As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Hmmm - now I have a house I hate this. If I didn't have a house I'd be very happy.

"Relocation to land that is not yet ready to purchase will no longer be available as of 6.0."

This site has a good bullet point overview of the live letter.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The xp thing is…weird

The housing changes are nice in a vacuum, but unless they’re also planning on increasing supply by a LOT, even more than just putting in ishgard housing, it won’t actually get any ‘easier’ to buy a house with the new system.

The changes seem focused on making it so players can’t get angry with each other. People are already figuring out ways around the new FC limitations.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i love Eureka

I have no idea why

the gameplay is mindless, the content isn't varied, the rewards are purely cosmetic, and achieving anything takes enormous amounts of time.

But I just love it. It reminds me of the Legion assault levelling from the Legion prepatch, back in early 2016 at the end of WOD. Dozens or hundreds of people swarming to objectives, working on them together.

I think it's really interesting how something that is just objectively boring content can be quite enjoyable and thrilling when you have a good community of people doing it and helping each other. A random healer will cross half a zone to rez someone who died to avoid them having to take an XP down hit from releasing. People will actively wait multiple minutes after spawning a Fate to let others come to it before they pull. In theory, Korthia should have had the same feeling, but WoW's entire lack of collective positive community collaboration means that it was instead a stressful dash everywhere, hoping to get to a rare that popped before everyone blew it up.

There are some particularly rare enemies such as King Arthro and Copycat Cassie that drop low% items that go for millions of gil on the market board.

Traditionally my experience with similar WoW content has been rush to kill it with as minimal a group as possible because why should other people also get it? More in circulation devalues the one I might get!

FF14 someone announces the rare is up and everyone waits for as much of the zone as possible to get there before pulling and it's like "good luck on your drop!"

It was at first a surreal experience to be sure.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You can have literally a hundred people standing in front of a fate who agreed to pull it at 27 minutes remaining, and ONE person says in shout chat "on my way wait for 2600 please?" and everyone just...waits.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    1.5 levels, but it only applies to mob kills so if you're doing MSQ most of your XP won't be consuming rested.

I did do all that with three days of roulettes and 1-2 extra dungeons so I suppose that's the answer. And if it doesn't count the completion bonus XP than I can see that lasting a while, I'm not sure how much dungeon xp is just from killing the mobs

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i think the simple ability to know that my friends on the same server will always be visible to me if we're in the same place at the same time adds a level of immersion to FFXIV that I wasn't aware I was missing from WoW until now

saw one of my static members just wall leaning in Limsa, so I went over and leaned next to them while I was working through a few videos.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Oooo I straight up missed them announcing a February launch date for Oceanic Servers.

Gives me time to "finish" my lala's story in preperation to play my fresh Bnnuy once they open.

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    I don't think it has an actual date. It's just "should be 6.1", and in turn, 6.1 "should be Feb/March". Unless the latest live letter had that announcement and I can't find anyone talking about it, that is.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I'll be interested to see how they handle people who have houses when they open transfers to the new Oceanic server(s). It's a fairly significant barrier to moving if you're going to lose it.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I don't think it has an actual date. It's just "should be 6.1", and in turn, 6.1 "should be Feb/March". Unless the latest live letter had that announcement and I can't find anyone talking about it, that is.

The live letter had a short thing after the housing section that gave a tentative Feb date, but no set day - so anywhere from the start to the end of the month. We'll see if it sticks, but much excite in the meantime.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The xp thing is…weird

The housing changes are nice in a vacuum, but unless they’re also planning on increasing supply by a LOT, even more than just putting in ishgard housing, it won’t actually get any ‘easier’ to buy a house with the new system.

The changes seem focused on making it so players can’t get angry with each other. People are already figuring out ways around the new FC limitations.
    They have also said they're going to be watching logs like a hawk and will be giving out punishments to people skirting the new rules and systems.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I cleared Ridorana yesterday. I succeeded at the math thing the first time, but failed the second time? He asked for "prime" and "divisible by 5", I gave 3 and 5, only to see red Xs. What gives?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It depends on your HP. If your health is 2, and it asks for divisible by 5, you'd stand on panel 3.

reVerse on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I cleared Ridorana yesterday. I succeeded at the math thing the first time, but failed the second time? He asked for "prime" and "divisible by 5", I gave 3 and 5, only to see red Xs. What gives?

