As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time homebuying checklist

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
After renting for a number of years, I've toyed with the idea of buying a home... yeah, in this pandemic market its seeming like it's nearly a joke.

I have good credit, a median-ish salary for WA state, I'm wondering what the optimum path is to getting into some property without being completely ripped off.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Dont skimp on home inspection, a little extra up front will save MUCH misery later on

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    After hearing some other stories, how much is too much to put a down payment on? It's important to me to try to keep my monthly payment low, but I want to balance that with the cash I'm putting down. Putting a max of 20% down on a home seems like financial suicide.

The thing is, I'm not sure how much of these old "first time buyer" online advice articles are still relevant post-COVID.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Avoiding an FHA loan can be worth it, just gotta do the math. On the flip side, I understand if you're a veteran there's some good programs available.

But all of that is VERY market dependant. There's homes getting cash offers before they're even listed, no inspection.

So the articles are fine for general advice, but you really need someone who knows the area you're looking to buy in.

Do you want a house ready to move in, or are you willing to do since stuff yourself and maybe save on the initial price?

• Options
    I'm no handyman, so other than cleaning and basic maintenance it'd just be reaching out to friends who know better than I do. I'm certainly willing to learn, but it's just a question of time.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    After hearing some other stories, how much is too much to put a down payment on? It's important to me to try to keep my monthly payment low, but I want to balance that with the cash I'm putting down. Putting a max of 20% down on a home seems like financial suicide.

The thing is, I'm not sure how much of these old "first time buyer" online advice articles are still relevant post-COVID.
    5% down is fine if you can swing it.

See what first time home buyers programs are available in Washington.

In terms of checklist. Getting an inspection by a reputable firm is important, the better firms can cost more money but having 50 pages of deficiencies gives you a strong hand during closing.

Talk to a few loan brokers and banks. It should only hit your credit once to have them all take a look. Loan Brokers are generally more responsive and Knowledgeable about loan programs, banks and credit unions can have better rates or different programs.

zepherin on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    money down is not a bad thing. you are paying interesting on the money you take in a mortgage. even at "low" rates you are paying tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars in interest over a 30 year mortgage

but you need to keep money to maintain your home. 15-20k minimum cash on hand or the ability to comfortably and quickly raise that much money to deal with incidentals is ideal

just recognize this is a rough market for buyers and you'll be paying top dollar no matter what

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    reconnoiter for ghosts

• Options
    The only thing that has me concerned is when people are saying basically that these prices are likely not going away, ever... which is eeeeeh. It'll basically take me a few years at this point to save enough to not have a 2k monthly payment for something decent. But there's no point in doing it if I can't afford mortgage.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    As a Dane I know nothing about the US housing market, but I can imagine three things that are global or close to:
    • Remember that the real estate agent is working for the seller, but even more on for him- or herself. In essence they care about making sales and if doing a discount only a fraction of that comes out of their pocket as it is more about the sellers pocket that gets hurt, for the real estate agent it means a sale done and time to do the next sale.
    • The cost of hiring someone that looks over the papers, checks for hidden bombs and the like costs money. But it is petty cash compared to buying a home and I would say the extra peace of mind is well worth it.
    • Do not spend every last penny. It may be you can make ends meet, but if there is no give in the budget then you risk ending feeling trapped by your home rather than enjoying it. Much better to get something a little more modest and be able to afford a bit extra on the side.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    House buying experiences vary widely, so take this with a helping of salt, but some thoughts: (bought in 2013)

- A good realtor is vital. Find someone who will help you achieve your goals, not theirs. Our first realtor was from a large local group and tried pushing us into any house they could. I dumped them and worked with a woman who helped us find what we were specifically looking for and it was a vastly better experience.
    - FHA loan was great for me as a way to get my foot in the door. I didn’t have much cash and only put down 3.5%. Yes, I had to pay PMI, which IIRC was around $300/mo on a $155,000 loan, but that can be removed later.
    - 30 year mortgages are great to get into a house where you pay rent to yourself instead of a landlord. The real savings, though, is a 15 year mortgage. I initially took a 30 year, and then once my life had stabilized a bit I refinanced to 15 years. My house never skyrocketed in value like some other hot markets did, but a steady 3-4% yearly increase in value meant that between my payments and inflation, I built up enough equity to not need PMI on the refinance. I increased my monthly payment by $150 and am now on track to have my house paid off in 8 years.
    - Inspections are important, but they don’t catch everything. I had to fix a number of small dumb things shortly after moving in. Which ties to my next thought:
    - Things break and you’ll need to fix them. You don’t need to be a professional handyman to deal with most things that fail, but getting comfortable with basic tools and repairs will save you a ton of money over needing to call someone each time. In 9 years I’ve had the following:

- blocked sewer drain, called a plumber ($300)
    - Water heater died, installed myself. ($800)
    - Furnace main fan died, replaced myself. ($300)
    - Furnace exhaust fan died, replaced myself. ($300)
    - Furnace circuit board developed a bad terminal connection and had to be soldered. Fixed it myself for free, but that’s a bit more technical.
    - Lots of assorted smaller stuff: bad light switches, dripping faucets, leaky shower head, etc. All fixable with a few trips to Home Depot and some googling.

