As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I think a way to fix the nerf for Eye of Judgement but not make it OP again would be to make the eye of judgment roll modifier part optional.

Like if you have tokens on an enemy unit, before you roll the hit dice, you can decide that you want to use the eye of judgement modifier or not. That way on stuff like Magna-rails, you can fish for those 6s, but on other stuff you may just want the auto wounds. Also the Tran-Hyperian Alliance AP modifier would work again when you decide not to use the eye.

The problem now is that since the auto wound part is not optional, it disables some other stuff and if it was optional it would give the player choices.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    do you HAVE to give a judgement token to a unit when it fulfills a condition?
    If you don't, then there's the choice.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    McGibs wrote: »
    do you HAVE to give a judgement token to a unit when it fulfills a condition?
    If you don't, then there's the choice.

Yes. The tokens have to be applied, which means under the new change, some players may make their units do stuff on purpose to rack up tokens just to shut down the Votann player's abilities.

There is one optional one the Votann player can just choose not apply a token at the end of the turn, but that it only one token a turn.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    battlescribe has pretty much all the non-strat related rules if you view things in html format. I use it almost exclusively for basic dataslate reference.

Be careful. Battlescribe has a history of stuff being wrong or written a bit off for rules. Most tournaments don't allow BS as a reference but do allow Wahapedia because BS is really poorly edited.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I hate the primaris hover tanks a lot. Especially the dumb pick-up truck one. Just super ugly. The only space marine hover vehicle should be the land speeders. I will die on this hill.

The especially annoying thing is that they look really good when converted to have tracks:
    aimg_60404njgl.jpg

aimg_6045x7jrk.jpg

(PopGoesTheMonkey sells a conversion kit to close up the back of an El Impulsorino, but sadly I don't think I've seen an easy-to-do track conversion kit.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    LGT finals are EC vs. Tau. Sacco is using a modified version of my Nova list which is cool.

Go EC! Lets show some perfection.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Been working on my second kill team, a set of Legionaries.

Got my World Eaters-themed Chosen and Butcher done so far, and my Anointed is halfway finished. After that I'll be painting up the rest as Black Legion and probably running them in a spec ops campaign later in the week.

The Chosen and Butcher
    1qfrsgjqqary.jpg

The Anointed who is going to be getting a touch-up pass and a few more details painted before washes and highlights. I like how the tongue and demon flesh turned out.
    e9d1fdgvwxeu.jpg

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.
    Are the HH Rhino/Pred slightly bigger scale than their 40k versions?

Maybe, microscopically. Like the Deimos rhino is a couple mm longer than the MkIIIb or whatever it’s called. The Predator dome turret is bigger than the original eighties dome turret too but that isn’t really a scale thing.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    RedHobbit wrote: »
    I prefer the big chunky tracked SM vehicles as well, I've always had a soft spot for the Land Raider.

The still current Land Raider might be the most timeless looking vehicle GW has. It stood the test of time incredibly well I think.

I wish the blood and skulls industry track conversion kit to make it look more 30k wasn't so expensive.

• Options
    EC win the LGT!

I mean of course they did. :)

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I hate the primaris hover tanks a lot. Especially the dumb pick-up truck one. Just super ugly. The only space marine hover vehicle should be the land speeders. I will die on this hill.

I still think the Primaris ATV is the worst model GW has released in years.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »

Grey Knight Baby Bjorn? Primaris Invictor Warsuit?

There is some stiff competition

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022

Oh yes there is, but the ATV just wins out for looking cheap and ridiculous. Gotta say though, you make a great point in the Invictor Warsuit too.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    A lot of the primaris stuff just loooks too clean.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The more recent primaris stuff like bladeguard look great though. Or the BT stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Wish they just updated a d slightly rescaled the old tanks instead.
    Are the HH Rhino/Pred slightly bigger scale than their 40k versions?

I have no idea. I watched your Escher video. It was cool and you look nothing like I expected, but... awesome thumbs up! I was laughing at that.

Thanks! I have no idea what kind of image my online persona conjures up lol

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Sorely tempted to get one of those cheapish USB airbrushes just for priming models. Rattle cans are incredibly annoying and I am absolutely awful at getting a nice coat of primer without it getting too heavy and glossy.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Sorely tempted to get one of those cheapish USB airbrushes just for priming models. Rattle cans are incredibly annoying and I am absolutely awful at getting a nice coat of primer without it getting too heavy and glossy.

I've been using one to prime D&D minis and it is a perfectly acceptable solution for priming without having to go whole hog.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I've been using one to prime D&D minis and it is a perfectly acceptable solution for priming without having to go whole hog.

