As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TotalBiscuit has passed away.

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
Long battle with cancer, finally lost. He fought to the end. Man gave a lot to the developing online games content creation scene, he'll be a big loss.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    He was one of the first Gamers I saw on Youtube and one of my earliest subscriptions. I really liked him, although he was a bit of an ass at times. Fuck Cancer.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Fuck cancer. He was a great guy. :(

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It was just this past month that he had announced he was quitting things like reddit after getting the final news about treatment not working. I wasn't expecting this to happen this soon.

I'm leaving it at that, despite more being warranted to say of him.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'll miss him. I started being a fan of his during the SC2 heyday and never stopped. Once he was diagnosed, it was inspiring to watch his tenacity and positivity.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I was never a subscriber but I did end up watching a number of his vids recently. I also listened to a few of the interviews he gave over the past 1-2 years. Now I wish I'd boarded that train sooner.

Part of me wants to dig up some of his top 10s and give them some due attention.

Also I'm 6 years older than him; which is close enough to still hit home.

Goddamnit cancer. God fucking damnit.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I really liked these funny snack-box reviews he did, he manages to look good even in a Wookie dressing gown (2016).

RIP. :(

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Take solace in the end of his suffering, Few men can say they will be mourned by as many as he.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I may not have agreed with all his views, but it sucks to see Cancer take someone away like this.

His Terraria lets plays with Jesse Cox were probably the first Let's Plays I ever watched, and were what got me watching more of those over the years.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I never really agreed with a lot of his viewpoints, but his youtube 'WTF is...?' series of first impression reviews were well done in my opinion, and shed light on a lot of games that I know I personally might have overlooked. He managed to produce a great amount of work and I'm sure in the future I'll run across one of his reviews again. Sad to hear he's passed.
    Here's a playlist of his WTF is...? series:

Zavian on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    RIP
    :bigfrown:

I have always had a big respect for what he has done for PC gaming and e-sports. The world is a little less bright today for sure.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    He contributed to the video games industry in so many capacities that few individuals could, not just in video content creation. Though I am saddened by the news of his passing, it is uplifting to see multiple major gaming communities come out at this time to pay tribute to his amazing work and accomplishments. Godspeed TB

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Man, fuck cancer.

Did he ever reverse himself with regards to his positions in GG?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Huge contributor to the gaming scene. I definitely didn't agree with a lot of what he said and think he lost the forest for the trees with his focus on framerates etc over actual content but he was a really entertaining voice. He also introduced me to a lot of other gaming personalities through his content.

I'll miss his voice amongst the rest of the industry for sure.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Man, fuck cancer.

Did he ever reverse himself with regards to his positions in GG?

He didn't. And I'm bummed that he had to pass while still desperately on the wrong side of something so important to an industry he was passionate about and made contributions to.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i don't think its possible to have discourse about gamergate without it devolving into a shitfest so could we Not

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I known the guy from PlanetSide Radio. He made killing dudes in space fun while picking random music to play, even for a TR player.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    As a general rule for people who have passed, if you feel the need to make comments along the general lines of "I didnt care for/agree with/like/etc, but it sucks they've died", Either clip out the first half or just dont comment. A person is dead and using that to throw your last digs at them is in poor taste.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    To anyone not familiar with him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM

He was known for doing 'first impressions' rather than reviews. Basically just loading the game up, going through the options screen, playing the first half hour of the game (skipping spoilers if necessary) and telling people how the game felt. This was back before every game had 300+ youtube reviews, and you were reliant on heavily biased IGN reviews ("they didn't pay me for the 10/10 review, but they do pay me") or edited gameplay videos from the late, great gametrailers.com.

He was responsible for getting many console ports fixed or lambasted, GREATLY increasing the quality of ports over the past ten years. He also railed against anti-consumer marketing techniques like pay-to-win microtransactions and pre-order bonuses, which heavily impacted the industry. The meme of him and FoV sliders and 60FPS is real, but this was another pro-consumer (that's you) stance that helped players with seizures and motion sickness, while also making sure that big publishers like EA weren't giving you a shoddy product while still charging full price.

He also was an extremely ethical person, revealing when he was being paid for certain content and promotional videos back when many (read: nearly everyone) did not. He also refused to do a video on The Witcher 3 because he had done promotional content for The Witcher 2. Considering how popular TW3 is/was, he probably would have gotten several million views on what would have been at least an hour long video (read: he gave up $$$$$$$$$$). But he didn't, because he didn't want to betray his userbase.