Over 9 years that’s not too bad of an expense list. YouTube guides and appliance manuals are tremendously helpful in troubleshooting, and most stuff bolts in fairly easily if you just need to replace parts.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The only thing that has me concerned is when people are saying basically that these prices are likely not going away, ever... which is eeeeeh.

that is a highly speculative statement that nobody can prove. there are many factors related to home prices. its also regional. it might be more challenging to buy a house in Washington, than, say, Detroit...

you should buy a house when you are financially empowered to buy a house at the market rate with a high degree of confidence and not before

the traditional bar of a 20% down payment serves multiple purposes, and among those purposes is to means test the buyer to see if they are financially prepared to buy and maintain a property

you can buy a house with less, but you will be paying substantial penalties for doing so in the form of interest and private mortgage insurance

if you get in touch with a reputable buyers agent, they will quite readily assess your capacity to buy and they can also advise you on the market conditions locally

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The only thing that has me concerned is when people are saying basically that these prices are likely not going away, ever... which is eeeeeh.

that is a highly speculative statement that nobody can prove. there are many factors related to home prices. its also regional. it might be more challenging to buy a house in Washington, than, say, Detroit...

you should buy a house when you are financially empowered to buy a house at the market rate with a high degree of confidence and not before

the traditional bar of a 20% down payment serves multiple purposes, and among those purposes is to means test the buyer to see if they are financially prepared to buy and maintain a property

you can buy a house with less, but you will be paying substantial penalties for doing so in the form of interest and private mortgage insurance

if you get in touch with a reputable buyers agent, they will quite readily assess your capacity to buy and they can also advise you on the market conditions locally

This is great advice.

Re: the regional, Washington state was absolutely on fire *before* Covid when it came to pricing on some bedroom community housing. Tacoma, outskirts of Seattle, and all the small towns in between got just hammered by buyers before 2019.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I didn't do this and have suffered for years.

Go check out the place you want to buy during a heavy rain. Our house looked great. First rain it looked like a swimming pool in the back yard. We had to spend a small fortune improving drainage.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I didn't do this and have suffered for years.

Go check out the place you want to buy during a heavy rain. Our house looked great. First rain it looked like a swimming pool in the back yard. We had to spend a small fortune improving drainage.
    Drainage is huge. My dad always said, don't buy a house where the land slopes towards the house, and back into a parking spot. I don't back into a parking spot, but the land slopes away from my house in all directions. And I don't get water infiltration in my basement when it rains.

I had to replace the roof, but that was known when I purchased the home, and I saved for it. It's a world of difference to know, ok day 1 water heater. Within a year new roof. Within 3 years new Central AC condenser and coolant line.

That is the value of a good inspection. I knew what I needed to save, and when I needed to save it by. Makes it a lot more manageable. Even with a new roof costing 14k.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The market is pretty mean so I would just be prepared to be stressed, but as patient as you can. A good relator will have your back, and should be able to really talk to you about what's possible in your price range and area. The details are super local! For us we had to think about the flood ranges and foundation issues, and really took a hit in size to accommodate what was most important to us (sneaking into the market under 300k, but staying in Austin).

You probably wont be able to get the owner to fix anything in the current market because there is no reason too with everything so hot, so I suggest having enough to also do some quick reno if you have to. If you can get the inspection (we had to wave ours, but our realtor was a duo with a seasoned contractor who helped us spot major issues), focus as much as you can on big costly problems rather than small, fixable details.

We bought super cheap, but we had enough to rip out the carpet and paint everything before we moved in, which made a big difference! I am convinced we won our house because buyers were unable to look past the awful colors the previous owners had up, or the smelly dog carpet. But the house came back with excellent marks everywhere else, other than a pretty old AC unit. Foundation issues run rampant here, so this is a big fucking deal. We walked into some houses that were showing huge cracks or had sunken living rooms with a noticeable bump in the tile where it was shifting. You probably dont want to deal with that kind of thing, if you can avoid it.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Just to give a little color on FHA vs conventional. You can still get a conventional with as low as 3.5-5% down, if you have good credit. If you do qualify, you should absolutely do a conventional. However, I realize that those without excellent credit may only qualify for FHA.

FHA is good in that it allows those without the best credit scores to buy a home without 20% down, but you absolutely pay for it in the long run. Typically you'll be assessed a 5-7% (of purchase price) origination fee that is tacked on to the balance, as well as a monthly MIP (mortgage insurance premium, as opposed to a PMI with conventional). They are the exact same thing, except the FHA MIP payments are typically 3-4x+ more expensive. Typically MIP will be $300-400/mo whereas a PMI for the same loan amount will be $80-120/mo. Additionally, the MIP payment cannot be removed, even if you hit 80% LTV. You will need to refinance to remove it. Refinancing costs are typically 2-6% of the loan amount, so that's something you need to factor in to your overall long-term costs. Again still could be absolutely worth it, but just keep those costs in mind, because your loan officer will likely be a lot more opaque about the true longterm costs (they almost always just message and focus on out-of-pocket costs).