As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wheel of Time Turns [show only]

CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
edited December 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's kind of awkwardly late into the season but I know people have been requesting a show only thread so let's see how this goes.

Please use this thread to talk about the show solely within the context of the show. Comparisons to book depictions or chatter about what's been shifted/dropped should go into the other thread .

Spoilers for current episode.

On mobile but I'll try to flesh this out here in a bit.

Carpy on

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd like to know what the big plan is for the Dark One (Episode 7):
    Rand can't even channel on command, what's he going to do? Scowl to victory? Also seems odd they snuck away- Lan would have felt the bond being masked, no?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd like to know what the big plan is for the Dark One (Episode 7):
    Rand can't even channel on command, what's he going to do? Scowl to victory? Also seems odd they snuck away- Lan would have felt the bond being masked, no?

Ep 7
    Pretty sure Lan had more pressing things to concentrate on when she did the masking.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Carpy

Can you put something in the OP regarding if this thread is open spoilers or not?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Overall I enjoyed Episode 7 a lot. Was good to see how the opening tied in with the rest.

One of my complaints with this show, which may just be a budget thing, is how small these places feel. Where ever they went in this episode felt like a hut and a couple of corridors. They don’t give a good idea of the scale and scope of these places - they feel extremely limited.

We can’t all have the budget to shoot in an actual ancient city, but it sure does help.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ep7:
    When I watched the pilot, I was like, "Oh, the Dragon is going to be the bland thrift store Anakin dude."

Then the show gradually gave me hope that it was one of the more interesting characters.

But nope, it's thrift store Anakin.

I still really enjoy the show, but I was hoping for more of a subversion of the trope.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Can you put something in the OP regarding if this thread is open spoilers or not?

I had something but it was at the end of a paragraph. Gave it it's own line so hopefully a little more noticable. I went current episode since that's what the other thread was doing but I'm happy to go open show spoilers if people would prefer it.

• Options
    Ep7:
    When I watched the pilot, I was like, "Oh, the Dragon is going to be the bland thrift store Anakin dude."

Then the show gradually gave me hope that it was one of the more interesting characters.

I still really enjoy the show, but I was hoping for more of a subversion of the trope.

I agree with this as well, but at least everyone seems to be important in some way.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    @Sleep - Update to my previous show-only predictions (I suck at the literacy).
    Damn it.

I thought without Mat that Voltron might have still assembled, just like, missing an arm. So, no sword.

I forgive the writers - sort of. Rand having the most badass Mom in that universe is p. great.

Also, still a little hopeful for Voltron given the fabric talk from the bartender.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Not gonna be commenting in here, but glad there's a separate place for you guys and I'm guessing I'll enjoy READING this thread more.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    +-
    Damn it.

I thought without Mat that Voltron might have still assembled, just like, missing an arm. So, no sword.

I forgive the writers - sort of. Rand having the most badass Mom in that universe is p. great.

Also, still a little hopeful for Voltron given the fabric talk from the bartender.

I too was hoping for this, but it appears that:
    Matt's actor had to bugger off and was not able to continue with the show for whatever reason?

I rather assume that they wanted to keep the idea of the multi-headed Dragon going, but got forced into changing their plans when the actor had to depart early and couldn't manage to stay with the show. I do wonder if they are going to end up recasting him or something similar for Season 2, but it might not work out too well unless they have some sort of explanation for why.

So far I have enjoyed the show mostly on its own merits. Where it fails, as with so much fantasy prestige TV, is when I compare it to Game of Thrones brilliant early seasons. Packed with careful characterization, a lack of rushing from event A to B and taking time to explain to the audience why things are important were foundations of Game of Thrones success. There was also that tangible sense of scale that Game of Thrones nailed, with White Run as a simple example, feeling like a big and very real place. You don't get that out of anything in Wheel of Time so far. A good example of this problem was the most recent episode:
    The blight. There was no real good explanation for what it was initially or even just a "Show don't tell" thing, but I had Dragon Age in my head for it and thought it was an army of trolloc like monsters or similar. Turns out it's a bunch of... extremely weird trees? I honestly thought it was an invading army of some sort, not a bunch of weird ass trees?

