The Increasingly Poor Decisions of [Burkman and Wohl]

• ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Oh jesus, that is physically painful.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I just feel bad for Wohl at this point. I don't want to try to diagnose anything, but he's just *so* bad at this and so prolific that there has to be something compelling it. He's 20 now and thus responsible for his own actions, but a lot of adults failed him in his life every step of the way.

He is a wealthy white male in American society, with a father who is all-in on Trump. I imagine that is where most of it comes from.

If you are shielded from consequences your whole life, this is what happens. And given that his father's Twitter bio says 'father of @JacobAWohl +3', it's clear that dad is 100% behind playing favourites.

Wait, his name is Jacob A. Wohl? I mentioned to @Forar the other day that if he went by Jay, he'd be Jaywohl (as part of a joke that he should get a job running a coal concern, cause then he'd be Jawohl, Mine Capitan).

But his father actually gave him the initialed name J.A.Wohl?

This reality's screenwriters are HACKS!

There is absolutely no way it's an accident, anymore than when rednecks name their daughters to have the initials KKK. His father is a far right wing lawyer; he probably thought he was being cute in the exact same way.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Let's examine the kind of person Jacob Wohl through the circumstances of his lifetime ban from the NFA. (I posted this on a different forum, but I suspect it'll interest people here as well.)

https://www.nfa.futures.org/basicnet/CaseDocument.aspx?seqnum=4345 (complaint)
    https://www.nfa.futures.org/basicnet/CaseDocument.aspx?seqnum=4428 (decision)
    * In May 2016, an investor asked to withdraw his money from a hedge fund owned by Jacob Wohl. Jacob eventually did so, after multiple requests, but only returned about half his money, and claimed the rest was lost in a market downturn. (The NFA disagree with that excuse.)
    * Jacob then declared that he was no longer doing business in anything that the NFA regulates, and therefore was leaving. (This takes 30 days to take effect, by NFA rules.)
    * The NFA decided that the missing money looked super fishy, and decided to stop by to do an inspection of his books.
    * They called, emailed, and physically stopped by the address on file (a residential house), but with no response.
    * They tried again the next day, then tried other addresses they had on file.
    * (One of the addresses was apparently Jacob's father's house. A small kid answered the door.)
    * Jacob's father called and threatened to sue and/or call the cops on them for trespassing.
    * (Also, Jacob calls and says the same thing. Also, he's getting a restraining order.)
    * The NFA finally decide that this merits a ban.
    * Jacob was an NFA member from February to July, 2016, about five months.

Bonus!
    This was the third time Jacob Wohl came to the attention of the NFA. The first time, he was operating as a unregistered hedge fund trader. The second, (after registering) he was putting out promotional material that was missing required disclosures, suggested returns of 149% percent, and stated that Jacob (18 at the time) had 9 years of trading experience. (The complaint says "After several weeks of discussions with Wohl, Wohl removed the offending material from Nex Capital's website", which I suspect is glossing over the nature of these discussions.)

Bonus 2!
    Here's the article that led the NFA to catch Jacob running an unregistered hedge fund:
    https://valuewalkpremium.com/2015/03/hedge-fund-jacob-whol/
    I do wonder who was really running that hedge fund. From the article:
    * When asked if he purchased options or sold them as an income producing overlay to his long exposure, Wohl didn’t go into detail. (I.e., didn't answer the question.)
    * He also refused to answer detailed questions about his strategy.
    * He also advocates an active trading strategy, something that studies have shown lead to investor losses, particularly if they are non-professionals. (i.e., daytrading)
    * “So as long as you’re trading enough you’re going to be all good,” was the somewhat odd advice he gave on the KTLA report.
    * EDIT: and he claims he learned how to use derivatives and technical trading overlays from an online tutorial.
    * EDIT: and he had 20 clients, with a total of $200,000. In high school.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Let's examine the kind of person Jacob Wohl through the circumstances of his lifetime ban from the NFA. (I posted this on a different forum, but I suspect it'll interest people here as well.)

