As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Nu [Gundam] thread isn't just for shows!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got up to the first episode of ZZ to feature the ZZ Gundam. That transformation sequence was great! I bet they're gonna reuse the hell out of it!

Also Chara Soon sure is... something...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Got up to the first episode of ZZ to feature the ZZ Gundam. That transformation sequence was great! I bet they're gonna reuse the hell out of it!

Also Chara Soon sure is... something...

She's truly, truly outrageous.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    more like chara too soon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hoping we get an announcement soon for a third series of Gundam Artifact kits... And maybe for it to have something non-UC.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

i am not shelling out 150 dollars for the Big Gun but damn if that isn't a fine looking Big Gun

they also announced a pbandai expansion set for the soon-to-be-released RG god gundam, unfortunately it's just the HG fuunsaiki but the effect parts look neat

lastly we got our first look at the witch from mercury kit boxarts recently and they've got some serious style, very much lookin forward to getting my hands on the lfrith and aerial

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Huh. I haven't built it yet, but I wonder if my big gun does that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    as far as i can tell it's a brand new design, distinct from either the real grade(manga) or the robot spirits(videogame) versions

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    the gun contains no metal parts, despite being a "METAL BUILD" accessory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You know, I should watch that... and yet I can't bring myself to.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Got some more Mecha musume kits out for delivery today: ATK Girls Heracross and Titans. Given they're themed on rhino and stag beetles respectively, I've been considering painting and/or further customizing them on another pair of pint-sized beetle-based robots...

Beetleborgs?!

>_>

I was thinking more...
    ul8ORCz.png

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Looks like USA Gundam Store is having a 10% off sale for anything on their site, including preorders.

Discount code is: Save10

(I know I've supplied discount codes here before, I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, just passing on savings opportunities to my fellow plamo enjoyers.)

• Options
    that sounds like something a DIRTY PLANT would say
    BAKE THEM AWAY, TOYS

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bury me....with.....my.....gunpla.........

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Oooh, so tempting

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mm, dare I cancel and reorder some of the pricey bullshit I have...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I finally got a action base for my real grade rx 78
    pmqp06af60ah.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Bury me....with.....my.....gunpla.........

Dearly beloved, we are here today to mourn IronKnuckle. He stepped on a Lego brick causing him to fall into his shelf of unfinished projects, which fell on him, killing him instantly.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Hey there, gunpla fans. Some of you might remember me from the holiday forum thread, where I threatened myself with the violence that is a couple of Gundam Artifact models (still sitting in box, on my shelf; violence has not yet been applied).

In the interim, for reasons that don't bear explaining, I just received this big boy:
    3WkU74ll.jpg
    (Yes, I realize it's not a Gundam.)

So, umm....I don't know if this is the deep end, but it feels pretty deep to me! That said, I'm hyper excited to somehow steal all the time to build this kit. Before I start though, I come bearing questions:

ADHESIVES: I have Loctite Professional Liquid Super Glue (best super glue I've ever used) and Plastruct Plasti-Weld (for working with raw styrene sheet/rod/forms for general model work). Am I good and use one of these, or should I invest in a particular adhesive for working with this particular kit? What's the best practice recommendation here?

PREPARATION: Do I wash the parts before assembling? I'm so used to other kinds of models where a mold release agent is used, and needs to be washed, I have no clue if that's necessary here or not.

FINISHING: Looking at the kit, it looks like I'll end up having to panel line it. Do you just....use a Tamiya Panel Liner right on the bare plastic? Do you seal it first? I've painted hundreds of hobby models (Warhammer 40k, Battletech, D&D, etc.), but I'm a little stumped where and when and if paint and topcoats should even come into the equation here.

I look forward to sharing the misery fun(!) of putting this model kit together with all of you looking on, judging harshly.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Sweet! That looks like a hell of a kit.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I can't talk about adhesives for a kit like that. Gundam models are a completely different breed than military models, even fictional ones. Do some test fitting. You might need to fill some gaps, which would necessitate painting afterward, etc.

But about panel lining, I have banged this drum several times in these threads: please consider not putting Tamiya Panel Liner directly on bare plastic. It can make plastic more brittle, and even break parts. It depends on the plastic, but I prefer to just not do it. I like using other products, whether it's a fine tip Gundam marker, or mechanical pencil, or Vallejo model wash.

If you absolutely have to use that product, put a gloss topcoat on first, THEN the panel liner, then a satin or matte or whatever you want to seal it in. The gloss provides a layer of protection and allows the panel liner to flow like it's designed to do.

• Options
    Let's talk about adhesives!

So the big thing to know about plastic models and which adhesive to use is you need to know what kind of plastic your kit uses. The two most common types of plastic for kits are acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), and polystyrene (PS). There are different use cases for each type of plastic, but the quick and dirty definition is that ABS is softer and somewhat more flexible than PS. ABS therefore often is used for parts that need to have a bit of give, such as joints in a Gundam kit. PS, on the other hand is harder and more brittle than ABS, and is typically used for parts that may need to carry more of a weight load but do not need to flex.

In most cases the best glue to use for both ABS and PS plastics is liquid cement. Liquid cement is developed specifically for PS, but does work on joining ABS parts, or ABS to PS parts. Liquid cement works by chemically debonding plastic molecules, and turning them into a sticky soft mush. As the adhesive cures, that mush hardens again. In effect, you are taking two parts and making them a single part. This results a very strong bond that still has a certain amount of flexibility to it, which is often what you want with a plastic kit.