Do you need a whole setup with a vent hood and all that for one, or can you make do without?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am really tempted to get an airbrush.
    It's too dry to prime but when I do it comes out smooth. {I do miss spots like underneath which is annoying}

• Options

Do you need a whole setup with a vent hood and all that for one, or can you make do without?

For like a single mini or two of normal 28mm size you could spray into a cardboard box and wear a n95 mask and be fine. If you're priming an army or big vehicles I'd either want to do it outside or have a filter hood.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I got a space wolf venerable dreadnaught for cheap.
    It's been an age since we last bought one. My brother was goign to turn the one he has into murderfang and this one into the axe n board one. But the instructions let you build a wulfen one?

• Options

For like a single mini or two of normal 28mm size you could spray into a cardboard box and wear a n95 mask and be fine. If you're priming an army or big vehicles I'd either want to do it outside or have a filter hood.

I can probably do it on my balcony then, use a long USB cable and put it under the door. Thanks for the info!

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options

I can probably do it on my balcony then, use a long USB cable and put it under the door. Thanks for the info!

I'd still recommend using a cardboard box to spray in, to cut down on any breeze effecting the spray. Slap a cheap LED closet light in there and you're in business.

• Options

I'd still recommend using a cardboard box to spray in, to cut down on any breeze effecting the spray. Slap a cheap LED closet light in there and you're in business.

I've got my old moving boxes broken down in a closet, and I'm sure one of those would work without a problem.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    All my heavy weapon Dorfs have been assembled, now to do half a dozen bolters so I can fill out a Troop, then to do some priming and painting.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Built my Votann box set and played a match against my buddy the GK player who's delving into Orks (I'm so excited about this, for him and for me both).

Couple of quick patrol matches that were pretty entertaining. We've house ruled the magna rails so that a six to hit with any tokens on a unit triggers the autowound. Per goonhammer this means a unit with tokens triggers 17% of the time rather than anywhere from 3-11% based on judgement tokens.

He was playing a Warboss on squig, squignob, 2 x 10 snagga boyz and a squad of nobz.
    I had the Votann box, so Kahl, Champ, 2 x 10 warriors and 3 pioneers.
    Played Tempest both matches.

The first match I screened with my pioneers on the wee patrol sized board and had first turn, meaning I basically shot him to death by bottom of turn three.

Second match we had a much more melee friendly deployment and we decided he should have first turn. He should have cleaned me up turn one. He called the WAAAAGH! and rolled max advance for almost everything then made multiple 11 and 12 inch charges.

He then rolled a comedic amount of 1's. His snagga boy squad jacked up from the Waagh should have cleared the squad of warriors they bumped into fairly easily.... except across like 43 attacks he rolled 7 hits and 4 wounds. 7 hits on 43 dice.

The rest of the match was the exact same thing. Zero saves and zero hits for him. It took four turns for me to shoot him to death, but holy moly, it was the most appalling dice rolling either of us has ever seen.

But Orks are Orks and both matches were still hilarious and fun.

Notes:
    • Magnarails splashing 5 orks in one shot was hilarious. Across however many turns of shooting with 2 railguns it only happened once though, and only caused damage twice.
    • With only a handful of units on the board the beam weapons the squads had provided zero benefit and were basically just an expensive one shot, 2 damage gun.
    • Yrmr Conglomerate, which I played as, was really cool. Army wide invulns and extra range on the guns was just solid all the way around, even if I completely forgot the -1 AP at half range bonus entirely for both games.
    • Orks are the best
    • The Kahl is NOT a beatstick. The one time he got stuck in he got mashed.
    • The Champ IS IN FACT a beatstick. His damage is super swingy with only 4 attacks, but when he kicks off things die badly. He's also incredibly tough to kill.
    • I didn't use the champs mortal wound hammer relic, because I'm not "that guy".
    • The medipack is easily the best warrior upgrade. First failed save being 0 damage and access to a rez strat for D3 warriors is amazing.
    • Pioneers are MVP's. With a 12" pregame move, being obsec, and having a lot of autocannon grade shots they make for an amazing harassing unit that can also stack on judgement tokens via a strat.
    • Warriors are good, but not nearly as scary as they are on paper, especially vs T5 infantry.
    • Snakebites have a built in transhuman vs weapons that are <S8? How did I forget this.
    • Orks always win

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    My group is starting a crusade lite game at 250pts, so I pretty much have just enough points for the Kahn and power glove, along with a troop with 1 Magna Rail, med kit and scanner.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    My group is starting a crusade lite game at 250pts, so I pretty much have just enough points for the Kahn and power glove, along with a troop with 1 Magna Rail, med kit and scanner.

