As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just fucking bummed. I got into Giant Bomb in 2016 when I was feeling more disconnected with my friends and family, with the Persona 4 ER. I then in mid 2017 starting actually looking at their content and subscribing when Abby and Ben joined, and rode with them. It felt sad through the last half year when they left. But I still had Vinny, Alex, Jeff, and Brad. The old staples. The foundation.

And that’s gone and I’m just sad. I’m subscribed until June of 2022 so it’s not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon if they are still there, but I’m just melancholic at the moment.

el_viciotinwhiskers
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Eh, just not too thrilled with spending time writing up a heartfelt post, then adding onto it in a second, and then having the only response be a reasonable but unexpected "nah you're wrong" rebuttle. Seriously didn't expect that when I'm still sitting here teary eyed. I seriously don't want to argue with anyone about something that to me feels like a friend telling me they're moving away and I'll never hear from them again. And while I understand that's maybe not a healthy way to feel, healthcare isn't free and whatever. Feel however you want, that's cool. I'm just sad. And that's cool too. I doubt anyone is ruined by this, so overall it's not the worst situation. But it sure does feel bad. I guess that's how you know you're not satisfied at least.

Sorry Man, I've changed jobs a fair bit in my life, so I guess I'm coming at this from a very different point of view. I didn't mean to be shitty. I'll remove my post, it was unnecessary.

No worries. It's the natural way discourse typically works around here, I'm the one being touchy about this in an unexpected way and I didn't verbalize that. You weren't being shitty.

No I don't.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This has always been my favorite.
    https://youtu.be/HfHvn6-tytQ

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Diarmuid
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Been fun to go through this Twitter thread of giant bomb moments but this one is still great.

The fuckin’ victory lap.

AthenorLuvTheMonkeyBahamutZEROmiscellaneousinsanityUbikwebguy20MorivethKnight_AistanRhesus PositiveSnicketysnickDiarmuidnever dieMx. QuillStiltsAshcroftBucketmanPeenOmnomnomPancakeTankHammerTonkkaHappy Little MachineDee KaeErin The Red
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    oh man when jeff and vinny clear this motorbike course on a mountain of their own corpses because there are land mines on a motorbike course. "motorbike's real stupid, you should buy it if you like dumb shit."

Jars on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Viiiinnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyy

:sad:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    webguy20Rhesus PositiveDiarmuidnever dieel_vicioBucketmanTonkkaErin The Red
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    GB has been around for me for a really long time. They got me through lots of transitions in life and gave me something I could depend on week over week. This has certainly been coming for a while but it doesn’t make it any less crushing.

Also, I have really fallen off of all gaming in the past few years but this feels like it might put the nail in the coffin. I rarely consume any other gaming journalism specific media so I don’t really know what I would even pivot to now.

Just a real bummer feeling all around.

Nothing. Matters.
    HybridOmnomnomPancake
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, I've been a giant bomb fan since end of 2009 and for a long time they were the biggest source of my entertainment and a consistent thing in my life. They helped me through some lows, I started having panic attacks a few months before Dan came on with gb and that helped me figure out what I was going through. I fell off a little last year, just because I fell off most things last year when everything slowed down and I finally let my subscription lapse late last year after being a subscriber since that first big live live show. I always meant to come back, I may have to now if only to go back and download a bunch of my favourite old videos. Anyway this is all to say giant bomb was a weirdly big part of a big part of my life and it's sad to think of not hearing the original gang together again like in those old days and I hope they get to move onto some great things.

Hybrid on
    Aphostile
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I have never been a GB subscriber. I like the GB E3 content a bunch, though. But one thing that's really helped me a lot the past year is Alex's We Be Truckin' and We Be Drummin' streams.

Just generally speaking, GB has just felt like this institution, almost this "too big to fail" thing that has been going on this decade plus. While nothing lasts forever and things will change, even the most extremely casual fan of GB, like me, can feel like something is lost here.

tinwhiskersmxmarks
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I felt optimistic when they got bought by Red Ventures, hoping they'd get a place that was a better fit for them than CBS. It became clear pretty quick with Abby's departure that the transition was not going to be a happy one.

rhylithBucketmantinwhiskers
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    This is super shades of when the Super Best Friends broke up all over again to me (I never got into Giant Bomb myself, but I definitely get it). Hope whatever comes next is good times for everybody involved though.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Dark Raven XJohnny Chopsocky
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I was confused why people were talking about GB ending yesterday, but I'm now listening to the Bombcast and it certainly feels like an end.

It can comeback and will come back but it'll be different for sure.