Also the whole thing with Perrin and a love triangle that doesn't seem to have been implied or set up much at all. It seemed constructed out of nowhere to create random drama for a single scene and then everyone more or less promptly ceases to care about its existence. Guy has wolf eyes and can summon wolves to murder people, he honestly should be a more interesting character than this.

I did really like the opening of Episode 7 and it's nice they can do some great and effective action scenes when they want to. Hopefully whoever coordinated that scene comes back and does future battles/fights, because outside of the Trolloc attack there haven't really been any really interesting engagements in the show. I go back to the Episode where Logain's "army" attacks and the entire scene felt like about 5 guys in a forest running around, as opposed to being a genuinely overwhelming force. It did not feel like the only thing holding them back was the superior magic compared to the large numbers. Actually, the Trolloc Horde felt more like an army than that lot - they were like a raiding force in feeling at best.

Logain did at least show how powerful male channelers are and convey why they are a threat - only being beaten by a surprise "I am the one" sort of affair.

I'm still holding most of my opinions back for Episode 8 and I like to give a show at least it's first season to completion for most of my criticism. I am enjoying it - I don't tend to waste a lot of time on things I dislike anymore - but I'm not convinced I'm invested enough to watch a second season at the moment.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Episode 7 really seemed like I was watching a show made by two different companies.

Anything with fighting was a full on HBO GoT/ bloodfest. And any of the romance/intergroup dynamics was a CW show with a bunch of 27 year-olds playing "high schoolers".

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    +-
    Damn it.

I too was hoping for this, but it appears that:
    Matt's actor had to bugger off and was not able to continue with the show for whatever reason?

I rather assume that they wanted to keep the idea of the multi-headed Dragon going, but got forced into changing their plans when the actor had to depart early and couldn't manage to stay with the show. I do wonder if they are going to end up recasting him or something similar for Season 2, but it might not work out too well unless they have some sort of explanation for why.

So far I have enjoyed the show mostly on its own merits. Where it fails, as with so much fantasy prestige TV, is when I compare it to Game of Thrones brilliant early seasons. Packed with careful characterization, a lack of rushing from event A to B and taking time to explain to the audience why things are important were foundations of Game of Thrones success. There was also that tangible sense of scale that Game of Thrones nailed, with White Run as a simple example, feeling like a big and very real place. You don't get that out of anything in Wheel of Time so far. A good example of this problem was the most recent episode:
    The blight. There was no real good explanation for what it was initially or even just a "Show don't tell" thing, but I had Dragon Age in my head for it and thought it was an army of trolloc like monsters or similar. Turns out it's a bunch of... extremely weird trees? I honestly thought it was an invading army of some sort, not a bunch of weird ass trees?

Also the whole thing with Perrin and a love triangle that doesn't seem to have been implied or set up much at all. It seemed constructed out of nowhere to create random drama for a single scene and then everyone more or less promptly ceases to care about its existence. Guy has wolf eyes and can summon wolves to murder people, he honestly should be a more interesting character than this.

I did really like the opening of Episode 7 and it's nice they can do some great and effective action scenes when they want to. Hopefully whoever coordinated that scene comes back and does future battles/fights, because outside of the Trolloc attack there haven't really been any really interesting engagements in the show. I go back to the Episode where Logain's "army" attacks and the entire scene felt like about 5 guys in a forest running around, as opposed to being a genuinely overwhelming force. It did not feel like the only thing holding them back was the superior magic compared to the large numbers. Actually, the Trolloc Horde felt more like an army than that lot - they were like a raiding force in feeling at best.

Logain did at least show how powerful male channelers are and convey why they are a threat - only being beaten by a surprise "I am the one" sort of affair.

