As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

1103104105106107109»

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I think I only ever bought either 5 or 10 during an early event and then never again after not getting a single event skin.

I had to leave the house to get another $50 PSN card after the first fifty boxes bore bupkis.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    OW1 loot boxes were intended to be predatory, but they made a mistake - they didn't account for what would happen a few years down the line when players had built up a mountain of credits from getting nothing but duplicates in the boxes. The result was a monetization strategy that became less and less successful over time. It was only a matter of time before they corrected it. IMO battle passes are less predatory than loot boxes were in those early years.

I don’t think the FOMO of $20 skins in the shop is any better though

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The skin price is more funny to me than enraging

I could buy a whole entire game for the price of one skin, and definitely get more enjoyment out of the game

• Options
    The skin price is more funny to me than enraging

I could buy a whole entire game for the price of one skin, and definitely get more enjoyment out of the game

Yupp. I see a skin for $15-$20 and I'm like "I could buy a digital copy of Renfield for this. Nicholas Holt. Nick Cage as Dracula, man. Awkwafina. I could get Hollow Knight for this much money."

Add that consideration to the "how much enthusiasm do you have for supporting this developer and their (very clearly communicated) priorities?" Fucking zero.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    And people are always saying other games have even more expensive skins as if that's supposed to make it better. I was willing to pay $15 for pink Mercy because it was for a good cause. No skin in any game should be more than $10 otherwise, in my opinion.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's obviously true that a lot more people will buy the skins for $5 than $20, but I'm sure most major publishers have done their own research and determined that it's not 4x as many people. The whales are paying more than enough to make up for the loss of ordinary customers. In 2016 loot boxes were the way you cashed in on that, battle passes are just the new version of it.

I think capitalism sucks, I wish we had a different system of incentives altogether. But I do prefer things being sold for a defined price rather than through gambling. The gravy train of OW1's late years was never going to last because they never actually intended it to be that way.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I remember someone showed me the science behind it which is actually more devious than you would think.

They know most people won't pay 15-20 for a skin. They aren't expecting them to.

However they know down the line when they "sale" the skin at 50-60% off people will be more likely to buy it causes its a steal.

So they get the whales upfront and regular folks later down the line.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Is holding high ground not an obvious strategy? I have been running into players who insist on holding low ground, and freak out when I suggest that we hold the high ground because it’s superior positioning.

And by freak out, I mean literally screaming, swearing, and calling me slurs.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    High ground strat does not exist in console play because people are too stupid to aim up (and down) and track consistently. Junkrat is probably the lone exception due to his projectile.

• Options
    The most obvious, constant and consistent strategy of a great deal of Overwatch players is unfortunately limited to screaming, swearing and slurs. They lack the faculties to imagine another.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've never seen another tank take the left side stairs to highground on Hollywood first point. It's always push straight up the road.

It's probably not bad either to push right side through the camera room, head up the hallway, behind the door, and take that highground either.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Overwatch players don't think about conventional shooter tactics, because you've got a tank going right down the middle and healers putting out insane HPS. As a tank, I don't do long roundabout routes, because if I do my team never follows me. Everybody is conditioned to do head on team fights.

• Options
    Over the years I've naturally ended up doing it, but my thought process is never "this high ground cover is superior and grants me a tactical advantage," it's just "I'm gonna' pounce on someone who doesn't see me coming."

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Yilias wrote: »
    I've never seen another tank take the left side stairs to highground on Hollywood first point. It's always push straight up the road.

It's probably not bad either to push right side through the camera room, head up the hallway, behind the door, and take that highground either.

In a coordinated team with a practiced strategy, taking the long way around could provide an advantage.

In a pub match, it usually ends up taking too long, the composition gets disjointed, and by the time you're in a position to actually do something, your team has burned all of its cooldowns or just gotten picked. When you don't know your teammates, going in straight and fast is almost always the winning play. If you actually want to take high ground, you're much better off taking a mobility hero that can get there directly.

Now if you're defending and have time to choose where to set up and all that, yeah you should be going high ground almost exclusively whenever it's an option.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    summer stuff has started...beach volleyball?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    New thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/247727/overwatch-2-invasion-coming-august-10th#latest

Took me forever to notice since I pretty much only check my bookmarks