As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some Anime!

VashinVashin Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
so i used to be a huge Anime fan but after awhile i guess i got burned out on it and stoped for a long time.
i live in South Korean and the play lots of anime here on TV but its all in Korean, but it looks pretty cool. so here i am asking what is the latest hot anime?

here are the series i currently own:
Trigun
Cowboy Beebop
Neon Genesis
Hellsing
Outlaw Star
Record of Lodoss War
Love Hina & Love Hina Again
Lain (i hated this anime, so nothing like this please)
Naruto
Roroni Kenshin
Bleach
Blue seed
FLCL

Movies i own:
Appleseed
ghost in the shell
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Samurai X trust & Betrayel
Ninja Scroll
Spirited Away

thats about it. so what the latest and greatest series and movies out now that i should definetly watch?

megadoomer311.png
Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
Vashin on

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Samurai Champloo.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You hated Lain? Well... it isn't for everyone, I guess. Avoid Texhnolyze then, because it makes Lain look normal.

If you like Princess Mononoke, you have to see Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind. Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart are also very good.
    (Whisper of the Heart being my favorite of the two, but it's a simple down-to-earth love story.)

As serieses go:

Kare Kano (romantic comedy)
    Weiss Kreuz (dramatic action)
    Bubblegum Crisis 2032(the original, not 2040; action/cyberpunk/mecha)
    NieA_7 (comedy by the makers of Lain, but it's different)

And if you can find it, Urusei Yatsura is still one of the craziest comedies ever made.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really liked Vandread and Vandread: Second Stage, but I'm not really an anime person.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You hated Lain? Well... it isn't for everyone, I guess. Avoid Texhnolyze then, because it makes Lain look normal.

If you like Princess Mononoke, you have to see Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind. Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart are also very good.
    (Whisper of the Heart being my favorite of the two, but it's a simple down-to-earth love story.)

As serieses go:

Kare Kano (romantic comedy)
    Weiss Kreuz (dramatic action)
    Bubblegum Crisis 2032(the original, not 2040; action/cyberpunk/mecha)
    NieA_7 (comedy by the makers of Lain, but it's different)

And if you can find it, Urusei Yatsura is still one of the craziest comedies ever made.

thanks alot, i forgot to mention that i prefer comedy over action, but if they are both mixed then im all over it.

on that note im definetly gonna try and give that Kare Kano a try, i loved Love Hina so i hope i get that same vibe from this

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kare Kano is a lot more serious, but when the comedy hits, it's hilarious.

Also, it was done by GAINAX(Evangelion people), and has a very unique style to it.

The ending is meh at best, unfortunately.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ghost In the Shell Stand Alone Complex is good.

As for movies, I'd have to recommend Jin Roh.

Meiz on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Yes, Ghost in the Shell is very good.

Also, Azumanga Daioh!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, I forgot about Excel Saga!

Meiz on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Samurai Champloo.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just started watching Death Note. It's decent.

Also, Midori Days.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you liked stuff like Ninja Scroll and Akira, check out Vampire Hunter D and The Professional:Golgo 13

JeffH on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I noticed you didn't mention "Perfect Blue", old but good is also "Mars Wars".

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    El Hazard (OVA)

the first few Slayers are pretty fun to watch

there was one with a tough as nails girl and some kind of talking motorcycle or something .... I have no clue what it was called but I couldn't stop watching it

edit: The above is called 'Kino's Journey'

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ZyrelaxZyrelax Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really liked Black Lagoon. I think they're starting to produce the English version this year.

Zyrelax on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chobits.

It's a fun, cute little show. Here's some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits

tardcore on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi.

Also things people said above.

Geod on
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hajime no ippo.... one of the best animes i have ever watched

beat on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Snap, I was going to start this thread... Same kind of thing. I like more of the action-types... For the love of god - I will never understand Anime romantic comedies... ever.

Samurai Champloo - again.
    Blood was ok, short though...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JeffH wrote: »
    If you liked stuff like Ninja Scroll and Akira, check out Vampire Hunter D and The Professional:Golgo 13
    There are actually two different Vampire Hunter D movies: there's the original, Vampire Hunter D, which is hella old (like, 1980s, I think), and then there's Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines, which just came out a few years ago. They're different, but they're both very good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you like comedy try Magical Shoping Arcade Abenobashi. About two child hood friends where one is going to move away after the summer is over and some magical hijinks ensue whisking them off to some magical land where they can always be together, or is it? Its pretty funny but has some serious moments, the end was dissapointing.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    DioltasDioltas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Code Geass FTW

Dioltas on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's a crime no one's mentioned Full Metal Alchemist. One of my favorite animes in a long time.