* In May 2016, an investor asked to withdraw his money from a hedge fund owned by Jacob Wohl. Jacob eventually did so, after multiple requests, but only returned about half his money, and claimed the rest was lost in a market downturn. (The NFA disagree with that excuse.)
    * Jacob then declared that he was no longer doing business in anything that the NFA regulates, and therefore was leaving. (This takes 30 days to take effect, by NFA rules.)
    * The NFA decided that the missing money looked super fishy, and decided to stop by to do an inspection of his books.
    * They called, emailed, and physically stopped by the address on file (a residential house), but with no response.
    * (One of the addresses was apparently Jacob's father's house. A small kid answered the door.)
    * Jacob's father called and threatened to sue and/or call the cops on them for trespassing.
    * (Also, Jacob calls and says the same thing. Also, he's getting a restraining order.)

Bonus!
    This was the third time Jacob Wohl came to the attention of the NFA. The first time, he was operating as a unregistered hedge fund trader. The second, (after registering) he was putting out promotional material that was missing required disclosures, suggested returns of 149% percent, and stated that Jacob (18 at the time) had 9 years of trading experience. (The complaint says "After several weeks of discussions with Wohl, Wohl removed the offending material from Nex Capital's website", which I suspect is glossing over the nature of these discussions.)

Bonus 2!
    Here's the article that led the NFA to catch Jacob running an unregistered hedge fund:
    * When asked if he purchased options or sold them as an income producing overlay to his long exposure, Wohl didn’t go into detail. (I.e., didn't answer the question.)
    * He also advocates an active trading strategy, something that studies have shown lead to investor losses, particularly if they are non-professionals. (i.e., daytrading)
    * “So as long as you’re trading enough you’re going to be all good,” was the somewhat odd advice he gave on the KTLA report.
    * EDIT: and he claims he learned how to use derivatives and technical trading overlays from an online tutorial.

I just have one question after reading all of this.

How do I become a hedge fund manager for people with too much money like this guy?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Step 1 is have a filthy rich dad

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    This guy seems like the kind of person who will either vanish into prison for life, or be featured on an episode of the Dollop someday (as a person who SHOULD have vanished into prison for life).

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    He has a terminal case of Affluenza and won't see the inside of a jail.

At worst he'll get house arrest and continue with schemes that make James O'Keefe look like a genius.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

Bonus!

Bonus 2!

I just have one question after reading all of this.

How do I become a hedge fund manager for people with too much money like this guy?

Do you have a dad who will name you Jawohl? Because that's step 1.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    This guy seems like the kind of person who will either vanish into prison for life, or be featured on an episode of the Dollop someday (as a person who SHOULD have vanished into prison for life).

Are you kidding?

He will be President of the United States one day.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

Are you kidding?

He will be President of the United States one day.

Right in between the Presidents Paul (Jake and Logan, respectively)

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Tomanta wrote: »

At worst he'll get house arrest and continue with schemes that make James O'Keefe look like a genius.

Would house arrest these days also entail computer and internet restrictions? Because I would enjoy seeing him lash out and get in further trouble because he wants to keep tweeting about things he supposedly heard in hipster coffee shops.

Because oh yeah, he was that twerp who claimed all the time that he overheard people in 'hipster coffee shops' talking about how great and strong and manly Trump was.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Would house arrest these days also entail computer and internet restrictions? Because I would enjoy seeing him lash out and get in further trouble because he wants to keep tweeting about things he supposedly heard in hipster coffee shops.

Because oh yeah, he was that twerp who claimed all the time that he overheard people in 'hipster coffee shops' talking about how great and strong and manly Trump was.

They can if the judge says so.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Imagine how rich and crazy you’d have to be have a life go this far off the rails by 21.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Imagine how rich and crazy you’d have to be have a life go this far off the rails by 21.

