As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - Pyramid Scheme [PBP]

123457»

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Louie raises a hand to decline, and bows slightly to Fractal as if in apology. "Appreciate it, Professor! But truth be told, I've never been much fer' dancing..." He takes a long look at Felix, and smiles an inscrutable smile. "If ya' don't mind, me and our esteemed friend here simply stay an' watch. An'...truth be told, I were hoping fer' the opportunity to maybe catch a word..."

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    "We can talk here, in full sight of those gathered. I'm not so foolish as to isolate myself with your kind. It's said all you need is a drop to set a Cainite ablaze, and as we've established, I am no fool. If you fear the involvement of the Gangrel, that is one fear you can count as unfounded. They have no interest in the machinations of sorcerers, so long as you avoid their territory, which your Regentia is wise enough to honor the bounds of." Felix remains fixed in place, though he does glance briefly back to the pavilion, noting the distant presence of the bestial Kindred in question, as if for reassurance that he can count on his presence should things go sideways.

"Well, if you wish to converse on such matters, far be it from me to intrude." Fractal gives a dismissive gesture, appearing content to retreat away from the confines of the small gathering. "I prefer not to talk shop once Council has adjourned, you see. It can be quite tiring, I prefer to spend my nights on more interesting fare."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    '... Alright then.', Gurstag says, straightening and dropping the pretense.

'I really only had one question to ask.
    You warned us before of our kine associates.
    What exactly is it that you think they are?'
    Gurstag fumbles, before adding, 'And how have they managed to elude you?'

Gurstag runs a thumb along his beard.
    'We had hoped to investigate our contacts more thoroughly ourselves, but then someone tried to drop a Hunt on us.'

edited August 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "We can talk here, in full sight of those gathered. I'm not so foolish as to isolate myself with your kind. It's said all you need is a drop to set a Cainite ablaze, and as we've established, I am no fool."

"Cain's-sake, an' no one ever suggested you were!" Louie protests quietly, his voice touched with something between exasperation and a sort of parental disappointment. "But now that you mention it? Yeah! I'll say it! If you think I'd try to take a shot at one of the City-Heads? Here? That we'd want to, even after that shit you just pulled on me an' the Professor back there? Well..." Louie carefully measures his next words, finally choosing boldness. In a quiet but firm voice, he remarks to Felix, "...I'd say I were dealin' with either a fool...or, a clever man who should know better, but time has let his bigotries and lesser nature get the better of him."

Louie let's the words linger, and after a few tense beats nods with a sudden, genuine sympathy up towards the Nosferatu. "Now, I know yer' no fool, Felix! What I do think...is that you Nos' are so used to tasting boot from Kine, that the second you saw the Tremere fallen low, a chance to climb the hierarchy...you decided to strap on big, heavy boots o' your own."

"Can't say I even blame you, really. It's just anim-human, nature, after all. But, it doesn't have to be that way. I think you...I think we...could do better than that. Could try for better than that." Louie smiles, and his leathery face curls up in a warm, friendly look; a look begging for a second chance at a good first impression. For a moment he holds out that look of hope between him and Felix. An instant later, the smile is gone, and something deep and indescribale at the back of Louie's eyes glints a cold, judgmental stare at the Nosferatu. "But, of course, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you really are just a simple, stupid bigot."

If Louie's heart could still beat, it would be still in his chest. After he spits out the final accusation like a whip, Louie turns to the dance floor, pretending to gaze wistfully out at Gurstag and Fractal as he awaits the Nos's (likely) fury and tries not to visibly wince. In the middle of all this, he has a strange moment of utter calm. Louie grumbles with surprised appreciation, and nonchalantly remarks to Felix. "Huh! Professor's a lot better on his feet than he gives himself credit for, isn't he?"

mrpaku on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    "I don't need to think, childe, we know. Even their own kind distrust them, they know them to be manipulators and deceivers. Sounds familiar, come to think of it. You are placing your chips in a stacked deck."

