As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    okay

I'm pretty broke but my job just started up again (I work at a county park on Public Event Staff. Covid has NOT been kind to us).

Do I want to buy a joystick for my PC only* ass

* I do part time graphic design so I have to have a halfway decent PC and having that means that consoles are utterly out of the question; I cannot spend $800+ on building my own PC and then howeverthefuck much on a console

what would be the current affordable... jesus fuck I haven't played a flight sim since the 90s.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Logitech Pro 3D is just a stick with a small throttle on the base. I think it's like 30 bucks?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, that'd be my recommendation if you want something affordable and decent. After that your next best bet is scouring ebay for used but good options like the Thrustmaster FCS. From there you're looking at the $100+ entry level tier new stuff if you can't find anything Used.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    relevant*

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7AfjMNFKXFc

*probably not relevant

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I bought a Thrustmaster on a lark just because I had a gift card and was looking for something to spend it on months before Squadrons was even announced and now I feel like a god damned wizard.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Did MS Flight Simulator and Squadrons trigger a run on joysticks? I don't see anything inexpensive in stock at Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop or Dell.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Did MS Flight Simulator and Squadrons trigger a run on joysticks? I don't see anything inexpensive in stock at Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop or Dell.

Yes, plus COVID and quarantine and supply disruption.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yes, plus COVID and quarantine and supply disruption.

Eeh. I was going to say that the Thrustmaster T16000M was pretty cheap when I got it in 2016, but it looks like the budget recommendation right now is a gamepad, or eBay.

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    You nerds actually going to play this for more than a week? I've been looking for some multiplayer shenanigans.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Yes, I've been unable to find an MSRP HOTAS since early August.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    You nerds actually going to play this for more than a week? I've been looking for some multiplayer shenanigans.

I'm going to literally live in this game. So yes.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »

I'm going to literally live in this game. So yes.

Yea ill likely be the same, ill be rocking the VR in my Index with a nice HOTASS setup, and I shipped my Vive out to my brother so ill be playing in VR with him and we both loved the shit out of the old Xwing /Tie fighter games

Not sure how much ill actually be doing online PVP, but online Co-op will be my jam.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Less than a week until release!

Right now, I feel like I could take on the whole empire by myself.

I hope all rebel scum reveal themselves this easy. . .

Wars over, imp.

Crap I did it again.

No reason to worry, there. The Imps lost. Which is a feat, given they had literally everything for advantages, but well, they're Imps, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is kind of their thing!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Playseat Airforce chair is setup with Thrustmaster 16000T bolted to it. I've got my CV1 for VR, but might use the 65" C8 TV, depending on how clear it is in VR.

I just couldn't book friday off which sucks...damn my boss for being on PTO this week already!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Playseat Airforce chair is setup with Thrustmaster 16000T bolted to it. I've got my CV1 for VR, but might use the 65" C8 TV, depending on how clear it is in VR.

I just couldn't book friday off which sucks...damn my boss for being on PTO this week already!

I had an older office chair with clamps to set up my HOTAS on for Elite, but I don't have that chair anymore and my family mocked me when I was using it :D That and I couldn't leave it set up due to space and it took 20 mins to get it all set up/tear down.

I can put the HOTAS on the desk but it sits high and causes some pain after awhile, but I shall struggle on gamely.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I think I am going to buy this game. PA Discord for games?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Yep. There's a text room, a voice room for Imps, and a voice room for Rebels.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I just looked up who MOTIVE studios is and they did BFII which explains the aggressive marketing of a self-contained experience.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I've been training my entire life for this.

"You're too low. Pull up!"

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    http://www.squadrons.tools/builder

A squadrons load out builder based on data from the tests. May not be 100% accurate on release but still gives you a good idea of what's comin'.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

I had an older office chair with clamps to set up my HOTAS on for Elite, but I don't have that chair anymore and my family mocked me when I was using it :D That and I couldn't leave it set up due to space and it took 20 mins to get it all set up/tear down.

