As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Chat]icle for Leibowitz

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m gonna do some shoutin on he mountain while I’m drinking mountain shoutin cuz shoutin mountain is the best place to be

I’m commander Shepard

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh my god.

So. I tried to launch Burnout Paradise: Remastered.

It's like: Install Origin! And I go okay... it's been a decade of putting it off, what the hell.

So I get my account recovered and plug into that.

Then it is all "unblock the firewall!" and I do that.

The game then crashes.

And crashes again.

Turns out? I need to tell my laptop to specifically use the onboard GPU to make it actually use it! By default it uses the integrated intel graphics in the tablet half.

So I get that sorted out, and...

Hoooo mama.

I... guys.

I might actually, possibly, maybe have a computer capable of playing modern games! What is this devilry!

I've wanted to play Doom 2016 for so fucking long, and as much as I appreciate my Switch I didn't want to have to compromise....

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I’ll chat YOUR thread with politics

Luhmow

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. There is this weird integrated graphics/hardware accelerated graphics thing that goes on with laptops.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh my god.

It's like: Install Origin! And I go okay... it's been a decade of putting it off, what the hell.

The game then crashes.

And crashes again.

Turns out? I need to tell my laptop to specifically use the onboard GPU to make it actually use it! By default it uses the integrated intel graphics in the tablet half.

Hoooo mama.

I... guys.

I might actually, possibly, maybe have a computer capable of playing modern games! What is this devilry!

I've wanted to play Doom 2016 for so fucking long, and as much as I appreciate my Switch I didn't want to have to compromise....

if you get GoG galaxy you don't need to deal with the actual origin / uplay / epic / steam interfaces and can see all your stuff in one UI.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh my god.

The game then crashes.

And crashes again.

Hoooo mama.

I... guys.

if you get GoG galaxy you don't need to deal with the actual origin / uplay / epic / steam interfaces and can see all your stuff in one UI.

That sounds amazing... I hate already having so many overlays.

Also tried out Rogue Legacy 2. It's... a little choppy, but I'm gonna chalk that up to being an early access game, hopefully.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    the depression is really bad today

overall been improving a lot over the last couple months. back in december I was at an extreme low point and found a therapist for the first time ever to go along with medication. that has been really good, especially since lockdown. been having more decent days than bad lately (this is Major Depression not bipolar so a not-bad day isn't manic or "happy" but rather calm and clear thinking). but today is just a really deep bad one.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Near as I can tell about 29 people die every day (so a bit over 10k / year) due to drunk driving in the US. Substantially more seriously injured or disabled. That puts it within a few hundred of the total number of gun homicides (total gun deaths being a bit over 15K once you include accidents).

So yeah imagine for a moment how Chat gets riled up about gun homicides in the US. That is exactly how riled up we should be about drunk driving.

Another perspective on this is: people really overstate the magnitude of guns as a public health problem

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Near as I can tell about 29 people die every day (so a bit over 10k / year) due to drunk driving in the US. Substantially more seriously injured or disabled. That puts it within a few hundred of the total number of gun homicides (total gun deaths being a bit over 15K once you include accidents).

So yeah imagine for a moment how Chat gets riled up about gun homicides in the US. That is exactly how riled up we should be about drunk driving.

Another perspective on this is: people really overstate the magnitude of guns as a public health problem

Yes that would be a .... consistent take.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Guns are upsetting, imo, because they’re gratuitous: there’s an easy fix, so any number of deaths it too many

But yeah, I think people do overestimate gun violence, the same way they overestimate all sorts of other flashy risks like terrorism and plane crashes. Even demos at high risk of gun violence like black men are still more likely to die of stuff like diabetes. Which would be a big surprise if you just followed the news and assumed every risk was proportionate to how much it got talked about.

Drunk driving is harder to fix than guns because prohibition doesn’t work and DUI exists wherever there are alcohol and cars

• Options
    The new Bill and Ted will be out on 8/28.

Something to look forward to. I wonder how much it will be on demand. I guess it will be on Prime.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Guns are upsetting, imo, because they’re gratuitous: there’s an easy fix, so any number of deaths it too many

But yeah, I think people do overestimate gun violence, the same way they overestimate all sorts of other flashy risks like terrorism and plane crashes. Even demos at high risk of gun violence like black men are still more likely to die of stuff like diabetes. Which would be a big surprise if you just followed the news and assumed every risk was proportionate to how much it got talked about.

Drunk driving is harder to fix than guns because prohibition doesn’t work and DUI exists wherever there are alcohol and cars

I thought it was not very hard to fix? Something about australia achieved a massive reduction?

I've heard things like having breathalyzers that don't report anywhere built into cars, calculating a %BAC estimate at the bottom of receipts, and providing free or cheap alternatives for someone to use if they're too drunk to drive.

I vaguely thought it was like prison reform where we're more focused on shaming perpetrators than preventing the crime

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Wow. It is kind of expensive to watch Bill and Ted on demand. I am seeing $19.99 at Fandango Now. That is only for 48 hours though.

It looks like you can buy it on Prime. I am not seeing a limit on viewing. Still, that is $25. I thought they would be cheaper.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I just did a little reading and it seems like one of the best ways to reduce drunk driving is to have random breath testing. Critically you need to have a high percentage of negative results for good deterrence, which can be counterintuitive for cops might by default be trying to catch someone

sig.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    good lookin' out, broar :+1:

Listen is there any anything my shitty brain is good for it’s remembering which memes my friends love

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    The problem with comparing things strictly by the numbers is that there are factors that are not so easily quantifiable.

Terrorism is a problem not because of the number of deaths, but because of the atmosphere it creates.

I think gun violence has a similar effect. Yes, more people die of diabetes, but that is (ostensibly) something within your control, or at least something you can work to manage. Mass shootings are more oppressive because of intangibles like how it feels to send your kids to school, or walk around in public when there's a serial sniper on the loose.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. It is kind of expensive to watch Bill and Ted on demand. I am seeing $19.99 at Fandango Now. That is only for 48 hours though.

It looks like you can buy it on Prime. I am not seeing a limit on viewing. Still, that is $25. I thought they would be cheaper.

The price is probably higher because they figure friends or family will watch it together.

Maybe they should have a form you can fill out, like “Under penalty of perjury, I swear that I am a reclusive insect who will watch this movie by myself”.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    A DUI is a symptom so making stricter laws on it won’t solve the problem

Neco on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I think the GM is wishing we were a bit less murder hobo about this game, because there are plot points we are missing.

• Options
    I fuckin OWN u

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think the GM is wishing we were a bit less murder hobo about this game, because there are plot points we are missing.

The GM needs to be reminded of the golden rule of tabletop RPGs: "whatever you give XP for is what is going to happen". You can substitute "things the players (not characters) want" for XP but usually it's XP.

Are they actively rewarding not being a murderhobo?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Address me cowards!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    An unparalleled underwater survival story!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Address me cowards!
    no

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The GM needs to be reminded of the golden rule of tabletop RPGs: "whatever you give XP for is what is going to happen". You can substitute "things the players (not characters) want" for XP but usually it's XP.

Are they actively rewarding not being a murderhobo?

It’s progression based not exp based. We have just decided as a group that the fastest way down the mines of plandelver is to kill everything. Not even asking questions.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    A DUI is a symptom so making stricter laws on it won’t solve the problem

A symptom of being extremely cool

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    Address me cowards!
    no

mfwangery

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Chat’s quiet tonight

Why isn’t neco posting

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

The price is probably higher because they figure friends or family will watch it together.

Maybe they should have a form you can fill out, like “Under penalty of perjury, I swear that I am a reclusive insect who will watch this movie by myself”.

I complained about it in the YouTube comments of Orion Pictures. I will see if I get a response.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wait, how the fuck are US drink-driving related deaths so high

We get like... 200 fatalities a year from drunk drivers in the UK, and we have massively narrower roads, a far higher population density and a considerably worse drinking problem

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Burnage wrote: »

We get like... 200 fatalities a year from drunk drivers in the UK, and we have massively narrower roads, a far higher population density and a considerably worse drinking problem

Everyone drinks and everyone drives
    Especially me
    I get 4 DUIs every morning just for waking up!

Neco on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

We have a lot more miles of road and a lot more drivers and zero culture of using public transit outside of one or two of the biggest cities.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Chat’s quiet tonight

Why isn’t neco posting

I dunno

I think she’s a fairy and disappears/dies when people stop believing in her

• Options
    I have 0 followers on Twitter. I once had this skanky girl that I think was a bot following me.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Probably slower. Also you're tiny and have a lot more public transport.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    If Neco doesnt give me a take on the ending of DMC5 soon I will dethrone Nero and install V as #1 crybaby

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    this license feels like it should be on most social media
    https://github.com/cdanis/sandia-public-license

This discussion has been closed.