As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop power supply question

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
My laptop came with a 45W, 19.5v, 2.31A brick that you can fry an egg on when charging the battery. Replaced the brick through warranty and the new one does the same thing.

Will buying a 90W, 19.5v, 4.62A brick hurt the laptop in any way?

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I am NOT a laptop technician, but I can not imagine why having a PSU that can provide more power should be a problem.

However make sure that not only the voltage is a match, but also that the connectors are identical as there is not standards that mean for example the positive terminal is the same and if not that will kill your laptop.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I am a laptop tech. To answer your question, yes, you can use a 90w power adapter in place of a 40w as long as the voltage and tip are the same. Now there are a few things to keep in mind. If you have a Dell laptop, get a genuine Dell branded power adapter. They are pretty easy to find on Amazon and Ebay. The laptop talks to the adapter and you'll get errors if you don't get a genuine adapter. You also risk ruining your entire laptop with a knock-off.

If you post your laptop's make and model I can find you a link to a power adapter.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    HP 17t-by400. Came with a 45w, 19.5v, 2.31a charger that you can fry an egg on when charging the battery. Replaced the charger through warranty and same thing.

Switched to a 90w, 19.5v 4.61a charger but wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    HP 17t-by400. Came with a 45w, 19.5v, 2.31a charger that you can fry an egg on when charging the battery. Replaced the charger through warranty and same thing.

Switched to a 90w, 19.5v 4.61a charger but wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything.

That sounds like it'll work great. Watts is calculated by multiplying the volts by the amps. Amps is the max current a device can pull. Volts is how much "pressure" is behind that current. You can always get a higher amperage supply as long as the voltage is the same. And I always recommend genine adapters, regardless of brand. I've seen too many laptops get fired by shitty power cords.