If you've ever played Warframe, Starcraft 2 League of Legends, used Steam or a host of other games, you should thank TB for his work in the industry. His contributions to the PC gaming hobby and industry can literally not be understated.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    "Ethical" being a relative term given his contributions to Goobergate.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    As a general rule for people who have passed, if you feel the need to make comments along the general lines of "I didnt care for/agree with/like/etc, but it sucks they've died", Either clip out the first half or just dont comment. A person is dead and using that to throw your last digs at them is in poor taste.
    And a general rule for people period, whether they're alive or dead: if you feel the need to make comments along the general lines of "he was an extremely ethical person and he also did XYZ" when he wasn't, either clip out the first half or just don't comment. Many of us know people who have been threatened with death, rape, and other things because TotalBiscuit mentioned them, and ignoring that stuff to falsely lionize someone is also in extremely poor taste. I'm happy to stay out of this thread as long as people don't pretend like TB was a perfect human being, but as soon as labels like "extremely ethical person" start getting thrown around, it's a little ridiculous to hold my tongue. Restraint has to be shown by everyone, not just people who have legitimate grievances against someone who stoked literal neo-Nazis into attacking women.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Alternatively, maybe let people mourn in their own way?
    Personally it feels disingenuous to ignore the reality of who the person was. TB was well known for being a great voice in the industry that had some problematic povs on things. That's not a dig on his character or what he did for the industry at all. It's the reality of what happened.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If we wish to celebrate the good, we should also be ready to condemn the bad.
    That said, death of a person is rarely a good thing, and my sympathy is with those who grieve him.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I known the guy from PlanetSide Radio. He made killing dudes in space fun while picking random music to play, even for a TR player.

My brother knew him from back then as well, since he was involved in PlanetSide Radio and they knew eachother pretty well over mIRC and early chat stuff, though that didn't carry on till today it's still a bit personal for him.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    TB was one of the better Internet People. He was a bastion for consumer rights and corporate responsibility, and a damn good critic to boot. His 'I Suck at Starcraft 2' videos got me down the RTS rabbit hole in a bit way, and his colour commentary made eSports a thing worth watching, not to mention funding his own team and running his own tournaments. He will be missed, even by those who didn't like him - his contributions to gaming as a whole exceed any of the mistakes he made.

I'm going to put the GG commentary in spoilers, since I don't think it's particularly relevant, but I feel it should be cleared up for those who think TB was tainted by it.
    TB was 'involved' in GG back at the very beginning when it was legitimately about reviewer/game dev collusion. He made (IIRC) two twitter posts about it (one and two) and when it became clear GG had been hijacked by people with a very different agenda from 'ethical journalism' he ceased his involvement. He made no further tweets or comments, but stood by his original posts.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Apogee wrote: »
    I'm going to put the GG commentary in spoilers, since I don't think it's particularly relevant, but I feel it should be cleared up for those who think TB was tainted by it.
    TB was 'involved' in GG back at the very beginning when it was legitimately about reviewer/game dev collusion. He made (IIRC) two twitter posts about it (one and two) and when it became clear GG had been hijacked by people with a very different agenda from 'ethical journalism' he ceased his involvement. He made no further tweets or comments, but stood by his original posts.
    This is, sadly, wrong. TB stuck with GG until the end. A month after what you recall to be his last post on the topic, he said he stuck by GamerGate. Two years ago (when any halfway reasonable human being could manifestly see that GamerGate was a misogynistic witch hunt run by neo-Nazis), he again defended GamerGate, saying that Zoe Quinn and others "lied and lied and lied" and that "a hashtag is not a gorup". He even said "the only people driving women out of the games industry are the fear-mongering yellow journalists repeating the narrative that women are under attack." He literally thinks that the death and rape threats, driven in large part by his fanbase going after women that he happens to mention in a negative light, are not driving people out of the industry. He blames journalists instead, for covering these sorts of stories ("repeating the narrative"). He then claimed that the only people against GamerGate are either ignorant or dishonest.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Apogee wrote: »
    This is, sadly, wrong. TB stuck with GG until the end. A month after what you recall to be his last post on the topic, he said he stuck by GamerGate. Two years ago (when any halfway reasonable human being could manifestly see that GamerGate was a misogynistic witch hunt run by neo-Nazis), he again defended GamerGate, saying that Zoe Quinn and others "lied and lied and lied" and that "a hashtag is not a gorup". He even said "the only people driving women out of the games industry are the fear-mongering yellow journalists repeating the narrative that women are under attack." He literally thinks that the death and rape threats, driven in large part by his fanbase going after women that he happens to mention in a negative light, are not driving people out of the industry. He blames journalists instead, for covering these sorts of stories ("repeating the narrative").
    And of course, Gamergate was never legitimately about "reviewer/game dev collusion," -- as if that's even an actual problem to begin with -- and was literally started by a dude who wanted to get back at a dirty female who spurned him.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    One of the only games-related "celebrities" I could actually identify, one of the only Steam curators I actually paid attention to. I probably bought more wacky little indie games that I never would have given a second (or first) look to, due to him and his WTF looks. Always really enjoyed that he didn't seem to sugar coat flaws in things he obviously enjoyed and generally delivered a really honest take on things.

He will be missed. Literally, I don't have any other steam curators or youtube people who I know/like/trust to direct me to interesting games that tend to fly under the radar.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

His opinions on nebulous internet drama are completely irrelevant. His contributions to the PC gaming industry are titanic. If you don't think it's ethical for a media critic to disclose their ties to the creator of the content they're reviewing, then I can see why you'd disagree.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »

His opinions on nebulous internet drama are completely irrelevant. His contributions to the PC gaming industry are titanic. If you don't think it's ethical for a media critic to disclose their ties to the creator of the content they're reviewing, then I can see why you'd disagree.
    Gamegate was much more than just a "nebulous internet drama", and as a well known and influential voice in gaming community, TotalBiscuits contributions on it do matter.

