As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spring cleaning

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    When does spring end? June 20th?

Okay.

I've still got time.

In California spring ends April 1stish, then begins first summer and summer prime begins around June 20. August through Sept is fire summer, then October is late summer.

I bought a $250 air purifier specifically for dealing with the fallout from fire summer later this year.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm taking this week off of work just because. Big plans to clean this mess of a house. Lots of scrubbing, vacuuming, organizing, wiping down the ceiling fans...

Looking forward to waking up depressed tomorrow morning and going back to bed!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This week is our big week to wrap up cleaning

I'd rather just move to a cleaner place

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Okay.

I've still got time.

In California spring ends April 1stish, then begins first summer and summer prime begins around June 20. August through Sept is fire summer, then October is late summer.

I bought a $250 air purifier specifically for dealing with the fallout from fire summer later this year.

Which model? I am thinking an air purifier might help with my dust issues.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    So two things. You gotta make time for it, and you gotta make it a habit. Just like any other goal you might have, like exercise, the hardest part is just getting started.

My ADHD-PI brain laughs at intentional habit formation.

For me, starting a task is a hurdle... but so is continuing a task, minute to minute, every damn time. Every freaking step is its own brand new hurdle.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Okay.

I've still got time.

Which model? I am thinking an air purifier might help with my dust issues.

The Coway 1512HH is the one I use, and I believe recommended by wirecutter, though I can't find their review anymore.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, cool. I am probably going to buy one, and I need to resist the urge to buy the absolutely huge air purifier that really is more than I need for my apartment.

I wish I knew how to properly dispose of medical equipment. I have a new CPAP and I'm actually getting supplies on a regular basis, including masks and hoses. I want them to be recycled, but they are super-complex (wire wrapped in different types of plastic) so it probably isn't worth it...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My partner and I did spring cleaning back around Lunar New Year, as is tradition round these parts. We keep things pretty clean and organized but I got a pile of laundry sitting on my dresser right now that is failing to put itself on my “give a fuck”list.

Yes, we received your headshot and audition tape, laundry, don’t call us, we’ll call you.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm taking this week off of work just because. Big plans to clean this mess of a house. Lots of scrubbing, vacuuming, organizing, wiping down the ceiling fans...

Looking forward to waking up depressed tomorrow morning and going back to bed!

So far the depression hasn't been great!

But I'm currently working on load five of laundry, and I spent some time cutting up a ton of veggies earlier to make some stir fry for dinner tonight. So not completely disappointing!

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I feel like for us, physical cleaning is something we can keep up with (dusting, vacuuming, etc) but the challenge is organizing and de-cluttering. There’s just SO many kids toys and books and holiday decorations and keepsakes and backup supplies and... and... so on.

Any trying to develop a system to put them all away is mentally exhausting, so instead I just go wipe down the stove because that’s an established chore that I can deal with.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My mom thinks I'm untidy because I keep things on display that she doesn't consider display items. And there are some things that probably aren't, but I also don't want to buy a bunch of fucking credenzas and armoires just to store shit in when there's a surface already available for it, you know?

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    The phrases "keeping things relatively clean" followed closely by "spending an hour a day cleaning" is making my head spin

I mean, an hour really just covers:
    - washing dishes
    - load of laundry
    - sweeping kitchen floor
    - wiping down surfaces

And maybe cleaning a toilet or vacuuming a floor

It doesn’t even touch cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming the house, changing bedsheets, dusting or any deep cleaning.

Granted, each kid seems to triple the amount of work involved, and pre-kids I could’ve easily struck laundry or sweeping the kitchen floor off that list.

But yeah, I frequently reach Saturday morning and draw back the curtains to realize that the shower is super grimy, the sunlight highlights the thick layer of dust on the shelves and everything needs a better scrubbing than I’m able to give it during the week.

Perrsun wrote: »
    I feel like for us, physical cleaning is something we can keep up with (dusting, vacuuming, etc) but the challenge is organizing and de-cluttering. There’s just SO many kids toys and books and holiday decorations and keepsakes and backup supplies and... and... so on.

Any trying to develop a system to put them all away is mentally exhausting, so instead I just go wipe down the stove because that’s an established chore that I can deal with.

My kid brings home so many papers with tiny drawings or little cuts and doesn't want to throw any of it away. So it ends up on the dining room table until she's at school and we can throw everything into the recycling bucket outside except for like one or two really cute things.

But she wants to keep everything and it's exhausting.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »

My kid brings home so many papers with tiny drawings or little cuts and doesn't want to throw any of it away. So it ends up on the dining room table until she's at school and we can throw everything into the recycling bucket outside except for like one or two really cute things.

But she wants to keep everything and it's exhausting.

My parents have a banker's box of art and important papers for each of us kids in their house. It's a trip to look back at those, 30 years later.

But yeah, no need to keep everything.

Around this time last year Mori and I were inspired to organize our garage and bedroom.

This weekend we’re doing it again! We rearranged the downstairs yesterday, which allowed for a good dusting/cleaning as I was going. I think we finally have a room plan that’s working for us... but I have said that before, lol.

Today I fixed the back door screen; it had fallen out soon after we moved in, but we kept it outside. It was still mostly in decent shaped so I cleaned it up and fixed it with an extra screw.