It also struck me how much these voices have been part of my life for over a decade. I listened to them since the start, and they been with me every week through various jobs and life changes and up and downs.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I actually was totally fine with GB closing but I just thought about the time they were playing shenmue and the game made them wait 3 in game days for something so Vinny pulled out an acoustic guitar and they had a frozen sing along and NOW I'm upset

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    SimBenwebguy20OmnomnomPancakenever dieadmanbCrippl3TonkkaHadesWheatBun01darunia106PwnanObrienRhesus PositiveDee KaeErin The Red
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    This is super shades of when the Super Best Friends broke up all over again to me (I never got into Giant Bomb myself, but I definitely get it). Hope whatever comes next is good times for everybody involved though.

It’s the curse of kingdom hearts

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    NaphtaliSCREECH OF THE FARGCrippl3miscellaneousinsanityReynolds
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I've only ever seen sbf in little clips. What happened with them?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bucketman wrote: »

I've only ever seen sbf in little clips. What happened with them?

they're no longer friends and didn't want to fake it is the long and short of it. they're all doing their own things (matt with youtube content, woolie and pat doing their own twitch streaming/youtube reuploads of streams; woolie and pat do a weekly podcast together still)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    I miss the goofs like Vinny deciding to put an entire shock game down his pants for zero reason

But I think they'd also grown well past those big goofs so

Man

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Found this on Facebook

0ca8f8i5tr1e.png

sig.gif
    webguy20AthenorDoodmannBeef AvengerSproutCelloAistanSpeed RacerHybridSCREECH OF THE FARGjaziekEtheaKyouguMorivethDiarmuidnever dieCormacWeedLordVegetasponoKnight_OdinadmanbErlecUndead ScottsmanGrey GhostSnicketysnickTonkkaUbikHadesBucketmanNiryadarunia106PwnanObrienDysvegeta_666Rhesus PositiveDee KaeErin The Red
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Spoiled for big, but hit a lot of memories in one succinct piece of fanart
    3a6wr2j2thti.gif

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    never dieCormacSCREECH OF THE FARGEtheaSimBenGrey GhostSnicketysnickUndead ScottsmanPeenBucketmanShadowfirePaperLuigi44darunia106akajaybaySaraLunaPwnanObrienmiscellaneousinsanityRhesus PositiveDee KaeErin The Red
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I believe that Vinny didn't know at first, but at some point he definitely knew what the fuck he was doing.

never dieKnight_DiarmuidCrippl3webguy20BucketmanPaperLuigi44darunia106Reynolds
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    vinny knew like ten guesses, I respect keeping kayfabe this long

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I always thought kayfabe would be pronounced kay-fah-bay but I guess it's just kayfabe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Munkus BeaverMosati
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    it's khey-fey-bey

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fire... Boyolt

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My son is also named fire boylt

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    SimBen wrote: »

Haha, thanks, it was a real nice surprise to see someone post my stuff - evangelion one aside, can't take credit for that.

I actually just posted about this in the G&T thread (by mistake, I meant to post it here) but I've got to crosspost it now:

Just as I was finishing up the goodbye podcast and beginning to tear up, I realised how much of a tangible impact Giant Bomb has had on my everyday life.

I remember being introduced to the Adobe suite by a friend, and when I sat down to give it a go, the first thing that popped into my head was recreating TV intros with the Giant Bomb guys. They had so much suitable downloadable video that I could easily grab from memory. I made Giant Bomb Nine Nine, and thanks to this place as well as their community spotlight and the active Twitter fandom, I got such a positive response that I just kept doing it, and realised how much I loved video editing and motion graphics.

Fast forward to now and I'm a professional motion graphics designer. I have a stable well-paying job that I love, which will get me on the property ladder within the next couple of years. Weird as it is to think about, I doubt I'd have ever had that creative spark that set me on this career path if it weren't for Giant Bomb.

Somestickguy on
    never dieSimBenSnicketysnickDiarmuidSproutPeenagoajAthenorBahamutZEROCrippl3CelloTonkkaDer Waffle MousBucketmanShadowfireakajaybaySanderJKmiscellaneousinsanityRhesus PositiveDee Kaemxmarks
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    If Vinny says he wasn't doing a bit then I choose to believe him, because that's the world I want to live in.

AphostileBucketmanRhesus Positive
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I've slowly tapered my listening over the last few years, as I just don't play as many games as I used to, and PSA and some of The Ringer stuff has eaten up more of my commute time(and frankly Ben and Jason on the main cast never really did much for me)

Who knows if E3 is still a thing, but losing the GB E3 coverage will really suck.

The late night stuff was great, with the early segments being informative interviews with some pretty important industry people. And the back half being just crazy bits that would carry on throughout the year(s). The Dave Lang, Adam Boyes, and John Vignocchi spots were absolute insanity considering the positions they held/hold.

I always enjoyed the site most when they had a group of people playing off each other(the press conferences, UPF with guests, E3, GOTY etc). For me personally, That year or so period where they had Dan on the west coast and Austin on the East was when the summation of the pods was at its peak.

