As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Solo Reviews/Tauntaun Guts = Lukewarm.

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's never been as fun to think about, talk about or play with Star Wars related merchandise since that halcyon time in 1980 when the kid at school whose parents were either rich or about to divorce and fighting hard for their child's affections bought him an AT-AT and made him instantly the most popular boy around. It's a shame for everyone who wasn't around to enjoy the heyday of this franchise that will never end, but still.

Anyway, the last Star Wars thread was, on a regular basis, absolutely awful. I mean just downright terrible. Bad-tempered, endlessly rehashing old and tedious arguments, constantly taking what is a fun franchise about space wizards more seriously than, say, anything else. It was awful both to read and to be a part of. This thread may well go the same way, in which case it'll probably go on a break, just like Ross and Rachel, if you catch my hepcat cultural references. But I would urge you to not be a part of that decline into spittle-flecked yelling. If you catch yourself writing with a frown on your face, take a moment to ask yourself if, in fact, you wouldn't be better off not posting the long, detailed and enraged screed about why someone is wrong, and instead shrug and say oh well it doesn't really matter anyway.

Anyway anyway, this Solo movie is coming out soon. Here's a trailer for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEYpryMp2s

Talk about Star Wars, why you love it, the fun you had in the eighties playing with the awesome action figures/dolls and how your parents flogged them at a car boot sale for 10p each.

Bogart on

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I tell you what can instantly transport me back to the eighties and playing with Star Wars figures. The backs of the packaging. The pictures of all the figures in the range standing up, maybe shots of the vehicles underneath, the potent and tempting knowledge that there were this many to collect and cross off. Heady stuff.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Star Wars NES game was hard. And you exploded when you died. Force buildup?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    I tell you what can instantly transport me back to the eighties and playing with Star Wars figures. The backs of the packaging. The pictures of all the figures in the range standing up, maybe shots of the vehicles underneath, the potent and tempting knowledge that there were this many to collect and cross off. Heady stuff.

My dad knew a guy whose kids had a crapton of those Star Wars toys. They were huge and in my eight-year old perception of the world a sign of massive wealth and status.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

My dad knew a guy whose kids had a crapton of those Star Wars toys. They were huge and in my eight-year old perception of the world a sign of massive wealth and status.

Now I know my childhood was inferior for in my day having the entire Megazord was the ultimate status symbol. We had Optimus Prime though.

Back on topic the final scene in Rogue One is great and wonderful and could probably have been greater if
    Vader did not show up at all until that corridor.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I had a Vader shaped action figure case that was designed to hold them, with labeled spaces for everybody.

Not that I had any figures, mind you. I had a few, but they were the nobodies. The bald guy who takes care of the rancor? I had him.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We had almost all of the figures for the first three movies, I think, including the ones that were no fun to play with, like the Emperor's Guard, but none of the big vehicles. We had a few of the smaller sets, like the Hoth Laser Dish thingy but generally played with the figures in spaceships and cantinas made of cardboard boxes or Lego.

Kids who had stuff like the TIE fighter or *gasp* the AT-AT obviously had dads with money to burn.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I grew up more in the GI Joe and Transformer era, but when I was a wee tot my grandparents had a small box of toys, inside of which was a random Imperial officer. I'm pretty certain it wasn't Tarkin but other than that I don't remember.

My first Star Wars toy came later: A Han Solo in Stormtrooper armor, with removable helmet, obtained by sending in some cereal box tops. I still have it and the small bag it came in.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I had a Vader shaped action figure case that was designed to hold them, with labeled spaces for everybody.

Not that I had any figures, mind you. I had a few, but they were the nobodies. The bald guy who takes care of the rancor? I had him.

I had that case!

I also had the AT-AT. And the X-wing. And TIE fighter. And the Death Star station with the trash compactor room full of little foam bits and a stupid rubber trash monster. IIRC, you could turn a little crank and squish the stuff in there.

My parents were not loaded. Quite the opposite. But I was the "fortunate" product of divorce and parents competing to purchase my (and my brother's) affections. Yay! >.>

I miss those toys... :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    We were poor but this toy was like the one big toy I ever got and it was amazing:
    s649008395989639175_p229_i1_w560.jpeg

I didn't really have too many other Star Wars toys, though, so I had many GI Joe wars on it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I had an ewok. Not Wicket, because that would be too obvious. I think it was the chief. Tan coloured with a skull headdress.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    There is nothing more star wars for me than the Rogue Squadron briefing room voice and music.

That's where my nostalgia lies. Not because it was anywhere near the first star wars toy or game I had, but it was the first time me and a bunch of friends felt like actual rebel pilots.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The plot thickens!

