As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the pod comes for us all in the end [jobs]

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm getting second guessed about making changes to a portal/landing page to get into our Learning Management System.

I fully recognize this is one of the most visible parts of our online footprint, and I'm not going to change anything in production without vetting it through a ton of people... but at the same time, all I'm trying to do is make it match the standards of the rest of our websites so it doesn't look outdated, and so it supports a new piece of tech we're installing.

And it's just infuriating seeing emails repeating what I've already said.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh good scheduled meetings for everyone in the department today going over things and discussing things with other departments. *looks at meeting list*

Oh cool I'm not involved in any of these, but every other person in my department is. Even the new lady who transferred here Monday. Great.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Night was a clusterfuck

Clusterfucks prove i am worthy

Clusterfucks delay my ascention

Clusterfucks prove i am worthy

Clusterfucks delay my ascention

is this how cults start

Of personality if he does it right

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I remember when the cultist simulator posts made my e_books comments tame.

Need to play that.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh good scheduled meetings for everyone in the department today going over things and discussing things with other departments. *looks at meeting list*

Oh cool I'm not involved in any of these, but every other person in my department is. Even the new lady who transferred here Monday. Great.

Someone is getting jerked around pretty hard.

And not the fun kind.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I want a cleaner verbiage version of this poster so I can put it up in my computer lab at school.
    @timspork's ghost as you requested:

slnvbqxzmc2r.jpg

Edit made under Creative Commons: https://www.wokegiant.com/copyright-info

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I have mentioned certs to the higher ups at work and they really want me and another team member to go for it.

Primarily at work we troubleshoot network and not hardware problems. Would it be overly ambitious to shoot for CompTIA’s Net+ before A+?

There's no real hierarchy to CompTIA certs - their content is generally exclusive in each. While the general progression tends to be A+ > Net+ > Security+, each one tests on a different area: A+ is hardware basics, Net+ is network basics, Sec+ is security basics (it includes computer security and so you should probably know computer stuff going in, but you don't need to know the Net+ content to take it). You can take any of them at any time.
    CompTIA makes it a little more confusing because they have an hierarchy of the certifications themselves, and higher-tier certifications will refresh the certifications at the lower tier. For example, if I earned Net+ in July 2019, it will expire in 2022. If I take Sec+ in November 2021, it will expire in November 2024, and then my Net+ expiration date will be refreshed to November 2024. A+ gets refreshed by Net+ or Sec+ and any other higher-level certs.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Show up anyway, make it reaaaal awkward.

steam_sig.png

And not the fun kind.

At this point my job is about 40% what I was hired for, 20% calendar curator, and 40% office manager.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

And not the fun kind.

At this point my job is about 40% what I was hired for, 20% calendar curator, and 40% office manager.

Frankly even if they offer you a position after you graduate I would tell them to f*** off.

steam_sig.png
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm getting second guessed about making changes to a portal/landing page to get into our Learning Management System.

I fully recognize this is one of the most visible parts of our online footprint, and I'm not going to change anything in production without vetting it through a ton of people... but at the same time, all I'm trying to do is make it match the standards of the rest of our websites so it doesn't look outdated, and so it supports a new piece of tech we're installing.

There are so, so many people out there who feel they must contribute SOMETHING even if that something is in fact indistinguishable from nothing.

I want a cleaner verbiage version of this poster so I can put it up in my computer lab at school.

a35qa2a0976w.jpg

Fuck yeah!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Today I am at the local university all day for the district librarian curriculum day. This the the day before school starts where teachers go somewhere to have their meetings with all the other teachers in their content areas in the district.

I am presenting on the VR knowledge I’ve gained. This means I have to lug a very heavy duffle bag full of VR computers around to multiple seasons all day because I’m not leaving it in my car when it’s in the upper 90’s and also car thefts are a thing on campus. Also I’m not leaving it somewhere supposedly secure since it all costs over $5k and I don’t trust anyone.

just keep all that shit strapped to your body
    gyOkulE.jpg
    you are the future now

This is actually the stuff I have. I need that mounting stuff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

There are so, so many people out there who feel they must contribute SOMETHING even if that something is in fact indistinguishable from nothing.