Also, amazingly, I found the English dub to be really, really good.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It's a crime no one's mentioned Full Metal Alchemist. One of my favorite animes in a long time.

Also, amazingly, I found the English dub to be really, really good.

this is probably the only anime that the english dub doesn't bother me.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah but FMLA isnt all comedy its kind of delves into the human condition and the ethics of war/genocide. There is some comedy but not very much and the OP seems to enjoy comedy more and its what he asked for. But yes it is a very good series and the English dub is very good.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) is one of my favorite things ever. I'm not too big on anime in general, but something about GTO really hooked me. It's about a 21 year-old martial artist / biker gang leader who decides that he wants to be a teacher. Part of this stems from his desire to help the youth of Japan overcome the obstacles he faced in school, although he's mostly just a lecherous creep with a uniform fixation. The principal assigns him to a problem class, and he employs a mix of ass-kicking, model rocketry, sleaze, real-life experience, blatantly illegal activity, and evil buggery to win them over.

I'll also second the Excel Saga suggestion. It' the Airplane! of anime. Lots of sight gags, puns, and horrific parodies of "serious" anime. The main character is happy and spunky (to the point of actually being intentionally annoying), and her "co-star" is a stereotypically pale, mysterious, soft-spoken anime girl that regularly vomits blood and dies (because that kind of girl always seems to die in anything anime-related.) It's bizarre, and seems to follow a stream of consciousness more than an actual plot, but it can be absolutely hilarious. One of the characters actually sleeps with the cosmos (like... the universe) in the first or second episode (haven't watched it in a while.) I actually injured myself laughing at the yaoi-themed one.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    wow guess there is alot of good ones out there.

thanks alot, probably gonna take me awhile before i can get my hands on some of these

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
  • Options
    Captain AwesomeftwCaptain Awesomeftw Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GTO is epicly hot shit.

If you like slower paced things, Anything by Makoto Shinkai is money. Voices of a Distant Star is my favorite OAV ever.

Excel saga is hot if you like absurdist humour (and who doesn't.)

Captain Awesomeftw on
    civilwarcherabim.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you like comedy, and can find it, get School Rumble. Easily the most consistantly funny comedy...ever.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Last Exile is really good, goddamn beautiful.

Unfortunately the ending sucks

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Battle Angel Alita and Dragon Half are also good.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Irresponsible Captain Tyle(o?)r is good on comedy.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just finished watching Eureka Seven and I can really recommend it. It reminded me of Evangelion, only way better. It's got a lot of the usual anime stereotypes such as the mysterious alien girl, boy who never met his father etc. But despite that it still manages to be awesome. The characters are all really well done and they go through a lot of development throughout the series, which I think is the mark of a good show. Also might want to check out the subbed version as the dub grated on me big time.

And another recommendation for samurai champloo.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bio-Boosted Armor Guyver is an excellent series, ultra violent but with a real story and ecellent artwork if you like monsters

Trinity Blood is cool, but it takes a while for it to get interesting (first two DVDs are... uninspired)

if you want an absolute mindfuck of a chosw get Genocyber

Tenchi Universe, and Tenchi Ryo-Oki are funny as all hell. they are basicly animie Scifi/Sitcoms and a great escape from drama.

My Favorate quote
    "Your Freaking out Dad!! What do you think you are going to do with that orange peel?"

"Its better then starving to death on this broken down spaceship in the middle of space!!!"

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eureka 7. Absolutely the best anime I've seen in a long time. That's my top recommendation. An amazingly well-rounded series that keeps surprising.

Last Exile is good but not terribly interesting for whatever reason (maybe the awkward CGI, slightly unengaging characters?) but I would have said the ending was the best part. Eureka 7 is an anime with a lame ending, much moreso than Last Exile, which I thought got damn exciting.

Stay away from Trinity Blood, because it's godawful. Most uninspired derivative crap I've ever had the misfortune to turn on the TV to when I was sick in bed. You can tell the dub isn't even bad so much as there's no way on earth that anyone could act the lines convincingly.