Felix's reaction to Louie's approach is much less reserved. He almost seems on the verge of letting the Beast take hold until that final word hits home.

"You have some nerve to accuse us, those who even our own kind spit on and overlook with disdain, as being such." For a flicker of a moment, the plain unassuming visage fades, and the scarred form of a face that looks as if it had been pressed into the business end of a flaming grill comes into view, with a snarling expression. "Though you and yours have been through much, so I'll allow you that slight. This once. We are on the same side, or so I like to think, so consider our warning an act of charity... if perhaps done with less tact than might have been appropriate. It was decided that a show of force would be most... persuasive. I believe your collective minds are already made up, despite our advice to the contrary, especially with our dear Princess so eagerly backing your play?"

As for the Malkavian, she seems content to shuffle her deck in the background, appearing to pay the conversation no mind... but conveniently staying within earshot.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2022
    "Please,", Gurstag stands resolutely, shutting out his partner's ire, "You know that's not what you said before."

He exhales, re-evaluating the situation.
    "And if that duplicity is the only hazard, then why warn us at all..
    but I feel like we're wasting everyone's time here.
    We will have to sound out our contacts in some other manner, and you probably have other matters of your own to attend to."

He places a hand on Louie's shoulder, and glances toward the parking lot.
    "And as to our comments in council, what did you expect bringing them down on us? We are ill equipped to bring the wolves to our lady's throat.
    Even if we'd prefer to avoid getting dusted."

"But when we've had more time to study exactly who we're getting involved with,", he pauses, "then we should have a good idea as to whether the project moves ahead."

discrider on
    Loony Louie tries not to flinch as Felix’s true face is revealed. He holds eye contact, and continues to listens with a sympathetic ear. As Felix wraps up, he says eagerly, “Same side, agree completely! And I appreciate that favor, Felix…believe me, I do! Know…know that I’m not so simple as to think that any of the Kine in that room have our best interests at heart, right? I mean, at least with you, I know where we stand!”

When Felix asks if their minds are already made up, Louie shrugs with resignation. “I mean, seems like our minds have more or less been made up for us, don’tcha think? But I will say this…we’ll be keeping our eyes open, and our ears listening. Situation’s this hot…I find the chaos can throw a lot of balls up in the air…” Grinning mischievously, Louie jokes to the Nosferatu, “Now, I know us Wizards have a bit of a bad rap for handling situations like that recently…but who knows? We might still surprise you!”

As Gurstag siddles up and joins the conversation Louie grins, and begins to fiddle with his cigarettes as he listens to the Professor. “See, just like I said!” he points out to Felix. “We’re gonna study the situation…find out what’s what…adapt if need be! Who knows? Maybe this ends up helping us all out!”

He turns to Gurstag, nodding towards the parking lot. “Well, twinkle-toes? You ready to waltz on out of here and get to work? Or did you want to take Felix here fer’ a spin, first?”

"Very well, you've made your... allegiances clear, even if your logic leaves something to be desired. I have no intention of standing in your way, however the chips may fall. As to others, well... that will be up to them, won't it?" Either Felix knows a lost argument when he hears it, or has matters of his own to tend to. He soon retreats in the direction of the pavilion, presumably for more agreeable company.

"My, you handled him well. You'd make fine Harpies, bluffing on a stacked deck like that." Fractal draws closer at the Nosferatu's departure, as if that was what she'd been awaiting. "I hope such wit keeps you safe in the nights to come. Words can make for thin armor, I've come to notice."

wVEsyIc.png
    "I'll have to take your word for it", Gurstag quips, feeling his pores prick for perspiration that no longer lives there.
    "I hardly expected a Primogen to intrude personally on our errands. Especially one who arrives unannounced. Had I been aware, we could have perhaps avoided some of this unpleasantness."

He ruffles his hair.
    "Something to ask our Regentia about I suppose."
    Bumbling indeed

"Madame Fractal," Louie says with a gentle bow and a gallant sweep of the arm. "Charming and insightful as always!"