In this particular case, it also involves hierarchies and perceived value as being a primary admin. I keep stressing we are a team, and we should work together, and try my best to keep everyone looped in. But.. well.. perception is reality.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    this council meeting is a cluster

yeehaw

Well just got told I have less then a month left in my office. Like the physical office they gave me a little over a month ago. Then my department is all moving up here and my office is needed for one of the managers. Where am I going? Not to one of the normal desks up here, no no because even moving to a bigger area we are still 1 short. And their hiring 2 more people. So me? They requested I get moved in with another department (again) except, that department has no free desk space, so as of right now my boss is unsure where I will go, but they will be trying their damndest to figure it out in the next few weeks.

Maybe I can convince them to let me work from home.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    My PI changed the title of our paper two weeks ago to something I found confusing and redundant. I flagged it, but he stuck to his guns.
    Last night I received a paper revision which included the comment: "surely this title is confusing and redundant? I'm suggesting a change ...

... on the one hand I'm glad he's finally on the same page as me, but on the OTHER hand ...

tynic on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Today I am at the local university all day for the district librarian curriculum day. This the the day before school starts where teachers go somewhere to have their meetings with all the other teachers in their content areas in the district.

I am presenting on the VR knowledge I’ve gained. This means I have to lug a very heavy duffle bag full of VR computers around to multiple seasons all day because I’m not leaving it in my car when it’s in the upper 90’s and also car thefts are a thing on campus. Also I’m not leaving it somewhere supposedly secure since it all costs over $5k and I don’t trust anyone.

gyOkulE.jpg
    you are the future now

I can see the attached caption for this photo: "VR enthusiast and tech pioneer, moments before his tragic death after walking out into traffic."

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Well just got told I have less then a month left in my office. Like the physical office they gave me a little over a month ago. Then my department is all moving up here and my office is needed for one of the managers. Where am I going? Not to one of the normal desks up here, no no because even moving to a bigger area we are still 1 short. And their hiring 2 more people. So me? They requested I get moved in with another department (again) except, that department has no free desk space, so as of right now my boss is unsure where I will go, but they will be trying their damndest to figure it out in the next few weeks.

I like you, Bucketman, so I ask this in the nicest way possible: Is your resume up to date, buddy?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Always have a plan to kill everyone in the room to get a new job.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Nothing quite like coming into work and having a mountain of email, working your way through them and realizing that none of them mean you actually have to DO anything.

godmode wrote: »

I like you, Bucketman, so I ask this in the nicest way possible: Is your resume up to date, buddy?

Yes. And in fact I just had several rounds of interviews that I haven't heard back on yet.

Just keep a close eye on your stapler.

I don't think their going to like, fire or get rid of me. I do a think no one else here can do, and everyone likes me. I just think my boss had an idea for me, and that got changed by her boss and now she has no idea what to do with me and is just...moving me around hoping I fit somewhere

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't think their going to like, fire or get rid of me. I do a think no one else here can do, and everyone likes me. I just think my boss had an idea for me, and that got changed by her boss and now she has no idea what to do with me and is just...moving me around hoping I fit somewhere

From what you've said of your workplace,logic does not enter into this equation.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My PI changed the title of our paper two weeks ago to something I found confusing and redundant. I flagged it, but he stuck to his guns.
    Last night I received a paper revision which included the comment: "surely this title is confusing and redundant? I'm suggesting a change ...

