As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume writing services

WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
I searched a bit but the posts seemed a little dated or not quite exactly the question I have in mind. The short version is: is the monster[dot]com resume and cover letter writing service worth it?

The longer version is if not, why not and who should I look into instead? I'm looking to change to a new position but I've spent the last 13 years at one of 2 companies (albeit different positions), and I am well aware my resume sucks but not exactly WHY it sucks. Monster provided a free option with vague suggestions then prompted me to pay for someone to rewrite it for me. I am not unwilling to do so but I don't know if this specific service is worth the cash. I'm sure my resume will look different but I have no idea whether it will be better.

I've spoken with and met with several companies for placement options but it hasn't yielded the results I'm looking for and one specifically mentioned they want to discuss the resume itself at a later point so as I mentioned I am consciously aware it needs work.

What is the consensus for this sort of thing?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So first, I would avoid monster's services. Just in general. I imagine their resume writing services are generic and not what you are looking for.

A resume is a living document, it should be something that is changing as you are working, every time you take on an additional responsibility or hit an impressive milestone you should throw it into your resume.

When I first started my professional career, I paid a friend who was an editor who did resume writing part time to take what I had and turn it into 5 targeted resumes.

So I do recommend someone in the area who you can talk to and get it done, that being said there is a cost to it and there are ways to reduce your cost.

I would find a format that you like, just google your targeted profession and resume. Take the format you like, put your information in that, and once it is there, take it to a resume writer to word smith. If you don't have numbers, estimate them. You may not know if you are managing 2.3 million in inventory, but I bet you can guess, and maybe you don't know what your capture rate is, but your probably at 24%. Those numbers are crucial.

Remove objective statements and references available upon request, those are outdated items.

• Options
    Thanks! I am looking into local options currently. One of the recruiters is supposed to be getting back to me on that front. I'm not opposed to paying for the service, it is work after all. I'm of the opinion that if I want it done right I'm going to have to pay for it. I'm just not entirely sure where to start on that front. Since I've spent this much time at places that I've worked to climb within it has been a while since I've had to convince someone who doesn't know who the hell I am that I know what I'm doing.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I would say resume writing services are a scam

Like if you're competent enough to type an email, or post on these forums, you can type your own resume in an hour or less

It's basically just a list of your experience, education, and skills

I could send you a copy of mine if you pm me your email address

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Resume writing services are not worth the money and are frequently scams. They offer no added value and often will template your resume (or over stylize it) to the point of being useless.

Best thing to do is look up a few different "resume best practices" articles in your field to make sure you have the basics of what is expected, use something like onetonline.org to check and make sure you have all the software and talent needs relevant to your job code, and then tailor your resume for each position.

Your resume and cover letter should be unique to the position and reflect how you can benefit the company with your experience. You are showing not only what you bring to the table in the paper stage of an interview, but how you can apply what you bring to the table to contexts specific to the posting.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This thread will totally attract spammers, because the resume writing business is that scummy.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I don't think there is anything to it. Look to see what is relevant to your field, have clear distinct headers. Make sure your formatting is clear and easy to follow.

Spell check it.

Have someone else spell check it.
    That will be $200
    220px-Spam_can.png

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    And you can always post your resume here (with personal information redacted) and get a number of eyes on it to provide direction.
    Most of us charge only a nominal fee.

Seriously though, if you have a question or want some extra eyes on it, post it either here or in the Job thread over in SE++ and you'll get a substantial amount of advice.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Resume and cover letter writing is definitely an acquired skill, but not an extremely difficult one, so I echo everyone else's sentiments that the services for writing them are a scam Does anyone in your personal network have experience in hiring/resume reading roles? They might be able to offer you some useful C&C.

The other thing to keep in mind during a frustrating job search is that you are one of a potentially large group of applicants, and all it takes is one person coming out ahead of you to fill the position. It's not that you're not good, you just had the misfortune of there also being one person who was better.

• Options
    thanks for the input everyone. i'm still waiting on the feedback from the recruiters i spoke with since it is "free" advice on that front. hopefully i can concoct something coherent

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Resume writing services are not worth the money and are frequently scams. They offer no added value and often will template your resume (or over stylize it) to the point of being useless.

Best thing to do is look up a few different "resume best practices" articles in your field to make sure you have the basics of what is expected, use something like onetonline.org to check and make sure you have all the software and talent needs relevant to your job code, and then tailor your resume for each position.

Your resume and cover letter should be unique to the position and reflect how you can benefit the company with your experience. You are showing not only what you bring to the table in the paper stage of an interview, but how you can apply what you bring to the table to contexts specific to the posting.

My biggest warning against resume writing is: you'd better know your resume well. I've interviewed a number of candidates whose resume writing service "stylized" their experience, to the point where I pushed extremely hard on experience they couldn't honestly answer to, because it'd been inflated on their resume by the writer.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wouldn't go so far as to say resume services are a complete scam, but if you're relatively competent with your document program of choice and google around for some examples you should be able to do 90% of what they do on your own

the biggest thing (at least, imo) you need to focus on when prepping resumes is matching them to the job description as closely as possible (both for general relevance and to accomadate automatic filtering), which a resume writing service cannot really do for you.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    One of the biggest tips I ever got was a simple one. Your resume entries should follow a a very simple formula, but the big one is that you contextualize and emphasize your actions with results or numbers. They need to be in the active voice and lead with the verb.

It really is as simple as "Performed X for Y reason":
    Instead of "Achieved sales goals for 11 months" you go with something like "Beat sales goals for 11 months for a total of X% year over year sales growth"
    Instead of "Managed complex project" you go with something like "Designed, managed, and implemented workflow for complex project to deliver client's widget 70% under budget."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I paid a professional to do my resume, and I've never spent my money better. But the person I paid was a freelancer (found on these forums, in fact - I'd refer you but I don't think she does them anymore), I don't think I'd trust Monster to do it.

I frequently get compliments on that resume. As in HR going out of their way to tell me what a good resume it is.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind