As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed that most of them die early, and it's just Jay Courtney and Robbie left.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    For sure Poka Dot Man, the one who seems most expendable, will not only survive but be vital to the outcome.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    the sea killed him, Greg
    Yeah like, I hate that logic

To me it's so much worse than like, killing someone in the heat of battle (as Aquaman also did)

Denying mercy or refusing to save someone that is in your power to save is deeply fucked up

Batman Begins did the same thing and it's one of the many reasons I don't like the Nolan movies

Aquaman spoilers:
    It's been since it was in theatres since I've seen it, but I have vague recollection of Aquaman starting to think that he had fucked up and showing regret about it by the end of the second act. And then that feeding into him not killing OCEAN MASTER!

Has my brain just filled in what I wanted to happen?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DKiYaLgUEAMXmzm.jpg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The number of twitter comments unironically thinking that was an EPIC TAKEDOWN is actually genuinely distressing.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The number of twitter comments unironically thinking that was an EPIC TAKEDOWN is actually genuinely distressing.

Perfect description of the Snyder fanbase, really

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, that officially confirms that the trailer was legit, and that he did set it to "Hallelujah," and that's fucking hysterical.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Scott Mendelson vs Zack Snyder is right up there with Epic vs Apple: I don't care what happens to anyone involved and can only hope that they nuke each other into orbit somehow.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh, is it time for this quote again?
    Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is too many characters

d8d9wjg9l8h3.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    the sea killed him, Greg

To me it's so much worse than like, killing someone in the heat of battle (as Aquaman also did)

Denying mercy or refusing to save someone that is in your power to save is deeply fucked up

Batman Begins did the same thing and it's one of the many reasons I don't like the Nolan movies

Aquaman spoilers:
    It's been since it was in theatres since I've seen it, but I have vague recollection of Aquaman starting to think that he had fucked up and showing regret about it by the end of the second act. And then that feeding into him not killing OCEAN MASTER!

I think this is implicit, yes.

Which is something, but like, introducing your main heroic character by having him comically kill or maim a bunch of bad guys and then kill their leader in cold blood is still one hell of a choice.

Especially since I don't feel like they haeve really anything in the movie to convince you to like Aquaman - it seemed entirely based around people thinking that Momoa is hot and/or charming, and as someone who considers him neither... I just didn't see a reason why we were following his arc and not Black Manta's, y'know?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Is it to early to start lobbying for best actor for King Shark

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

It's a pretty good self takedown, but I'm sure that's not what the twitter comments mean

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I didn't even like that song before it became the soundtrack to the least watchable sex scene in history

I mean, as a fan of Leonard Cohen, I disagree, but I understand it being prominently featured in Shrek might have ruined it a little

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I didn't even like that song before it became the soundtrack to the least watchable sex scene in history

I mean, as a fan of Leonard Cohen, I disagree, but I understand it being prominently featured in Shrek might have ruined it a little

ruined?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the version in Shrek is good

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hot take Shrek is poop from a butt don't @ me

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    soundtrack slaps though

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Rufus Wainwright’s cover is flatly superior to Cohen’s to my ear.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    hot take Shrek is poop from a butt don't @ me

Shrek is dreck

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The Broadway version of Shrek is somehow both better and worse than the movie

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

shrek version was by rufus wainright and also better than the cohen version

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Shrek: DONKEY

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    At this point there's no way the diehard Snyder fans treat this as anything but a masterpiece, which, whatever, but Snyder "owning" a critic about how it's for adults is super lame.

Also Hallelujah is one of my least favourite songs, as someone who liked it when I was younger.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    At this point there's no way the diehard Snyder fans treat this as anything but a masterpiece, which, whatever, but Snyder "owning" a critic about how it's for adults is super lame.

Also Hallelujah is one of my least favourite songs, as someone who liked it when I was younger.

I actually don't know what's more embarrassing: Snyder's "IT'S FOR GROWN UPS" or the insane chorus from his stan squad.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I suppose this is my biennial reminder that my cousin's entire wedding party swing-danced down the aisle in the fieldstone amphitheater of a weird rural penal colony for children to the Smash Mouth cover of I'm A Believer while the entire extended family watched from pews made out of straw bales.

