As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here, Talk About Impeachment

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Some people want to talk about impeachment, including a bunch of Democrats in the House. Other people DON'T want to talk about impeachment, including a bunch of different Democrats in the House. Are you part of that first group? Cool, here is a thread to do that thing.

Let it be said, though, that the last impeachment thread turned into endless pages of "impeachment is stupid, we must be strategical!" vs "impeachment is the One True Way, we must be brave!" at ever increasing volume. This is not a thread to yell at one another! And before you post something that has already been said 284 times before, ask yourself what you're really contributing to this discussion. If the thread BECOMES just a place to yell at one another, it will be sent into the corner to think about what it's done.

So anyway.

Impeachment.

GO.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think that the Democratic leadership legitimately thinks that not impeaching is somehow going to play better for them in 2020, and I think that's a foolish bet to make considering how brazen and emboldened everyone on Trump's side is after sensing the weakness in their opposition.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Yeah after McConnell blamed Obama for not doing enough to stop Russia when he all but stated he would help the Russians ; I'm all in on starting the impeachment inquiry on this asshole.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Can someone smarter than me help break down the different levers available to (mostly) Dems in Congress. Here's what I think I know so far, please correct as needed:

1. Investigative committees / hearings: Already kind of doing this, but for the most part they're being stonewalled by the Executive branch basically ignoring all directives and subpoenas. Only real recourse here is to go to #2

2. Start impeachment hearings: I have no idea if this is the same as actually the same as drawing up articles of impeachment, or if the articles are the potential result of the hearings? Can someone clarify?

3. Actual Impeachment: This is where articles of Impeachment have been drafted (usually by one of the Committees), outlining the charges against a public official (Trump or Barr most likely in this case). If this were to occur, the entire House debates and votes to approve the articles (or just parts of them). This only requires a simple majority. At that point, certain members of the House would be tasked to present their arguments to the Senate.

From there you get the more stereotypical "trial" presided over by the Supreme Court. The Senate would vote after the trial, with a super majority (2/3rds) needed to convict.

Am I missing anything?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think that even if it has no way of getting passed through (Does the Senate have to confirm?) that they should at least try impeachment. Show that they are serious about this. Dude committed crimes while in office! Many crimes!

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think that even if it has no way of getting passed through (Does the Senate have to confirm?) that they should at least try impeachment. Show that they are serious about this. Dude committed crimes while in office! Many crimes!

Senate holds the trial.

House only needs a 50% vote to start impeachment. Then they are pretty much hands off. When it is over, removal takes a 2/3rds vote from the Senate.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Can someone smarter than me help break down the different levers available to (mostly) Dems in Congress. Here's what I think I know so far, please correct as needed:

1. Investigative committees / hearings: Already kind of doing this, but for the most part they're being stonewalled by the Executive branch basically ignoring all directives and subpoenas. Only real recourse here is to go to #2

2. Start impeachment hearings: I have no idea if this is the same as actually the same as drawing up articles of impeachment, or if the articles are the potential result of the hearings? Can someone clarify?

3. Actual Impeachment: This is where articles of Impeachment have been drafted (usually by one of the Committees), outlining the charges against a public official (Trump or Barr most likely in this case). If this were to occur, the entire House debates and votes to approve the articles (or just parts of them). This only requires a simple majority. At that point, certain members of the House would be tasked to present their arguments to the Senate.

From there you get the more stereotypical "trial" presided over by the Supreme Court. The Senate would vote after the trial, with a super majority (2/3rds) needed to convict.

Am I missing anything?

This is correct, except that only the Chief Justice presides as the whole Senate listens to the trial.

Also there is the terrifying little wrinkle that the Constitution does not actually FORCE the Senate to listen or hold a vote. It only invest the Senate with the power to convict and remove the official.

Not holding the trial would be Death of the Republic level unthinkable but, Mitch McConnell presides over the Senate so nothing is 100% certain any longer.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I cannot imagine McConnell agreeing to hold the trial.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    People need to at least know that one party is trying to save the republic IMO

• Options
    edited May 2019
    BSoB wrote: »

Senate holds the trial.

House only needs a 50% vote to start impeachment. Then they are pretty much hands off. When it is over, removal takes a 2/3rds vote from the Senate.

This is not really true. Past Senate trials have involved House managers of the trial in the Senate (basically prosecutors).

Fun fact: As a House Manager for the Clinton Impeachment, one Lindsey Graham made his first big national debut. Last I checked the fellow seems less keen on the process.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Senate holds the trial.

This is not really true. Past Senate trials have involved House managers of the trial in the Senate (basically prosecutors).

Fun fact: As a House Manager for the Clinton Impeachment, one Lindsey Graham made his first big national debut. Last I checked the fellow seems less keen on the process.

I'm not following? The Senate votes on whether to convict or not. But he's right, only 50% of the House is needed to START impeachment.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    People need to at least know that one party is trying to save the republic IMO

Proceedings should be started with the obvious assumption that its going to fail. But things have degraded so much that we are at the point where not starting the proceedings in the House makes the House leadership negligent in their responsibilities as members of Congress.