Then I did a lot of yardwork whilst Mori cleaned the garage and reorganized the kitchen.

If I can push on and organize our paperwork and clean out the fridge I’ll feel really accomplished and like our house is in a really good spot. Well, apart from the kids’ rooms...

Children's rooms are lost until they become teenagers, and even then it's dicey.

Just have a "BEWARE" sign made that refers to them as "The DreadLands" and force any and all visitors to forswear them until the children move out.

edited June 2021
    It is definitely hard to give kids the autonomy and privacy they deserve whilst enduring mental anguish I receive when I walk past their rooms.

If their rooms do get properly clean, it never lasts. I’m trying to teach myself to settle for: clear floors and no food remnants.

We do have a no-food-outside-the-kitchen rule in the house, but it occasionally gets broken. The kids think the rule is draconian but literally every time it’s been broken it’s proven why it’s a rule (like the now-permanent brown stain Niko’s smoothie left in their playroom).

I deep-cleaned Anya’s room the other month and she had stashed a lollipop stick in a drawer. Only a little thing, but it had attracted flies. Which had attracted a spider. Which meant me scooping dead flies and a dead spider out of a sticky drawer.

Anyway, this weekend we did indeed sort out all the paperwork! A decade’s worth of filing was organized. And now I know precisely where every important certificate and record is. :D

Janson on
    So much dust... but I think I'm making progress. I finally tackled a corner of my bedroom that I'd just been letting stuff pile up in. The idea being that I want to put my storage boxes here, because it's a nice out of the way place.

The air purifier is really helping. Turning it up to full and then dusting/vacuuming does a lot of good, and I can see the air not have dust in it so much.

YNl4qvph.jpg

It is now summer.

To hot for spring cleaning.

Only time to sit around sipping on iced tea and fanning one self with whatever you have at hand.

It is now summer.

Only time to sit around sipping on iced tea and fanning one self with whatever you have at hand.

Meteorological summer isn't for 14 days!

It is now summer.

It's 90 degrees Fahrenheit outside

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    It is now summer.

Nah, if meteors get involved in determining when seasons begin we're all screwed.

I think what you meant was "astronomical summer", but I'm not sure.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Early May I did a big Marie Kondo of my apartment to get rid of Useless Stuff (because I can replace it with Newer Useless Stuff like this French ceramic donabe, or this slow cooker I bought specifically to warm bicycle chain wax) and I got through every room of the house, including Hell Closet, except... my bedroom.

Which is where the overwhelming majority of small bits and bobs and all of my years of paperwork, useless and otherwise, are stored.

I was pretty content to indefinitely defer that but just yesterday I realized I hadn't seen my birth certificate or social security card in a while (not that I use my social security card literally ever in Singapore), and they are not in the place I thought I'd stashed them, so... WHOOPS GUESS I GOTTA GET CLEANIN

E: they're definitely in the bedroom, I don't store important papers anywhere else and I never take them out of the house, so... small favours

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I put the burden of keeping all those papers on my parents because we both feel more comfortable that way in spite of the empirical fact that I should have those things with me at all times.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Mmm my parents also have a copy of the birth certificate but honestly that's the thing I'm more likely to some day need here. Not like anyone outside of the U.S. gives a flying fuck about your social security card.

Or your credit score by the way! Thanks for that made-up bullshit, America!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Where is my birth certificate, anyway?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Where is my birth certificate, anyway?

I'll never tell!

all of my important documents are in one of two fireproof safes. one for money and one for birth certs, ss cards, and etc.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey folks, where do you keep your less-commonly-used kitchen stuff? Like I have some assorted specialty cooking things that get used just a few times a year, and no idea where to put them since my cabinets are full.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hey folks, where do you keep your less-commonly-used kitchen stuff? Like I have some assorted specialty cooking things that get used just a few times a year, and no idea where to put them since my cabinets are full.

My solution:
    9aftubrvcwqs.png

• red11red11 Registered User regular
    Oh, spring cleaning, right? I totally feel you. My favorite part is definitely clearing out stuff I don't need anymore.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'm glad we don't get fire summer around here. Hurricane summer isn't great though.

red11 wrote: »
    Oh, spring cleaning, right? I totally feel you. My favorite part is definitely clearing out stuff I don't need anymore.

Does not compute.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Does not compute.

Whatever do you mean, normal human poster? Surely we all enjoy a cleansing session of discarding items and sundries.

• XenaLenaXenaLena Bumflum IndianaRegistered User regular

Decluttering is like soul cleansing to me.

Whoa who dug up this thread

It really doesn't spark joy in me though

Well in the bin with ye

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i need every single thing in my home

why would i have it

7656367.jpg
    sarukun wrote: »

Does not compute.

Honestly, the thought of throwing a bunch of shit out is terrifying. But both times we've rented dumpsters have been thoroughly enjoyable.

Physically painful, but just a joy.

i need every single thing in my home

why would i have it

Is your will just a cocktail napkin with a scrawled out "bury me with my stuff" on it?

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Whoa who dug up this thread

It really doesn't spark joy in me though

Well in the bin with ye

Oh geeze I didn't even notice how old this thread was nor the bot that posted. I'm just enjoying everyone's posts without a care in the world.

I did find PlayStation portable go in my filing cabinet for some reason recently