Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PbP] Monster of the Week • Welcome to New Eden - "The Witching Hour"

MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizardRegistered User regular
edited August 22 in Critical Failures
October 3rd, 198?, 11:59PM - Uptown Historic District, New Eden, [REDACTED]
dwcvkqsiey0t.gif

A car pulls up in the drive of a large Victorian-style home. As the car stops, the headlights linger for a moment exposing the maroon exterior paint and highlighting the soft lemon yellow woodwork, railings and door. The car is switched off, leaving only a slight bit of orange light from inside. A portly middle-aged man opens his car door and begins to pull himself out of the car. Adjusting his glasses he reaches into a pocket, producing a folded bundle of papers. He reads the papers using the dome light of the car, then compares the address to the one nailed to the railing of the home.

He takes a briefcase from the back seat and walks up to the front door while plucking a key from the same bundle of papers. With quick jangle the door opens with an audible groan. The man takes a step in, "Hello? Miss Kincade? Are you here? Sorry I'm late, I got held up at the other estate..." After a moment of silence has passed, he shrugs his shoulders. "Well - I guess she already left..."

Entering the home he is met by a cacophony of clicks, clacks, springs and sprungs. Nearly every inch of the interior walls are covered in a vast collection of antique clocks. He opens his case and lays a stack of neatly stapled papers on the nearest table. The heading of these papers is clearly marked a list of auction lots, beside this stack he opens a business card holder setting it beside. The cards read, "Felix Alterman - Auctioneer and Estate Specialist."

His hands now mostly free, Felix turns on the light for the parlor. However, the heavy shades on the lamps provide little help through. He begins comparing his notes to the various clocks on the walls, many already featuring lot tags.

BONG! BONG! BONG!

Suddenly all the clocks in the home begin to chime the hour in unison, the sound is nearly deafening, and the surprise causes Felix to nearly fall back. He manages to steady himself on a high back chair - but drops his papers and his glasses. Taking a moment to compose himself, he notices the shape of a woman in the parlor door way. Due to the darkness, and his already bad eyesight he can't make up more than a vague shape. "Oh! Miss Kincade. You startled me. Between you and these clocks a moment ago I might not even make it to the auction." He chuckles, but the figure doesn't respond.

Felix rubs his eyes a bit. "Miss Kincade?" his voice sounding nervous now he reaches down and finds his glasses. Placing them back on the bridge of his nose, however the figure is gone. A cold row of sweat begins to bead up on his balding forehead and he takes a few tepid steps towards the opening to the hall where the figure stood. Somehow finding the courage he peaks around the corner. To the left of him the front door, which he entered, to the right nothing but dimly light hallway past the stairs and into the kitchen. Felix wipes his brow with a hanky and shrugs. Turning around back into the parlor.

When he turns, no more than a foot away stands what appears to be a woman's corpse, skin tight and drawn, with a putrid green pallet. Her empty eyes are pursed together like chapped lips and her strawlike grey hair moves wildly as she begins to howl.

Felix eyes become bigger than saucers as he instinctively backs up until hitting the hallway wall. The figure slowly starts moving towards him, still screaming. He bolts out the front door, his fear pushing far beyond the capacity to scream. The car lurches to life and is reversed down the driveway, gravel and grass flying from the rapidly spinning tires. As Felix speeds off into the distance we see the dim lights in the Victoriam home blinking wildly. *CUT TO BLACK*


STARRING:
@Reynolds as Maxwell "Max" Maxwell, III, The Crooked
@Egos as Bastian "Felsted" Fane, The Initiate
@Fencingsax as Sammy, The Flake
and special guest @Discrider as Broker,The Monstrous

Interior - New Moon Diner, New Eden Downtown. 10:00AM. October 4th. We find Max setting at corner booth by himself. The diner is busy with the brunch crowd and an eclectic group of people litter the remaining tables and booths. The diner bar is empty aside from one portly man sitting at the end with a just a half empty cold cup of coffee. As Max finishes 'taking in' the people of the room, his vision finally comes back around to the waitress standing immediately to his left, the look on her face obviously tells him she's asked him a question and has been waiting sometime for an appropriate answer. "Well? How long until the rest of your friends gets here -- if you're solo we're going to have to ask you to sit at the bar... or a smaller table."

