As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XP - Leftover profile folder and permissions

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I had to reinstall XP (home), and made the mistake of not formatting the partition. Now I have the profile folder for my account on the old install, and the one for the current install.

The first thing I did was grab a nice little program from Microsoft's KB that turns on the security tab for XP home in folder property dialogs. I changed the owner of the folder to myself so I could delete the files. I made sure to tick the box that makes child folders/files inherit the parent folder's permissions. It seemed to go ok (no errors), but it's only changing the parent folder. I can access the parent folder just fine, but any files or subfolders still give a "Permission Denied" error.

I would like to avoid having to boot in to Linux and mount the drive with RW to delete it (I'm still wary of the supposedly stable new NTFS drivers), so any help would be great. :)

MKR on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Change the owner (as you have done), kill inheritance coming down to that folder, ensure that the creator/owner permissions are set to full, and then force them down to all sub-objects.

Usually the bit that can cause issues is leaving out step 2 if it is necessary.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Change the owner (as you have done), kill inheritance coming down to that folder, ensure that the creator/owner permissions are set to full, and then force them down to all sub-objects.

Usually the bit that can cause issues is leaving out step 2 if it is necessary.

Yeah, I noted that I did that, and it didn't do as expected. :P

It only works one folder down. I can do whatever I want in the parent and one child folder down (e.g: I can read Parent\blah.txt and parent\child\blah.txt), but any lower and I still can't do anything.

I can move any of the folders, but beyond that nothing works.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry, there wasn't anything in your OP to say you killed off all inheritance coming down, only that you pushed it down to the child objects.

I'd check the permissions on the child objects if you can, to see if it gives you anymore information. Failing that, manually setting ownership would seem to be the only way to go. You should be able to select all the folders and set their permissions at once if they are actually sharing the same permission set... or I could be making things up on a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Sorry, there wasn't anything in your OP to say you killed off all inheritance coming down, only that you pushed it down to the child objects.

I'd check the permissions on the child objects if you can, to see if it gives you anymore information. Failing that, manually setting ownership would seem to be the only way to go. You should be able to select all the folders and set their permissions at once if they are actually sharing the same permission set... or I could be making things up on a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

That's not the only way to go. :P

It's letting me manually go in and change permissions (and add an owner when there isn't one), but if I did it for all the folders my arm would fall off. In Linux I would just run a single command to set permissions in a series of subfolders and files. Is there some equivalent in Windows? It would be really helpful.

If nothing else, I'll just boot in to Linux and delete the files that way, but it's something I would like to avoid.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's to my shame that I can't think of one off the top of my head. I'm pretty certain something like that exists, but I've never run into your particular problem in the time I've been doing Windows systems administration professionally, so I've never needed it.

Quick google search brought up some interesting results.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I should probably have written down what I was doing, because I did something, and now I can access everything. :)

Thanks for the help.

Edit: or not...

:(

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bummer. Have a shot at some of those command line utilities from the google search then. =)

devoir on