As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me cook a steak....

arcatharcath Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wanting to cook a steak tonight for the wife after work. But I am wanting to try something new.

Not just the same old piece of meat on the stove type thing.

But a actual recipe, something memorable, new, invigorating.

So please, anyone got a recipe thats just really awesome? Or some way to make a steak thats out of the ordinary?

Please enlighten me.

camo_sig.png
arcath on

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You want a marinade?

This is what I throw together when I want a quick marinade

Some worstechire sauce, some balsamic vinegar (about 3:1 ratio but taste it as you mix together because you don't want too much vinegar) some soft brown sugar and some garlic.

Mix and dump steak in it.

Blake T on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stove?

My initial recommendation would be to grill. Everybody has a preference, but I really prefer Charcoal grills. The key is to find a good meat market. When you go in, ask the guy behind the counter for his recommendation for a nice cut. Generally the guy will give you a nice cut of meat for a decent price. Ask him for some recommendations on cooking (temperature/time) and if they have any seasonings they recommend. To me, a good tritip is a fairly obscure cut that can be split for two. Well seasoned and presented with some vegetables makes an awesome date for not a lot of prep work.

If you are looking for something more involved. I am a fan of beer battered ribs. The generally feed a larger crowd, but it is a great summer meal. If I knew what types of meat you were interested in and what you have tried, I could give you some better advice.

Älphämönkëy on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    no grill, but my cast iron skillet works great.

edit: just looking to surprise the wife with dinner tonight after work. nothing fancy, she is craving steak, so i was looking for something quick, out of the ordinary.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, I don't know if this is common steak knowledge or not... but I "fork" my steak, repeatedly, everywhere. This lets the marinade soak into the steak, and make it a bit more tender as well.

...just kidding, don't do this, it ruins a good slab of beef...

limester816 on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ps it's called worcestershire

Raneados on
  • LanthisLanthis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't stab a good steak. Only poor cuts should be tenderized in such a way.

This sounds pretty good:
    Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and Sauce Pinot Noir

Mushrooms are a good compliment to steak, because they can soak up all of the meaty flavor. I personally would avoid mixing onions with steak being the centerpiece, because it covers the flavor.

The way I like cooking my steaks most is to hand massage them with a bit of oil (sometimes canola... generally not olive), LOTS of pepper, and some salt. I prefer NY Strips. Anywho, I heat a stainless steel pan to medium heat and throw the oiled steak in, and if it smokes badly (which it generally does, but that helps the flavor), cover it with a lid. Flip after about 3 minutes, give it another 3, then let it rest on a plate for about 5. Serve with some chipotle tabasco sauce.

Don't forget to let it warm up to room temp after you massage in the oil or whatever you put on it.

Lanthis on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don’t forget to butterfly really thick steaks before you marinade them. Slicing them down the middle to thin the cuts allows you to keep the meat rare but still cooked evenly.

supabeast on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, I don't know if this is common steak knowledge or not... but I "fork" my steak, repeatedly, everywhere. This lets the marinade soak into the steak, and make it a bit more tender as well.

NEVER use a fork on a good steak. Even to pick it up or flip it over. Use tongs. Using a fork will let out the inner juices and turn a good cut of beef into a dessicated husk, or at least into something that has the texture of a cheap cut of beef.

Now, if you're starting with a poor cut, then forking it repeatedly might help, but never do this to good beef.

Daedalus on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Blue cheese on steak FTW.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • ImmolationImmolation Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Steak au Poivre, esp. if it's not Prime beef. Look it up on Epicurious or wherever...black peppercorns & cognac cream sauce.

Immolation on
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I Second the mushrooms. I like to lightly cook them seperatly, with some garlic, butter, and some steak sauce.

cook the steak for approx 5-7 mintues on each side, with some butter, or oil. That will create a "crust". Then put the sucker in the oven (350 degrees) for a few more minutes to fully cook it.

Brucelee41042 on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah the "stovetop and then oven" approach is similar to grilling and smoking a steak. I cooked bacon-wrapped tenderloins this weekend, about 3-4 minutes each side and then smoked them for about 10 minutes, and then brought the heat back up with a few extra charcoal lumps on the side so they'd be hot.

Amazingly tender and juicy. I wasn't going to marinade them since, well, you don't really have to marinade good cuts of beef. But I figured I might as well, so just used a little worchestershire, some stone ground mustard, and a little fancy balsamic vinegar. Marinaded it in the fridge for about 3 hours, flipping every hour or so, then let it come up to room temperature for another hour.

The room temp thing seems to be the key for a well-cooked steak. It seems like whenever I skip that step, the insides are much less done without any appreciable flavor difference. Letting the insides cook a little bit (similar to baking it after putting it on the griddle) gets the meat done more evenly without affecting the tenderness or flavor, at least not in a negative way in my experience.

I've found that the better the cut of meat, the less you need to marinade the meat. But also that the better the cut, the more likely that it's thicker, and therefore a marinade won't alter the flavor as much as, say, thinly sliced flank steak.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    aw man, now i want to grill me some steak.

Unknown User on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    arcath wrote: »

edit: just looking to surprise the wife with dinner tonight after work. nothing fancy, she is craving steak, so i was looking for something quick, out of the ordinary.

Cast iron works ok. Smear some butter on the steak, sprinkle on garlics salt then grill. yum!

LondonBridge on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Combine the following:

2 parts coarse black pepper
    2 parts kosher salt
    1 part paprika
    1 part garlic powder

Rub that into the steak before you cook it.

Doc on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    Cast iron works ok.
    Cast iron works far better than ok. Just make sure to a) get the pan as hot as you possibly can and b) do NOT cook the steak before they hit room temperature.

Make some garlic butter (cut the top off some garlic, pour on some olive oil, pop it in the stove for around 25-30 mins at 350, then squeeze that into a bowl and mix in butter) and coat the steak with it. Kosher Salt plus fresh ground pepper (if you're still using that little red and white metal box of pepper, you lose) and you'll have yourself one happy lady.

Raggaholic on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ended up getting off of work late last night, so I just made a super sandwich.

I plan on cooking the steak tonight. Thanks for the great advice.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png