Affluenza's a hell of a drug.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Kids basically mintrump: he's lived his life without fear of consequences because he's always had someone to bail him out and for the most part what he has dealt with wouldn't effect him the way it would someone who's made an actual career out of it.

Thing is: if the fed decides to come down on him like the wrath of god for interfering in a federal investigation led by the living equivelant of judge dredd then his dads wealth and influenece will have about as much chance of averting disaster as a paper cat has of chasing an asbestos mouse through hell.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Kids basically mintrump: he's lived his life without fear of consequences because he's always had someone to bail him out and for the most part what he has dealt with wouldn't effect him the way it would someone who's made an actual career out of it.

Thing is: if the fed decides to come down on him like the wrath of god for interfering in a federal investigation led by the living equivelant of judge dredd then his dads wealth and influenece will have about as much chance of averting disaster as a paper cat has of chasing an asbestos mouse through hell.

Right up until he gets a pardon for "exposing the swamp" or some shit.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

He's more then welcome to take a place in line for that; odds are that trump writes him off as another coffee boy (which is backd up by how much time he spends listening to liberal hipsters praise trump).

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

He's more then welcome to take a place in line for that; odds are that trump writes him off as another coffee boy (which is backd up by how much time he spends listening to liberal hipsters praise trump).

Yeah, even with the Arpaio thing, the fact that neither Cohen or Manafort held out much confidence they'd get one, doesn't fill me with confidence that Trump will whip out the pen for him. Especially given pardoning someone for attempting to obstruct justice on his behalf is probably not a good political position to take, given he's under investigation for attempting to obstruct justice. Hell, it could probably be argued that the pardon is itself obstruction of justice, as it opens the door to "Won't someone obstruct this meddlesome prosecutor?", if they can expect pardons.

But who knows? He got into a twitter beef with Chrissy Tiegen about how she's most famous for being the wife of a famous person. Not seeming to understand that she had a successful career in her own right, and he's famous for being a massive fuckup, not once, but twice (futures trading, and this clusterfuck). Not that I need to defend her, she's currently kicking his ass all by herself.

What I wouldn't give to have the confidence of a mediocre rich white man*.

* Running three of four, need to get that rich thing down.

MorganV wrote: »

Yeah, even with the Arpaio thing, the fact that neither Cohen or Manafort held out much confidence they'd get one, doesn't fill me with confidence that Trump will whip out the pen for him. Especially given pardoning someone for attempting to obstruct justice on his behalf is probably not a good political position to take, given he's under investigation for attempting to obstruct justice. Hell, it could probably be argued that the pardon is itself obstruction of justice, as it opens the door to "Won't someone obstruct this meddlesome prosecutor?", if they can expect pardons.

But who knows? He got into a twitter beef with Chrissy Tiegen about how she's most famous for being the wife of a famous person. Not seeming to understand that she had a successful career in her own right, and he's famous for being a massive fuckup, not once, but twice (futures trading, and this clusterfuck). Not that I need to defend her, she's currently kicking his ass all by herself.

What I wouldn't give to have the confidence of a mediocre rich white man*.

* Running three of four, need to get that rich thing down.

This really needs to be emphasized, because while some folks seem to think that trump will use his powers to protect anyone and everyone who is conservative, the reality is that there really hasn't been any rhyme or reason to it; like yes he pardoned Arpaio (who is such a characature of a corrupt country sheriff that I'm kind of mystified that it isn't performance art) a man who praised him and treated latinos like shit, but he also pardoned some some woman because Kim Kardashian asked him to.

You might very well have a better chance of putting your life savings on 22 red at the roulette table then hoping for a pardon from someone as mercurial as trump.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    He pardoned Arpaio because Arpaio is someone he admires and Trump wanted him to like him. Also, he got to own the libs.

He pardoned (random guy) because Kim Kardashian is famous and Trump wanted her to like him.

