Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

13468912

Posts

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I’m of two minds on the Conan movie.

    As a Robert Howard fanboy it gets so much wrong with the character of Conan it’s bordering the edge of sad and funny. But everything else about the movie fits so well into Howard’s setting it’s uncanny. The snake cults, the sad king, two friends sitting on a hill discussing their gods. Thulsa motherfucking Doom.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    Blizzard ID:StoneDudeman
    ElvenshaeChiselphane
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Watched aquaman last night. It was good. Fun little ride, a little all over the place. Not sure I'd call it a good movie but I enjoyed my time with it.

    Might be the best DC live actiom movie but that's a low bar to clear.

  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Conan gets drunk and punches a camel.

    Great stuff.

    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    BlackDragon480ElvenshaeShawnasee
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Maybe I misunderstand what you’re saying, but isn’t that pretty much what the first two Body Snatchers movies were, and successfully so?

    Listen, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

    Anyway, the premise of Blazing Saddles is highly specific in a way that Body Snatchers isn’t—going back to the original novel, the story made a strong template for any commentary about social conformity to be layered in on top of it. Two different situations really. You could remake High Noon so it was about the Iraq War from the Republican perspective pretty easily, but it’s a lot less rewarding to try and remake, say, Victor/Victoria updated for today’s gay and gender issues. The context is just too different for that to be a good idea—instead we got, say, Tangerine, whose form and content are wholly responding to present circumstances.
    I guess it depends on what you consider a remake and how much of the original you'd consider necessary. I can definitely imagine a film that takes the premise of Blazing Saddles that comments on present-day race relations as well as to what has and hasn't changed since the original film, and I can even imagine such a film to do a good job. I don't think that this is easy, mind you, and my problem with remakes is that most of the time it's the studio that comes up with the idea, not the creative minds. If someone like Jordan Peele said, "I've come up with an idea for a Blazing Saddles remake that does some pretty cool things," I'm there. If Warner Bros. said the same, I'd be more than a little doubtful.

    A remade Blazing Saddles would be most interesting by moving the time period ahead a hundred years or so and changing the setting to the current "blue" west like Washington, California or Colorado.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Registered User regular
    I’m of two minds on the Conan movie.

    As a Robert Howard fanboy it gets so much wrong with the character of Conan it’s bordering the edge of sad and funny. But everything else about the movie fits so well into Howard’s setting it’s uncanny. The snake cults, the sad king, two friends sitting on a hill discussing their gods. Thulsa motherfucking Doom.

    Have you read Howard's Kull the Conqueror series? I remember being told that Conan the Barbarian (1982) is a blend of Conan and Kull.

    15wxzkn.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I saw the Kull movie with Kevin Sorbo. Does that count?

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    No, no it does not.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Doctor DetroitElvenshae
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I’m of two minds on the Conan movie.

    As a Robert Howard fanboy it gets so much wrong with the character of Conan it’s bordering the edge of sad and funny. But everything else about the movie fits so well into Howard’s setting it’s uncanny. The snake cults, the sad king, two friends sitting on a hill discussing their gods. Thulsa motherfucking Doom.

    Have you read Howard's Kull the Conqueror series? I remember being told that Conan the Barbarian (1982) is a blend of Conan and Kull.
    I’ve read a little Kull. Personally I’d chalk the similarities up to Kull being proto-Conan.

    I mean, don’t get me wrong, I really like the ‘82 movie. It’s got style and gravitas and the score is amazing and you’ve got James Earl Jones being great and Mako is there and it’s all fucking fantastic. I just really like Howard’s Conan and while Arnold has the look he falls short in so many ways. (Which isn’t his fault so much as the scripts.)

    Arnold’s Conan is kind of naive and slow and seems quite content being a slave until dude literally throws him out. Howard’s Conan is cunning, charming, ruthless, and way faster than any dude his size has a right to be.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    Blizzard ID:StoneDudeman
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    wanderingTheBlackWind
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    Is he, though? What level of risk aversion, or lack thereof, and acceptance of one's own mortality reaches the "insane" threshhold?

