As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should the president and cabinet be required to qualify for their security clearances?

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I'm not even sure if this is worth a thread, but it doesn't fit anywhere else, so.

On one hand, doing so would instantly politicize the process. You'd have people working overtime to dig up (or create) any dirt on their opponent not just to sway voters, but in hopes of putting a hard stop on their election. High-level background checks can take years and would only be complicated by ongoing campaigns. Also, people can fail a background check for reasons that they can't control, like being related to the wrong person.

On the other hand, every other job that requires clearance also requires applicants to prove they can be trusted with sensitive information... and then there's Trump.

Thoughts?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    What happens if the politician doesn't qualify?

Can they still do their job?

Even if the process doesn't get politicized, it seems like a good way to enable institutions like DoD or NSA to lock out elected officials who they don't like, further undermining those officials' ability to effect change. Seems bad for democracy as a whole.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Security clearance criteria as written today would exclude almost all politicians based on their foreign contacts alone.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It wouldn't make sense to do that, unless you decided to make the President subordinate to some random other department of the executive branch.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

No. That's the point.
    Even if the process doesn't get politicized, it seems like a good way to enable institutions like DoD or NSA to lock out elected officials who they don't like, further undermining those officials' ability to effect change. Seems bad for democracy as a whole.
    Worse than electing someone who's compromised to hell and back? (And, in Trump's case, is a senile narcissist with no concept of consequences; but let's assume hope Trump is an outlier.)

It might well be worse! Just, right now, I'm not sure.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Not all security clearances are created equal, and as such not all take years or even months to run. What if there was at least a minimum security clearance they were required to hold? Maybe not the highest, but at least more than 0?

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I think the candidates should

• Options
    The solution to a broken political discourse is not to institute some sort of weird technocratic quasi-autocracy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I think the candidates should

The idea of performing a cursory background check...something like a confidential or secret clearance...for candidates and making the decision (but not the inputs) to that decision part of the public record may make some amount of sense on its face.

The primary issue would be trusting that the officials involved would be non-partisan in what is sure to be a very politically sensitive decision. I don’t think it works on that issue alone.

The foreign contacts piece you can work around, you simply revise the criteria or scope it such that foreign business contacts or contacts of contacts from other political positions are fine, but that extremely potentially compromising contacts can still be an issue. But primarily you want to run a criminal history, financial history, general truthfulness history, and look for specifically erratic or compromising behavior.

Most or at least many politicians who are in a position to run would, I think, pass.

I think we all know clearly that certain individuals would not.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

No. That's the point.
    Worse than electing someone who's compromised to hell and back? (And, in Trump's case, is a senile narcissist with no concept of consequences; but let's assume hope Trump is an outlier.)

The solution to me would be to vet people for high office the same way for a security clearance and make the results public.

This isn’t a fool proof solution, as the past couple years demonstrate, but a lot of politicians wouldn’t necessarily qualify for a clearance, never mind the myriad of different compartmented programs that ban people based on background.

I don’t like that elected officials automatically get a clearance but the alternative seems too easily taken advantage of by a single bad actor.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    What does it mean for democracy when the majority of the population decides they want X's platform and then an unelected spook says he can't have the job because of a real estate deal he did or a friend he has?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This would require a constitutional amendment. The requirements for being President are laid out pretty clearly, and top-level officers only have to be able to be approved by the Senate.

And like others said, giving DoD an effective veto over who is allowed to hold office is an awful idea.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    KetBra wrote: »
    The solution to a broken political discourse is not to institute some sort of weird technocratic quasi-autocracy

At the same time why shouldn’t the CiC have to pass the same scope of background check I had to pass to carry a radio?

Edit: or at least submit to it, and have the outcome known.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Maybe it's just me, but an unaccountable unelected (board? Individual? General Secretary) deciding who gets to run and who does not get to run sure doesn't sound like a democracy to me.
    mcdermott wrote: »

At the same time why shouldn’t the CiC have to pass the same scope of background check I had to pass to carry a radio?

Because supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from the IC or DoD or whatever the fuck.

No offense, but this idea is Terrible, because you're setting up a system where some unaccountable body is determining your political leadership

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

If no level of civilian government is above the idea of state secrets then in a very real way you're placing your intelligence apparatus as the highest authority in the country.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Like seriously, this is a fantastic way to never, ever have a Democratic President again. Or anyone who has ever smoked weed. Or had a lot of debt. Or had an affair. Etc, etc, etc.