• Options
    Also as an aside, I get why there is so much process and procedure involved with removing someone from office. But it's confusing as hell, and the average Joe doesn't understand what impeachment really is (it's a trial to determine whether to remove said person from office). So I really wonder what the polls would look like if people understood that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Senate holds the trial.

I'm not following? The Senate votes on whether to convict or not. But he's right, only 50% of the House is needed to START impeachment.

The process doesn't really start with the House vote, it starts in committee. What is being debated right now is whether to formally start that committee process. Then it goes through committee, is voted upon by the House, and if it received a majority the President is impeached. Then, the matter is referred to the Senate for the trial, where representatives from the House provide their case to the Senate.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I agree, and in my lifetime there has been a presidential impeachment.

• Options

Senate holds the trial.

The process doesn't really start with the House vote, it starts in committee. What is being debated right now is whether to formally start that committee process. Then it goes through committee, is voted upon by the House, and if it received a majority the President is impeached. Then, the matter is referred to the Senate for the trial, where representatives from the House provide their case to the Senate.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hoyer has budged, I'm kinda surprised:
    “We are confronting what might be the largest, broadest cover-up in American history,” Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told reporters. If a House inquiry “leads to other avenues including impeachment,” the Maryland Democrat said, “so be it.”

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think that the Democratic leadership legitimately thinks that not impeaching is somehow going to play better for them in 2020, and I think that's a foolish bet to make considering how brazen and emboldened everyone on Trump's side is after sensing the weakness in their opposition.

I think where this started is that Democratic leadership:
    1) Knows they don't have the votes for impeachment and/or doesn't have all the Democrats on board
    2) Thinks that just running a bunch of hearings instead of outright impeachment gets them the negative Trump press they want without the risks associated with impeachment
    That was their original position.

I think that it has become increasing obvious as the Trump Admin and the GOP engage in an unprecedented level of obstruction that 2) is no longer viable and that's why you are seeing the change of stances in the just-below-leadership ranks.

I think though that for the moment 1) remains true, which is a big part of why Democratic leadership has yet to fully embrace a different stance.

The other thing is, of course, general DC culture problems and the utter stupidity of Democratic DC strategists (which are linked issues of course)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    “We are confronting what might be the largest, broadest cover-up in American history,” Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told reporters. If a House inquiry “leads to other avenues including impeachment,” the Maryland Democrat said, “so be it.”

That means the vote count is shifting.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That means the vote count is shifting.

We can see that from public statements. I was trying to find some place keeping a running tally. I think we're somewhere around 20-30 publicly in favor now?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Definitely seems like the idea is getting more momentum in the House than it seemed like it would a few weeks ago.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "The American people deserve to have a presidency not encumbered with blah blah blah" god I can hear it now.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The level of current obstruction is not just enough to warrant impeachment of Trump and his accomplices (that can be impeached)

It’s maybe/just about at the point where I’d start calling for removal from office of house members that don’t move to impeach

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this shit Jeffe and other mods.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Am I missing anything?

This is correct, except that only the Chief Justice presides as the whole Senate listens to the trial.

Also there is the terrifying little wrinkle that the Constitution does not actually FORCE the Senate to listen or hold a vote. It only invest the Senate with the power to convict and remove the official.

Not holding the trial would be Death of the Republic level unthinkable but, Mitch McConnell presides over the Senate so nothing is 100% certain any longer.

Not holding the trial is like a half-step worse than refusing to hold a vote on a Supreme Court nominee. It's not any more death of the republic than we're already at, which is to say it's been dead for awhile but it's not like we're gonna see riots in the streets or anything.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "The American people deserve to have a presidency not encumbered with blah blah blah" god I can hear it now.

The other concern is that depending on how the method of impeachment is handled, they don't try and slam dunk this fucker quickly.

Who gets to decide when the vote for conviction happens? I know Roberts has a role, but can McConnell, on day 1, say "Well, I think we've all heard enough, I am now calling a vote."

Because I think the Trump Administration would much prefer a "Senate voted against impeachment" outcome to "McConnell Garland'd the impeachment".

Same argument @Henroid mentioned would be the presiding statement, along with "We've already read the Mueller report, there was no reason to drag the trial out".

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its good to see the party starting to push back on leadership

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, Congress hasn’t read the version of the report they are obliged to read to carry out their duties, because of the ongoing, open and public cover up.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I think where this started is that Democratic leadership:
    1) Knows they don't have the votes for impeachment and/or doesn't have all the Democrats on board
    2) Thinks that just running a bunch of hearings instead of outright impeachment gets them the negative Trump press they want without the risks associated with impeachment
    That was their original position.

I think that it has become increasing obvious as the Trump Admin and the GOP engage in an unprecedented level of obstruction that 2) is no longer viable and that's why you are seeing the change of stances in the just-below-leadership ranks.

I think though that for the moment 1) remains true, which is a big part of why Democratic leadership has yet to fully embrace a different stance.

