As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Sword and Shield: Out now. Mark your spoilers!

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    let's get some cryptid pokemon

mothman, tsuchinoko, various loch ness monster knockoffs

Dunsparce is very upset that you forgot him.

xDrNhsa.png

oh no don't make that face

i'm sorry

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    does Lapras count as Nessie?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    We need evolutions for Pokemon that never got them.

Dunsparce, Zangoose, Seviper, Girafarig

• Options

probably close enough, but i want the even less plausible lake monsters

a mythical water type that, when initially encountered, looks like a neck and head of some big sea serpent, rising above the water, but actually that's just the whole pokemon

it paddles around with tiny feet

or just a bird that likes to sleep on floating logs and accidentally creates mysterious silhouettes

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Give us a Dark Gym you cowards

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

probably close enough, but i want the even less plausible lake monsters

a mythical water type that, when initially encountered, looks like a neck and head of some big sea serpent, rising above the water, but actually that's just the whole pokemon

it paddles around with tiny feet

or just a bird that likes to sleep on floating logs and accidentally creates mysterious silhouettes

My first thought when thinking of Nessie-alikes was actually Milotic along those lines, before I remembered there is a literal plesiosaur mon

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Single-stage Pokemon are good and valid, actually

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That said I do think that the two most interesting things to do with starter evolutions is a reverse triangle (so every starter has a STAB move against each of the others) or a neutralizing one.

Gen 4 would like to have a word with you.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Terrendos wrote: »
    That said I do think that the two most interesting things to do with starter evolutions is a reverse triangle (so every starter has a STAB move against each of the others) or a neutralizing one.

Gen 4 would like to have a word with you.

It's not a full reverse triangle since Infernape is good against Empoleon but both are weak to Torterra's Ground attacks.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options

I just wish they made them a little better. The BST boost they have at the start of the game doesn't make up for them being a drag as it gets later. Ones like Tauros and Miltank are fine because they have the spreads to hang, but trying to take a Girafarig or Dunsparce all the way through a game seems not that great. Maybe something funky like giving single stagers higher EV caps so they have a mostly-invisible way to scale better?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I just wish they made them a little better. The BST boost they have at the start of the game doesn't make up for them being a drag as it gets later. Ones like Tauros and Miltank are fine because they have the spreads to hang, but trying to take a Girafarig or Dunsparce all the way through a game seems not that great. Maybe something funky like giving single stagers higher EV caps so they have a mostly-invisible way to scale better?

I've never had an issue with any of them on a non-competitive level. Dunsparce has been an essential component of multiples of my teams. Base stat total is only slightly more impactful than IVs and EVs in single player. Worst case scenario you actually have to be a bit strategic rather than steamrolling everything with good stab

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Give Fan Rotom an ability that isn't Levitate.

• Options
    Eh, maybe I'm projecting from my struggles trying to take Linoone/Furret/Pidgeot through the E4. I've felt it gets to a point where they're just generally outmatched in how much damage they give out versus what they take, ending up in the "get off one status move and buy an extra turn to revive another mon" role. There's not a whole lot of strategy to be done when you die in two hits to neutral moves at even levels.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Give Fan Rotom an ability that isn't Levitate.

And make him vulnerable to the dreaded Soak/Earthquake combo? Perish the thought.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I had not actually heard of anyone using Soak at all.

• Options
    The soak combos I usually see from the AI in that game are either Soak/Soak/Soak/Soak... or Soak/Water Gun

The AI is real dumb

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm pretty sure anyone trying to use pyukumuku was packing soak so they could always land toxic

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Would Pokemon be better if it displayed damage numbers when you attacked?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ehhhh
    not really

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In fact I turn damage numbers off for most games that let me do so

• Options
    Having a percentage bar, like Showdown does, would be helpful since occasionally you misjudge when eyeballing the health bar and make a strategic error, but hard numbers would not be great imo

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Also do we think the next gen will push us over 1000 Pokemons?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They seem to be dreading that so no. We might get into the 900s

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Probably not, we're only at 809 total and they've been scaling back on the overall number of new Pokemon lately. I hope we'll see some more regional variants of older Pokemon, but even if we don't, and especially considering the move to a new system, I don't expect a huge number of brand new entries.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    900 pokemon and 100 awful ultra beasts

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The only thing awful about ultra beast is their explanation and how you have to catch them. That shit will haunt them forever in all new games. As pokemon I think they're neat.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »

parachute onto an island...

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Don't drop into Kalos, it's got bad loot spawns.

Edit:
    nGH2vVfl.png

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Pokemon Grey and Pokemon Z, coming Holiday 2019.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Pokemon Pokemon and Pokemon Digimon

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    D0TVozzWkAAh0CP.png
    D0TVp1tX4AcelZZ.png

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Pokemon Pokemon and Pokemon Digimon

Finally

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fan rotom should have an ability roughly like this:

Backdraft / Air Cycle / Clean Sweep — Upon entrance all entry hazards are removed. Rotom deals 10% damage to its opponents for each entry hazard that was in play.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My legitimate guess for the name is Sword and Shield, since I think that's an interesting dynamic, but those expectations are tempered (heh).

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Battle Network

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    My legitimate guess for the name is Sword and Shield, since I think that's an interesting dynamic, but those expectations are tempered (heh).

OH so it's another Yellow where there's only one starter

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    My perennial guess is East and West until they finally use those

• Options
    Justice and Valor

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Good and Evil.

pHWHd2G.jpg
This discussion has been closed.