He gives a humble laugh when the Malkavian compliments his wit. "Ahh, but then I disagree that words are meant for armor, my dear lady!" With a mischievous look, Louie leans in and whispers to Fractal and Gurstag. "Words are for weapons. Now this?" he says, tugging with both hands upon his jacket collar. "This is as fine a suit of armor as one could hope for!"

Louie sighs with frustration when Gurstag mentions the Regentia. "Yeah, no shit...jest, add it to the list, huh?" To Fractal, "My fair lady...once more, it's been a pleasure! We hope to see you again soon... although, I imagine, somehow you'll be seeing us, first."

"Indeed", Gurstag concurs, pulling his hat back on, and getting ready to leave. "Although, was there anything else we could help you with before we take our leave, Madame?
    I'm still open for a dance, if you desire.
    But it sounded like you weren't here to talk shop, so I don't want to hold you up more than necessary if you had other matters to attend to.
    Or bore you with ours."

"Nothing at all, far be it from me to intrude further... my interest only extended so far as to ensure none of you deprived the other of their throats. Bloodshed is typically frowned upon on such hallowed grounds, after all... typically. Consider the kind offer tabled for a later time." With a slight incline of her head giving way to a half-bow, she turns and retreats back towards the marketplace. "Mind your footing as you leave, the path can be deceptively straightforward."

wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2022
    A flicker of concern crosses Gurstag's face as he returns Fractal's gesture.
    'Of course, Madame.'

Back at the car, Gurstag refuses to even step foot inside before giving it a once over for any tampering.

Later that night, the two arrive near Jonathon's residence.
    Pulling into a secluded garage, Gurstag dismounts, popping his collar and pulling it tight around his peaked face.
    He feels his vitae coiling, much like adrenaline would, preparing him for the task at hand.
    And his lockpicks also slide into place, from the inner door of Louie's car into his jacket pocket.

He glances at Louie, 'Now, I hope I don't need to impress that we hope not to offend our colleagues tonight. So we should try to keep this as short, sharp and quiet as possible.
    And try to keep out of sight of cameras as much as possible.
    We don't know who's watching, or rather we should certainly expect the Technocrats are.'
    Pulling his gloves to, he shuts the car door.

'I'm hoping that our friend's apartment is somewhat notable by the level of occult energy nearby, or perhaps you might be able to see some other aura with a similar effect to Liana's.
    Either way, if you could keep your eyes open, and point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.'
    And with that Gurstag starts prowling the streets with Louie, keeping to the shadows as much as possible.

Boosting Dex to 4, Blood from 7 to 6 I think
    Minion roll 6d10t7 for Dex and Stealth

Dex and Stealth:
    6d10t7 3 [6d10t7=5, 2, 3, 7, 7, 8]

discrider on
    Fortunately, at the late hour, the surrounding streets are almost deserted, apart from the occasional vagrant, who pays no more mind to your vehicle than anything else. The address you were given eventually leads to a CBD, of all places, with a clear neon sign indicating "OPEN 24 HOURS - ALL PAYMENTS ACCEPTED, EVEN EBT". If anyone is inside, it's difficult to tell from the exterior.

wVEsyIc.png
    Louie places a reassuring hand on Gurstag’s shoulder. “You go,” he whispers. “I got this. Had ta’ run scams like this before, once or twice when I was livin’ the streets…”

Whistling, Louie wanders into a nearby alleyway, takes note of some empty boxes, and pops open the dumpster he finds. The leathery vamp digs through the refuse, eventually procuring an armful of empty beer bottles. He closes the lid, and his boot bumps into a cracked length of rebar lying beneath the container’s wheel. “Heh…perfect!” he remarks to the empty alley, and snakes his empty hand around the rusty metal.

