As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Ok well it took 20 years or so but I just completed the Kanto pokédex for the first time

technically I've had every Kanto pokémon in my possession at some point, but not all together

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got the new pokemon dlc and I'm immediately intimidated because I forgot where I was in trying to make a decent team. Anyone have a recommended resource for a good starting competitive team to work towards? Or anything else I should be doing instead?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Don't need a good team to play through the DLC. I recommend just cruisin through the story and maybe you'll find some inspiration for mons you want to use

https://pikalytics.com/ is a good resource for comp. If you want a super standard meta team, just click on Togekiss and look at what its most common teammates are

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am a little sad the news about scaling in the DLC was incorrect. I was looking forward to training up a few baby mons there with all the low level babymons they give you. But I'm still having a great time with it so far.

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Don't need a good team to play through the DLC. I recommend just cruisin through the story and maybe you'll find some inspiration for mons you want to use

https://pikalytics.com/ is a good resource for comp. If you want a super standard meta team, just click on Togekiss and look at what its most common teammates are

Yeah I know it's not necessary but I like having something to work towards. And there's all those raids and crazy things too. That seems like a great resource, thanks!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm glad that the shiny Zeraora raid is difficult. I've run it a few times, is there a SpAtt variant, or is every Zeraora raid focused on Att? If it's all just regular Att based damage then anything with Reflect will make surviving much much easier. I've been using my comp Gastrodon for the fight and primarily just using Clear Smog to clear stat buffs and break barriers.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Russad wrote: »
    What’s the time investment to create another profile for the sole purpose of bee lining to the expansion to get a second kubfu for my living dex? I don’t care about getting both forms of urshifu.

Oh, that’s a good idea to solve my particular problem if I felt like it. Buying this is becoming more tempting.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm glad that the shiny Zeraora raid is difficult. I've run it a few times, is there a SpAtt variant, or is every Zeraora raid focused on Att? If it's all just regular Att based damage then anything with Reflect will make surviving much much easier. I've been using my comp Gastrodon for the fight and primarily just using Clear Smog to clear stat buffs and break barriers.

I've had it use Discharge. Don't know if it was just the one move or if it has variants like Mewtwo did

The most difficult part is getting people to join your raid. Even with Link trade search going in the background, I've yet to get a full four man. Usually 0-1 joiners when I'm the host.
    Raid joining has always been bad, but I feel like it's much worse than it was just before the DLC dropped. Seen others saying the same. Maybe people just aren't interested since you can't catch it? Or maybe their servers are just overloaded since the launch

I've had the most luck using a Mudsdale with the Stamina ability and Assault Vest

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Re: zeraora raids, I keep running into the shiny variant...it sucks ass and has made me avoid all zeraora raids

I’m hunting just for raids of IoA mons now I don’t even care about the story

• Options
    I'm actively searching out the shiny raid since it's the one I find most fun. But yeah, getting people to join is the hard part, and even if you get a full party chances are someone is gonna pick something super sub-optimal. One of the shiny raids I gotta into last night, someone brought a Gmax Lapras. We barely won, and it was only dumb luck that we did.

The moveset for the shiny variant, as far as I have seen, is:
    Outrage
    Close Combat
    Discharge
    Blaze Kick
    Plasma Fists
    Work Up

• Options
    How does one get a libero scorbunny? Been doing reading and it sounds like I want one but there's conflicting info. I can get it from a raid it sounds like?

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you toss a Pokemon from sword and shield up to Pokemon home it'll give you a hidden ability version of all 3 starters

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I also have 5iv Jolly breedjects if you want one. Haven’t worked on the other two yet

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    akjak wrote: »
    I also have 5iv Jolly breedjects if you want one. Haven’t worked on the other two yet

That'd be cool! Got a link code? I've got nothing of value to trade though. I'll try the home thing too. Thanks! Edit:actually no time right now, will try to arrange later. Thank you though!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i mean, the DLC scales just like the base game: according to your badges
    If you go into it as a champion, everything will be lvl 60

what's a good ground pokemon to fight the Zeraoras?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Is the Zeraora raid stuff just with the expansion?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Is the Zeraora raid stuff just with the expansion?

nope

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    i mean, the DLC scales just like the base game: according to your badges
    If you go into it as a champion, everything will be lvl 60

what's a good ground pokemon to fight the Zeraoras?

You want a ground Pokemon with good DEF who is not weak to Fighting/Dragon/Fire attacks. Gastrodon is a good one who can also clear Zeraora's stat buffs with Clear Smog and can use Recover if you take too many hits. Even though Rhyperior is weak to Fighting his DEF is so high that it shouldn't matter too much, same goes for Steelix (who also resists the Dragon attacks Zeraora will use). Mudsdale was mentioned earlier and he does very well here, especially with the Stamina ability. Palossand and Runerigus also do very well here.

Cruor on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have seen multiple people today lamenting the fact that they accidentally purchased the wrong version expansion pass.

I don't think they should do version exclusive passes next time purely because of this.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I have seen multiple people today lamenting the fact that they accidentally purchased the wrong version expansion pass.

I don't think they should do version exclusive passes next time purely because of this.

Yeah, I don't even get why it's a thing. Just have the DLC recognize what your base game is

fake edit: I just realized it's so they can sell two DLCs to the people who bought both games

• Options

Yeah, I don't even get why it's a thing. Just have the DLC recognize what your base game is

fake edit: I just realized it's so they can sell two DLCs to the people who bought both games

Ah shit man that’s crap

• Options
    That was my one complaint when they announced the DLC. And my sister has been thinking of getting into Pokemon, and I am just afraid of the headache trying to emphasize "DO NOT BUY THE EXPANSION FOR THE WRONG VERSION" could potentially result in.

