As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Ends Up In The Doomsday Bunker

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
The bombs have fallen. The storms have come. The earthquakes have shaken and the nuclear winter is here.

But you have foreseen all of this, and over the last year have developed a communal doomsday bunker with your friends & family (as well as anyone else you believed you could cohabitate with for 15-20 years). You were put in charge of curating entertainment & media for the bunker.

Each day I'm going to post a prompt based on the situation above and we'll have a discourse over what would be the six best items to stock within the proposed genre/category.

Some conditions:
-- Presume you have enough monitors/television, game consoles, computers, and/or accessories for you & others to fully utilize your choice(s).
-- Once the doomsday bunker is sealed, you no longer have access to the internet in any capacity. But you can setup local-area-networks and you can have downloaded any mods/DLC/expansion packs for any game.
-- Compilations are acceptable, but they have to have come in one actual game (cartridge, disc, ect). So Super Mario Bros All-Stars would work, but Star Wars: The Best of PC wouldn't work as it was a series of separate discs in its box.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today's first genre/category is: Action & Horror Video Games

Action-Games.png

What six action and/or horror video games do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you favoring a great experience over replayability? Are you looking for something that has a terrific single-player experience or something that your bunker community will be able to enjoy together at once via multiplayer?

I'll give a heads up that shooters (vehicle-based shooters, first-person shooters, & third-person shooters will all be given their own future genre/categorty), so don't feel pressured to have to include any of them here.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    1. Omori
    2. OFF
    3. Bloodborne
    4. Shadow of the Colossus
    5. Resident Evil 4
    6. Portal 2

Justifications upon request.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    if these are the only games we're ever getting then i think high replayability is a must, which means either multiplayer or single-player games with so much depth that you can basically never fully exhaust what they have to offer

I'd go with

Halo Master Chief Collection: a whole bunch of great games with both co-op and versus multiplayer. Could make co-opping through the campaigns a special occasion thing that you only break out, say, once a year, and rotate through each game so you only hit a repeat once every six years.

Super Mario Maker: Do platformers count as action games here? The level designer means we can always churn out more content for everyone, and at some point we can all spend a couple years becoming mario speedrun pros.

Rocket League: simple and straightforward but with a high skill ceiling. It'll get dull eventually because everything will get dull eventually, but it would take a while, in the same way it'd take a while for you to become fully sick of playing catch.

Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition: you got nothin' but time to grind out those 1-frame links.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX: kind of just the purest video game that there is. I'm a little worried about it not having as much longevity as some of the others, but there's definitely a lot there for just grinding out perfect scores on every stage

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: huge roster of characters, fairly high skill ceiling, supports up to 8 players, and has a stage builder to inject a little more freshness into it.

I didn't end up including any horror games because i think most horror games are gonna suffer pretty badly from the longevity issue; horror games are usually on the shorter side and once you see the scares a couple times they lose their power. Some Resident Evils are pretty replayable if you're going for high difficulties/perfect playthroughs/speedruns or whatever, but i dunno if they're replayable enough. I could see the case for dropping Pac-Man for RE4 though.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fighting games aren't action games i'm going tofight you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    fighting games aren't action games i'm going tofight you

what's an action game then

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm pretty locked into three of my five, for this particular category:
    #1. Worms Armageddon
    - Year: 1999
    - Producer: Team 17
    - System(s): Microsoft Windows, Dreamcast, PlayStation, Game Boy Color, & Nintendo 64
    - Completion: 25 hours

Summary: This turn-based action-strategy game is a standalone expansion to Worms 2, introducing extensive improvements and additions over the original game, such as: new single player campaigns, challenges, & schemes, as well as expanded map editor (included voice bank editor) and new multiplayer options (including a more elaborate WormNET lobby).

#2. Mega Man Anniversary Collection
    - Year: 2004
    - Producer: Atomic Planet/Capcom
    - System(s): GameCube, PlayStation 2, & Xbox
    - Completion: 29 hours

Summary: This compilation edition of the Blue Bomber celebrates Mega Man 1-8, as well as two arcade games that were never before released in America (Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters). Each game in the series follows Mega Man as he battles against Dr. Wily and his robot henchmen. As players complete the games, new unlockables will become available, revealing history and artwork of Mega Man's past adventures.