What was your hp though?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah the panels simply add to your max hp, which has been set to a random 1 digit number

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    and remember for the future, one is not a prime number!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    3 and 5 were my HP. Maybe I clipped another circle on my way back to attacking the boss maybe?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You gotta stay in until it checks out. Sounds like you moved out too soon.

• Options
    Aaah. So does that mean that if your HP already meets the criteria you still have to add something to it so you're in a circle when the check happens?

• Options
    edited November 2021
    No, if your hp already meets the criteria you just don't get in a circle. If it still said you got it wrong you miscalculated something.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    You can have literally a hundred people standing in front of a fate who agreed to pull it at 27 minutes remaining, and ONE person says in shout chat "on my way wait for 2600 please?" and everyone just...waits.

That hunt trains most work, even cross-world, is genuinely amazing to me.

I have so many screenshots with the camera turned around to see the horde of players flying to the next spot.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Strap in for some rage on launch day from people who didn't know this was coming:

"The database must be overwritten to implement the downscaling of values. As a result, any EXP accumulated between levels prior to 6.0 release will be reset to 0.
    All classes and jobs, retainers and Trust NPCs will be affected."

Almost to 80? Your XP is back at just hit 79. Got 3 crafting jobs 75% to the next level? They're all 0% to the next level now!

oof. I didn't see that.

There will be teeth gnashing, but honestly it's not that much of a setback. Especially 79-80 since I'm assuming the "legacy" XP buff (my term) probably will include 79 to 80.

Apropos of nothing, I may just unlock FSH and BTN since they are the only ones I can't casually buy stuff off MB to level.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I doubt that 6.1 would be anywhere near as early as February. Historically, the time between x.0 and x.1 has been 112 days, 143 days, 116 days and 123 days. Extrapolating that range forward from December 3rd would put 6.1 at somewhere between March 25th and April 25th. A 6.1 in February would be extraordinarily early. It's quite possible that they want to target the data center expansion tasks to happen outside of the content patch schedule so they can put it in without having to worry about it breaking a whole bunch of other stuff that people are trying to rush to do on new content day.

• Options
    I am basically expecting delays on every target date they set due to the problems they're having.
    I think if they need to stretch out their content schedule a few months more to avoid crunching they definitely should, I get the sense they're definitely crunching right now and will be right through release.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Construction and setup of a new data center should be an entirely separate thing from the rest of content development, though. There shouldn't be a scenario in which network engineers in Australia would be affected by anything the content patch dev team does. Now, they could fall behind on their February estimate, sure, but "the problems they're having" probably aren't of a sort that would spill out and all the way over there. I'm fairly certain they've already baked in known difficulties with international travel to that estimate, as well as difficulties procuring hardware, which has been a known quantity for months as well. Yoshida's explanation was regarding content, where he wanted to fine-tune this and spend more time on that and all of a sudden whoops this added up to cut into the allotted quality check time and they're not going to rush that part.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah I went to get food last night and then went to bed and this morning I had to work so I'll address the first post issue when I get home.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finished with the old thread, it can be relocked now.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    i love Eureka

I have no idea why

the gameplay is mindless, the content isn't varied, the rewards are purely cosmetic, and achieving anything takes enormous amounts of time.

But I just love it. It reminds me of the Legion assault levelling from the Legion prepatch, back in early 2016 at the end of WOD. Dozens or hundreds of people swarming to objectives, working on them together.

I think it's really interesting how something that is just objectively boring content can be quite enjoyable and thrilling when you have a good community of people doing it and helping each other. A random healer will cross half a zone to rez someone who died to avoid them having to take an XP down hit from releasing. People will actively wait multiple minutes after spawning a Fate to let others come to it before they pull. In theory, Korthia should have had the same feeling, but WoW's entire lack of collective positive community collaboration means that it was instead a stressful dash everywhere, hoping to get to a rare that popped before everyone blew it up.

