As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agenda of the 117th [Congress]

1919293949597»

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Sinema used to belive in raising the minimum wage

Tweet is from 2014

And still does. Just not this one.

can you elaborate on this, because it doesn't make any sense to me. what does "this one" mean, there's only one federal minimum wage
    https://www.sinema.senate.gov/sinema-statement-minimum-wage-amendment
    “I understand what it is like to face tough choices while working to meet your family's most basic needs. I also know the difference better wages can make, which is why I helped lead Arizona's effort to pass an indexed minimum wage in 2006, and strongly supported the voter-approved state minimum wage increase in 2016. No person who works full time should live in poverty. Senators in both parties have shown support for raising the federal minimum wage and the Senate should hold an open debate and amendment process on raising the minimum wage, separate from the COVID-focused reconciliation bill. I will keep working with colleagues in both parties to ensure Americans can access good-paying jobs, quality education, and skills training to build more economically secure lives for themselves and their families.”

There's only one federal minimum wage, but the level it should be set at and the process it should be set at are different questions. Personally? Kind of a BS excuse. But it's her reasoning.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Tweet is from 2014

can you elaborate on this, because it doesn't make any sense to me. what does "this one" mean, there's only one federal minimum wage
    “I understand what it is like to face tough choices while working to meet your family's most basic needs. I also know the difference better wages can make, which is why I helped lead Arizona's effort to pass an indexed minimum wage in 2006, and strongly supported the voter-approved state minimum wage increase in 2016. No person who works full time should live in poverty. Senators in both parties have shown support for raising the federal minimum wage and the Senate should hold an open debate and amendment process on raising the minimum wage, separate from the COVID-focused reconciliation bill. I will keep working with colleagues in both parties to ensure Americans can access good-paying jobs, quality education, and skills training to build more economically secure lives for themselves and their families.”

There's only one federal minimum wage, but the level it should be set at and the process it should be set at are different questions. Personally? Kind of a BS excuse. But it's her reasoning.

Its post hoc nonsense.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I believe both Sinema and Manchin are both on record in favor of being in favor of a minimum wage that will still ensure that many people won't be able to afford simple neccessities despite working full-time jobs. I'm not sure about the other 6 Democratic dissenters.

Javen on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Apparently while all of this is going on the Republicans in Kentucky are voting on legislation to change the rules for how the State picks a replacement for the Senator if it comes up. Shockingly it puts the decision in the hands of the party who the Senator belonged to instead of the Governor. And they have a veto-proof majority. So McConnell's replacement would probably be a Republican, and is probably going to be his own top pick for the position, if it happens.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Tweet is from 2014

She has stated her support for raising the minimum wage ~52% to $11/hr

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Tweet is from 2014

To how much though?

Cause Manchin has previously said he wants $11/hr. Hassan above is saying $12 for sure. Most of these people don't seem to object to all minimum wage increases, they just think $15 is too high for this or that reason. Often stupid ones.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Apparently while all of this is going on the Republicans in Kentucky are voting on legislation to change the rules for how the State picks a replacement for the Senator if it comes up. Shockingly it puts the decision in the hands of the party who the Senator belonged to instead of the Governor. And they have a veto-proof majority. So McConnell's replacement would probably be a Republican, and is probably going to be his own top pick for the position, if it happens.

Just have Ludergran-Grimes say she's a republican now, it's true enough

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

Tweet is from 2014

so it sounds to me like you're saying she thinks $15 an hour is too high for federal minimum wage?

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Just have Ludergran-Grimes say she's a republican now, it's true enough

"If the bill becomes law, the appointment to fill a vacancy will be selected from a list of three names submitted by the state executive committee of the same political party as the senator who held the vacant seat."

So the Governor would have to pick between three people the Republican Party nominates for the position, and chances are they'll just pick the top three from McConnell's list.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I believe both Sinema and Manchin are both on record in favor of being in favor of a minimum wage that will still ensure that many people won't be able to afford simple neccessities despite working full-time jobs. I'm not sure about the other 6 Democratic dissenters.

I would not be shocked if a few others voted no on purely procedural grounds. "This is not the way things are supposed to be done in the Senate" think a lot of Senators who are worthless idiots.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    She's a conservative who votes like shit, I see no reason to believe she wants any increase to the federal minimum wage here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    She's a conservative who votes like shit, I see no reason to believe she wants any increase to the federal minimum wage here.

Based on what?

You literally just posted evidence suggesting the opposite.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    "we should raise the minimum wage, but to a number I pulled out of my ass instead of the number that everyone wants" is not a position which should be interpreted as "in favor of raising the minimum wage", because it completely fails to engage with the argument behind the policy

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Based on what?

You literally just posted evidence suggesting the opposite.

She used to be pretty liberal. Anti war protester etc. Once she started getting near to some real power she took a right wing turn. And wound uo pulling shit like voting with Trump more often than not.

Power corrupts, its just rare to see it so blatant and unnecessarily.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    "we should raise the minimum wage, but to a number I pulled out of my ass instead of the number that everyone wants" is not a position which should be interpreted as "in favor of raising the minimum wage", because it completely fails to engage with the argument behind the policy

"We should raise the minimum wage but I think $15 is too high, how about $11 (or some other number) instead?" is a perfectly coherent position. It's what other Senators have already said too.

I really don't think this stuff is that hard to fathom, even if you disagree with it.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    "I support X but not this X" is like the most rote of rote politician lies.

"We should raise the minimum wage but I think $15 is too high, how about $11 (or some other number) instead?" is a perfectly coherent position. It's what other Senators have already said too.

I really don't think this stuff is that hard to fathom, even if you disagree with it.

Coherency is not credibility

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, looking into the two instances of Sinema supporting the minimum wage, in 2006 and 2016, it's looking like the only times that she's taken an affirmative position on the minimum wage, is when she didn't really have any actual say in its outcome. So it's most likely that she's never really been in favor of raising the minimum wage, but jumped on the coattails of popular policy to score easy points. It happens a lot!

Now that she can actually prevent it, she's doing so, while citing the figure as excessive to avoid being painted as a hypocrite.

EDIT: This goes to Manchin too. I strongly suspect that if an $11 amendment were proposed, they would both find a different rationalization for why they would not support it.

Javen on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it's incoherent. I believe they mean it, and I understand what they mean. that's not what coherence is.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah, looking into the two instances of Sinema supporting the minimum wage, in 2006 and 2016, it's looking like the only times that she's taken an affirmative position on the minimum wage, is when she didn't really have any actual say in its outcome. So it's most likely that she's never really been in favor of raising the minimum wage, but jumped on the coattails of popular policy to score easy points. It happens a lot!

Now that she can actually prevent it, she's doing so, while citing the figure as excessive to avoid being painted as a hypocrite.

EDIT: This goes to Manchin too. I strongly suspect that if an $11 amendment were proposed, they would both find a different rationalization for why they would not support it.

Never fucking mind that the two of them could get together and co sponsor an amendment at a number/scale/mechanism they would support if they actually gave a fuck.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Tweet is from 2014

She has stated her support for raising the minimum wage ~52% to $11/hr

If you can get them on board to lock that to cost of living increases it would at least be a starting point and then you could press for more later.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This thread needs a break.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.