    Anyway yeah that shit cray

    Elvenshae
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Hard to say.

    I kinda wanted a documentary about the people making the movie even more. It’s hard enough to make a documentary when you’re not also hanging off a mountain on a rope with a camera in your hand!

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    wanderingTheBlackWind
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    Is he, though? What level of risk aversion, or lack thereof, and acceptance of one's own mortality reaches the "insane" threshhold?

    Anyway yeah that shit cray
    Lopping 30-40 years off your life expectancy maybe qualifies.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seal wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    Is he, though? What level of risk aversion, or lack thereof, and acceptance of one's own mortality reaches the "insane" threshhold?

    Anyway yeah that shit cray
    Lopping 30-40 years off your life expectancy maybe qualifies.

    Wildland firefighters? Crab fishermen? Riding a motorcycle/driving a fast car like an asshole on the regular?

    People do lots of risky things, doesn't mean they're insane.

    He doesn't appear to be suicidal or extremely depressed. His brain literally works differently than most. Whether his (lack of, imo) emotional development in his early life resulted in this, or he trained it in later through climbing: hard to say. I think it's fascinating. I would pee myself doing one pitch of El Cap on double ropes.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Hard to say.

    I kinda wanted a documentary about the people making the movie even more. It’s hard enough to make a documentary when you’re not also hanging off a mountain on a rope with a camera in your hand!

    I found the scenes where they are visibly contemplating that they're about to watch their friend die, on camera, pretty compelling.

    AstaerethwanderingTheBlackWind
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    Is he, though? What level of risk aversion, or lack thereof, and acceptance of one's own mortality reaches the "insane" threshhold?

    Anyway yeah that shit cray
    Lopping 30-40 years off your life expectancy maybe qualifies.

    Wildland firefighters? Crab fishermen? Riding a motorcycle/driving a fast car like an asshole on the regular?

    People do lots of risky things, doesn't mean they're insane.

    He doesn't appear to be suicidal or extremely depressed. His brain literally works differently than most. Whether his (lack of, imo) emotional development in his early life resulted in this, or he trained it in later through climbing: hard to say. I think it's fascinating. I would pee myself doing one pitch of El Cap on double ropes.

    None of those things are as risky as free soloing, the odd fisherman or logger will die while working but as far as I can tell if you're into free solo you will die doing it. You make a mistake crabbing maybe you'll be injured, maybe you die. Make a mistake free soloing and you are dead, some park rangers get to scrape your remains off the bottom of a cliff. Thrill seeking is fine but if you come to the conclusion that a margin of error just takes too much away from the experience maybe you need to re-evaluate what you're doing.

    FANTOMAS
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People are kind of designed to risk life and limb, aren't they? Whether for nation or family, glory or god - the question seems to be whether it's "worth it" or not. At the end of the day it's a completely irrational thing to do because once you're dead, you're dead.

    a.k.a. Antaeus or Nubmonger

    -A digital receiver in an analog world.
    ElvenshaeLegacy
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Free soloing strikes me as more akin to russian roulette then anything.

    SealN1tSt4lkerElvenshaeLegacy
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Conan gets drunk and punches a camel.

    Great stuff.

    Actually, they had just ate the black lotus that one vendor in the marketplace sold them. So they weren't drunk, they were tripping their balls off.

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    RchanenSchadenfreudeNobeardElvenshae
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    People are kind of designed to risk life and limb, aren't they? Whether for nation or family, glory or god - the question seems to be whether it's "worth it" or not. At the end of the day it's a completely irrational thing to do because once you're dead, you're dead.

    That's not really my question, whether it's worth it. It's not worth it, for me. It's worth it, for him. We have different levels of risk tolerance and different goals in life.

    My question (taking off from a probably facetious "lunatic" comment) is whether Honmold should be considered insane or crazy. I think nah.