I can put the HOTAS on the desk but it sits high and causes some pain after awhile, but I shall struggle on gamely.

Yeah I had the opposite, cause the thrustmaster hotas pieces don't have a high base. When I mounted to the chair, they were too low. I just cut some blocks of wood and added it between the mounting brackets and hotas pieces. Seemed to work well.

I'll def be in the PA Discord looking for games. I'm pretty terrible with the HOTAS compared to mouse flying which I know is all kinds of blasphemous but I'm excited.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Can we preload this sucker on Steam, cuz that’s where I’d like it to live

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Just checked the minimum requirements and my i5-6500 might not cut it? Bummer. We'll see how it goes.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Can we preload this sucker on Steam, cuz that’s where I’d like it to live

Preload starts at midnight eastern tonight

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

I've been dreaming of this game for like a decade. I'm not gonna be able to play online till I get back from work on the 11th but you can bet I'll be playing like a madman once I can.

Assuming HOTAS support is good, that is. Imma be super bummed if this ends up not supporting my stuff.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Uuuuugh, you guys! I'm trying NOT to buy new games. Why you gotta make it so haaaaaard!!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Uuuuugh, you guys! I'm trying NOT to buy new games. Why you gotta make it so haaaaaard!!

Ehh just sign up for EA Play and get it for only $15!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The game itself is only $40. And if you aren't opposed to the Epic Games Launcher, you can actually get it for $30 through this deal where if you just download Rocket League (for free) there, they give you $10 to spend on any purchase.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The game itself is only $40. And if you aren't opposed to the Epic Games Launcher, you can actually get it for $30 through this deal where if you just download Rocket League (for free) there, they give you $10 to spend on any purchase.

Those are all more than $15!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Those are all more than $15!

And Syphon said that accounting degree was wasted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Xbox controller worked totally fine in beta - my uhh friend preferred it to their Logitech 3d Joystick but it might be because my friend doesn't remember what the heck the buttons on the Logitech joystick are labeled or mapped to.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just bought this. HOTAS and VR ready! Going to be weird from my slow play in Elite to this.

e: The other (not) good thing is I was diagnosed with Covid19 so I'm off with a week left and so far no symptoms. Good timing for some all day gaming.
    Even better timing was me not visiting my older parents last week.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited October 2020
      People have started getting their hands on the game:

Here's a video of the guy playing the intro mission on PSVR. I can't stop smiling because at one point he says its like Christmas and I totally feel that (edit) that one got made private, here's another one:
      Someone else on Reddit has said the campaign is absolutely excellent so far and is very challenging on top of having 4 difficulty levels.

ObiFett on
    • Options
      TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
      I'm glad controller play seems fine for this, because while it is totally a good excuse to get a HOTAS I don't want to wait until I can get one.

• Options
      PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Just bought this. HOTAS and VR ready! Going to be weird from my slow play in Elite to this.

e: The other (not) good thing is I was diagnosed with Covid19 so I'm off with a week left and so far no symptoms. Good timing for some all day gaming.

Well I still hope you feel better Tim! Nothing makes me feel better than playing online video games...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • Options
    • Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      Aaand I pre-ordered. It's too much to pass up considering I already have a T16000 M and an Index -- can't let that go to waste! I am kind of disappointed they didn't come up with a solution to give TIEs actually functional cockpits, because that makes a huge difference with headtracking or VR, but it's not enough of a dealbreaker for me to bail out. Slightly compounded by the reports that the TIEs are better than rebel ships from their stats in beta (because I definitely prefer the rebel ships with cockpits designed to be functional instead of look pretty on TV), but if that winds up being true it's easy enough for them to tweak.

Despite that, I'm pretty excited!

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Damn, hope you don't get the symptoms from it! At least you've gone a week without symptoms so that's one down.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Yea I'm lucky! I'm a teacher too so hopefully didn't spread to the kids.

My steam name is Archpriest if any want to play. I run the Elite discord server if we just want to make it general space ship server for all of us.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

This won't apply on pre-purchases.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
        Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos