As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #13 - Hammond: 2cute2furry-ous

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited June 2018 in Games and Technology
Don't know anything about Overwatch? First, congratulations for crawling out from underneath that rock. Second, go here and learn.
WELCOME TO SEASON 10!
zgrpc8nbwrbh.png
Welcome to Overwatch, Hammond!

1l6jq5uscm9y.png

HERE IS THE MAIN BLIZZARD PAGE FOR NEWS

Here's the patch notes page.

Here's a list of players I salvaged from the trash on Google Docs

jungleroomx on

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Ahhh that new thread smell. So salty.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Sorry no, it's brijeet.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Sorry no, it's brijeet.

Get out

• Options
    Bruh
    Gee (soft G, like in golf, not like get or gee)
    Tuhh

But, I'll be honest, in-game I just call her Bridget. At least I'm better than my brother. He calls Sombra Zarya. Not kidding. Makes for some very confusing callouts.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Flail Lady

• Options
    Cheapstun McGee

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I was mulling the quality of the skins in this event, and I think it's actually the best bunch of skins since the general new skin update around the beginning of the year, and probably the best since the Anniversary event... there's just nothing for heroes I actually play, but...

...I think Talon Sombra is actually her best skin.
    ...Blackwatch Moira is definitely her best skin (and I play her sometimes).
    ...that new Lucio skin is certainlyup there.
    ...and PajaMei is without a doubt my favorite Mei skin (and I play her sometimes). So last night I did what I haven't done since Anniversary - I fired fifty bucks at PSN and spent fifteen or twenty minutes opening loot boxes.

I got...
    • Amplitude Lucio
    • Subject 28 Winston
    • Rihanna Sombra
    • Orisa's new highlight intro
    • Zarya's new highlight intro
    • Doomfist's new highlight intro
    • PajaMei!

And now my gold credits are back up above 30K, I got all of Tracer's event voice lines and I'll be able to score Blackwatch Moira before the event ends without breakin' a sweat.

Ahhh being an adult is good, sometimes.

Edit: oh and a buncha' new victory poses, including Orisa's puppers!

Chance on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    blackwatch moira's golden weapons look so fuckin good but i'm still 500cp from affording them.. might have to just start grinding comp games
    (and to think i was considering brigitte's gold flail next, HA)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I barely notice skins after I have a good skin on every hero I care about. I guess I've reached peak skin for Overwatch.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I barely notice skins after I have a good skin on every hero I care about. I guess I've reached peak skin for Overwatch.

I, meanwhile, was elated when I got both Scion Hanzo and Talon Doomfist last night. I don't play either character and that's how my teammates like it.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options

I, meanwhile, was elated when I got both Scion Hanzo and Talon Doomfist last night. I don't play either character and that's how my teammates like it.

Scion Hanzo is awesome. Why that goober gets two normal-clothes skins while Tracer and Mei are counting their lucky stars to have one is beyond me.

...what we really need is Genji in a hoodie and jeans. And Zenyatta in a Hawaiian shirt. And also fancy dress/Scionesque clothes for everyone!

Give me Tracer in a suit you cowards!

tvheqzf9tesb.jpg

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Scion Hanzo is awesome. Why that goober gets two normal-clothes skins while Tracer and Mei are counting their lucky stars to have one is beyond me.

...what we really need is Genji in a hoodie and jeans. And Zenyatta in a Hawaiian shirt. And also fancy dress/Scionesque clothes for everyone!

Give me Tracer in a suit you cowards!

tvheqzf9tesb.jpg

Give me all characters in suits. If Maximilien isn't going to be a playable character, I all but demand a Maximilizen skin.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My only legendary so far for the event (out of maybe 6 boxes?) was the Barbarian Zarya skin.

I did get her new highlight too though.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Archives-related question:

Why is Tracer Cadet Oxton? Like, she was a test pilot and that usually comes with a military background - are we to imagine that she ended up achieving that job without actually being like a Lieutenant or Captain, or was Overwatch just so super-exclusive that you coulda' been an Admiral in the Real World, but if you wanna' join up you'll start as a Cadet, just like everyone else!