I'm still holding most of my opinions back for Episode 8 and I like to give a show at least it's first season to completion for most of my criticism. I am enjoying it - I don't tend to waste a lot of time on things I dislike anymore - but I'm not convinced I'm invested enough to watch a second season at the moment.

Ep 7 Perrin
    It feels a lot of his arc ended on the cutting room floor. There's hints of his feelings towards Egwene scattered through the whole season: the weirdness with him and Leila at/after Egwene's braid ceremony, he's staring daggers at Egwene and Aram whenever they're on screen together, he's probably glaring at Rand during the lead up to the bat scene but I'd have to go back and verify.

It just all feels like there was more there and then they got told to scale back and this part of his arc was a chunk of what got cut.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Yeah I feel Perrin has really been done somewhat dirty by the show. He starts his arc off murdering his wife and then spending all his time after his friends girlfriend? It’s really incoherent and Episode 7 made it especially feel that way.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I had something but it was at the end of a paragraph. Gave it it's own line so hopefully a little more noticable. I went current episode since that's what the other thread was doing but I'm happy to go open show spoilers if people would prefer it.

Whoops, I don't read so good, sorry.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    It’s not really a spoiler, but yes they have recast Mat starting with Season 2 after the S1 actor Barney Harris left the show before they returned to filming after their COVID break. He will be played by Donal Finn.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ep7:

They did themselves no favours on this account (Ep 7)
    by literally giving the character almost nothing to do till now.

It feels like they were trying so hard to hide what was gonna happen from those familiar with the structure of these kind of stories that they didn't even let him have distinctive character traits.

Other then I guess "wants Egwene" and even that was copied by another character.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Ep7:

They did themselves no favours on this account (Ep 7)
    by literally giving the character almost nothing to do till now.

It feels like they were trying so hard to hide what was gonna happen from those familiar with the structure of these kind of stories that they didn't even let him have distinctive character traits.

Other then I guess "wants Egwene" and even that was copied by another character.
    We did get Rand being stubborn as a goat and being the designated Argue With Moiraine character

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I've already started collecting memes and fanart.
    My favorite so far.
    53jgbxduaed5.jpg
    edit: The tweeter of that one was Priyanka Bose, who played Alanna.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm glad memes are getting out there - for some reason I use that as a measure of how well a show is going

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That scene gave me strong Order of the Stick vibes
    xvr3udqjdfsv.gif

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I mean, of course it was Rand. Disappointing, but he's the white guy with bone structure and a special sword. I figured this from the start

Overall, a decent episode. Wondering how the hell they wrap this up in one episode, though.

• Options
    8 episodes doesn’t feel enough. It really needed 10 and some room to breathe/show.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I've been looking forward to the show, and like it overall, but agree with a criticism above re: it rushing things and not really giving a sense of scale or explanation. I've read the books, I watch with a few friends who haven't, and there are so many times when I end up clarifying things or adding more detail that's just not touched on in the show.

It feels like the writers have no idea how long the series is going to last, so they're trying to keep the show relatively tight. Characters or organizations are introduced less as a critical piece of a large tapestry, with their own rich histories, and more as kind of an interesting set piece for an episode. See the Tinkers and the Whitecloaks. The Tinkers gave Perrin and Egwene something to do for an episode, they drive some character growth, we get some background on them but mostly just enough to give Perrin something to think about--and it wouldn't be at all surprising if they never or seldom appeared again in the series. The Whitecloaks served as secondary antagonists and a minor threat along the way, we know they don't like Aes Sedai (but is this really explained in the show? it feels like Valda is evil for the sake of being evil, with a mostly unexplained religious zealotry serving as justification). There hasn't been closure to that story, but it also feels like they don't even have their own story yet despite a decent amount of screen time.

There's a lot there, though. My hope is that the problems are ultimately just the writers having so much source material, but only eight episodes to present a fairly self-contained first season and justification for more seasons. But at this point they know they'll get at least two more seasons, so they have more of a chance to take their time.

Edit:
    8 episodes doesn’t feel enough. It really needed 10 and some room to breathe/show.