#6. Red Dead Redemption 2
    - Year: 2018
    - Producer: Rockstar Games
    - System(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation Now, Stadia, Windows, & Xbox One
    - Completion: 346 hours

Summary: An action-adventure set in 1899 following the exploits of outlaw Arthur Morgan, a member of the Van der Linde gang, in a fictionalized representation of the Western, Midwestern, and Southern United States. Arthur must deal with the decline of the Wild West whilst attempting to survive against government forces, rival gangs, and other adversaries. Gameplay elements include shootouts, heists, hunting, horseback riding, interacting with non-player characters, and maintaining the character's honor rating through moral choices and deeds.

I'm leaning towards LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for my fourth game as I think its a pretty solid all-ages affair with a lot of easy, bonus content (the 180+ characters).

• Options
    like i'm not being contrarian i'm just not sure what the boundaries are here

• Options
    @Speed Racer, basically every single one of your games would end up in a future genre/category (fighting, platformer, shooter, sports).

But hey, its your doomsday bunker.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Arkham Asylum
    Left 4 Dead
    Smash Bros Ultimate
    Diablo 2
    Sekiro
    Hades (I'm calling this an action game but can concede it is a roguelike if you think it deserves that category instead of being in both)

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    "Speed Racer", basically every single one of your games would end up in a future genre/category (fighting, platformer, shooter, sports).

But hey, its your doomsday bunker.

sure but it seems like at least two of yours would too, worms is a strategy game and mega man is a platformer

seems hard to avoid genre overlap here

• Options
    I'll spoil it, as I want to focus on a prompt per day, but here are the video game genres I am going to slowly pour our during this thread:
    -- Action & Horror
    -- Arcade/Puzzle/Simulation
    -- Brawling (Beat ‘Em Up/Fighting)
    -- Exploration (Adventure/Platformer)
    -- Fitness/Music/Party
    -- Racing/Sports
    -- RPG/Strategy
    -- Shooter

• Options
    Me and the boys.
    dzbjlss1pizf.jpeg
    12en9bb51lah.jpeg
    jy5883aqsypy.jpeg
    k3pm0rzja6bj.jpeg
    wbrqcwthgk11.jpeg
    xpko68pc0sb4.jpeg

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Alright, so if it's going to be six games in Action / Horror for the rest of my communities life then it's got to have massive replayability or multiplayer options. Ideally, both. But, without internet access you don't have Red Dead Redemption 2 multiplayer or Grand Theft Auto 5 multiplayer which would be great additions.

I'm really struggling to remember action / horror games that had local coop.

Hades. I think it's the most impressive union of game design, art, music, acting, writing, and while not infinite replayability, there is a lot going on here.

Batman Arkham City - There is so much shit in this game in addition to a ton of DLC with new characters and that whole combat challenge mode would keep you entertained for a long time. It's just Arkham Asylum, but more and better.

What was the name of that game where you could build and destroy buildings on Mars? Red Faction or something? Whatever the best version of that was in the franchise was really popular around here for a while.

Horror is a lot harder to pick for since once you've played a horror game the jig is up, right?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I didn't end up including any horror games because i think most horror games are gonna suffer pretty badly from the longevity issue; horror games are usually on the shorter side and once you see the scares a couple times they lose their power. Some Resident Evils are pretty replayable if you're going for high difficulties/perfect playthroughs/speedruns or whatever, but i dunno if they're replayable enough. I could see the case for dropping Pac-Man for RE4 though.

I have been thinking on this and, yeah, I can't really pin down any horror game that has impeccable replay value?

If Dead By Daylight had LAN capabilities I think that would be a fun choice (your bunker community could have a fun time once a month with it).

My other idea for horror is something like this:

673643.jpg

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    k3pm0rzja6bj.jpeg

Wots this

• Options
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    1. F.E.A.R.
    2. Resident Evil 2 (OG or Remake)
    3. System Shock 2
    4. Doom 2016
    5. Killing Floor
    6. Prey

sig.gif
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Left 4 Dead 2 is really the only game I can think of off-hand that meets an action/horror blend requirement with enough replayability to last years in a bunker.

