Options

It’s Open Season at the [Predator: Hunting Grounds]

ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever warRegistered User regular
edited April 2020 in Games and Technology
CVfQ9Q4.jpg
Predator: Hunting Grounds is the latest asymmetrical multiplayer game from Illfonic, developers of Friday the 13th. Released on PS4 and PC (Epic Game Store), Hunting Grounds offers a 4-player squad tasked with leading missions on currently one of three jungle maps against AI soldiers while being stalked by a player controlled Predator. Unlike Dead By Daylight, you can even kill the Predator and if you manage to either kill it before it activates it’s self destruct or disable it through a mini game, you can also then preserve the body and evac with it for extra bonuses. Gear and perks are locked behind level progression. There are loot boxes for cosmetics, though thankfully at launch no way to actually buy them with cash; they’re earnable with in game currency. There’s also currently crossplay which can be toggled on or off. The devs have said they’ll be adding more to the game post launch, and hopefully won’t run into the same licensing issues as they did with Friday the 13th. Personally, I want Danny Glover and a city level like Predator 2
HUNT OR BE HUNTED
Predator: Hunting Grounds is an immersive asymmetrical multiplayer* shooter set in the remote jungles of the world, where the Predator stalks the most challenging prey. Play as a member of an elite 4-person Fireteam and complete paramilitary operations before the Predator finds you. Or, play as the Predator to hunt the most worthy prey, choosing from your vast array of deadly alien tech to collect your trophies, one by one.
Enter the World of Predator:
Enter a world that looks and feels completely authentic to the lore of the Predator universe. The lush jungle comes alive with the sights and sounds of military bravado moving toward their objective. While up in the trees, a flash of light and an ominous clicking sound belay that the team is about to face deadly opposition. From the epic Predator theme song to the signature light-bending cloaking and thermal Predator vision, fans of the Predator-verse will revel in both familiar and new canon.
Human vs. Alien Weaponry:
As a Fireteam member, wield a state-of-the-art arsenal, from pistols to assault rifles, shotguns, grenades and heavy weapons. As the Predator, hunt with deadly alien tech including the shoulder-mounted Plasma Caster, Combistick, Smart Disc, Wrist Blades, and more.
Jungle Warfare:
Drop into several conflict zones in South America, treacherous, thick with ranging trees and sprawling undergrowth. Guerilla soldiers are well-camouflaged between guarding shanty hide-outs at the water’s edge. Whether a Fireteam moves as a unit or takes a strategic split approach to reach each objective, the rich setting offers a diverse environment to perfect your approach. For the Predator, the trees are perfect for using otherworldy skills, crawling up tree trunks and stealthing through branches to stalk prey with frightening speed.
Gameplay required to unlock some Fireteam and Predator weapons.
https://youtu.be/h2RLHChzXgs

Zavian on

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I totally forgot this game was happening. Has it released already? Anyone have any experience yet?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I totally forgot this game was happening. Has it released already? Anyone have any experience yet?

It released on Friday; I’ve been enjoying it; I won my first game by running away like a coward:
    https://youtu.be/aLHBt2223wU

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I think I have seen like two other pc players. Everyone else is on playstation and man they have 0 chill. Just constant move forward, get split, and die.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I think I have seen like two other pc players. Everyone else is on playstation and man they have 0 chill. Just constant move forward, get split, and die.

I’ve been getting a lot of Predator PC players and human PS4; I’ve been seeing more people cover themselves with mud at the start and maintaining it, it’s a bit obtuse (you have to find a mud patch, look down, then interact with it to cover yourself) so I could see a lot of new players not doing it

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

I’ve been getting a lot of Predator PC players and human PS4; I’ve been seeing more people cover themselves with mud at the start and maintaining it, it’s a bit obtuse (you have to find a mud patch, look down, then interact with it to cover yourself) so I could see a lot of new players not doing it

It isnt even that. It is like the BR mentality of drop immediately below the drop ship.

Like the chopper flies off and by the time I've got mud on one guy is 200m towards the objective and another is 100m east of him. Everyone is playing Rambo.

The start isnt so bad since you are perfectly safe from the pred but after the first minute, keep it tight guys.

• Options
    So, for people that played the beta, one of the big changes I noticed.

The pred doesn't glide near as far between attacks. I can usually only swing twice before i need to run after a human to close the gap.

• Options
    So APPARENTLY you can defuse a pred bomb

• Options
    So APPARENTLY you can defuse a pred bomb

Yeah there’s a mini game; I’ve just run like a coward though every time

• Options
    I knew literally nothing about it till I saw a post saying it was hard to locate. Fuckin I'll say

• Options
    So it seems Illfonic has the loadouts and stuff saved only locally? And it doesn't change for different accounts?

My wife played on the laptop last night after we got the game for her. Today she hopped on the computer on her account.

