As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2020 Democratic Primary

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Alright just over 15 minutes from this shit so important question time.

How to view this shit? Like multiple places. I don't suppose the "we're hip on Twitch" thing is continuing and it's gonna be streamed there officially?

Pod Save America guys were going to stream it but CNN's legal department was being shitty about it. So probably just official platforms.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    We're at a point where fundraising is how candidates decide whether to drop out. How well they poll and stuff doesn't really matter as long as they get on the stage at major debates.

This is the 2020 election. There's a long way to go and plenty of people have had a lead evaporate for no good reason. Howard Dean 'members. There's a lot of money changing hands, but it's the first round of many.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

How to view this shit? Like multiple places. I don't suppose the "we're hip on Twitch" thing is continuing and it's gonna be streamed there officially?

Pod Save America guys were going to stream it but CNN's legal department was being shitty about it. So probably just official platforms.
    Well I guess no candidate is gonna have a chance to change my mind about them because of accessibility to the election process!

... WOO Democracy!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I am hoping CNN is going to live broadcast it, but so far no sign on their youtube channel.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Bernie's twitch pregame show is talking up how much Bernie and Warren like each other (by way of personal anecdote), so yet more from those camps sounding the nonaggression note

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Bernie's twitch pregame show

God bless

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Well I guess no candidate is gonna have a chance to change my mind about them because of accessibility to the election process!

... WOO Democracy!

That's what we're for, obviously.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A Mario speedrunner is live commentating it. I like this guy, for the record.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Trihex! :)

According to this article, they are going to use CNNgo if you have a roku. Giving that a shot:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/30/politics/watch-democratic-debate-time-schedule-lineup/index.html

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    By the way CNN hired one of those movie trailer "THIS SUMMER" guys to introduce the debate and this is shameful as shit.

• Options
    We're going to waste five minutes with this introduction. Thanks, CNN!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This intro is terrible. I expect an explosion. Maybe a monster and not the one in the White House. Especially I would bet this is the friendly debate of the two.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Pod Save America guys are streaming their group chat like they did last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm7QmVvJDQ

• Options
    Okay yeah the only way to watch / listen to the debate is through paid services. We really have to get money out of the election process.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    As a non-American, I keep thinking that I'm used to how bombastic and over the top US political debates are, but jeez this intro is certainly ... something.

• Options
    My cable feed seems to think they're planning on doing this for three hours, so strap in, y'all.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Harris's student loan plan is pretty lolz, but student loan debt is like sixth in my list of the country's most pressing issues right now, so I'm not too upset by it. (Like, it's a serious problem, but there are a lot more serious ones.)

I rather like the health plan she just released, because I think it's a good balance of being a major change in the right direction, at least plausible enough as a starting point to not get laughed out of the kind of slim dem majority Senate we have a chance of getting in 2020, and will probably be popular with the public.

Recall that the public really digs M4A if they think it's "everyone has a chance to buy into Medicare". If it's "everyone has to have Medicare, and private insurance is basically banned", they are not fans. (Like, 70% favorability vs 35% favorability, from memory.)

Bernie's plan gets props for being honest about raising taxes on everyone, but let's be fair, nobody wants to hear that right now.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting the other Congressman Ryan and Delany are still in this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Oh we also have to do the national anthem. Because this process hasn't been bloated enough yet.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    10 year roll out for a new health care plan is suicide

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah. This is just more and more a sporting event, jeez.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Oh we also have to do the national anthem. Because this process hasn't been bloated enough yet.

Also the VFW marching. Jesus, what is this, the Cold War?

This is... a lot.

It is also not the most restrained anthem arrangement I’ve ever herd, just gonna say

MrMister on
  • Options
    10 year roll out for a new health care plan is suicide

Also it's just playing games with the CBO score to avoid that you're going to need new revenue to pay for it. Sanders and Warren are honest about this.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Bernie's twitch pregame show is talking up how much Bernie and Warren like each other (by way of personal anecdote), so yet more from those camps sounding the nonaggression note

Well, duh. This debate is set up to play "Let's You and Him Fight" to open the path for Biden and yeah, fuck that. A debate of all the frontrunners at the same time could easily bully Biden out of the race, which is why the MSM is avoiding it.

• Options
    10 minutes to a commercial break? Okay, CNN, you are making me miss Chuck Todd.

• Options
    "Now, please continue standing for the awkward silence until we direct you to the podiums".

• Options
    Alright, first commercial break before a candidate speaks. This is totally a college football game.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

I unabashedly love the National Anthem. We sang it all the time back in high school chorus. Getting to belt it out in the bass section was fun.

But yes, the less we can make our politics a godsdamned sporting event, the better.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    And here I was worried I would miss something

• Options
    Holy shit, 1 minute to respond?

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Oh man they're gonna yellow card candidates and dock them time. That seems like it's gonna lead to a shit show

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Why is Steve Bullock using an infomercial voice?

Edit - I already hate him just for that. His platform description sounds vague as hell.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Bullock is mad about the left wanting to do things.

• Options
    progressive with an emphasis on progress says bullock.

Wh-where else would the emphasis be?

• Options
    John Delaney right away: "DON'T VOTE FOR ME!" Holy shit he didn't waste any time going after progressivism.

• Options
    Oh moderates, you're going to be fucking annoying tonight aren't you. Delaney "I want to attack Warren and Sanders" RAWR. Then he flubbed his opening statement.

• Options
    Delaney with the interesting tactic of promising to not give people healthcare.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    warren and sanders up against these also-ran centrist clowns seems like it might work out okay

Elendil on
  • Options
    Maryanne continues rocking my socks and I love her to death.

(She’s terrible, of course, but I just want to listen to her speak in her hippie snake oil way forever)

• Options
    Oh moderates, you're going to be fucking annoying tonight aren't you. Delaney "I want to attack Warren and Sanders" RAWR. Then he flubbed his opening statement.

it's their last chance to annoy us on a national stage

This discussion has been closed.