Please everyone establish yourself into the scene, and we will go from there.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
MagicPrime on
«1

Posts

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Right after she finishes speaking, Sammy comes up behind her. "Sorry I'm late. Lost track of the time. Again" As Sammy slides into the booth, facing the door, they smile at the waitress "Can I get a root beer, please?" As she walks off, nonplussed, Sammy turns to Max. "So what's up?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    To everyone - If any of your Playbook Moves require you to make a roll at the start of a mystery - please do so now.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for connect the dots

    connect the dots:
    2d6+2 4 [2d6=1, 1]

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well that's a good omen

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    MagicPrime
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    Am I at good standing with the sect at the beginning of this mystery ?

    Egos on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    Mark one XP for your roll under 6.

    Max had been keeping a mostly low profile in the diner. Last night around 1AM Max had been walking home from a late night meeting and was nearly ran down by a brown Lincoln that was practically leaving rubber marks in the middle of the road. For a brief second Max had made eye contact with the driver, a portly middle aged man with glasses. The look on his face was obvious, he was truly terrified, the kind of look you only get when you come face to face with the dark side of reality.

    This morning, during his normal routine - he happened to spot the same offending Lincoln, and the same portly man sitting in the New Moon by himself. A few quarters in the pay phone and a few calls later he made his way to the booth where he now sets, keeping an eye on the man and figuring out the next step.

    That was at least until Sammy came in. To use the term 'bull in a china shop' was close, but not quite enough. No sooner had the question to Max left his lips before the man at the bar made an audible jump and realized that he was the center of attention.

    Egos wrote: »
    Am I at good standing with the sect at the beginning of this mystery ?
    Yes.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Geth Roll 2d6-1 for Sect Information

    Sect Information:
    2d6-1 5 [2d6=2, 4]

  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    Felsted enters the restaurant a few moments after Sam. He is wearing a denim jacket, a nondescript t-shirt and a trucker cap with "New Eden Knights" emblazoned on it. He glanced back towards the door for a moment, unsure if Broker would magically show up. He seemed to do that from time to time. When the "thin man" didn't magically appear, Felsted titled his head and let out a soft "huh.".

    He was about to look for Sam or Max when he suddenly heard the lone man at the bar jump up. He looked over momentarily a tad confused.

    Egos on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    Mark an XP for your miss. You will receive orders from your sect.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Broker straightens himself in the window of the diner, brushing imaginary dust off the sleeves of his dark suit, and knocking his thin tie off-center so that he could put it back again.
    There was little point entering when Felsted was expecting him after all.

    A couple of moments later, a dry voice drifts over Felsted's shoulder:
    "Is this our, acquaintance?", indicating the round man who had momentarily captured Felsted's attention.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    The round man, still profusely sweating struggles to take a wallet from his pocket with trembling hands. He throws out some amount of singles and random coins on the bar, promptly gathers his jacket together and glances back at the corner booth, about six feet away over his left shoulder. At the sight of all the figures at the booth staring, a second wave of sweat begins to pour from his brow. Desperately he searches his jacket for the hanky. He suddenly remembers dropping it in that house. Then instantly a fresh vision of that THING flashes in his memory, and the terror that some pie and coffee had blunted was suddenly razor sharp again.

    He bolts towards the door with quick, determined and small steps.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Excuse me", Broker starts, blocking the door with his tall frame as the man approaches, "You seem a tad distressed. Could I invite you for something, to eat? And a talk?
    You might find I, can help you with your problem."
    Broker is smiling. All teeth.

    Geth roll 2d6 for Manipulation

    Manipulation:
    2d6 2 [2d6=1, 1]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :+1:

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Broker steps aside again, as the rotund man reacts predictably.

    A moment later he turns to Felsted, glasses glinting above the row of teeth, "Why, I suddenly do, feel the need for some refreshments."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 23

    Mark one XP for the miss.

    The man's quick steps grow in tempo as the door gets nearer in sight. However, he makes the mistake to check over his shoulder one last time, glancing at the table with the group of people who's gaze is still locked on him. He reaches the door and turns, met with two rows of oddly white teeth, and the thin frame of Broker.

    The spidery man is saying something, but the only thing the man knows is terror, and fear, and flashes of that same ghoulish creature from the old Victorian Home. He takes a stumble back, dropping his briefcase, the lock popping and the contents strewing all over the checkerboard tile floor. Instinctively, as if a reflex, the sweaty man's hand shoots up in front of him as if to push open a door. For a second Broker notices that the man is holding something, a bottle of some kind with a hot-pepper and a skull and crossbones on the label.