Her fireteam was set up like mine, including using my default custom class, with cosmetics, perks, and weapon unlocks her account doesn't have.

• Options
    They just put out a patch, they nerfed the knife so you can’t parry and shank the Predator as easily. Also lowered Veritanium from loot box duplicates. As for saving stuff locally, I’m not sure
    General
    Reduced amount of Veritanium received when obtaining a duplicate item from opening a field locker
    Made some improvements to AI pathing
    Reduced boar health and run speed
    Fixed some issues that were occurring with new item notifications
    Stability improvements regarding loading screens and various gameplay interactions
    Players will now be kicked from the match if they are inactive for over 2 minutes
    Field locker reveal will now wait until objects are fully loaded before appearing
    [PC] Friends list now only shows friends that are currently online on Predator: Hunting Grounds
    Maps/Missions
    General
    Reduced amount of Medical Stations and Ammo Crates in each map
    Reduced amount of AI spawned on missions and defense points
    Fixed an issue where the defense timer missions would sometimes display the incorrect countdown timer
    Reduced defense timer countdowns on several missions
    Fixed collision on some trees that were blocking bullets and projectiles in its leaves
    Increased Health of Destructible Branches
    Fixed an issue where map collectibles that were not being awarded correctly
    Fixed an issue where the collectible interact would get stuck on screen
    Fixed an issue where weapon lockers would prevent weapon switching if an empty weapon was replaced in the locker
    Fixed an issue where weapon crates were not showing the correct weapon on the weapon swap widget
    Fireteam
    General
    Increased amount of time to wait for reinforcements to spawn after radio has been activated
    Can no longer toggle sprinting while mid jump
    Increased stamina required to parry
    Parrying without enough stamina will now cause you to enter an exhausted state
    Jumping without enough stamina will now cause you to enter an exhausted state
    Large Veritanium pickups are now instantly added to your currency instead of taking up an inventory slot
    Fixed an issue where jumping did not cost any stamina
    Fixed an issue where the Fireteam fall damage was not calculating correctly
    Fixed an issue where Fireteam members were not able to move immediately after being downed
    Fixed an issue where certain XP events would not be calculated during Exfil
    Fixed an issue where Fireteam members would see their ammo as a negative amount
    Added line of sight requirement for downed Fireteam widget to appear
    Weapons
    2XL
    Reduced close range damage
    ABR-Z
    D34-D
    Removed impact grenade firing mode
    Reduced explosion timer on timed grenades
    RP-103
    Fixed an issue where the RP-103 would receive ammo too early in its reload animation
    7EN
    Reduced firing rate
    Gear
    Reduced the amount of Medical Kits and Ammo Bags you can carry to 2 (down from 3)
    Increased gear weight cost of Medical Kits and Ammo Bags
    Reduced Grenade inner damage radius
    Increased Grenade damage falloff speed
    Fixed an issue where Medical Kits and Ammo Bags would sometimes stick to objects when thrown
    Predator
    General
    Increased Predator damage resistance to knives
    Reduced the amount of damage that the Predator receives from taking headshot damage
    Leap Slam now causes nearby Fireteam members to experience a blinding effect
    Second Wind now causes nearby Fireteam members to experience a blinding effect
    Increased health gained from feasting on boars
    Boars will now show up during Target Isolation
    Made changes to the visuals of target isolation markers
    Fixed an issue where some of the Predator weapon reticles were incorrect
    Classes
    Hunter/Jungle Hunter ‘87
    Fixed an issue where the Jungle Hunter ‘87 class did not have the same stats as the Hunter class
    Increased damage resistance to all Fireteam firearms other than the shotgun
    Scout
    Increased damage resistance to all Fireteam firearms other than the shotgun
    Increased Gear weight limit
    Weapons
    Combistick
    Reduced melee swing damage
    Reduced melee swing speed
    Net Gun
    Increased firing rate
    Net Gun net can no longer be shot out of the air
    Plasma Caster
    Increased damage to uncharged plasma caster shots
    Reduced damage at maximum charge to prevent downing a full health Fireteam member
    Smart Disc
    Fixed an issue that caused the Smart Disc UI to stay on screen if the Predator is damaged while controlling the Smart Disc
    Yautja Bow
    Increased velocity of arrows
    Added ability to hold bow at full charge for an extra 10 seconds before auto release
    Audio
    Fixed flare sounds not triggering when placing flare during exfil
    Matchmaking/Parties
    Fixed an issue where other player pings would appear higher than they should
    Fixed mission planning screen not waiting for the last person to completely finish loading the level before starting the timer
    Removed the P2P Fallback for players after a long period of time when dedicated servers are available, prevents Predator players from creating P2P lobbies that no one can find
    Fixed an issue where matchmaking would reset your position to the end of the line after waiting
    Fixed an issue so that the Predator queue estimates will be more accurate

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i've been watching streams since too many games came out right now that i want to play. i really wanted to get into evolve back in the day but it boiled down to seemingly "unfun" play patterns. most of the streams i;ve seen i think are in custom games, but can you just simply queue as predator? i assume the queue would be awful

it's just...why would you ever want to be a human if you can be the predator?