  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seal wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching Oscar noms all weekend. First up was Free Solo, which was a really effective, tense documentary about a friggin’ lunatic.

    Is he, though? What level of risk aversion, or lack thereof, and acceptance of one's own mortality reaches the "insane" threshhold?

    Anyway yeah that shit cray
    Lopping 30-40 years off your life expectancy maybe qualifies.

    Wildland firefighters? Crab fishermen? Riding a motorcycle/driving a fast car like an asshole on the regular?

    People do lots of risky things, doesn't mean they're insane.

    He doesn't appear to be suicidal or extremely depressed. His brain literally works differently than most. Whether his (lack of, imo) emotional development in his early life resulted in this, or he trained it in later through climbing: hard to say. I think it's fascinating. I would pee myself doing one pitch of El Cap on double ropes.

    None of those things are as risky as free soloing, the odd fisherman or logger will die while working but as far as I can tell if you're into free solo you will die doing it. You make a mistake crabbing maybe you'll be injured, maybe you die. Make a mistake free soloing and you are dead, some park rangers get to scrape your remains off the bottom of a cliff. Thrill seeking is fine but if you come to the conclusion that a margin of error just takes too much away from the experience maybe you need to re-evaluate what you're doing.

    Is the last part directed at me? Don't worry I'm very aware of my personal limitations, I was just commenting that El Cap is awesome 😁

  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy RESIST. Registered User regular
    Alita: Battle Angel - Spoilered just in case
    So I kind of liked(?) Alita. It felt like a big movie - Like there were lots of possible subplots that could have been explored. It was a very manga/anime movie thought (which makes sense given the source) and some of the subplots and main plot weren't tied up as neatly as I'd hope. They nailed the special effects and getting the uncanny valley thing right though.

    Jazz
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    People are kind of designed to risk life and limb, aren't they? Whether for nation or family, glory or god - the question seems to be whether it's "worth it" or not. At the end of the day it's a completely irrational thing to do because once you're dead, you're dead.

    That's not really my question, whether it's worth it. It's not worth it, for me. It's worth it, for him. We have different levels of risk tolerance and different goals in life.

    My question (taking off from a probably facetious "lunatic" comment) is whether Honmold should be considered insane or crazy. I think nah.

    I haven't seen the movie, but from what I've read it sounds pretty close. Does he have kids? If so, that'd be a kicker for me.

    a.k.a. Antaeus or Nubmonger

    -A digital receiver in an analog world.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 10
    So It Goes wrote: »
    People are kind of designed to risk life and limb, aren't they? Whether for nation or family, glory or god - the question seems to be whether it's "worth it" or not. At the end of the day it's a completely irrational thing to do because once you're dead, you're dead.

    That's not really my question, whether it's worth it. It's not worth it, for me. It's worth it, for him. We have different levels of risk tolerance and different goals in life.

    My question (taking off from a probably facetious "lunatic" comment) is whether Honmold should be considered insane or crazy. I think nah.

    I haven't seen the movie, but from what I've read it sounds pretty close. Does he have kids? If so, that'd be a kicker for me.

    No, but if he did I'd call it irresponsible/selfish but not insane.

    Also you should see the movie! It's good!

    So It Goes on
  • AtomikaAtomika not a robot. does not eat bugs!Registered User regular
    Russian Doll was the best thing Netflix has ever done in live-action

    MalReynoldsBloodySlothshrykeTheBlackWind
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Russian Doll was the best thing Netflix has ever done in live-action

    It seemed like Happy Death day, but straight comedy?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wrong thread night owls

  • KetarKetar My autocomplete is a tad agressive today.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Russian Doll was the best thing Netflix has ever done in live-action

    It seemed like Happy Death day, but straight comedy?

    No, it's definitely not straight comedy.