Really, we should all be addressing her as Captain, IMO. At least she didn't historically muck things up for everyone, Commander Reyes and Morrison!
    Nobody wrote: »
    My only legendary so far for the event (out of maybe 6 boxes?) was the Barbarian Zarya skin.

I did get her new highlight too though.

All the "new-gen" highlight intros - the new ones from the content update at the beginning of the year (Ana's, Bastion's, Soldier's) have been excellent, and what I've wanted from new highlight intros all along. It super-burns me that Tracer'll never get one >.< she seriously needs a highlight intro called Pulse Bomb.

I think her and Mercy are the only heroes who never actually use their weapons in any of their highlight intros. She's got guns! Never shoots 'em! She's got an ult! We never see it!

The Fantasy - the camera whips around desperately like Sombra's, and we can distinguish some terrifying, chipper giggling and blink trails just at the periphery of our vision. Suddenly the word STUCK! appears onscreen as a blink-trail flashes through us, finally revealing our tormentor.
    Tracer turns around and gives us her sharp little salute as the bomb goes off, a huge grin on her face.

Chance on
  • Options

Why is Tracer Cadet Oxton? Like, she was a test pilot and that usually comes with a military background - are we to imagine that she ended up achieving that job without actually being like a Lieutenant or Captain, or was Overwatch just so super-exclusive that you coulda' been an Admiral in the Real World, but if you wanna' join up you'll start as a Cadet, just like everyone else!

Really, we should all be addressing her as Captain, IMO. At least she didn't historically muck things up for everyone, Commander Reyes and Morrison!

Given how young she was I doubt she had much rank in the UK military. Presumably she became a test pilot without much seniority for whatever reason, and that didn't increase her rank within Overwatch which is an international organization.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Surveillance Symmetra

Symmetra's turrets no longer cause damage or, indeed, even attack. Instead, they act as surveillance cameras, giving Infrasight-esque vision effects on any enemy it has line of sight to out to a maximum range.

Rationale: infrasight is a powerful support effect, worth much more than the damage a turret will put out before an enemy can hit it for 1 HP of damage. And the turrets look like eyes anyway. Being able to see enemies through walls will allow Symmetra to better time her alternate fire.

Going weirder with it: in addition to the above, give Symmetra a cooldown skill that lets her selectively detonate, activate the attack capabilities of, or teleport to a turret within range. (One of the three, not all of them.) Makes her turrets much more dangerous when placed sparsely.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options

Given how young she was I doubt she had much rank in the UK military. Presumably she became a test pilot without much seniority for whatever reason, and that didn't increase her rank within Overwatch which is an international organization.

(Does research.)

Hmmm apparently the experimental Slipstream jet was actually Overwatch's - maybe she didn't have any kind of career before joining up?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Speaking of dying to Doomfist sometimes feeling kinda bullshit:

https://youtu.be/ZTbE3HysLTg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I shoulda had my 9 wins on uprising but 5 times we had people not get in the transport.

I hope this is smoothed out over time.

I wonder if I should move up to the 3rd difficulty.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    blackwatch moira's golden weapons look so fuckin good but i'm still 500cp from affording them.. might have to just start grinding comp games
    (and to think i was considering brigitte's gold flail next, HA)

I was extremely pleased to see how good these look, and how much more prominent they are than with the normal skins for her.

Quite happy with this one.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

(Does research.)

Hmmm apparently the experimental Slipstream jet was actually Overwatch's - maybe she didn't have any kind of career before joining up?

Or maybe flight rank doesn't carry over to special ops rank. Big difference between being a test pilot and what the ground people do.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sombra is really powerful on the Uprising map, her hack completely stuns the target Omnic for the duration, including Bastions.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Iirc Uprising is Tracer's first field mission as an Overwatch member, she's had no time to rank up.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I unlocked Rhianna Sombra, and bought Sexy Hanzo so far. I have two more arcade boxes to get before I have to play actual games. *shudder*

• Options

(Does research.)