Still whistling (a sort of purposefully bad rendition of the “Baby Elephant Waltz”), Louie begins to walk up the street. Taking a careful look around to make sure that he isn’t currently being observed, he stoops down and hucks one of the empty beer bottles, aiming it directly into the middle of the road. As it smashes and the glass tinkles, Louie shouts up into the night sky, “PATS SUCK!” He pitches another one, this time at a mailbox, punctuated by a “SOX SUCK!” The next one lands and sprays glass all across a storefront entrance. “BRUINS SUCK!” Coming upon a parked car, he grins to himself, whips back the rebar, and bashes out the car’s back left tail light, as he shouts, “BEANTOWN? MORE LIKE PISS-TOWN! WHOLE SLUM OF CHICKENSHITS…” Letting the last bottle fly up and smash the side of a lightpost, spraying glass down like rain, Louie ducks down into the alley, and tucks himself down inside the stack of cardboard boxes, waiting

Gurstag is halfway up the external roof access when the ruckus starts down the street.
    He pauses a moment, listening, before shaking his head and resuming his climb.

It's not that he thought Louie couldn't keep a low profile, but, he hadn't expected it to be useful if he didn't.

edited September 2022
    The clamoring draws a few glances from the local vagrants, a few of whom yell out choice curses in return, some in assent, some in vulgar argument, but for the most part, it doesn't create much of a stir... on the street, anyway. It does get the attention of a small figure in a coat who ventures out from the shop into the night, glancing down at the source of the disturbance.

"Have one too much to drink, old man?" Whoever it is has their hand at a side pocket, as if ready for, and possibly anticipating, trouble.

The roof has a small hatch with a thin lock on it, the only clear access apart from the back door and the assorted windows.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Gurstag sniffs as he crouches down to inspect the dollar store lock securing the hatch.
    Basically an invitation.

Still, it's not the lock that's most important here.
    Gurstag traces his gloved fingers lightly around the hatch, trying to see if there are any alarms or other security measures that might alert his gracious hosts.

edited September 2022
    Gurstag loosens up as his fingers begin to twitch even more precisely.
    It's a bit hard to deny the rush of consuming yet more vitae, but needs must, and at least they've found the place.
    Still doesn't do to turn into a ravenous beast either.

Methodically proving with his gaunt fingers, the kin quickly falls back on his old ways of working.
    Strip the wire.
    Bridge the contact.
    Remove the sensor.
    And tie the whole thing together.

Gurstag is going to consume another blood point to raise Dex to 5 until the end of the scene.
    Also spend a willpower, because we really don't want the alarm going off before we get in.

Dex -> 5, Blood -> 5, Willpower -> 3/5

Geth roll 7d10t7 for anti-anti-intrusion alarms

So 2

anti-anti-intrusion alarms:
    7d10t7 1 [7d10t7=6, 6, 8, 6, 4, 1, 3]

discrider on
    The elaborate rewiring is complete, though you can't be sure it was actually successful until the alarm is actually tripped. All appears quiet inside for the moment, apart from the tension in the street, as the coated figure is waiting for a response from the source of the disturbance.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The clamoring draws a few glances from the local vagrants, a few of whom yell out choice curses in return, some in assent, some in vulgar argument, but for the most part, it doesn't create much of a stir... on the street, anyway. It does get the attention of a small figure in a coat who ventures out from the shop into the night, glancing down at the source of the disturbance.

"Have one too much to drink, old man?" Whoever it is has their hand at a side pocket, as if ready for, and possibly anticipating, trouble.

Louie groans, and opens one eye up at the gentleman. "Please," he please pitifully. "Please, sir...I was assaulted by a pack of yutes'...they said awful things, threw me against the curb when I tried to flee an'... kicked me up a bit!" Louie pulls himself from our of the stack and boxes, and his hands begin to press down along the pavement, groping like a blind man. "Oh no... glasses! Please, have you seen my glasses?... I'm blind as a bat without them...oh, no..."

"Whatever. Beat it, this is private property." The figure's guard seems to relax, and he motions off in another direction. "Or you'll wish they'd finished your ass off."
    Without paying Louie a second thought, the person turns and retreats back into the store.

wVEsyIc.png