I had a similar line in my post that I took out right before posting :). It'd work better with 10 episode seasons. If funding wasn't a concern, 12 episodes would probably be ideal.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    Yeah, Amazon execs axed a plan for the season that had 3 additional hours (2 hour pilot + 2 episodes). COVID and Barney Harris' disappearance both put huge roadblocks in production. A lot of the rest can probably be as you said them trying to find a balance between creating a rich world and laying groundwork for seasons that may not come to be, and creating a season that should it be the last is satisfying. Hopefully with the reception it's been getting Amazon gets more confidence in the property and lets it do as well as The Expanse did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want a Director's Cut of the first season, and I want execs to get out of the way and let them expand the following seasons.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I want a Director's Cut of the first season, and I want execs to get out of the way and let them expand the following seasons.

Given the strong viewerships, there’s a good chance for longer seasons and better production values moving forward.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I have two thoughts on Matt being left behind. I don’t know what had been filmed prior to the production break due to COVID, but if he wasn’t going to be able to finish the season, it is a reasonable place for him to disappear. If he is going to be in the next episode, my guess is that
    he follows Padin Fain through The Ways. People were saying that Fain was in Tar Valon a couple episodes ago, so he’d have had to enter The Ways through the same gate. If that is the case, it’s possible that Matt spotted and followed him.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    I have two thoughts on Matt being left behind. I don’t know what had been filmed prior to the production break due to COVID, but if he wasn’t going to be able to finish the season, it is a reasonable place for him to disappear. If he is going to be in the next episode, my guess is that
    he follows Padin Fain through The Ways. People were saying that Fain was in Tar Valon a couple episodes ago, so he’d have had to enter The Ways through the same gate. If that is the case, it’s possible that Matt spotted and followed him.
    Given how quickly he's in the city after they arrive (Perrin spots him seemingly on like the first day they arrive or the next) presumably he went in like right after they did. So yeah, there's a good chance Mat was still right there.

• Options
    Given how quickly he's in the city after they arrive (Perrin spots him seemingly on like the first day they arrive or the next) presumably he went in like right after they did. So yeah, there's a good chance Mat was still right there.

I might need to rewatch the episode but:
    Was it actually Matt that Perrin sees? I must be failing to pay attention because I thought he saw someone else

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I might need to rewatch the episode but:
    Was it actually Matt that Perrin sees? I must be failing to pay attention because I thought he saw someone else

No
    He said that he thought he saw Padan Fain, and then is told that's impossible because Padan Fain was there for Bel Tine and must be dead.

• Options
    That's a relief. I was worried I had gone mad for a second there. I thought that is who he was referring to, but I wasn't sure if I missed
    some shot of Mat or something that had been established earlier/later

• Options
    edited December 2021
    @Eat it You Nasty Pig. This one's the show only thread. The other thread was getting to be nothing but book related spoiler tags and now that's there's two threads we've largely dispensed with the tags.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah super for real if you haven't read the books don't go in the other thread.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    The other thread was getting to be nothing but book related spoiler tags

And a really stupid argument about veils.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Not to mention the laundry lists of the way that the show has apparently regularly defiled the memory of Robert Jordan by ruining everything.

I'm much happier with a thread that at least considers the show on its own and maybe doesn't have a ton of people who are just in for the long hate-watch

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

Not to mention the laundry lists of the way that the show has apparently regularly defiled the memory of Robert Jordan by ruining everything.

I'm much happier with a thread that at least considers the show on its own and maybe doesn't have a ton of people who are just in for the long hate-watch

Hey, maybe if you've got something to say just say it to the people in question instead of trying to talk behind their backs in the other thread?

Like, ffs, the point of this thread is not to be a treehouse for some posters in the other thread.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This thread is for the show, not complaining about the other thread.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So here's a question for the show only thread with the finale episode this week.

Do you think a major character will die in the season finale?

If so who and why?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    He actually appeared in the Ways briefly after the Trolloc while they are running from Machin Shin during on of the lightning strikes