As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed each dragon age game more than the one before it, but DA:I has lots of bloat and it had some absolutely disastrous party banter/companion quest bugs at launch

I liked the dai multiplayer a lot though, the unlock system was poop but I had lots of fun playing it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I picked Knight Enchanter cause I wanted to be a Vanguard again

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My biggest gripe with DA:I is the removal of Tactics, meaning I had to either let the AI behave like complete dipshits or frantically micromanage every single encounter.

It sucked! I'm not even sure how much of a design decision it was vs. a choice forced on them by the switch to Frostbite, but it still felt horrible.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    within the first few hours da2 does a timeskip to move past the year of your life where you do dirty work for a mercenary faction to get by and i immediately knew that the game was not interested in telling a story i would be interested in

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I loved each Dragon Age game, but then I played them as they were released and I have no idea how well they hold up today. I played DA:O and DA2 at least 2-3 times each at the time. I remember getting chills at the opening battle cutscene in DA:O (which probably looks terrible these days). In the moment, it's a lot easier to put up with the downsides to a game. The slog that was the Fade and the Deep Roads would probably weigh a lot heavier today vs back then.

But overall they are still really great games. There are still many moments I remember from DA:O despite not having played it in a decade.
    The broodmother, the companions (particularly Morrigan and Shale), the Anvil of the Void quest

I remember less from DA2 other than the ending. I'm one of the folks that liked DA:O more, but I still really liked it. How much you'll enjoy the older Dragon Age games will probably come down to how much you like the world, characters, and lore, since they are less refined by today's standards.

Folks have already mentioned, for DA:I just skip a lot of the fetch quests or trying to 100% each area and you'll have a lot more fun with DA:I. I think there is a mod that added unlimited crafting materials that will help a ton.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    within the first few hours da2 does a timeskip to move past the year of your life where you do dirty work for a mercenary faction to get by and i immediately knew that the game was not interested in telling a story i would be interested in

oh, battletech

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    My biggest gripe with DA:I is the removal of Tactics, meaning I had to either let the AI behave like complete dipshits or frantically micromanage every single encounter.

It sucked! I'm not even sure how much of a design decision it was vs. a choice forced on them by the switch to Frostbite, but it still felt horrible.

On top of having to learn and build everything in Frostbite, the decision to release on last gen/next gen (PS3/PS4) really screwed a lot of design decisions.

EDIT: A fate CDProjektRed seemed to want to emulate.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Also a huge chunk of side quest bloat in Inquisition is in the very first open area you reach, The Hinterlands. That was a terrible decision that negatively impacted a lot of players' perceptions and caused a lot of folks to drop the game pretty early on.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah that's where I quit. Also I think I picked a party with hella low damage output and also had it on a higher difficulty and it's one of those games that thinks difficult means damage sponge.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    My "favorite" part of DA:I was playing a rogue, where several rogue attacks hit horizontally which meant that it was possible to not be able to hit targets that are knocked prone on a slope because your character would aim horizontally over them. Good, good.

Ditto the fact that the Mage passives that required you to stand still would be broken by casting most spells since the spell animation would move your character model.

what the hell
    how does that happen

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    BioWare and Frostbite is a thing that confuses me

A quick look at wikipedia shows that BioWare started using Frostbite for DA:I in 2011, which released in 2014. Mass Effect Andromeda started 2012-ish, released in 2017. Anthem also started in 2012 and released 2019.

That's 7-8 years of trying to work with Frostbite, and they're still trying to use it for Dragon Age 4

I don't understand

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh man, "LEAVE THE HINTERLANDS", that takes me back.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's Dragon Age, you play a Wizard

In Dragon Age Origins the difficulty is inversely proportional to how many mages you bring.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Any game where magic has friendly fire is not a game I'm going to have fun in

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »

A quick look at wikipedia shows that BioWare started using Frostbite for DA:I in 2011, which released in 2014. Mass Effect Andromeda started 2012-ish, released in 2017. Anthem also started in 2012 and released 2019.

That's 7-8 years of trying to work with Frostbite, and they're still trying to use it for Dragon Age 4

I don't understand

They were likely not given a choice.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    My "favorite" part of DA:I was playing a rogue, where several rogue attacks hit horizontally which meant that it was possible to not be able to hit targets that are knocked prone on a slope because your character would aim horizontally over them. Good, good.

Ditto the fact that the Mage passives that required you to stand still would be broken by casting most spells since the spell animation would move your character model.

what the hell
    how does that happen

Frostbite's a crappy engine that BioWare had little to no experience with when developing DA:I so I imagine they did not have sophisticated code for tracking player movement (forced) vs player movement (input), and given how much of a constant on-fire nightmare DA:I's development is purported to have been developing such was probably not on the priority list.

• Options
    Incidentally I can already feel my inevitable replay of DA2 once I finish HZD coming on, thanks thread.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

I don't understand

All accounts say that EA mandated any game released under their label use Frostbite, while at the same time keeping most of the developers who had experience using that engine at work on Call of Duty (or Battlefield, whichever of the two mega-popular shooters EA owns). Since Frostbite was purpose-built for FPS games, trying to make the engine do stuff that FPS games don't usually do is difficult, hence all of Bioware's stuff in recent years.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

I don't understand

All accounts say that EA mandated any game released under their label use Frostbite, while at the same time keeping most of the developers who had experience using that engine at work on Call of Duty (or Battlefield, whichever of the two mega-popular shooters EA owns). Since Frostbite was purpose-built for FPS games, trying to make the engine do stuff that FPS games don't usually do is difficult, hence all of Bioware's stuff in recent years.

Except notably enough Respawn, which for some reason is allowed to go fuck you and use whatever technology they want to not make Titanfall 3.