    A loud hissing sound fills the front of the diner, the acrid smell of capsaicin fills the air. The people in the immediate area are coughing and wheezing. Broker takes a face full of the pepper-spray, his smile and good intentions turned oily orange, his vision a blurry mess.


    (Take 1-Harm with Extreme Pain and you are temporarily blinded).

    The close proximity of Broker means the man had also essentially maced himself, his sweaty face speckled with the bright orange aerosol. He drops the can of spray with a clatter to the rest of the pile at his feet and runs to the bathroom screaming his throat raw.

    The other patrons and staff are starting to panic. The impatient waitress is reaching for the phone, some people are coughing with bloodshot faces, and others are trying to vacate the building as soon as possible.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for not reacting
    Because rolling for things is fun

    not reacting:
    2d6+3 13 [2d6=6, 4]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Broker reaches into his coat pocket and retrieves a handkerchief.
    He begins to meticulously clean his glasses, still smiling.
    With eyes closed and streaming with water.

    'If I could, impose on somebody, can I purchase a glass of milk?'

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    MagicPrime
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    One of the other waitresses comes over to the corner table with a glass bottle of milk and some clean terrycloth towels. She wets one of them liberally with the milk and places it in Broker's hand. "Jeez mister, that must have hurt bad... I don't know what that guys problem is - he peeled ass in here late last night and been here my whole shift. Hasn't said a word, just ordered some pie and coffee."

    She looks over at the rest of the people at the table. "You all know him, or somethin?"

    Your blindness and extreme pain subside.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 23
    Sammy sees the commotion, and once it seems that the strange gentleman is fine walks over and says "the poor gentleman in the bathroom could probably use this as well" with a nod from the Thin Man, Sammy takes the bottle with the remaining milk and a fresh towel, and walks into the bathroom. "Hey mister, you all right? That looks like it hurt. This will probably help a bit"

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Max was staring off into space, the full cup of coffee in front of him still stubbornly producing a few faint trickles of steam, rising to meet the smoke produced by the cigarette dangling from his lips. Was he really doing this? Trusting his crackpot cousin? He might as well have called Josh, at least he would've showed up with cameras and PAs and maybe a paycheck. Sammy just brought...them.

    He was pulled from his own thoughts first by the waitress and her insistent questions, and then jolted fully into the real world by Sammy's arrival. Max had to slide over as his cousin decided to sit on the same side of the booth with him, scowling as he was squashed into the corner. It made sense, if they both wanted to keep an eye on the extremely suspicious guy at the bar. But it looked strange, irritated Max, and would've definitely drawn attention. If those two hadn't appeared just a few moments later.

    "...that's the guy, I-" He was cut off as Sammy's associates arrived, somehow with even less subtlety than his cousin, immediately spooking their target. Max lowered his head, rubbing his brow and covering his face with one hand, trying to process how things had gone so bad so quickly. Left alone in his corner booth once more, he finally downed his coffee in one long chug before sliding out of his seat, cigarette still firmly in place.

    "Sorry about all of this." Max smiled to the waitress, removing his dark sunglasses to reveal a face that might be familiar to a few people in the diner. Although with how quickly the place was clearing out, the possible percentage was rapidly dwindling. "Has he really been here all morning? Huh..." He moved the cigarette to his hand to continue the conversation. "We're in the same line of work, kinda. I recognized him, not sure if he recognized me...I think he did some work for my father. Maxwell Maxwell? You can just call me Max, though."

    Giving the waitress and any other employees his best smile, Max tried to reassure them everything was just fine. "I gave my cousin Sammy a call, he's got some big ideas he wants to pitch." Max pointed towards Sammy, who was following the bald man into the restrooms. "I was going to make some introductions, but...maybe my friend's had a bit too much caffeine and sugar not enough sleep, if he's been here enjoying your fine coffee and delicious pie all morning." Max smiled again, giving a little shrug.

    "Don't worry. Let me settle our bills and we'll all be out of your way in a few minutes." Max pulled out his wallet, which contained a wad of cash that would be impressive, if it wasn't every dollar he had to his name right now. Hopefully the employees would be more interested in being well tipped than calling the cops. Max shot Bastian a look, as the only person not currently involved with the situation, cocking his head towards the opened briefcase and spilled papers. "Little help?"