• Options
    Iblis wrote: »
    That was my one complaint when they announced the DLC. And my sister has been thinking of getting into Pokemon, and I am just afraid of the headache trying to emphasize "DO NOT BUY THE EXPANSION FOR THE WRONG VERSION" could potentially result in.

If she buys the base game herself, you could be there and help her buy the correct DLC on the eShop, if you are siblings who hang out in person

Though I'm sure she can handle it herself. "If you buy Pokemon Shield version, you need to also buy the Shield expansion pass" isn't very complicated

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They should really enforce buying it through the game so you can’t get it wrong.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

Ah shit man that’s crap

this is kinda ridiculous to assume and a very serious accusation, and absurd to boot considering they're selling tens of millions of games.. remember, it's GF and nintendo, they're always terrible at this kind of thing by pure Boomer being shitty at tech energy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Is there any easier way to get Pokerus than just getting super lucky?

• Options
    Iblis wrote: »

If she buys the base game herself, you could be there and help her buy the correct DLC on the eShop, if you are siblings who hang out in person

Though I'm sure she can handle it herself. "If you buy Pokemon Shield version, you need to also buy the Shield expansion pass" isn't very complicated

She lives about two hours away. Don’t know if she would buy the DLC at first. So it would have to be me stressing that if she decides to buy it on a whim, to grab the correct version.

• Options

VGC tourny going on right now
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there any easier way to get Pokerus than just getting super lucky?

Someone can probably trade you, but if you only want it for EV training, it's simpler to just grind money and buy Vitamins

Say you want a simple set of for example 255 attack, 255 speed and 4 HP, you buy 26 Protein, 26 Carbos and 1 HP Up and feed them to the mon

This is quite pricey if you're training a full team, but you can get money easy by gathering Watts, buying Luxury Balls from the watt traders in the Wild Area, then vendoring the Luxury Balls at a shop

• Options
    If you have the Isle of Armor DLC, at a certain point you can use Watts to upgrade the Master Dojo. If you upgrade it enough, you'll get a vending machine that sells discounted Vitamins.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    My son caught an Eevee from one of those red beam places. He's trying to evolve it into Umbreon but it doesn't seem to be working. He's got friendship at max and I set the switch time to like 9pm to make it night, but the Eevee isn't evolving at level ups. Any clues?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    shadowane wrote: »
    My son caught an Eevee from one of those red beam places. He's trying to evolve it into Umbreon but it doesn't seem to be working. He's got friendship at max and I set the switch time to like 9pm to make it night, but the Eevee isn't evolving at level ups. Any clues?

If it's not evolving at all it would have to not be high enough on happiness? Or holding an everstone. Unless there's something funky about a gigantamax Eevee? (Didn't know it had a gigantamax form, but).

Also make sure it doesn't know a Fairy-type move of course to avoid Sylveon.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Has he beaten the game yet? If not, then time/weather in places is synced to plot triggers, not the clock.

E:
    Time is what it looks like in the world. If it looks like day, it's day. If it looks like night, it's night (unless it's evening or dawn). The Wild Area in particular won't go to the universal weather patterns until you beat the game.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

Gigantamax Eevee (is extra fluffy, has that big dyna-X when you look in summary) cannot evolve at all.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

Gigantamax Eevee (is extra fluffy, has that big dyna-X when you look in summary) cannot evolve at all.

There it is. Thanks! Guess we wasted some time.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i just launched into the new DLC and uh, it's actually kind of difficult to get back into this. I'm just like... out of pokemon mindset after so many months. This would be amazing to follow up immediately after the base game though. I think i just need to follow the story with absurdly overleveled mons and just pick up cool old favorites as i see them. I'm sure i'll "get back in" it's just a weird transition back into a game I'd "finished"

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    At least they're aware of the issue and doing something about it.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Ah shit man that’s crap

this is kinda ridiculous to assume and a very serious accusation, and absurd to boot considering they're selling tens of millions of games.. remember, it's GF and nintendo, they're always terrible at this kind of thing by pure Boomer being shitty at tech energy.

This is a good post regardless but this is the franchise that was built on selling 3 versions of the same game and then had the brain genius move of upping that to 4 a generation ago and now pivoted to a “paid DLC” model so of course it makes sense for them to have naturally concluded to have version-exclusive DLC instead of just 1 version that unlocks specific mons in whichever version of the base game you open to play

I fucking love Pokémon and think it’s worth giving GF/Nintendo the money anyway but it’s pretty clear why the DLC was set up this way

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I don't know where these last two Diglets in the Fields of Honor could possibly be (the zone isn't that big!) but if I ever track the bastards down I'm throwing them in the ocean.

• Options

Ah shit man that’s crap

This is a good post regardless but this is the franchise that was built on selling 3 versions of the same game and then had the brain genius move of upping that to 4 a generation ago and now pivoted to a “paid DLC” model so of course it makes sense for them to have naturally concluded to have version-exclusive DLC instead of just 1 version that unlocks specific mons in whichever version of the base game you open to play

I fucking love Pokémon and think it’s worth giving GF/Nintendo the money anyway but it’s pretty clear why the DLC was set up this way

there is a huge gap between making 3 versions and outright fraud.

Plus that ridiculous theory has been proven wrong anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/hcrdbc/nintendo_is_refunding_people_who_mistakenly/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Where are you getting fraud from?

I think you may have misunderstood my original post

I said "I just realized it's so they can sell two DLCs to the people who bought both games"

What I mean by that is that some people buy both versions. Both Sword and Shield. Gamefreak wants these people to also buy the DLC twice

I was not implying that they're hoping some people will buy the wrong DLC