• Options

I don't understand

Around the time DA:I started development, EA mandated that all EA developers must use Frostbite.

Frostbite is, by all accounts, a crappy engine to develop in, especially since it's purpose built for FPSes and not really for any other task.

EA also kept all its experienced Frostbite developers working on Battlefield and by multiple reports, BioWare struggled hard to get any support from experienced Frostbite developers.

It's a real shame.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

I don't understand

Except notably enough Respawn, which for some reason is allowed to go fuck you and use whatever technology they want to not make Titanfall 3.

IIRC Respawn's contract with EA gives them a ton of latitude that other EA devs don't have.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I loved each Dragon Age game, but then I played them as they were released and I have no idea how well they hold up today. I played DA:O and DA2 at least 2-3 times each at the time. I remember getting chills at the opening battle cutscene in DA:O (which probably looks terrible these days). In the moment, it's a lot easier to put up with the downsides to a game. The slog that was the Fade and the Deep Roads would probably weigh a lot heavier today vs back then.

Yeah, same. I'm trying to think if there were any games I'd played previously that had those kinds of cinematics. I guess Mass Effect was closest but it doesn't have any big dramatic battles like that.

Origins was my favourite. 2 was okay but I never finished it, got bored. And Inquisition was ugly and bloated but there was some good stuff in there, like my videogame husband.

Though I couldn't go back to Origins now. The memory of my character's glassy, silent stare in every conversation haunts me to this day.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    A decade plus in the corporate world has certainly given me a lot of insight into the why of decisions like the Frostbite thing though. Ultimately it comes down to people saying that we've already bought/built X, so we should get the most out of that investment as we can and make everything use X from this point forward. Discussions about how feasible it is for Y to work with X are frustratingly less common.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    What's some good controller supported PC games to test using my raspberry pi as a steam link

What software did you use on the raspi?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    A decade plus in the corporate world has certainly given me a lot of insight into the why of decisions like the Frostbite thing though. Ultimately it comes down to people saying that we've already bought/built X, so we should get the most out of that investment as we can and make everything use X from this point forward. Discussions about how feasible it is for Y to work with X are frustratingly less common.

this has been a huge fight in the fighting game community in the last few years, where consumers have been trying really hard to get developers to stop using their bad netcode that is always used because it was developed in-house, and to please talk with the people who have developed significantly better netcode, please god there is a pandemic, we cannot play in person

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

this has been a huge fight in the fighting game community in the last few years, where consumers have been trying really hard to get developers to stop using their bad netcode that is always used because it was developed in-house, and to please talk with the people who have developed significantly better netcode, please god there is a pandemic, we cannot play in person

look here at the dev studio we can play each other over lan with minimal latency, so I don't know what your problem is

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What's some good controller supported PC games to test using my raspberry pi as a steam link

What software did you use on the raspi?

I installed Raspbian and did

Sudo apt-get install steam link

I also put Kodi on there so I can just switch between Kodi for watching stuff and steam link for playing games

I honestly need another wireless controller though. The cat is gonna have a field day with the wired one.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It is grimly amusing that, in the typical fashion of silicon valley, they are "inventing" something that already exists

In this case, they are "inventing" multiplayer games with pay-to-win functionality.

And because they are so blinkered to, "Oh, maybe somebody somewhere has already tried this," they're about to sink billions of dollars into games that will die in their first week because nobody wants to play games in an ecosystem where rich fucks will effortlessly kick their shit in

If it weren't for the environmental impact of this particular flavor of boneheaded dipshittery, I'd be willing to upgrade from "grimly amusing" to "unequivocally hilarious"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    None of that makes any sense!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Control
    - treating Jesse as an unreliable narrator until further notice
    - mildly intrigued by the mystery of her passenger / companion
    - live action bits fit well
    - 'Threshold Kids' is immediately disturbing

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

It is grimly amusing that, in the typical fashion of silicon valley, they are "inventing" something that already exists

In this case, they are "inventing" multiplayer games with pay-to-win functionality.

And because they are so blinkered to, "Oh, maybe somebody somewhere has already tried this," they're about to sink billions of dollars into games that will die in their first week because nobody wants to play games in an ecosystem where rich fucks will effortlessly kick their shit in

If it weren't for the environmental impact of this particular flavor of boneheaded dipshittery, I'd be willing to upgrade from "grimly amusing" to "unequivocally hilarious"

I don't know man, if I was extravagantly wealthy and listless with no other purpose in life, I gotta ask myself what wouldn't I spend to prove my virility in the new sexual archetype of Fastest Mario?

• Options
    Like the example the article uses is dumb because, like, Mario Kart is not going to have 12 characters, and whoever is the lucky one to purchase Mario gets to enjoy owning the best character and profiting off other people playing as him and giving their mariocoins to the owner.

There are going to be 2,000 very slightly different versions of Mario, and 2,000 versions of Yoshi, because these devs will sell exactly as many NFTs as they can find buyers for them.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    In the real world, the idea of some techbro chode even thinking they could claim to own Mario in any form - Nintendo's lawyers [salivating in billable hours]

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My Mario has a cig hanging off his lip and a big red tribal tattoo on his face and he drives like absolute dogturds.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This has all been done with gachas already where a single unit gets ten billion variants and only some of them are actually good

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    As one of the two only humans in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario has always been kind of a non-fungi token.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    user wrote: »

I don't know man, if I was extravagantly wealthy and listless with no other purpose in life, I gotta ask myself what wouldn't I spend to prove my virility in the new sexual archetype of Fastest Mario?

I hate that we could have fought this as a community but instead let the far left speedrunners and their lazy antics dominate the marketplace.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    As one of the two only humans in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario has always been kind of a non-fungi token.

Chico...

This discussion has been closed.