I mean if this stuff is all you've got for 15-20 years, it NEEDS to have some mutability to it.

I don't really know of any single-player title that wouldn't get stale after 300 runs over ten years.

Unless it was a "creative" sort of single-player title like Minecraft/Terraria/Satisfactory.

I guess Terraria or Minecraft could be considered action/horror titles if you look at them in the right light.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Just a palllet of peanut butter and a copy of The Lord of the Rings.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to see your magnificently sculpted scale model of Minas Tirith done exclusively in peanut butter, Sarukun

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    That peanut butter is for eatin' and jerkin' it, thank you very much.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'll do some combo of modestly low power requirements and high replayability

StarCraft, or Age of Empires II
    Quake III, or UT2004
    Counter-Strike Source
    Minecraft
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    Street Fighter III

Honorable mentions go to Left 4 Dead and/or L4D2, and whichever Gears of War has the best offline local co-op (probably 3 if you have an infinitely reliable XBOX 360 in the bunker)

• Options
    Today's genre/category is: Action Movies

Best-Action-Movies-of-All-Time-Featured.jpg

What six action movies do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you favoring a classic, defining film in the genre or something you know a group of folks can enjoy year after year? Are you going to try to split up your picks by leading actor or director, or will your list be entirely James Cameron?

I'll give a heads up that martial arts & superheroes films will be given their own separate days, so don't feel pressured to have to include any of them here.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Mad Max: Fury Road - one of my favorite movies ever, nearly infinitely rewatchable

Aliens - I maintain that it's more of a thriller than a true action film but, still, that's where it resides in the pop culture lexicon

Pacific Rim - the best Western tokusatsu/Mecha anime we're ever going to get, frankly

Die Hard - You know this one

District 9 - also in that horror/sci-fi/thriller zone with Aliens but when it pops off, oh my goodness does it go hard

Predator - a subversion of the '80s Cold War action flick that also transcends it. Better than any Terminator movie besides 2, and yet I'd still I'd rather watch this than 2 for some reason

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. Batman (1966)
    3. Princess Mononoke
    4. Get Carter
    5. Hot Fuzz
    6. The Raid

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'll do some combo of modestly low power requirements and high replayability

StarCraft, or Age of Empires II
    Quake III, or UT2004
    Counter-Strike Source
    Minecraft
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    Street Fighter III

Honorable mentions go to Left 4 Dead and/or L4D2, and whichever Gears of War has the best offline local co-op (probably 3 if you have an infinitely reliable XBOX 360 in the bunker)

This has got me wondering about user created content. AoE2 has a very robust map designer built into the game that allows you to basically make whatever you want provided the art assets are there. What about WC3, where the map designer is a separate program, but is even more powerful? What about modding? For some games all you need to make an amazing mod (again, outside of art) is the ability to modify .txt documents. How much you're allowed to create content for your games that you bring in could make a pretty big difference in what I'd bring.

I have no real input on today's topic because I rarely watch movies more than once.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I think for myself I would choose these six action films:
    #1. Lethal Weapon
    - Director(s): Richard Donner
    - Year: 1987
    - Runtime: 109 minutes
    - Summary: Two newly paired cops who are complete opposites must put aside their differences in order to catch a gang of drug smugglers.

#2. Die Hard
    - Director(s): John McTiernan
    - Year: 1988
    - Runtime: 132 minutes
    - Summary: An NYPD officer tries to save his wife and several others taken hostage by German terrorists during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles.

#3. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    - Director(s): James Cameron
    - Year: 1991
    - Runtime: 137 minutes
    - Summary: A cyborg, identical to the one who failed to kill Sarah Connor, must now protect her ten year old son, John Connor, from a more advanced and powerful cyborg.

#4. Mission Impossible III
    - Director(s): J.J. Abrams
    - Year: 2006
    - Runtime: 126 minutes
    - Summary: IMF agent Ethan Hunt comes into conflict with a dangerous and sadistic arms dealer who threatens his life and his fiancée in response.