    AtomikaBloodySlothEmperorSethCimmeriitynicEddy
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I like this opening title sequence

    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang



    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
    MalReynoldsWiseManTobesBeyond NormalPreacherEddyKoopahTroopahLegacy
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    People are kind of designed to risk life and limb, aren't they? Whether for nation or family, glory or god - the question seems to be whether it's "worth it" or not. At the end of the day it's a completely irrational thing to do because once you're dead, you're dead.

    That's not really my question, whether it's worth it. It's not worth it, for me. It's worth it, for him. We have different levels of risk tolerance and different goals in life.

    My question (taking off from a probably facetious "lunatic" comment) is whether Honmold should be considered insane or crazy. I think nah.

    I haven't seen the movie, but from what I've read it sounds pretty close. Does he have kids? If so, that'd be a kicker for me.

    No, but if he did I'd call it irresponsible/selfish but not insane.

    Also you should see the movie! It's good!

    Fine, fine. But it better be good! :P

    a.k.a. Antaeus or Nubmonger

    -A digital receiver in an analog world.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Free Solo is the one where they break into Jabba’s Palace, right

    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
    SorceAtomikaBloodySlothInquisitor77PailryderSealEmperorSethRchanenJazzElJeffeDoctor DetroitBeyond NormalN1tSt4lkerAistanHefflingSnicketysnickwanderingDarkPrimusbrynhrtmnElvenshaeKoopahTroopahBobbleJoolanderLegacy
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Yesterday I went to see The Favourite.

    It feels like a lifetime since I saw something so well scripted, cast and acted

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    RMS Oceanictynic
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yesterday I went to see The Favourite.

    It feels like a lifetime since I saw something so well scripted, cast and acted

    Well maybe now you can answer my question about Queen Anne's attitude towards the Penal Laws

    Mojo_Jojo
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yesterday I went to see The Favourite.

    It feels like a lifetime since I saw something so well scripted, cast and acted

    Well maybe now you can answer my question about Queen Anne's attitude towards the Penal Laws

    LOOK AT ME

    HOW DARE YOU

    CLOSE YOUR EYES

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    RMS OceanicFencingsaxAstaerethBobble
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've seen a film as gorgeous to look at as Cold War. It's also been a while since I've seen a final scene as perfect as that of Cold War.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Hybrid
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Oh god my heart

    Damn you, Shoplifters

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    Thirith
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    As fine an example of the Kore-eda sucker punch as there’s ever been.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I’m pretty sure it’s the first movie of his I’ve seen. The way it slowly, gently lays the groundwork and then tears you in half is pretty incredible.

    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 10
    knitdan wrote: »
    Free Solo is the one where they break into Jabba’s Palace, right

    Every single time I see that title, I immediately think it's a mockumentary (or perhaps an actual documentary that doesn't realize how ludicrous it's being) about some irate Star Wars fans trying to break into the Skywalker Ranch to retrieve Lord & Miller's actually-completed-but-not-released-because-conspiracy version of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

    DarkPrimus on
    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    SnicketysnickwanderingBloodySlothFencingsaxJohnny ChopsockyJayrichoSorceElvenshaeKoopahTroopahjimb213abotkinHeffling
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I enjoyed The Favourite, but it did feel kind of... flat (?) tonally. There wasn't a lot of what I'd call tension and release, ups and downs, surprises even. It all proceeded basically as expected, at a breezy clip, and was very entertaining while doing so. It's very much a movie carried by the strength of its performances and delightfully vulgar dialogue (similar to Armanda Iannucci's work in that sense), as the storyline is not really something that sticks with you and seems mostly besides the point. Very different from Dogtooth (the only other Lanthimos I've seen) where I was really drawn into the premise and the drama of how the plot unfolded.

    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Seeing Shoplifters and Capernaum in the same day was a bad idea. Both are heartbreaking depictions of children dealing with poverty, crime, abuse, and abandonment. They’re really good movies, but still, yeesh.

    ACsTqqK.jpg
13468912
Sign In or Register to comment.