... on the one hand I'm glad he's finally on the same page as me, but on the OTHER hand ...

surely this revision request is confusing and redundant.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You're being viewed as a tool, not a person. This is how my final year at my previous job went, being loaned out to other departments for undefined time periods randomly. I got away from it after interviewing like hell, hope your escape comes quickly

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Gameification is coming for your job next: https://logicmag.io/play/chasing-the-pink/
    When work took the form of a game, Burawoy observed, something interesting happened: workers’ primary source of conflict was no longer with the boss. Instead, tensions were dispersed laterally between workers (the scheduling man, the truckers, the inspectors), between operators and their machines, and between operators and their own physical limitations (their stamina, precision of movement, and focus).

The battle to beat the quota also transformed a monotonous, soul-crushing job into an exciting outlet for workers to exercise their creativity, speed, and skill. Workers attached notions of status and prestige to their output, and the game presented them with a series of choices throughout the day, affording them a sense of relative autonomy and control. It tapped into workers’ desire for self-determination and self-expression. Then, it directed that desire towards the production of surplus value.

As Marx remarked in his Grundrisse, “It is not the individuals who are set free by free competition; it is, rather, capital which is set free.”

With direct and personal experience with what Lyft is doing and how and why it works.

Orca on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Gamification of jobs is one of those things that terrifies me because it looks like a killswitch to the autonomy of human minds

Madican wrote: »

You're being viewed as a tool, not a person. This is how my final year at my previous job went, being loaned out to other departments for undefined time periods randomly. I got away from it after interviewing like hell, hope your escape comes quickly

Yeah this is more inline to what I think is happening. I was hired for a specific purpose, due to circumstances beyond my boss's control that never happened. She likes me and views me as a valuable asset...but she has no idea where I go now and keeps tossing me away and giving me side jobs and busy work and hope something sticks. Really I think if they make an actual Fraud department I'd go there, probably even as a higher up position, but the upper brass doesn't want to spend the money to have a new department even though it is direly needed

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Yeah this is more inline to what I think is happening. I was hired for a specific purpose, due to circumstances beyond my boss's control that never happened. She likes me and views me as a valuable asset...but she has no idea where I go now and keeps tossing me away and giving me side jobs and busy work and hope something sticks. Really I think if they make an actual Fraud department I'd go there, probably even as a higher up position, but the upper brass doesn't want to spend the money to have a new department even though it is direly needed

I've pinged my buddy at the company to ping the recruiter. Hopefully something comes soon.

PSN: jfrofl
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is more inline to what I think is happening. I was hired for a specific purpose,

And you're sure that purpose wasn't "let's gather some data on just how much we can fuck someone around before they can't take any more"?

The ticketing system I wish we used has a gamification system built in. On one hand, that's kinda cool. On the other, it means you are measuring things as a competition where not all work is equal, and... ugh. I want to turn it off immediately if I ever get traction on getting rid of the POS ticketing system we have now.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Whoops.

My laptop just unexpectedly rebooted and, of course, I reactively exclaimed “I will literally shit on someone if I lost all that work.”

Which was a little louder than I intended.

I think it’s the new office meme based on the discussion that commenced.

Maybe they’ll accept my follow up of “ah thank god I got all my work back, you’re all safe.”

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Gamification only works if you have really clear goal conditions and solid ways to measure. If you're doing all the work for that, you may as well just automate it as the things that gamification is good at (speeding up routine work) is also what neural nets are generally good at, so unless there's a real physical or social component, just spend the money on machine learning.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

I’m definitely a tool.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

slnvbqxzmc2r.jpg

BTW, the kerning in "nothin'" was bothering me, so I uploaded a small fix to it, just in case anyone already downloaded this for printing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The bill I wrote just passed

yay

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Gamification only works if you have really clear goal conditions and solid ways to measure. If you're doing all the work for that, you may as well just automate it as the things that gamification is good at (speeding up routine work) is also what neural nets are generally good at, so unless there's a real physical or social component, just spend the money on machine learning.

No, it is bad and harmful

It's making laborers compete with each other to see which one of them can enhance their boss's profits the most

It's disgusting

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

gyOkulE.jpg
    you are the future now

That is the most SnowCrash thing I've seen to date.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
This discussion has been closed.