Also for as much as diversity was an issue (and with more than half the staff being founders that is a bit hard to fix), The site as a whole I think did a good job over the years being not shitty, in an industry clearly choked full of shitty people. And being about as inclusive in who they booked as the industry they are covering allowed.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    el_vicio
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I never really felt I had the time to listen to the full bombcasts/beastcasts, because I didn't want to be spoiled on games I might play. But anytime I needed to take a trip longer than an hour, they were instantly queued up. I absolutely adored all their perspectives and how they riffed off each other.

I'm not crying or as upset as many in this thread, which is fine for all involved. but it does suck that my favorite "Truth to power" site is changing so drastically. And I really feel bad for Jeff, who keeps seeming to have to constantly deal with corporate fuckery.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if this was indeed preciptiated by something behind the scenes, or if Vinny just decided he wanted out, Alex didn't want to stick around without Vinny (he did the "lone man in New York" thing already, I doubt he wants to do it again, even if Bakalar is around technically). And then with those two leaving, Brad decided to go as well.

Honestly, Jeff sticking around in the truly weird thing here; if it was corporate fuckery, you'd think he'd bail as well. (Unless the baby and/or potential move is keeping him sticking around.)

BahamutZEROAthenornever diePeenAphostileBucketman
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I have to wonder if this was indeed preciptiated by something behind the scenes, or if Vinny just decided he wanted out, Alex didn't want to stick around without Vinny (he did the "lone man in New York" thing already, I doubt he wants to do it again, even if Bakalar is around technically). And then with those two leaving, Brad decided to go as well.

Honestly, Jeff sticking around in the truly weird thing here; if it was corporate fuckery, you'd think he'd bail as well. (Unless the baby and/or potential move is keeping him sticking around.)

I wonder if he has a longer contract obligation before he can do anything else

DiarmuidBahamutZEROErin The Red
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dan talked about this on his stream yesterday, he uploaded it to his YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5tLkPaFFbM&ab_channel=DanRyckert

BucketmanDee Kae
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's not hard for me to believe that Vinny and Alex and Brad all came to the same decision, at nearly the same time, without some grand precipitating event or conspiracy. I won't be surprised if it turns out there was corporate fuckery but I won't be surprised if there wasn't.

I've spent more time with the core Giant Bomb crew than I have with anyone outside of my family, certainly more than any other group of people I've never met, and I understand why they're all getting out but goddamn am I going to miss them.

PenumbraSproutBucketmanAistanMaddocShadow DemonCorp.ShephardKyouguDee Kae
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I believe that Vinny didn't know at first, but at some point he definitely knew what the fuck he was doing.

Yeah, at one point he goes "Fireb-" and then backspaces. Either way I loved that bit.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    It's not hard for me to believe that Vinny and Alex and Brad all came to the same decision, at nearly the same time, without some grand precipitating event or conspiracy. I won't be surprised if it turns out there was corporate fuckery but I won't be surprised if there wasn't.

I've spent more time with the core Giant Bomb crew than I have with anyone outside of my family, certainly more than any other group of people I've never met, and I understand why they're all getting out but goddamn am I going to miss them.

Oh for sure. Hell I worked at a place I hated at one point and one of the guys told me jokingly told the supervisor he was going to quit an they all had a laugh. I looked at him and went "You know what... thats not a bad idea to do for real" and I put in my 2 weeks the next day.

I could see them grousing internally about something and one of them finally going "I think I'm done" and the other two going "You know what, so am I".

Honestly it'll be far easier to re-invent GiantBomb if it hangs around this way too. You have Jan who is young with the fresh takes, Jeff and Jason who are the old hands who know everyone in the industry and could be great mentors, and Rorie who is Rorie, god bless him. Bringing in a new crew of folks honestly is probably what the site needs, and it'll be way less pressure without all the rest of the founders there.

Final Edit: Maybe they can finally get a real diverse crew too.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    well, how many of the new people at giant bomb have people liked?

I think they have a good record on hiring good people

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's never been a bad hire. Brad get on my nerves a lot and Dan was sometimes exausting, but all-in-all they've knocked it out of the park over and over again.

SimBenShadow Demondarunia106never die
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think a lot of it is that Vinny assumes he's already guessed that whenever he thinks of it

Corp.Shephard
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's never been a bad hire. Brad get on my nerves a lot and Dan was sometimes exausting, but all-in-all they've knocked it out of the park over and over again.

I really like Brad a lot more outside the discourse of talking about video games. He's fun with Will on the Techpod and I always liked the holiday stuff and his writing was great too.

For me Ben was the weakest. I just couldn't connect with him. but even then he was still pretty good.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    CelloSCREECH OF THE FARGDoodmannCormacPeenBucketmanShadowfire