This is another one of those maybe things, but if it's the thing I was talking about before then its huge spoilers for Solo:
    This was taken during the short clip of the space battle that occurs right after Han shows chewie his cards in the new tv spot:

x6ZSFQh.jpg

edit: seriously dont click this if you want to go in fresh, I kinda wish I hadnt seen it now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I loved the old Star Wars vehicles. We had an AT-ST and an X-Wing, which I loved, but the figures that went with them weren't great.

I still had a ton though.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    X-Wing is the best video game.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Until Tie Fighter came out, that is.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How can it be when TIE Fighter is better?

Less glibly: IMO TIE Fighter improved on X-Wing in every respect - not least in terms of mission design. X-Wing had too many missions that you could only survive if you were prescient... or if you'd played the mission several times before and knew exactly where each wave would come from. TIE Fighter still had puzzley missions, but they didn't favour luck, guesswork or reading a mission guide to the same extent. X-Wing often felt unfair; TIE Fighter much less so.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Rouge Squadron 2 on the GameCube was my jam.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Rouge Squadron 2 on the GameCube was my jam.

Wedge looked fabulous with that makeup on.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »

Until Tie Fighter came out, that is.

I am in the minority thinking X-Wing is better, I fully admit. X-Wing made me feel like I was really part of the Rebel Alliance during the OT.

TIE Fighter made me feel like I was flying magic TIE fighters that they made up so that you’d have something more interesting to fly than a TIE fighter.

• Options
    TIE Fighter was the better game. That’s fair.

I enjoyed X-Wing more.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I would still give my left arm - or, perhaps more fittingly, a hand - for a modern version of either game, one that truly looks and sounds like a Star Wars movie. Current computers would be capable of doing justice to the universe's designs. And if there was a VR mode, I would probably go mad with geeky glee. And I'm saying this as someone who hasn't really geeked out over Star Wars in, oh, 20 years or longer.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm old, but the shift from the x486 era computer games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter) to the console games (Rogue Squadrons) left something lacking in gameplay, IMO. Sure, I was kid but still...

The console games were too.....arcade-y? Also, I didn't own a Super Nintendo. (And only bought an N64 in University just for Ocarina of Time) so that era of Star Wars games passed me by. And today's era of mindless Battlefront style games does not interest me either. Give me a story wrapped around my pew-pew, thank you very much.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I would still give my left arm - or, perhaps more fittingly, a hand - for a modern version of either game, one that truly looks and sounds like a Star Wars movie. Current computers would be capable of doing justice to the universe's designs. And if there was a VR mode, I would probably go mad with geeky glee. And I'm saying this as someone who hasn't really geeked out over Star Wars in, oh, 20 years or longer.

Yup.. that is pretty much my dream VR game, still po'd that the only thing we have seen was that short VR mission for the playstation version of Battlefront.

Gimme both single player missions and multiplayer, co-op modes. I want to be in my cherry red A-Wing, defending a small squad of B-wings as they take out an Interdictor so we can jump our Nebulon-B Frigate to safety.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Until this last Christmas, I had a 90% complete AT-AT and 95% complete Slave I (including Boba Fett and frozen Han Solo; missing the ramp) salted away in my crawlspace. They have survived my childhood, storage at my Mom's during college, several moves across town and out of state. This last Christmas, I drove back to my ancestral home and spent a day with my best friend in the world, whose 6-year-old son is a huge Star Wars fan and who went as Boba Fett last Halloween (his dad has been making seriously-good papier-mâché costumes for himself for years, so he had a pretty rockin' Fett suit).

I had been keeping these things, along with a gallon-sized box of Matchbox Star Wars toys, figures, etc. for my own progeny, but it has become apparent that my daughter is going down a different road - Star Wars doesn't really hail her, but she cannot get enough of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Harry Potter. So last Christmas, I go to my friend's house and bring in a couple boxes. I open the first one and lift out the AT-AT. Kid's eyes bug from his head. His dad asks him, "What is that, kiddo?" "AN ICE WALKER" "No", I correct him, "this is your ice walker". Then he saw Slave I.

Happy as he was, it made me incredibly happy to see those toys finding a second career of active use. I think I might have been happier for him than he was for himself. Good times. Thanks, Star Wars!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

The PSVR DLC for Battlefront 1 comes pretty close, actually, to scratching that itch for me. Throw in some better shield/power management and a well-written campaign and watch me just roll a wheelbarrow full of money up to EA's front door.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Less glibly: IMO TIE Fighter improved on X-Wing in every respect - not least in terms of mission design. X-Wing had too many missions that you could only survive if you were prescient... or if you'd played the mission several times before and knew exactly where each wave would come from. TIE Fighter still had puzzley missions, but they didn't favour luck, guesswork or reading a mission guide to the same extent. X-Wing often felt unfair; TIE Fighter much less so.

God yes. Tour 1, Mission 4.

