As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is my rabbit doing to my computer?

M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
Relevant Info:
Running a desktop PC w/ Windows 7 (Ultimate K)
Using a wireless Logitech keyboard, model K270: https://t1.daumcdn.net/cfile/tistory/2255B34555B0DEC00F?original
I am not running the additional Logitech software (which display battery life, and allows custom mapping of the shortcut keys up top)

When I press the "PC" button on the top, it will put my computer into what I guess is sleep mode. I can then revive the PC by pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse.

However, my rabbit has a tendency to jump across my lap, and more often than not, whatever key(s) it is landing on puts my PC into a mode similar to sleep, but I can't reawaken it without pressing the power button on my desktop.

What mode is being activated and what key or keys are my rabbit pressing to do so?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Top right of the keyboard is a PC Power button, which by default puts the computer into sleep mode. It doesn't look like there's a great way to disable that button in software, judging by discussions online.

Also I've reported the post for not including a picture of the offender. The rule isn't just for cats and dogs.

Edit: this thread has some info on changing settings in Logitech's software so you can disable that button.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    If you're referencing the button above F8, I'm aware of it, and use it often (as I said, when put into sleep mode via that button, I can awaken the PC via keypress or mouse button)...
    ....but whatever the rabbit's pressing is doing something different (hibernate?) because the only way to restore the PC after the rabbit does it is to press the power button on the tower itself (no input from keyboard/mouse will reawaken it from that state).

Ha, and yeah, he's a cute one. I'll have to post tonight when I get home.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    That does sound like hibernate. Do you have any custom button definitions for hibernate, or something like that? It just seems so unlikely that he'd be able to repeatedly hit the standard keyboard combination to activate it. Although if you have a rabbit that is computer savvy enough to do that and haven't named him TeraFlops, then yeah going to need some moderator intervention here.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'd call out some pretty egregious metamodding in this thread, but in this case I'll allow it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Power saving mode settings can actually be in your BIOS. ACPI settings would be what you're looking for. Or something set to ACPI instead of another power management system.

You can also define when/why things go into suspend-to-ram which it sounds like you're maybe doing.

Find your motherboard manual. Find the power settings. Go from there.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Trying to test it, it seems that sometimes when I press the sleep button, I can't exit normally, but sometimes I can. I only had time to teat once, but I tried pressing other keys as I did (as thumping paws would), and it seemed to cause it.

Perhaps there could be some issue where additional keypresses during transition to sleep is preventing it from awaking from sleep via keypress/mouse input?

Here's the culprit, more than willingly acting as pillow for our cat:
    3149mk5.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That happens a lot of the time because Hibernate is a shitshow, and I'm guessing that's the problem. If you disable Hibernate, it might solve your problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'd disable Hibernate most likely myself. Hibernate has caused me more issues than I can imagine any benefits would be worth.

• Options
    I'll try that and will update. Thanks!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey @M-Tee as one rabbit owner to another, do you have problems with your buns chewing pc cords? I had to start applying lemon oil to mine monthly to keep them away, and I don't know if that'll work forever

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Indeed I do. So far, I've had to splice back together my Famicom's AV cable, replaced two headsets, and electrical tape-patched a few cables where luckily, he didn't make it to through to the copper.

I've rabbit-proofed one room by running some grating along all four walls, building a gate with zipties, carabiners, and grates, and made sure all wires are under molding and behind grates. I even bent my wall grates 90 degrees to go around my floor lamp.

On top of that, it still doesn't get unsupervised time out of its cage.

So far, the only real risks are when I'm using my headset, I have to watch the cable as it dangles.

M-Tee on
  • Options
    …in fact, if you look up at the picture I posted, you can see the grate, out of focus, in front of my outlets.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Disabled hibernate. Have yet to be able to force the situation of being unable to awake via key input. Seems to be a success. Thanks!

M-Tee on
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Good to hear. Hibernate works so poorly anytime I see it turned on that I wish they would just completely remove the functionality.