• Options
    Don't think you can really legislate around the risks of democracy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    To put it another way, if Obama were a 2020 candidate I would not want an administration run by a birther doing his background check.

Quid on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    What does it mean for democracy when the majority of the population decides they want X's platform and then an unelected spook says he can't have the job because of a real estate deal he did or a friend he has?

Or when the opposition party manages to take both the senate and house in a midterm election and pass changes to clearance requirements that specifically affect the president. We already have mechanisms to deal with an elected official that becomes a danger to their own country, gating just being able to run for office behind something as nebulous as security clearance would be chilling.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Like seriously, this is a fantastic way to never, ever have a Democratic President again. Or anyone who has ever smoked weed. Or had a lot of debt. Or had an affair. Etc, etc, etc.

None of that is disqualifying.

Hiding it is.

I agree that a formal clearance requirement, legally, it would be a nonstarter. I think the idea of requiring candidates to submit to the investigation, at the primary stage, is interesting. Failure to be cleared wouldn’t be a bar, it’d just be...something to be noted.

I do agree that this probably causes more problems than it solves.

mcdermott on
  • Options

Hiding it is.

I agree that a formal clearance requirement, legally, it would be a nonstarter. I think the idea of requiring candidates to submit to the investigation, at the primary stage, is interesting. Failure to be cleared wouldn’t be a bar, it’d just be...something to be noted.

Just like not releasing your tax returns is supposed to be disqualifying, right?

• Options
    Don't think you can really legislate around the risks of democracy.

This is what it ultimately boils down to. We have a mechanism to remove an official who proves to be compromised. It requires the electorate to demand it.

If a sufficient portion of the electorate doesn’t care? So it goes. If a sufficient portion of the electorate prefers to elect a crook or fascist or madman? So it goes. You can try and ensure the electorate is informed. You can try to shift social and political norms to make such things unacceptable. But ultimately if enough of us are terrible, we get terrible outcomes. That’s just how it works.

And as I said, while I find some aspects of this idea interesting, ultimately any implementation is gonna cause more problems then it solves.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Now, even if this is obviously a bad idea for elected positions... what about for cabinet positions, etc.?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Now, even if this is obviously a bad idea for elected positions... what about for cabinet positions, etc.?

I think it avoids the ethical issues though I have my doubts about efficacy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

No. That's the point.

The solution to me would be to vet people for high office the same way for a security clearance and make the results public.

This isn’t a fool proof solution, as the past couple years demonstrate, but a lot of politicians wouldn’t necessarily qualify for a clearance, never mind the myriad of different compartmented programs that ban people based on background.

I don’t like that elected officials automatically get a clearance but the alternative seems too easily taken advantage of by a single bad actor.

That does seem more reasonable than giving the intelligence apparatus a hard veto.

If nothing else, maybe the mainstream media would be more willing to signal boost an official report.

• Options
    edited January 2019

No. That's the point.

That does seem more reasonable than giving the intelligence apparatus a hard veto.

If nothing else, maybe the mainstream media would be more willing to signal boost an official report.

Asking opaque politically motivated agencies to publicly cast judgment on candidates opens up a whole different can of worms.

The less your spies have to do with your elections the better.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

No. That's the point.

Asking opaque politically motivated agencies to publicly cast judgment on candidates opens up a whole different can of worms.

Background investigators aren’t spies? Background checks are generally done by OPM though I’ve seen law enforcement for FBI and NCIS do them too. They don’t cast judgement either. They just interview and document available information about a person’s background, then provide it to whoever asked for it.

It’s something I’d honestly be fine with elected officials getting a top secret clearance being subjected to, though preferably non binding.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

No. That's the point.

Background investigators aren’t spies? Background checks are generally done by OPM though I’ve seen law enforcement for FBI and NCIS do them too. They don’t cast judgement either. They just interview and document available information about a person’s background, then provide it to whoever asked for it.

It’s something I’d honestly be fine with elected officials getting a top secret clearance being subjected to, though preferably non binding.

Yeah. Do the check, make that info public, but don't make it mean the person can't run.

• Options

No. That's the point.

I'm playing fast and loose with "spy" there but I think the same reasoning applies to cops. They don't pass judgement when they're interviewing some random guy to be a data analyst. Why would they? There's no incentive.