Yes, I remember that fucking mission number. There's a disabled Nebulon medical frigate that needs to be evacuated by shuttles coming in and transferring casualties.

Star Destroyers pop in on alternating sides of it and fart out TIE Bombers and you have to haul ass like a madman between the incoming waves and pray that you can actually take them out.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    We were poor but this toy was like the one big toy I ever got and it was amazing:

I didn't really have too many other Star Wars toys, though, so I had many GI Joe wars on it.

I still have that Ewok village (we didn't have any other big Star Wars sets either). We had enough figures to populate the village though and several of the smaller vehicles (the ones that never appeared in the movie.. nor even in the comics.) The holy grail to me never was the AT-AT though, nor the X-Wing or Tie Fighter, but weirdly enough the Snowspeeder.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I still have that Ewok village (we didn't have any other big Star Wars sets either). We had enough figures to populate the village though and several of the smaller vehicles (the ones that never appeared in the movie.. nor even in the comics.) The holy grail to me never was the AT-AT though, nor the X-Wing or Tie Fighter, but weirdly enough the Snowspeeder.

Friend of mine had a ton of Star Wars and Gi-Joe.. he had the Terrordrome and the USS Flagg. Anyways the Snowspeeder was fantastic because it had the light up laser barrels (which would break quite easily)

here is a video of a guy fixing the electronics/mechanicals on his classic snowspeeder..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uM2Y7fl9D0

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Yes, I remember that fucking mission number. There's a disabled Nebulon medical frigate that needs to be evacuated by shuttles coming in and transferring casualties.

Star Destroyers pop in on alternating sides of it and fart out TIE Bombers and you have to haul ass like a madman between the incoming waves and pray that you can actually take them out.

What's great is that mission made it to the books, specifically the first Rogue Squadron book. It was the training mission everyone hated.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

Now I know my childhood was inferior for in my day having the entire Megazord was the ultimate status symbol. We had Optimus Prime though.

Back on topic the final scene in Rogue One is great and wonderful and could probably have been greater if

I clicked the spoiler and regretted it, but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    My mother got me the Star Wars trivial pursuit, wich I think I only played a couple of times and always won, being the only hardcore fan amongst my friends. It wasnt any good anyway.

BUT !! the dice was an R2D2 that you push its head to roll the dice, and it made some R2D2-esque sounds before showing the number.
    I inmediately added it to my RPG dices, and it became the most popular d6 dice in all the following AD&D campaigns. We also used the game pieces, they were nice.

8qfir2ikkkl2.jpg

edit: I think it was late 90s?

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I clicked the spoiler and regretted it, but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at.

The only thing I can probably safely say is, watch Rogue One.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I'm thinking they quoted the wrong post with a spoiler.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Point!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Maybe I'm old, but the shift from the x486 era computer games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter) to the console games (Rogue Squadrons) left something lacking in gameplay, IMO. Sure, I was kid but still...

The console games were too.....arcade-y? Also, I didn't own a Super Nintendo. (And only bought an N64 in University just for Ocarina of Time) so that era of Star Wars games passed me by. And today's era of mindless Battlefront style games does not interest me either. Give me a story wrapped around my pew-pew, thank you very much.

Totally agree with you, the console games were arcade shooters designed to be played with a controller having a half dozen buttons.
    X-wing, TIE Fighter and Alliance were simulators designed with the knowledge that you'd have a keyboard and a joystick to use for all the nifty little functions that you could want.

After playing the latter, the former just wasn't as much fun. I'm sure that if I had played the Rogue Squadron games first though, the simulators would probably be incomprehensibly complex.

On the toy front, I never had any of the original ones, I was a little young for them when they came out. But I've always wanted the B-wing.
    Sure, I have four of them made out of Lego, but that's not enough.

• Options
    I don’t know how much money I’d spend on modern X-Wing/TIE Fighter in VR.

It’s a lot.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

What's great is that mission made it to the books, specifically the first Rogue Squadron book. It was the training mission everyone hated.

I think for the time, that mission did an acceptable job of teaching the player that constantly diverting energy to shields and guns at the expense of engines won't always work.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I don’t know how much money I’d spend on modern X-Wing/TIE Fighter in VR.

It’s a lot.

Well, it might not cost a lot for the software...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwYK9Bmot4

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I tried playing TIE Fighter on a Pentium 3 one time and I flew across the galaxing in about 8 seconds. The age of games where play speed was based on processor speed. That was an experience.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

I'm just gonna reply to it here as if it were a reply to my post, since thats obviously what it was:
    It's either Slave 1, a Firefly (which Slave 1 is a customized version of), or a rock that looks and flies exactly like Slave 1 would

edit: there's also a new tv spot showing the most badass toss ever:

https://youtu.be/RGGyTO-VlUs

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
This discussion has been closed.