As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a KVM switch

I work from home. I have two PCs (work and personal), dual DVI monitors, and one keyboard and mouse that use a total of two USB ports. I will never be using both computers at the same time; I just don't want to crawl under my desk to move cables around every time I switch.

The lowest price on Newegg for a switch with two monitor ports is around $200, which seems ridiculous unless I'm missing something. I can live with only being able to plug one monitor into the switch if it means not dropping a couple hundred dollars, but the price and user rating of switches vary wildly. Filtering them tends to return no results; so either my scenario is so incredibly niche that the solution doesn't exist (doubtful), or I'm using the filter options incorrectly.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I work from home. I have two PCs (work and personal), dual DVI monitors, and one keyboard and mouse that use a total of two USB ports. I will never be using both computers at the same time; I just don't want to crawl under my desk to move cables around every time I switch.

The lowest price on Newegg for a switch with two monitor ports is around $200, which seems ridiculous unless I'm missing something. I can live with only being able to plug one monitor into the switch if it means not dropping a couple hundred dollars, but the price and user rating of switches vary wildly. Filtering them tends to return no results; so either my scenario is so incredibly niche that the solution doesn't exist (doubtful), or I'm using the filter options incorrectly.

If you don't mind using one monitor for each PC, you could use a wormhole switch hooked up between the two PCs which will let you share keyboard/mouse/clipboard between the two machines. It's a much cheaper option as well ($40).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

If you don't mind using one monitor for each PC, you could use a wormhole switch hooked up between the two PCs which will let you share keyboard/mouse/clipboard between the two machines. It's a much cheaper option as well ($40).

I need both monitors for work, unfortunately.

Maybe what I'm looking for isn't a KVM at all? The use-case for KVMs seems to be switching between multiple machines that are powered on, but I don't need to do that. I just want an easier way to, essentially, move hardware peripherals between two completely unrelated PCs. They don't need to communicate.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I ended up ordering a USB switch, a couple of DVI to VGA converters, and cables so I can plug my home PC's DVI outputs into the monitors' VGA inputs.

This is so dumb. Why isn't a simple hardware DVI switch a thing? *sigh*