Pardoning Wohl wouldn't make anybody popular like him, and it's currently not a big enough story that it would own many libs, so he probably won't do it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    It looks like this story is already last weeks news and is drowned out by the election itself plus other news stories. Also by not reporting on this story the conspiracy folk don't get to hear about the false allegation and latch on to it as gospel.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Could he be prosecuted for this?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Could he? Oh yes. Will he? Open question.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    He pardoned Arpaio because Arpaio is someone he admires and Trump wanted him to like him. Also, he got to own the libs.

He pardoned (random guy) because Kim Kardashian is famous and Trump wanted her to like him.

Pardoning Wohl wouldn't make anybody popular like him, and it's currently not a big enough story that it would own many libs, so he probably won't do it.

Have we all forgotten that he also pardoned Dinesh D'Souza because of ??? reasons?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Have we all forgotten that he also pardoned Dinesh D'Souza because of ??? reasons?

To own the libs and he discovered he had pardon powers. He seems to have grown bored of them though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

He does it to deny racism accusations and because he probably thinks it bothers Obama because it would bother him.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

To own the libs and he discovered he had pardon powers. He seems to have grown bored of them though.

Betting he's waiting till the midterms are over and then there will be a bunch until 2020 really kicks into gear.

psn: PhasenWeeple
    He has probably forgotten that he has pardon powers at this point because he can only hold like one or two things in his decayed infantile mind at a time. His sycophants and handlers like Stephen Miller might be waiting until after midterms to remind Trump that he can own the libs by pardoning [random jackasses] but Wohl is such a laughingstock even to right-wingers that the handlers wouldn't do it; that would just be self-owning which is Wohl's job.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Today in For His Own Sake, Take The Phone From Jacob Wohl, a truly impressive self own:

Charles Seife is a journalism professor.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you read the thread, he’s responding to a post Wohl made where there is a very pretty graphic that Wohl thinks is showing his influence. Which it is, in a way, but not in a good way.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    If you read the thread, he’s responding to a post Wohl made where there is a very pretty graphic that Wohl thinks is showing his influence. Which it is, in a way, but not in a good way.

The graphic in question is pretty cool.

That's Wohl in the center surrounded by a spider web of retweets, with a thin crust of the other usual suspects.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That is the first graph I've ever seen proving that someone is truly an attention seeker.

... I kind of want to see Trump's chart now.

(Edited my post because as soon as I used the actual colloquial term, I realized it has a lot of baked in bias and sexism, and that bugged me a hell of a lot.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't think that's actually what the graph shows. The graph is showing that stupid crazy bullshit conspiracy story was primarily spread by Wohl. (In this case that joing Antifa was illegal and would get you imprisoned because apparently he has no fucking idea what the 1st Amendment actually does.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

That's Wohl in the center surrounded by a spider web of retweets, with a thin crust of the other usual suspects.

Of course he likes it. It shows him at the center of his universe.

Or maybe a black hole.

Or...a sphincter.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

Of course he likes it. It shows him at the center of his universe.

Or maybe a black hole.

Or...a sphincter.

The chart shows him spewing forth, not acreting in. Definitely sphincter.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    That's a map of the Inner Sphere if the Klan invasion had been successful.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Or pre-invasion.

Wohl is definitely a pre-war sphere-bro, as thoroughly convinced of his own superiority as he was unprepared for the wrath of Clan Teigen.

I don't think that's actually what the graph shows. The graph is showing that stupid crazy bullshit conspiracy story was primarily spread by Wohl. (In this case that joing Antifa was illegal and would get you imprisoned because apparently he has no fucking idea what the 1st Amendment actually does.)

Or that Antifa isn't a centralized organization with a codified doctrine.

Or pre-invasion.

Wohl is definitely a pre-war sphere-bro, as thoroughly convinced of his own superiority as he was unprepared for the wrath of Clan Teigen.

Truly, he was unprepared for His trial of grievance.

This discussion has been closed.