    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Manipulate the Employees

    to Manipulate the Employees:
    2d6+2 4 [2d6=1, 1]

    Reynolds on
    OGueI9Q.gif
    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Reading a bad situation whilst maced

    Reading a bad situation whilst maced:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=4, 1]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Having cleared his eyes and seeing the mess, Broker sighs.
    Just like old times.
    He immediately starts figuring the best way out, as the situation has clearly turned into a debacle.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Felsted shot Max a mildly annoyed look. But then simply stood up and responded with a brusque "Yeah...". He wasn't a fan of being ordered what to do when he barely had time to sit down, but figured he might spot something interesting among the man's dropped papers. The man did seem "off", so who knows. Maybe he'd find something incriminating that he could use later down the line if nothing occult.

    Felsted started to gather the papers together as neatly as he could , attempting to glean anything interesting from any of them. Once he had most of them gathered, he reached for the suitcase to put them back in.
    Unsure if I can, but "Investigate a Mystery" -in this instance to see if there is anything I see that would give some indicator as to why the man was acting so erratic
    Geth Roll 2d6 to see If I see anything in the papers

    to see If I see anything in the papers:
    2d6 4 [2d6=1, 3]

    discrider
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Broker, you get 1-hold for your hit on Reading a Bad Situation. Ask your question from the list under the move.

    Felsted and Max, mark an XP for both your misses.

    The waitress on the phone, with what one would assume is the police, overhears the conversation between Max and the cute, helpful waitress attending to Broker. She tucks the hand-set between her shoulder and ear and covers one end as she yells into the back, past the cook window. "Hey -- Charlie, one of these guys out here says they're friends with that fat creeper that maced everyone. Said he's going to cover everyone's bill." There is some unintelligible reply from the back room, then she speaks again. "Yeah, he said everyone. Even the people that ran outta here coughing their lungs out. Police are on their way, too." another mumbled reply.

    The waitress gathers up the spread of tickets on the back counter and stretches out the coiled phone cord to hand the relatively thick packet of green diner bills to the younger girl. She motions to Max, "Tell him he can pay at the register before he leaves."

    The girl hands the bundle to Max, "Wow, that sure is nice of you to cover everyone's check like that, you must be pretty well off, eh?" she goes over to the mess of mace soaked papers on the floor and helps Felsted clean them up as best she can. She's most likely a few years younger than you both, sporting a short bottle blond flat haircut with a bit of vivid color at the tips and some large neon hoop earrings.

    The collected bill is, surprisingly high for what you would expect from a diner - but the brunch crowd is typically pretty busy.


    This will cause some significant issues going forward with your cash flow unless you can acquire some more money.

    Felsted pilfers through the case. The papers are soaked in food, coffee and pepper spray. But you do manage to make out that the man's name is Felix Alterman from a business card, along with some lot sheets marked with an address in the Uptown Historic District. There are a few personal effects in the case, a photo of Felix and his family. He appears to have a wife and two kids, they look generally happy in the photo, Felix with his chubby face and balding head smiling beside his wife. Their two kids, looking like teenagers, sporting some brightly colored shirts. At the bottom of the case you spot what appears to be a drab stuffed yellow bird, it looks very out of place. When you touch it you get a sudden chill up your arm, and for the briefest of seconds you see from Felix's perspective. A dark room full of clocks, a form moving out of the shadows screaming, the sensation of hyperventilating as you floor your sedan in reverse down a gravel driveway. The vision washes away nearly instantly and you find yourself back in the diner. You don't take any harm, but you do drop the bird, it clatters against the floor and rolls into some unseen nook under the padded diner booth. You feel significantly stunned and it will take you more than a moment to regain your composure.

    When Sammy walks into the bathroom he finds the man a blubbery mess. His face and shirt covered in a mixture of water, sweat, tears, drool, snot and pepper spray. He's laying against he far wall with soaked paper towels across his eyes, the faucet running fullblast, and starting to over-flow into the floor.

    He manages to get a few words out through, "P... please... just leave me alone... I can't get it out of my head... that thing I saw... it's like it's burned in my brain..."