Weird that she could still warp in her first mission, maybe Uprising takes place before her accident and canonically she didn't have her abilities yet, much like Reyes in Retribution.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

(Does research.)

Weird that she could still warp in her first mission, maybe Uprising takes place before her accident and canonically she didn't have her abilities yet, much like Reyes in Retribution.

I mean, retribution has Reaper doing all the Reaper things even though he isn't an undead nano-infused cyborg thingy yet. Wouldn't go looking for the missions to be 100% canon.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    "Moving on, we need to select a test pilot for the Slipstream initiative."

"Vice-admiral Hawkins. Obviously. Thousands of hours in the sky, a supernatural understanding of combat tactics, highly decorated..."

"I was leaning towards Oxton."

"Oxton's a kid, Jack."

"I like her attitude."

"She's not a super-scientist, she's not an accomplished sniper, she has no real abilities at all! She can't even maintain a proper haircut!"

"She's got the superpower of positive thinking. She'll never give up."

"Her tactics scores are practically in the negative! She spends entire missions just running around behind enemy lines, hoping to gank a squishy on their way back from spawn!"

"You know why she does that, Gabe? Because she believes in herself!"

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tracer canonically has her powers prior to her first field mission, read the Uprising comic

as for reaper... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Also they retcon stuff all the time, we've had like 3 different Reaper origins.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

"Vice-admiral Hawkins. Obviously. Thousands of hours in the sky, a supernatural understanding of combat tactics, highly decorated..."

Wouldn't you not want your experienced assets in the highly experimental prototype for exactly the reason of what happened happening?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Wouldn't you not want your experienced assets in the highly experimental prototype for exactly the reason of what happened happening?

Using real-world examples, military test pilots are generally among the most experienced and well-trained people specifically so that in case of something going wrong, they have the knowledge and composure to deal with it.

edit: composure not exposure, though I guess that sort of applies too

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Being an aircraft pilot is pretty demanding, to the point where it's seen as requiring skills & education equivalent to officer's or warrant officer's pay grades. As a result you usually become a 2nd/JG (depending on branch) Lieutenant as soon as you get your wings.
    Yilias wrote: »
    Also they retcon stuff all the time, we've had like 3 different Reaper origins.

I've been saying Overwatch is a superhero setting since before launch, they're just following in DC & Marvel's footsteps.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Holy crap the difficulty spike in the event from Normal to Hard is ridiculous.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    There's no way I could find it now but I'm sure there was once a dev video from waaaaay back near launch that OW is canonically in a multiverse similar to the superhero comic multiverses. Which is why you've got timelines (the games you're playing) where 76 and Reaper are working together post-breakup and also D.Va is with them for some reason despite having absolutely no connection to them on Earth 1.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Yep. Hard requires your Moira to be on point. And your dps to stay in sight....

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I didn't find it made a ton of difference on Retribution last night but it was pretty noticeable for Uprising.

Is the crit-point for the big guys in Retribution their backs? It seemed like it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_m8fcJb5tE
    At 55 seconds in, the lady herself clearly pronounces her name as "Bri Geet Tuh" ("i" as in 'it' and 'ill', hard "g" as in 'gal' and 'gasket').

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It's still their head, they just have a small head hitbox and an obscene amount of health.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    There's no way I could find it now but I'm sure there was once a dev video from waaaaay back near launch that OW is canonically in a multiverse similar to the superhero comic multiverses. Which is why you've got timelines (the games you're playing) where 76 and Reaper are working together post-breakup and also D.Va is with them for some reason despite having absolutely no connection to them on Earth 1.

You might have been influenced by my routinely saying, at every opportunity that I'm given the chance, that Overwatch is the massively continuity-spanning crossover game for a comics publisher that doesn't exist. With identical implications: the reason you can put Soldier 76 and Winston and Reaper and D.Va on the same team is that it's the "OW Comix" equivalent of "wouldn't it be great if there were a fighting game with everyone from DC?"

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Didn't we resolve the Brigitte pronunciation thing? Brigitte = Bregeta as in Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z.