Eureka didn't do it for me but Bozja absolutely did. There's some seriously cool battles that happen there.

• Options
    I'm seriously starting to hate the dye system, just a little bit.

Being able to dye armor is great, but the fact that dyes need to be in your immediate inventory to use, and the fact that you can only dye items on your glamor plates while interacting with the glamour dresser, AND the fact that, the dye interface doesn't even display that you HAVE a dye unless its in your direct inventory, and the fact that there are SO MANY different versions of dyes, including a lot of 'duplicates of the same color, one version for in-game, one version for cash shop' just leads to a lot of annoying back and forth between inventory, retainer, merchant/crafting, and glamour plate. Just a lot of weird back-and-forth for what should be a pretty mundane task

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I think all red mage glams should have shades on

as a healer, I really appreciate that all their hard work gets me more commendations, and I am sure to toss them one from time to time.

• Options

Being able to dye armor is great, but the fact that dyes need to be in your immediate inventory to use, and the fact that you can only dye items on your glamor plates while interacting with the glamour dresser, AND the fact that, the dye interface doesn't even display that you HAVE a dye unless its in your direct inventory, and the fact that there are SO MANY different versions of dyes, including a lot of 'duplicates of the same color, one version for in-game, one version for cash shop' just leads to a lot of annoying back and forth between inventory, retainer, merchant/crafting, and glamour plate. Just a lot of weird back-and-forth for what should be a pretty mundane task

As a system, WoW's transmog has FFXIV's glamour beaten.

The actual options the game gives you to work with are far better in FFXIV, of course, but WoW makes actually using them a lot nicer.

• Options

The actual options the game gives you to work with are far better in FFXIV, of course, but WoW makes actually using them a lot nicer.

They're definitely on opposite ends of the spectrum, but honestly, I'm not sure which I prefer. It's definitely more acutely frustrating to go through the motions of 'oh that person has a cool glamour...I wish I had the spare space for the items!'

I think FF14 just has a LOT of incredibly impactful database issues, that's causing a ton of friction between design ambitions and design execution, that can be felt in pretty much every avenue of the game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

They're definitely on opposite ends of the spectrum, but honestly, I'm not sure which I prefer. It's definitely more acutely frustrating to go through the motions of 'oh that person has a cool glamour...I wish I had the spare space for the items!'

I think FF14 just has a LOT of incredibly impactful database issues, that's causing a ton of friction between design ambitions and design execution, that can be felt in pretty much every avenue of the game.

Absolutely. They've been open that there's technical issues getting in the way of things they'd like to do, which you can probably blame on 1.0 and the rapid rebuild of the whole game for ARR.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they alluded that they're hoping to have something to say about that around 6.1...but i suspect it's just going to be "we have an extra 100 slots in the dresser for everyone"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

There is a minuscule variety of good looks in WoW and if you don’t like OTT huge-shoulder armor the variety plummets from there. I would pay money for either game to get the quality of the other but I’d pay so much more for WoW to get XIV’s look variety.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if we're lucky the 'spare no expense' going forward includes some redos of these barely functional systems

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    let me put a tauren in the omega-m bodysuit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    i love Eureka

I have no idea why

WoW community vs FFXIV community is a really good example of how game mechanics can affect community. WoW is known for having a toxic community, and a lot of this has to do with how WoW is ultimately designed as a competitive game. From the faction system to the Race to World First to even how mob tagging and gathering nodes work. WoW is a game where seeing other people out in the world makes your life more difficult, and that mindset influences how the community operates. FFXIV, on the other hand, is designed such that more players makes things easier, not harder. Yes, there's competitive elements to the game, but they tend not to be promoted as heavily as the cooperative elements are. The pressures in WoW that would disincentivize helpfulness and courtesy just don't exist in FFXIV. And that creates a mindset that affects the larger community.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Few friends and I discovered /groundsit

zeiprl304ypo.png

• Options
    ve3f1ywupork.png

things you dont want to see when zoning into an E9S pug

This discussion has been closed.