As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BYOC Registration - PAX West 2018!

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2018 in PAX West
The one, the only, Bring Your Own Computer for PAX West 2018!

Want to be part of a rad PAX Lan Party? This is how you do that! BYOC is a dedicated LAN Party area in the PC section of PAX for you to bring your cool rig or your travel machine or just your gaming laptop and hang out and game with other attendees! The BYOC badge does not grant you entry to PAX itself, you need both BYOC and PAX general admission badges in order to participate!

Register here:

https://www.showclix.com/event/byocpaxwest18/

zerzhul on

• Options
    amaskedmanamaskedman Registered User regular
    Last year was my first BYOC PAX... IT WAS AWESOME. I suggested ECCC do the same thing...

How do I register a group and pick a spot? I have a group of 8

• Options
    amaskedman wrote: »
    Last year was my first BYOC PAX... IT WAS AWESOME. I suggested ECCC do the same thing...

How do I register a group and pick a spot? I have a group of 8
    Once everyone gets their BYOC badges, then you wait for the group registration thread to pop up. The Enforcer(s) in charge of that will post it closer to the show. It can range from a month and a half to a few weeks before the show. Once that goes up, you just give them your group name and seat choices in the form they ask for it to be sent in.

• Options
    Thank you for the quick response. I do IT for a living and getting PAX badges was more stressful than replacing a SAN.

• Options
    H4W7DuhmanH4W7Duhman Registered User regular
    Is there any benefit to doing BYOC rather than Freeplay?

• Options
    H4W7Duhman wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to doing BYOC rather than Freeplay?
    PC Freeplay is limited to time slots. You show up, wait in line if there is one, then get a time slot to play (usually 45 minutes to an hour I think?). The advantage is that they are really nice machines with loads of great games already on them. You can leave and come back as many times as you want, but you can't just be there continuously.

with BYOC, you bring your own gaming PC, set it up at the PAX LAN (separate from PC Freeplay) and can play it whenever you want with other PAXers or just as you would with freeplay.

• Options
    IxaonIxaon Registered User regular
    I did BYOC last year at my first PAX and I loved it! Gaming in a room with hundreds of other people was a blast. The environment is just...cool. No other word for it. Totally secure. Definitely doing it again. I was exposed to new games I'd see other people playing then go sit at my PC and log into Steam, Battle.net or whichever and purchase a new game or trial and within minutes I'm gaming with new people I've met sitting nearby. Just a blast! I highly recommend it.

~Ixaon

wj1m8bicr1ty.png
  • Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    Did BYOC actually sell out? Showclix is saying the tickets are no longer available. Don't think I've seen that happen in several years.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    AtlantienAtlantien Registered User regular
    I think they sold out, up until a few days ago you could still buy them.

• Options
    edited July 2018

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SinSharksSinSharks Registered User new member
    edited July 2018

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ArmadillosArmadillos Registered User new member
    edited July 2018

zerzhul on
  • Options
    celycely Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    @SinSharks @Armadillos
    The buying or selling of PAX Passes, hotel room reservations, or anything else is expressly forbidden.
    Source: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165388/the-rules

You might want to try r/paxpassexchange on reddit instead.

cely on
    rqUHgCM.png
  • Options
    FEARtheGingerFEARtheGinger Registered User new member
    Is this true that BYOC badges are sold out? Mix up with the group and we missed 2 seats.

Haven’t seen it sold out in a couple years. If sold out, is there a waitlist? Or potential of more seats opening up?

• Options
    Is this true that BYOC badges are sold out? Mix up with the group and we missed 2 seats.

Haven’t seen it sold out in a couple years. If sold out, is there a waitlist? Or potential of more seats opening up?
    Well, they aren't purchasable anymore. We don't have any numbers on sales, of course. You try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and see if they have more info about it.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    They just opened up more BYOC tickets
    https://www.showclix.com/event/byocpaxwest18

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Got it. I just got out of a work meeting too.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    I wonder if this was a case of being able to secure a few more BYOC spots, or if there just happened to be some badges caught up in the reclamation process. I'm still kinda surprised it sold out as quickly as it did initially.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    gamebrigadagamebrigada Registered User new member
    My group (Hat Life 3) got really upset when we realized that tickets were sold out, so we bugged the crap out of them with multiple emails and tweets. They had tickets available again the next morning. I think somewhere they screwed up and closed sales. I've never heard of them reclaiming BYOC. They usually don't sell out either.

• Options
    Why would you be upset with the people selling the tickets? I've bought blizzcon tickets where if you weren't in the queue within 5 seconds, you didn't get tickets. PAX BYOC tickets sold out in what 3 weeks?

• Options
    theabysstheabyss Spokane WA Registered User regular
    When is group seating registration going to be available? Thanks

• Options
    When group registration opens are badge numbers required?

• Options
    Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    Trying to find out who is running the event. I have messaged Dreggor and Vapok.

Let me know if that is the right people or not.

Thanks

Elmy

• Options
    Vapok hasn't been part of pax for a handful of years now. Dreggor isn't a bad ask, but I don't know who's doing it this year.

• Options
    amaskedman wrote: »
    When group registration opens are badge numbers required?
    no

• Options
    Does anyone know if passes are Will Call? There's a standard shipping option, but I bought mine right when sales reopened and it still hasn't shipped yet. I assume it probably is, but I was wondering if anyone knew.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they charged me for shipping on the second wave of BYOC, so I would assume I don't have to sit through will-call and that they'll be shipped.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    hey folks, for updated byoc info, please move on over to this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/221159/pax-west-2018-byoc-mega-thread/p1

This discussion has been closed.