• Options
    i've been watching streams since too many games came out right now that i want to play. i really wanted to get into evolve back in the day but it boiled down to seemingly "unfun" play patterns. most of the streams i;ve seen i think are in custom games, but can you just simply queue as predator? i assume the queue would be awful

it's just...why would you ever want to be a human if you can be the predator?

I enjoy fireteam more than Predator, and it helps to level up as fireteam to unlock stuff for Predator.

And yes you can queue as either Predator, fireteam or random.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    oh the unlocks are spread on both sides? i guess now that i think about it, i assumed pred stuff was locked behind playing as the predator

• Options
    oh the unlocks are spread on both sides? i guess now that i think about it, i assumed pred stuff was locked behind playing as the predator
    Yeah unlocks are shared, so you don’t have to only play as Predator to unlock stuff for Predator as you level up

• Options
    Unlocking equipment, classes, and perks, are based on a universal account level

Unlocking weapon attachments are based on that specific weapon's level.

And honestly I have a lot of fun as the fireteam. Mainly cause it is fairly easy to take down the current preds. How much of that is balance versus unfamiliarity remains to be seen.

• Options
    The pred feels real dangerous after these changes

• Options
    Aww shit I got the revolver trophy drop

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I am continuously tempted to buy this due to my love of Predator-related things. And thermal vision. But then most of what I'm hearing is "meh". Although I don't know if the patch changed much of that.

• Options
    I mean, it is not super in depth, which is where a lot of the meh is coming from.

That and people wanting the pred to be singleplayer game levels of OP and being salty it isn't.

At 40 it is not bad at all.

• Options
    I've bought it and it's decent but has some obvious rough spots. Fireteam is actually decently fun, but nobody virtually no one who actually talks. Plus the fireteam audio all sounds like it's being heard by the predator. It has that weird echo-y reverb effect, which is weird and out of place.

Most annoying so far is that clicking occasionally doesn't shoot/throw and I need to do it 2-3x. But I can't figure out what actually triggers that behavior.

Also disappointed I missed out on '87 predator. But I've also just done 'no preference and have never been a predator yet anyway.

• Options
    I've bought it and it's decent but has some obvious rough spots. Fireteam is actually decently fun, but nobody virtually no one who actually talks. Plus the fireteam audio all sounds like it's being heard by the predator. It has that weird echo-y reverb effect, which is weird and out of place.

Most annoying so far is that clicking occasionally doesn't shoot/throw and I need to do it 2-3x. But I can't figure out what actually triggers that behavior.

Also disappointed I missed out on '87 predator. But I've also just done 'no preference and have never been a predator yet anyway.

You mean with the Pred?

Mounting and dismounting trees will fuck with your selected weapon/equipment, so that might be it.

• Options
    No; it'd be as the fireteam. I'd right click to aim and then it wouldn't shoot. Or sometimes hip fire wouldn't shoot. Or I'd swap to a grenade and it wouldn't throw. I have to left-click a few times to get it to actually work again.

There is also a bug where you can crouch as the predator and then do something that freezes you like that and then stay crouched until you press C again. Which I wish were the normal setup. I don't know why they don't have a toggle crouch

• Options
    edited May 2020
    New paid DLC has been announced, one pack releasing each month. This month we get Dutch from the original movie, which thankfully Arnold even recorded lines for! There will also be audio logs similar to the OWLF tapes already in the game, but will be voiced by Schwarzenegger himself. The pack also includes a new rifle and knife, which will be released for free later in June. No word on pricing yet or what the other three DLC will be
    1vx08jy8e6v8.jpeg

Zavian on
  • Options
    Dutch DLC released. And of course, on my first game, I spammed GET TO THE CHOPPAH until the Predator decapitated me
    https://youtu.be/QeEzIFBxfKI

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    As it should be

• Options
    Dutch '87 was released recently, completing the first roadmap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siqu0JFobcM
    50264672108_8600138050_b.jpg
    Crossplay was also recently added with patch 2.0 along with a bunch of additional stuff alongside bug fixes:
    Implemented PlayGo to allow playing of the tutorial while downloading the rest of the game
    Perks and Gear that cannot be equipped due to weight/point limits are now greyed out
    Added the option to report a player during the After Action Report
    Added tips and tricks to loading screens

[NEW] Last Man Standing
    Now, the last Fireteam player will enter a Last Man Standing state, which will buff the player’s stats and give them more of a fighting chance. This will last as long as they are the last standing player. While affected by Last Man Standing, the last Fireteam player will also have increased body heat visibility to the Predator player.

There's also a new map and mode coming as part of a free September update