Magnarail is absolutely hilarious when it goes off.

I think the hylas rifle is probably a better option over the beamer, and on small boards the comms array was also completely unneeded on warriors, but was pretty cool on Pioneers as they roam a bit further.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Oh yes there is, but the ATV just wins out for looking cheap and ridiculous. Gotta say though, you make a great point in the Invictor Warsuit too.

I like the Invictor Warsuit. :(

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

For a weaponized robotic loader, it looks aces.

As a dedicated machine of war, its very much not my taste.

But if you like it, all the power to you, it has a lot of neat tricks like forward deploy too iirc

steam_sig.png
  • Options

But if you like it, all the power to you, it has a lot of neat tricks like forward deploy too iirc

Its very much matrix-esque.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Its very much matrix-esque.

I like the look of it, I just wish it had an armored cockpit rather than a roll cage.
    I mean, if you're wearing a suit of space murder armor over your suit of space murder armor, I'd think you'd want it to be armored too.
    But then, I'd think the experienced soldiers would be the ones smart enough to keep their helmets on in the middle of a battle. That's 40k, baby.

• Options
    If your going to die in the grimdark war torn future of the 41st millennium, what do you have left but to die with style?

• Options
    Completed my Eradicator squad, super happy with how they turned out, next up is my Redemptor Dreadnaught
    k37tqi0fuaij.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm fully aware of the fact that this is a stupid rant, but still - The Invictor Warsuit is one of the dumbest things (thematically) that has ever been released. It's a 20 foot tall, 20 foot wide bipedal robot that is incredibly heavy (I don't know if GW has ever given an exact figure for Redemptors/Invictors, but Casteferrums supposedly weigh around 12 tons) that is painted up in a super bright, garish SM chapter paintjob (with highly reflective bare metal beams/panels everywhere) that is somehow supposed to be used for stealth and/or recon missions.

They say it is made with "sound dampening materials", but dudes, it's a giant robot! It's so huge it uses a Heavy Bolter as a sidearm. Even if it's the same weight as a boxnaut (using long tons since GW is British) than it's still just shy of 26,500 pounds. That's the weight of an entire fullsize schoolbus stomping around on two stubby little legs. It's not as bad as Creed deepstriking Warhounds, but still.

I am more than willing to admit that some of the cowboy Invictor memes that were created after its release were absolutely hilarious, though:
    q6zjsj7ilwt9.jpeg

I'll finally be getting around to building the Imperial Navy Breachers later on tonight. I think the Heavy Shotgun/Endurant Shield guy is my favorite. Between these guys, my Inquisitor and his ride, the Warhammer+ Vindicare Assassin, a handful of SoS Prosecutors, various priests, a bunch of Crusaders, and random characters from Blackstone Fortress/Combat Arena I could probably put together a 1,000 point army comprised entirely of just random Imperial odds and ends.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    The distinction of "stealth" between an infantryman and a vehicle is a pretty wide gulf. There are plenty of modern recon vehicles that are, essentially full sized armored school busses, which are considered plenty stealthy in the domain of armoured conflict. Is an invictus stealthier than a Sly Marbo? No. But is it stealthier than it's contemporaries like Ork Dreadds, Tyranid carnifexes, Other stompy walkers or giant tanks? Yeah, probobly.
    I'd notice a schoolbus driving down the street, but I probobly wouldnt notice it driving down the next street over. I sure as hell would notice a tank rumbling through the neighborhood.
    Even if an Invictor was as noisy as say, a car, thats hella stealthy in terms of a battlefield vehicle.
    All the heavy weapons are for AFTER it's gotten into position. It doesnt matter being quiet after that point, it's already done it's sneaky business in being where it's not expected.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I would say the invictor being dumb as shit by any real world metric is exactly why it rules.
    40k is all about the kind of aesthetic a heavy metal guy would spray paint on the side of a minivan and I love it

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Exactly.
    Someone saw this and was like "yeah, but what if it was a mech?"
    2014-jeep-jk-rubicon-front-three-quarter-high-angle-675x450.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Warhammer 40K's aesthetic is clearly "take your average metal album cover and then crank that up to 11", sure, but if your plan is to attempt to sneak around enemy lines with a walking tank whose footsteps measure on the richter scale I think you're gonna find that it's not a good plan, and that's without even getting to the idea that your "stealth/recon" unit is bright blue/red/yellow/white/etc. You might as well be a walking highway billboard at that point.

Space Marines don't use camo patterns (anymore) because they use their chapter colors essentially as a shock and awe technique, which doesn't really jive with the idea of trying to be sneaky.

This discussion has been closed.