#5. Fast Five
    - Director(s): Justin Lin
    - Year: 2011
    - Runtime: 130 minutes
    - Summary: Dominic Toretto and his crew of street racers plan a massive heist to buy their freedom while in the sights of a powerful Brazilian drug lord and a dangerous federal agent.

#6. Mad Max: Fury Road
    - Director(s): George Miller
    - Year: 2015
    - Runtime: 120 minutes
    - Summary: In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, a woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in search for her homeland with the aid of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshiper, and a drifter named Max.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Pacific Rim
    T2
    Aliens
    Face/Off
    Demolition Man (I could change this with Die Hard With a Vengeance depending on the day, probably)

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Pacific Rim
    T2
    Aliens
    Face/Off
    Demolition Man (I could change this with Die Hard With a Vengeance depending on the day, probably)

I think this will be one of my choices for when the Sci-Fi genre comes up down the road.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The only thing you need in a doomsday bunker is either Brendan Fraser or John Goodman, depending on what sort of direction you’re going with this apocalypse.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Pacific Rim
    T2
    Aliens
    Face/Off

I think this will be one of my choices for when the Sci-Fi genre comes up down the road.

Somehow a movie with both Denis Leary and Rob Schneider ends up in one of my top 20 lists. It's kind of inexplicable.

But Wesley Snipes is absolutely incredible in Demolition Man, holy shit. His diet during filming must have been nothing but scenery.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I will take six copies of Goldfinger, on laserdisc.

• Options
    I will take six copies of Goldfinger, on laserdisc.

Can't wait for these to become quest treasure 50 years after the doomsday bunkers get swarmed by the dire-rats.

• Options
    Today's genre/category is: Western Animated TV Shows

RT_ESSENTIAL_TV-ANIMATION_600x314.jpg

What six western-produced animated TV shows do you choose for your communal doomsday bunker?

Are you leaning towards something incredibly long (say, The Simpsons) or a critical darling that while shorter may have value in repeated viewings over the years (sg: BoJack Horseman)? Are you going to try to split up your picks by genre within the animated field, or will your list be entirely animated sitcoms?

I'll give a heads up that anime TV shows will be given their own separate day, so don't feel pressured to have to include any of them here.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    In no particular order:

Batman: The Animated Series

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Castlevania

Kim Possible

Bob's Burgers - Because I've never seen it so at least I've got something new to look forward to when the world ends.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Action Movies, since I hadn't posted that one yet.
    1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. Point Break
    3. Terminator 2
    4. Fast and Furious 5
    5. Jurassic Park, if that falls under action
    5. The Matrix, if not.

Western Animation
    1. Avatar: The Last Airbender
    2. The Legend of Korra
    3. Batman: The Animated Series
    4. Transformers (G1)
    5. ReBoot

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I have Avatar: the Last Airbender on my short list but my hesitation in locking it in is its length.

Its a short TV show by comparison to others! But, also, its amazing...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The Simpsons
    Bob's Burgers
    Despite loving the Transformers I don't think I've ever seen the whole series front-to-back, maybe that.
    Whatever the best DC animated series is, I tried to watch some of Batman TAS a while ago and it was a bit too slow/kiddie for me, but that could be early-episode shakiness.
    Invincible
    Archer

• Options
    edited January 2022
    The three western animated TV shows I can confidently lock-in for myself are:
    #1. Batman: The Animated Series
    - Year(s): 1992 – 1995
    - Seasons/Episodes: 3 seasons; 85 episodes
    - Summary: The Dark Knight battles crime in Gotham City

#2. King of the Hill
    - Year(s): 1997 – 2010
    - Seasons/Episodes: 13 seasons/258 episodes
    - Summary: A straight-laced propane salesman in Arlen, Texas tries to deal with the wacky antics of his family and friends, while also trying to keep his son in line.

#3. Adventure Time
    - Year(s): 2010 – 2018
    - Seasons/Episodes: 10 seasons/289 episodes
    - Summary: A 12-year-old boy and his best friend, a wise 28-year-old dog with magical powers, go on a series of surreal adventures with each other in a remote future.

Zonugal on