The other thing is, of course, general DC culture problems and the utter stupidity of Democratic DC strategists (which are linked issues of course)

If it's one, then the democrats best choice is to run more hearings and hope that turns up more information that convinces more people to be aboard with that idea.

I posted this in the Mueller thread, but I'll link it here because given when a good chunk of Trump's illegal bullshit was conducted. This probably makes it much more likely that someone turns on him because once that law goes into effect. Any fucker that committed a crime on Trump's behalf, while in New York, breaking state laws, will not be saved by Trump's abuse of the pardon.

Once one of those guys gets caught. They only have two options now. Either sell Trump out in hopes of a plea deal that means they get a lighter punishment. Or eat the full brunt of the punishment. I suspect the latter is going to not be very appealing given Trump's track record of completely fucking his people over for his own hide.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Definitely seems like the idea is getting more momentum in the House than it seemed like it would a few weeks ago.

It'd have been nice to start moving sooner . Dem leadership loves polls and shaking their fingers threatening to do something 6-7 items before they actually have a meeting where they discuss the possibility of doing something.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The other concern is that depending on how the method of impeachment is handled, they don't try and slam dunk this fucker quickly.

Who gets to decide when the vote for conviction happens? I know Roberts has a role, but can McConnell, on day 1, say "Well, I think we've all heard enough, I am now calling a vote."

Because I think the Trump Administration would much prefer a "Senate voted against impeachment" outcome to "McConnell Garland'd the impeachment".

Same argument @Henroid mentioned would be the presiding statement, along with "We've already read the Mueller report, there was no reason to drag the trial out".

The administration might, but a sham trial followed by a party-line vote is not going to endear the GOP to anyone who is capable of independent thought

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Mill wrote: »
    Once one of those guys gets caught. They only have two options now. Either sell Trump out in hopes of a plea deal that means they get a lighter punishment. Or eat the full brunt of the punishment. I suspect the latter is going to not be very appealing given Trump's track record of completely fucking his people over for his own hide.
    Yeah, but those guys were all people that Trump didn't know, or who betrayed him. But he wouldn't do that TO ME!

Don't underestimate the delusions some of these fuckers suffer under. They're even more self-absorbed than the people who vote for the Face Eating Leopards Party.

At this point, anyone rational enough to understand the consequences of taking the brunt in the hope of a pardon, or compensation, has already abandoned the President.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Monwyn wrote: »

Same argument Henroid mentioned would be the presiding statement, along with "We've already read the Mueller report, there was no reason to drag the trial out".

The administration might, but a sham trial followed by a party-line vote is not going to endear the GOP to anyone who is capable of independent thought

I think most people are fairly divided. But I do think there are more low information "undecideds"* that'd be swayed more by a partisan line vote, than they would by the Senate not fulfilling it's role. Much easier to argue "Washington as usual" to cover the former, than defend "Coverup!" for the latter.

* At this point, I think using "low information" and "undecided" in the same sentence are a tautology for the most part. Anyone who's been paying attention at this point, should have made up their mind.

MorganV on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can I get taken out of the tagging please?

• Options

Same argument Henroid mentioned would be the presiding statement, along with "We've already read the Mueller report, there was no reason to drag the trial out".

Chief Justice Roberts decides - McConnell has no control over the trial once it begins.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That assumes that McConnell can't coerce the Chief Justice.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    That assumes that McConnell can't coerce the Chief Justice.

Like what, threaten his family? There's no political way he could bring any influence to bear against the Chief Justice.

• Options
    This isn’t a matter of whether to impeach over an incident that has already happened

Trump continues to illegally profit off being president every day until he’s removed from office. And I don’t mean in the way that all presidents become rich because they monetize the prestige of being president, I mean actual blood and laundered money.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Chief Justice Roberts decides - McConnell has no control over the trial once it begins.

He decides? I thought Senate was the jury and the chief Justice merely presides.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

He decides? I thought Senate was the jury and the chief Justice merely presides.

Senate votes, Justice operates the proceedings.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, but those guys were all people that Trump didn't know, or who betrayed him. But he wouldn't do that TO ME!

Don't underestimate the delusions some of these fuckers suffer under. They're even more self-absorbed than the people who vote for the Face Eating Leopards Party.

At this point, anyone rational enough to understand the consequences of taking the brunt in the hope of a pardon, or compensation, has already abandoned the President.

The delusion was probably easier to believe in, when the pardon would at least be effective for these fuckers, if they lived in New York. Now that New York, has taken it off the table, it just got harder and it only really takes one finally cracking. It's worth noting, that Trump isn't the only fucker that will get burned when someone cracks, these swine will rat out multiple people involved in both an effort to minimize their punishment and ensure that the plea deal sticks. I know if I were a prosecutor in New York, that goes after any of these guys, I'd make it crystal clear that failure to disclose any crimes they committed for or with Trump, along with knowingly withhold names of accomplices will render their deal null and void.

I suspect will see a stampede of scumbags trying to cover their asses before the end of summer.

This discussion has been closed.