And FMA... is not for everyone. For example, I hated it because a) no, the english dub is not in any way good, unless not sucking as much as Escaflowne counts as good, b) it's all angst angst angst angst angst, whining, nothing happening, and more angst, c) and it seemed to think I in some way liked the characters before it had even done anything to make me like them. See: Armstrong. I'm like half-way through it, and every time I start to watch episode 20-whatever I just get bored out of my mind and stop ten minutes in.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Forgot to mention... I'm usually pretty neutral on the subject of English dubs vs. original Japanese, but GTO is a whole lot better with the original Japanese track running. The guy they got to voice Onizuka is hilarious, and his utterly manic, screamy voice matches the character way better than the wiseguy / slacker voice they picked for the English dub.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eureka 7. Absolutely the best anime I've seen in a long time. That's my top recommendation.

Last Exile is good but not terribly interesting for whatever reason (maybe the awkward CGI, slightly unengaging characters?) but I would have said the ending was the best part. Eureka 7 is an anime with a lame ending, much moreso than Last Exile, which I thought got damn exciting.

Stay away from Trinity Blood, because it's godawful. Most uninspired derivative crap I've ever had the misfortune to turn on the TV to when I was sick in bed. You can tell the dub isn't even bad so much as there's no way on earth that anyone could act the lines convincingly.

And FMA... is not for everyone. For example, I hated it because a) no, the english dub is not in any way good, unless not sucking as much as Escaflowne counts as good, b) it's all angst angst angst angst angst, whining, nothing happening, and more angst, c) and it seemed to think I in some way liked the characters before it had even done anything to make me like them. See: Armstrong. I'm like half-way through it, and every time I start to watch episode 20-whatever I just get bored out of my mind and stop ten minutes in.

I agree with pretty much everything here. I wanted to like Last Exile because it looked rather awesome but gave up after a while because none of the characters were particularly interesting. E7 rocks so hard up until the end that I was left feeling a little dumbstruck. They set the stage for something awesome to happen and it just kind of lets you down. I mean it was a good resolution but it was pretty predictable and cliched. Still definitely worth watching though.

I have mixed feelings about FMA. I'm trying to judge it based on the sub because the dub is really annoying. On one hand its got some great animation and a really original concept but the angst is just too much. I thought it was cool at first how they hinted about human transmutation and their bodies but then the show kind of beats you over the head with it. I'm reading through the manga now and enjoying the differences quite a bit although it's still not my favorite.

I'm going to put my manhood on the line here and say I enjoyed Haibane Renmei a lot. It's by the makers of Lain iirc, but it's nothing like it. I thought the story was interesting and original. The characters were good and the animation was excellent. It's not action oriented by any means but it's interesting all the same.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well looking over the list of what you have and what you said you prefer leads to me think that you tend to like action mixed with comedy, which is probably a bit easier to recommend than just straight comedy given that the latter tends to be subjective.

Unfortunately, I can't think of that much from the past few years that falls into that category, most action stuff I can think of has tended to be dark and angsty. The exceptions would be FMA and Samurai Champloo, though I don't know how much comedy the latter had after the first few episodes.

If you're willing to dig further back (and given the inclusion of Lodoss and a few other things, I think you are), you might want to track down the Martian Successor Nadesico series. It's a 90's mix of comedy and mecha, though some of the comedy doesn't translate well (one of the characters is constantly making puns which never translate properly, most of the comedy is more universal though).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    for a strait comedy anime, with a bit of surrealisim, I can reccomend nothing greater then Ah! My Goddess.

I love it, and at the same timeas I watch it my brain hurts

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    Sk1nnyManSk1nnyMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Full Metal Panic

Elfin Lied

Chobits

Love Hina

and perhaps the Ragnarok Online Anime

Those are all the animes I have seen and I can recommend all of them.

Sk1nnyMan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *smacks self*

Full Metal Panic: Fomoffu!

Can't believe I forgot about this. The first series and the The Second Raid are more action oriented series of debatable quality (some people love it, some people think it's uninspired, some people enjoy them as a guilty pleasure while recognizing that they're uninspired) but Fomoffu is comedy gold and can stand on its own. All you really have to know from the first series is that the guy that keeps blowing stuff up is really a mercenary that's been assigned to help protect the blue haired girl and every other student is just a normal student.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772