When they're interviewing a presidential candidate do you really trust the FBI to absolutely not act in accordance with the relevant individuals' political beliefs or under pressure from others? Do you think you could act with absolutely no political prejudice if your subject was, say, Presidential Candidate Tom Cotton?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Most of this is more appropriately the job of journalists.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I think having the CiC and others submit to a background check with the results made public the best idea. It wouldn't be binding on the POTUS and his/her cabinet's ability to hold office or the job, but would give the voters information about who they voted on.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Or when the opposition party manages to take both the senate and house in a midterm election and pass changes to clearance requirements that specifically affect the president. We already have mechanisms to deal with an elected official that becomes a danger to their own country, gating just being able to run for office behind something as nebulous as security clearance would be chilling.

There are plenty of problems with the idea, but this is not one of them. If you can override a veto on partisan grounds then you can impeach
    Polaritie wrote: »

It already happens for cabinet positions etc. The senate gets the report and then either consents or does not.

No. That's the point.

I'm playing fast and loose with "spy" there but I think the same reasoning applies to cops. They don't pass judgement when they're interviewing some random guy to be a data analyst. Why would they? There's no incentive.

When they're interviewing a presidential candidate do you really trust the FBI to absolutely not act in accordance with the relevant individuals' political beliefs or under pressure from others? Do you think you could act with absolutely no political prejudice if your subject was, say, Presidential Candidate Tom Cotton?

Or more relevant given what happened with Comey and Clinton?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

No. That's the point.

Yes? When you're tasked with solely obtaining information and not providing any interpretation it's actually remarkably easy. I've done it before. Thousands of people do it regularly.

As nice as it would be for journalists to solely do it, they lack the resources, authority, and sometimes even the motivation to do so.

• Options

You're not wrong, but our news media is hopelessly broken right now. Just like everything else.

• Options

You're not wrong, but our news media is hopelessly broken right now. Just like everything else.

Thinking that getting the FBI involved in electoral politicking will make things better is an astoundingly ahistorical take.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Thinking that getting the FBI involved in electoral politicking will make things better is an astoundingly ahistorical take.

A background investigation is not electoral politicking. I'm genuinely not sure what you think could be done to achieve such a result.

• Options
    edited January 2019

A background investigation is not electoral politicking. I'm genuinely not sure what you think could be done to achieve such a result.

It is when its done on the highest profile candidates in our democracy and then the results are made public knowledge. The reasonable question isn't "why do we think they've be biased" but "why would we think they can't be?" Especially as we're currently living through the results of an FBI office acting with an overtly political agenda.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Hiding it is.

Just like not releasing your tax returns is supposed to be disqualifying, right?

What are you talking about?

Past drug use or infidelity will not prevent an applicant from getting a clearance. That’s what I am saying. It is not a hard disqualifier. So plenty of people who have that in their past can still get clearances. If we had a clearance requirement for high office, Democrats and people who, like, went to college would still get in.

I do, however, agree this is a nonstarter. I’ll repeat: I do not think a clearance requirement make sense for elected office. One more time: I do not think requiring candidates pass a clearance investigation would work.

That said, I find the idea of performing the process, and releasing the decision, interesting. The people would still be free to elect somebody who fails a clearance process in this hypothetical system. The same way they were free to elect a grifter who refused to release his tax returns (as you note). It would simply be one more piece of information to go into the campaign machines and get spun and worked to whatever advantage it might create.

But of course finding it interesting doesn’t mean I think it would work. Or is worth the drawbacks. Just...interesting. But probably never going to be politically feasible even if it’s legally possible...which it may not be.

• Options

It is when its done on the highest profile candidates in our democracy and then the results are made public knowledge.

You aren't really providing any reason to think it would.

Are you also against proposals for the IRS to release the tax returns of candidates?

• Options
    edited January 2019

It is when its done on the highest profile candidates in our democracy and then the results are made public knowledge.

Are you also against proposals for the IRS to release the tax returns of candidates?

Tax returns are evaluations of fitness. They're not findings, they're just a financial record.

I also trust the IRS to be accurate in their data far, far more than I trust law enforcement.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Tax returns are evaluations of fitness. They're not findings, they're just a financial record.

So are background checks. They ask a series of questions that are then verify them against available data. That's it. They can't be altered any more than someone at the IRS could alter a tax return.