There was a good bit where I wandered off by myself to sit on a rock and watch a highly energetic thunderstorm over Amarillo for a couple of hours, but mostly it was a very good reason for me to never be on Facebook.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    oh, is it time for this quote again?
    Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

I wish this had come from damn near anyone else

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I suppose this is my biennial reminder that my cousin's entire wedding party swing-danced down the aisle in the fieldstone amphitheater of a weird rural penal colony for children to the Smash Mouth cover of I'm A Believer while the entire extended family watched from pews made out of straw bales.

I attended a wedding where all of the groomsmen and one other guy did a dance performance to Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap for everyone at the festivity.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular

Jedoc, wake up

@Jedoc, you fell asleep outside

The wedding is about to start

AND I SAW HER FACE

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Earlier today I watched Scanners for the first time.

-- The lead actor was incredibly wooden.

-- The effects, both practical & special, were tremendous.

-- That movie was X-Men as all hell.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

I actually don't know what's more embarrassing: Snyder's "IT'S FOR GROWN UPS" or the insane chorus from his stan squad.

I kinda wish I'd seen the video before it got taken down because a cursory look at the replies to that critic were about how amazing The Cut looks and I have my doubts.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Interesting note, check out the likes count on all the "Go get 'em Zack!" type posts. They're surprisingly nothing. Not even the people echoing the same sentiments are liking each other's posts. It's really pretty sad.
    the sea killed him, Greg

Aquaman spoilers:

I think this is implicit, yes.

Which is something, but like, introducing your main heroic character by having him comically kill or maim a bunch of bad guys and then kill their leader in cold blood is still one hell of a choice.

Especially since I don't feel like they haeve really anything in the movie to convince you to like Aquaman - it seemed entirely based around people thinking that Momoa is hot and/or charming, and as someone who considers him neither... I just didn't see a reason why we were following his arc and not Black Manta's, y'know?

Aquaman plot stuff
    I feel like you're leaving out a ton of context? Black Manta's group are murderous sea pirates who shoot a man who surrendered at point blank range to make a point just moments before Aquaman arrived. Then Black Manta's dad digs his own grave by firing an explosive weapon in a submarine at point blank range to try to kill Aquaman. It's not that surprising to me that Aquaman says, "Wow, the murderer who just tried to kill me two seconds ago just set himself up to be killed. That's uh... entirely preventable in about twenty ways." Specifically, it's not horrifying to me because Aquaman doesn't consider himself a superhero or a king at this point in the story. He's a powered individual who helps out when he feels he has to. Once Aquaman decides he has to take up those roles, he rethinks the moment on the sub and is like "Well... yeah I could have taken him to jail and not created a blood feud. Even from a practical perspective, that would have been better."

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't even look at my own epenis let alone other people's.

• Options
    I don't know if it has been posted in here yet, but here is the official trailer for Zack Snyder's Justice League.

WARNING: FOR ADULTS ONLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6512XKKNkU

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Earlier today I watched Scanners for the first time.

-- The lead actor was incredibly wooden.

-- The effects, both practical & special, were tremendous.

-- That movie was X-Men as all hell.

Seriously. My wife and I watched Scanners together like 15 years ago and we still joke about his line deliveries. It's a fun movie but he is just a black hole of charisma.

I told her that you watched it for the first time and she started laughing and said, "What...have you done with her...doctor?"

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I don't know if it has been posted in here yet, but here is the official trailer for Zack Snyder's Justice League.

People keep saying they are posting the Snyder trailer but keep accidentally posting 1994 Justice League FMV's?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    We're super sure this isn't a joke? I have zero stake in any of this, the only DC movie I've seen in the last ten years was Wonder Woman, which I liked. This isn't a real teaser, though, right?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

I watched Justice League once and didn't like it much. I have absolutely no idea what was new in that trailer and what wasn't.

The only things I really remember from JL are the Russian family and Superman and Flash rescuing people, and the fight with Superman when he first returns. Neither of those are in the trailer, so you could tell me that everything in it was previously unseen and I would be like, "ok, sure." Or you could tell me that absolutely nothing in that trailer was previously seen and I'd react the same. I don't know, I hope it's enjoyable for those who are looking forward to it. That trailer did absolutely nothing for me though, and while I find this mildly fascinating in a modern film history kind of way I can't see myself watching this without some amazing word of mouth from folks who are not fanboys.

• Options
    Like, this really seems like the kind of fan trailer a really mean hacker would come up with. Right? It's not the actual thing?

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.