• Options

Since you're outing yourself as a pro-GamerGator here, I'd like to apologize to everyone in this thread who wants to keep the discussion away from the sad, messy, shitty stuff in TB's life, because it was @Carnavon's post (and my reply) that touched off this whole discussion, and if I had known I was talking with someone who supporter GamerGate I wouldn't have engaged in the first place, because of course down that route lies nothing but despair. If people want to talk about whether TB supported GamerGate, which is obviously a terrible shitty thing to do, then I'm happy to have that discussion, and I don't think that's disrespectful or out of place in this thread, but it has to be a discussion that admits from the top that GamerGate is awful. (So, for instance, @Apogee I'm happy to continue our conversation.) I don't want to turn the thread into a fight about GamerGate, the way @Carnarvon is trying to do here, so I'll stop engaging with anyone who supports the harassment of women and everything else that comes along with supporting GamerGate. I encourage other people to do the same, because whether GamerGate is awful is a separate question from where TB stood on it. Whatever one's own views on GG are, they are irrelevant to what TB's views were.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i don't think its possible to have discourse about gamergate without it devolving into a shitfest so could we Not

Apparently, no, we can't.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I never really watched any of his videos (or anyone else's - I just don't follow gaming in that way), but I was quite aware of him anyway. But what I do know is that he was hugely popular, that he had quite an impact on gaming, that he also had some problematic views on some things, and above all - fuck cancer.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Since you're outing yourself as a pro-GamerGator here, I'd like to apologize to everyone in this thread who wants to keep the discussion away from the sad, messy, shitty stuff in TB's life, because it was @Carnavon's post (and my reply) that touched off this whole discussion, and if I had known I was talking with someone who supporter GamerGate I wouldn't have engaged in the first place, because of course down that route lies nothing but despair. If people want to talk about whether TB supported GamerGate, which is obviously a terrible shitty thing to do, then I'm happy to have that discussion, and I don't think that's disrespectful or out of place in this thread, but it has to be a discussion that admits from the top that GamerGate is awful. (So, for instance, @Apogee I'm happy to continue our conversation.) I don't want to turn the thread into a fight about GamerGate, the way @Carnarvon is trying to do here, so I'll stop engaging with anyone who supports the harassment of women and everything else that comes along with supporting GamerGate. I encourage other people to do the same, because whether GamerGate is awful is a separate question from where TB stood on it. Whatever one's own views on GG are, they are irrelevant to what TB's views were.

I haven't heard anything about it since when it first came up, and I couldn't care less about nebulous ((of a concept or idea) unclear, vague, or ill-defined) internet (a global computer network providing a variety of information and communication facilities, consisting of interconnected networks using standardized communication protocols) drama (a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces ). I appreciate the extreme logical leaps and virtue signalling @TychoCelchuuu. I was responding to someone who made a comment on my post, and (I feel) attacked a someone I care about, @TychoCelchuuu.

I have absolutely no intent on talking about gamer gate because I have absolutely no interest in it. I do have an interest in speaking upon the character of someone who has just died.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It took less than a page for this to happen. For fuck's sake people.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

You don’t understand! People who disagree with me are bad ! Fuck sake guys act like adults and take it to pm if it’s so freaking crucial.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

I don't think anyone here is going to argue that GG wasn't a terrible blight on social media. The short of it the issue is that TB was involved in GG for a while, and the question is whether or not he was being misogynistic. Given his fairly liberal views of the world, I highly doubt that.
    I think TB wanted GG to be something that it wasn't; I can't imagine him as an alt-right GG supporter, and it makes a lot more sense that the puddle he stepped in turned out to be a well. Regardless, we can't ask him now - and it was pretty clear in the last few years that he didn't want to talk about it.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Someone passing doesn't mean all the sudden they didn't have some shitty viewpoints. If you feel compelled to discuss it please keep it about TB and don't use it t hash out value judgments about fellow formers.

• Options

The fact that you dont think its disrespectful to use a casket as a fucking soapbox to stroke a hate boner you've been stroking for years, unable to take a single day off of it..unable to let the body even cool the fuck down before you start, much less make a separate thread about it, says more about you than it does anyone else.. and its a fucking disappointment.

Seriously, one day. You and others couldnt show some base human decorum to keep your hate boners in your pants for one day. This isn't god damn Jimmy Savile or fucking Manson we're talking about, its guy on the internet, with one issue and view you didnt agree with, and you couldnt show the base human decency to put your hate boners in your pants for one day and reserve your opinions. Couldnt go create a thread for this topic thats so important as must be discussed, Couldnt not dance on his freaking death announcement.
    3clipse wrote: »

Exactly, I'm not even angry..I'm just disappointed about the whole fucking thing.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    For fucks sake.

I appreciate his contributions to my hobbies, he will be missed.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Fuuuuck, he was my age?!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.