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Magicprime the question is most definitely What's the best/quickest way out (for when the police arrive)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    @Magicprime the question is most definitely What's the best/quickest way out (for when the police arrive)

    There is a boldly and clearly lit EXIT sign above a wooden door conveniently beside the restroom where Sammy followed Felix. The narrow window of the door shows a clear view of the alley behind the Diner and the street beyond. There is still a significant amount of commotion and gathering of maced patrons in the front parking lot by the main doors.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Broker orders a half-sandwich to go, on Max's tab.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    MagicPrime
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "Don't worry, we'll get you cleaned up and get you some help"

    Sam begins to help pick him up and wiping him down with milk and rag, being careful not to get mace on himself.

    "Sounds like what you saw was pretty bad. Maybe talking it through will make it seem... well less bad at least"

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    Max was smiling so hard his face must hurt, keeping the expression locked in place even as he was handed the stack of bills. "Dad always said you should expect to pay what something is worth. Food, service. Trouble." The last was clearly meant in regards to the trouble they'd caused, although he also shot a smiling glare at Broker as the teary-eyed man accepted his styrofoam container of food.

    He made his way to the register, dutifully paying for his single cup of coffee. Along with everything else. Plus tips. His wallet was significantly lighter, which made the fact that he'd tanked another job interview last night weigh even heavier on him. By this point he was fairly certain his father and his business associates had him blacklisted, and if this hunch about the Lincoln driving businessman didn't pay off, it might be time to leave town.

    OGueI9Q.gif
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Hmm?"
    Broker turns his puffy eyes towards Max; his unusually pale skin not really assisting in disguising the eyes that look like squashed tomatoes more than anything else.
    "My thanks.", Broker rasps, before biting down into the sandwich.

    It's then he notices Felsted with Max, picking up sodden papers.
    Broker strolls over to the pair, with his measured gait.
    "Perhaps you should go and check in with our friend? I can, ", Broker swoops down on the can of mace, cradling the sandwich in his other arm, "help here. I do worry what might happen if, he encounters me again.".

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Felsted is in the midst of regaining his composure as he is approached by Broker . Once he is able to regain his footing he nods to the thin man. Standing up he takes out a business card for Georgio’s Laundryland from his back pocket and hastily writes down the number of a payphone nearby the motel Felsted was currently staying at.

    He flashes the front side of the card to Broker quickly before sliding it in with the rest on the documents in the briefcase . He hoped the unsullied card would stick out among the drenched documents . Especially if the man noticed a key item was missing .

    “ ...The quicker we get out of here the better.”

    He looked back at the booth the duck fell under , he hoped to be able to retrieve it later. It could have value .

    Bending down to pick up the briefcase , assuming he was able to get most of the documents back in sans the duck- he then heads off to the bathroom.

    ”Would be odd if I went in there empty handed.” his eyes dart around for a bit and in a softer voice ”Tell me if you see anyone taking a particular interest in us.”

    He hopes Broker is able to grasp what he’s getting at from the serious tone he takes . He then makes a clicking sound with his tongue and with an uncharacteristically jaunty smile says ”Back in a jiffy.”

    He heads off to the bathroom , briefcase in hand .

    Egos on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Around this time two cop cars pull into the parking lot. The patrons outside begin to crowd around the cars, and appear to not be taking turns in addressing the officers with what happened. One officer pulls the collar of his jacket over his mouth and nose, the sensation from the pepper spray still lingering in the air. It wouldn't be long before they enter the diner to get the story of what happened, but it will be more than a few minutes before they reach the door.

    Felsted's quick scan of the floor area proved fruitless, perhaps with time he could have located where the little yellow stuffed bird had rolled off to. As he passes the EXIT door he notices that the alley is still clear of people and police. Entering the bathroom he finds Sammy and Felix near the back sink. The older man seems to have himself pulled together significantly more, holding one of the milk soaked rags against his eyes.

    "You're going to think I'm crazy, but just -- just hear me out. I'm an Auctioneer, I do Estate Sales. Lady by the name of Kincade from up north inherited a house from some distant aunt or something, the Bellairs Mansion
    in the Historic district. Apparently she'd tried renting the place out - but the tenant pulled out of the contract. She tells me she's over it, and wants to just liquidate the assets. I go in with my warehouse crew and it's pretty standard. Old lady apparently had a thing for clocks. Tons of the things, all kinds, everywhere. Almost took us three days to tag and log them all for the lot sheet. Everything goes fine. I was supposed to meet her at the house last night for some last minute arrangements, but I got held up and didn't get there till close to midnight. She'd already gone, but I had a key. I went in to start setting up for the morning. Just a couple things, then head home."