Cyanoacrylate glue (CA, aka "superglue") is a different beast, and while it will do the job on a plastic kit, it's not idea. CA glue is very strong, but the bond it produces is brittle. If parts need to flex, CA glue has a tendency to fail. However if you are joining plastic and some other non-plastic material, such as wood or metal, CA glue is a good choice, as liquid cement just will not work on those materials.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    The story of a dumb dumb

I preordered the rg god gundam forever ago and like a fool I saw an in stock kit I ALSO wanted (one of them Nacchin tank robots, they’re very cute) and just ordered it all together

And now I’ve sat here months wishing I had that other kit but it’s all shipping together and there’s still forever before that dang gundam gets to the US

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Let's talk about adhesives!

So the big thing to know about plastic models and which adhesive to use is you need to know what kind of plastic your kit uses. The two most common types of plastic for kits are acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), and polystyrene (PS). There are different use cases for each type of plastic, but the quick and dirty definition is that ABS is softer and somewhat more flexible than PS. ABS therefore often is used for parts that need to have a bit of give, such as joints in a Gundam kit. PS, on the other hand is harder and more brittle than ABS, and is typically used for parts that may need to carry more of a weight load but do not need to flex.

In most cases the best glue to use for both ABS and PS plastics is liquid cement. Liquid cement is developed specifically for PS, but does work on joining ABS parts, or ABS to PS parts. Liquid cement works by chemically debonding plastic molecules, and turning them into a sticky soft mush. As the adhesive cures, that mush hardens again. In effect, you are taking two parts and making them a single part. This results a very strong bond that still has a certain amount of flexibility to it, which is often what you want with a plastic kit.

Cyanoacrylate glue (CA, aka "superglue") is a different beast, and while it will do the job on a plastic kit, it's not idea. CA glue is very strong, but the bond it produces is brittle. If parts need to flex, CA glue has a tendency to fail. However if you are joining plastic and some other non-plastic material, such as wood or metal, CA glue is a good choice, as liquid cement just will not work on those materials.

This kit is polystyrene (PS) according to the box (with a helpful little callout, that's nice!). Is there a particular liquid cement that y'all recommend, or will any do?

[Edit] Oh, interesting! Apparently this kit doesn't require glue. Not sure I won't glue it, but at least it's nice to know it's not strictly necessary.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I personally have a thing of Testors cement that I've been using for something like ten years, though in recent years I've stopped gluing gunpla entirely. From my uneducated perspective pretty much any brand of glue is fine, provided it's the appropriate type for what you're using it on.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My experience is that plastic cement like Tamiya Extra Thin Cement does not work well, if at all, on ABS. They make a Tamiya Plastic Cement For ABS specifically for this type of plastic.

The vast majority of military kits are made in polystyrene, as static vehicles don't tend to have much in the way of moving joints. You can panel line with Tamiya Panel Liners safely on models that are made of PS, but it will embrittle ABS plastics, and you will have failures in stressed areas. In gunpla, this is often catastrophic as the stressed areas are pins and joints.

Cleaning before painting isn't as necessary these days as it used to be, but I still find it's better to do so just to head off any problems. Andy's Hobby Headquarters is a store in Phoenix, AZ where Andy builds, reviews, and sometimes paints model kits in his store. He doesn't even always bother to prime the models. Personally, I always wash the parts.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Damnit, we burned through my thread too fast. This would have been a way better closer:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Forgot to post this when I finished it about three weeks ago.
    DzBsLap.jpg

Leo #2 has been painted in (kinda) MO-V colors. #3 will be in OZ blue-gray and get a flight pack. Kinda wish I had alternate boosters to make a knockoff Tallgeese with this shield and dobergun I have handy...

Also I have reconsidered painting my Heracross and Titans girls as Metabee and Rokusho, mainly because I don't think I have the patience for dealing with Metabee's yellows.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Okay, OKAY, okay, fine, I bought it, geez.

h7jVufyl.jpg
    LzyT63gl.jpg

• Options
    oohhhh fancy optimus

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Okay I'm pretty satisfied with these poses I think
    h1anlawv6iv5.jpg

• Options
    Yo, anyone who missed out on the Zero Gravity Judge, a color variant is up for pre-order on USAG!

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/zero-gravity-1-100-judge-moon-light-ver-model-kit

yd5gt285ozha.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    dang, that thing is pretty cool...... anyone know how the engineering/quality on those kits is? I know it's a knockoff brand, not bandai.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I've built it - the inner frame is better than Bandai's own HiRM line, IMO.

Everything else is close to Bandai quality, but not quite there. I remember having some weird issues assembling it where a section wouldn't go together quite right, I'd tear down and rebuild it 3 or 4 times and suddenly it worked perfectly. Plastic quality is good, color separation is insane.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    hhhhhhh that's tempting

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    What was the original color scheme? I'm a sucker for light blue / purple...

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    What was the original color scheme? I'm a sucker for light blue / purple...

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/zero-gravity-1-100-judge-mecha-robot-model-kit?variant=38050760818885

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If that wasn’t a pre-built frame I’d be all over it.

But I need to draw some arbitrary lines, and that’s one of them.

• Options
    I ended up going for it, thanks for the heads up dark raven x!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    New p-bandai drops tonight and I had to get that RG God Gundam expansion set starring Fuunsaiki. I STILL haven't preordered the RG God Gundam itself because I am a fool who doesn't learn his lesson (I recently fence sat on the preorder for the kit of the Steel Titan from Live-A-Live long enough for it to go to waitlist)