    You can tell his stress level is going up as the story progresses.

    "But then, all the clocks strike midnight at the same time - I about jumped out of my skin, nearly fell, dropped my glasses... I thought I saw Miss Kincade come in near the parlor door, but no one was there. I checked the foyer to see if someone was in the house but... no one. Then I turned around to get my things and..." he starts to wimper a bit as he talks.

    "I turn around and this THING is looking right at me. Closer to me than you are. It's floating about a foot off the ground, and it's skin looks like an old wallet but the color of bread mold. It's eyes are just EMPTY and all puckered up. Her lips curl up and she has these horrible teeth. She... she starts SCREAMING at me and I can't really remember much after that. I grabbed my briefcase and ran and ran, I remember getting to my car and leaving. The next thing I know I wake up here at the diner bar, half-empty cup of coffee and a few crumbs on a pie plate."


    "You probably think I'm full of shit..."
    He takes the cloth from his eyes and looks at Sammy. The sockets are bright red from the spray, but the redness in the eyes themselves seem to be going down. "OH GOD! MY WIFE! SHE'S GOING TO THINK I'M DEAD!"

    He starts struggling to get to his feet.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sammy grabs onto the man's jacket "wait, where is this clock house? If what is there is dangerous... well, someone should take a look, and you've had a long night. And day"

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Felix grabs his case from Felsted and opens it, fumbling around the mess of wet papers. He produces a lot sheet and hands it to Sammy. "Here, take it -- the Auction was supposed to start two hours ago so I figure everyone's already gone home." He also produces a key to the house and hands that to him as well. "And here, take this and good riddance to it. If you see Miss Kincade there tell her I am sorry but I will have to decline our previous arrangement."

    Finally composed, resolved, and somewhat relieved of his burden by his story being validated, you can already tell his mind is starting to rationalize and push what he saw to the back of his memory and eventually forget it entirely. He continues wiping at his brow with the milk soaked rag and moves past Felsted. Max and Broker catch a glimpse of Felix as he walks past and out the front door into the crowd. The sound of the people in the parking grows when they catch a glimpse of the one who started the whole situation. The police start demanding the roar to quiet down. A moment later Felix vanishes into the crowd, leading back to his mundane life.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    "Unfortunately, I don't think he was just seeing things..." Felsted begins to wash his hands and then pulled down 5 paper towels from the dispenser on the wall. One to wipe his hands with , the others for something else. "I may have dropped something valuable back in the diner.". He nods to Sam and then exits the bathroom , walking over to Broker and Max. He hands them each a paper towel

    "There is a stuffed yellow bird on the floor somewhere near here" He points around the booth area " I wouldn't touch it with your bare hands if you find it."

    Felsted's eyes dart to outside the restaurant, watching to see how close the cops were to entering
    if I can roll to search for it, would it be +Sharp or +Cool ?

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    With the time constraints I would call that as the 'Acting Under Pressure' move.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+1 for Acting Under Pressure (Finding Bigbird)

    Acting Under Pressure (Finding Bigbird):
    2d6+1 12 [2d6=6, 5]

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    @Egos

    Along with that roll you need to actually describe in detail how you're searching for it.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    The three of you leave the rear of the diner, back into the open area. In the few moments that have passed, the diner has completely emptied out, save for Max still standing near the register. All the patrons, police, waitresses, cooks and manager are all standing outside in the main commotion. With the three of you working together, it doesn't take long to find the missing bird. It couldn't have rolled further under the bench if it had been deliberately tossed, but with some teamwork at lifting up the seats Felsted manages to get ahold of it. There is no assault on the senses this time, no twinge or shock. For all you can tell it's just an old musty stuffed cuckoo bird.

    Having gained the prize you seek. You gather up one another, and leave out the back door. As far as you can tell no one has noticed, nor are they looking for you.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    Max returned his lightened wallet to his pocket, the only thing he'd added to it was the final receipt for all the tickets he'd taken care of. Another smile for the waitresses, before he returned his sunglasses to his face and the cigarette to his lips. Then there was a paper towel in his hand. Max looked down at it, then up at Bastian. A moment later he was heading for the rear exit, wiping off his relatively clean hands before wadding up the paper towel and dropping it in a trash can before exiting the diner.

    For the moment he just stood out back, finishing his cigarette in the alley, pondering the merits of staying to see how this played out versus simply disappearing.

    OGueI9Q.gif
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.