Options

It's a [Kids] World. [Parents] Just Live in It

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    There comes a character in each book, so you'd have three if you waited for the arc to finish and didn't play in real time. Throughout the individual storybook it's easy to scale up or down, but I feel like they were written with three in mind.

Ripley is rolling solo right now and I just use her skeleton puppy, Husky, to kind of nudge her in the right direction every now and then.

The DND Adventure Club also makes a little rulebook which is just a super cut down players handbook if you want some more characters.

She's only six so I just fudge rolls left and right to make things more fun for her. Like, since Princess Coral is a Hero Gymnast, I spend a lot of time describing all the fancy gymnastics techniques she uses.

Also, it's great for practicing basic mental math.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    In comparison, a friend of mine got his daughter into D&D. She got her friends to play and now they're a group of 5 who doesn't want my friend as the DM anymore, instead wanting to run their own campaigns. He decided to listen in to their last adventure and overheard this conversation:

"But what if the villagers find the body?"
    "We could burn it."
    "No, they might see the smoke."
    "Wait, what about that old well outside of town!"
    "Yeah, they would think he accidentally fell in.
    "Perfect!"

My friend was so proud of them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My daughter was talking about starting D&D with her friends but they never got it together. We still have the starter kit that I bought and I'm thinking about trying to run it with just my family over the summer, which none of us have ever done so it seems daunting, but I still think I will.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    I started running my kids through lost mine of phandelver (they're 9 and 7) and they can generally handle it so far (lost mine is meant as a first campaign). I definitely handwave some things, but my son is super pumped on it (my daughter - much less so).

schuss on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Mini T has been free standing, taking 5-10 steps at a time, and has his first tooth coming in! Coming up on 1 year too! Big milestones!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well, 5yo got into the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG dice.
    So I'm going to have to figure out how to run this appropriately right quick.
    As well as reskinning it to the Young Jedi Disney universe.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    kid gets very moody lately.
    yesterday evening breakdown when her mom was packing presents for some friends children we only see once a year, because "I never get presents". never mind the present she got a day earlier, because that came in a bag, not wrapped.
    And this morning just tears over everything. Getting up, what dress to wear, having to put on socks, mom not taking her to kindergarten (it's always dad, mom pick's her up later), her having to wear 3/4 leggins when her friend at kindergarten gets to wear shorts today (every other kid wore long pants or leggings today), dad leaving for work.
    More or less like that for a week now

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter has a touch of anxiety/ stage fright. She's always had it, but it's minor enough that she is able to work through it.
    I was afraid she had gone down the rabbit-hole of feeling that any discomfort as bad, and not trying to do things if it made her the littlest bit uncomfortable. She had decided at the beginning of the year to not participate in dance class at school, and we worked on getting her comfortable-enough. And she was able to perform yesterday (performance for parents in the gym, not an all-school assembly). As the performance went on, she got more comfortable and is actually a decent dancer. But she needs to warm up.
    I was just so happy she went up.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I've been watching a lot of Sesame Street, what with the baby and all

I was like "man, Miss Noodle is cute." and then I realized it was Ilana Glazer from Broad City

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Croup again 😩

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Bro.

Ear infection

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Happy Father's Day to all* the dads here.

*Unless it's only US Father's Day today, in which case, Happy Freedom Father's Day.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Happy Father's Day to all* the dads here.

*Unless it's only US Father's Day today, in which case, Happy Freedom Father's Day.

It's also Canadian Fathers Day!
    But it's also a weekend so it's mostly little kid day, as they mostly are.

• Options
    I am currently surly because I didn't have high expectations for Father's Day but mention was made of reciprocal breakfast in bed and sleeping in for me like how Mother's Day started and that didn't happen. So I got up with the kids as usual and made breakfast and the Mrs. is still in bed.

• Options
    Well now I feel like an asshole because she's clearly ill, which makes sense given that we took the youngest in for Croup Saturday morning and the oldest currently has a hacking cough.

• Options
    I'm sleeping in, gonna go play a round of disc golf, and then fancy Laotian food for dinner.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I just got served a quiche with crab meat in it, and have been allowed to go full goblin mode today

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Got a new diy miniature book shop to build, along with a sleeping mask, shower gel, a glass with hearts engraved on it and a portrait. I was served breakfast on bed and we went out for dinner. Kid and I watched some of the football and played in a park.

Good day.

• Options
    Totally unrelated, but I had to get a biopsy last week for a weird lump (yay), and now have a CT scan booked on my birthday next week (double yay). The bloodwork is done so it's probably nothing, but...yeah. Hug your kids!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    We did a camp out in the backyard to test and see if the kid would do okay camping last night so my father's day started off at 5am... But I spent it just playing cyberpunk and we have a fridge full of desserts now.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Oh yeah, here were the results of the mask crafting. I didn’t quite get the colours right but it works well with the dress.

bu4mol8racvl.jpeg

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Whoops

Blake T on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    hoisync133z4.png

Benjamin is 5, for the record

• Options
    My son is in a theater program, and he's enjoying it. I'm dreading today's final performance, though, because I got a hint yesterday that he isn't doing as well as they were letting on.
    They're supposed to be preparing little monologues and performing them. It's a short program, so they're reading from their pages. The kids wrote their own, and have been practicing. I have been told everything is going great.
    Until yesterday- they mentioned in an email that they want his to be shortened from ~two pages to... two lines. Which, what. They've had ten sessions (over two months), and literally the day before the final they want to change it up. He's fine with reading just his first two lines- he drew a picture and was basically just describing it. The first two lines introduce the picture, and the rest was filler. I get it. He stutters, has a hard time reading things out loud, and you may have had a hard time telling him to keep it short and simple. He's head-strong, and wanted to describe the picture well. But loop me in earlier. Change is hard, and it's easier to ease him into the change. I really hope he doesn't get annoyed that others can read more than him and now demand he read his original during the performance. He'll likely be fine, but one day to make this change doesn't give me hope things will go well.
    Heading off to pick my daughter up from school to take her to the performance soon. Oof

• Options
    Update: could have been better, but turned out ok.
    They had a mini rehearsal before, and my kid was the only one asked to cut down his monologue. And every other kid had at least four lines. So the program director says the first four lines are fine. Print out the first four lines, get ready.

During the performance, every other kid is reading their whole thing. And my kid is getting dysregulated and feeling put out. His turn to go on stage, and he gets upset and wants to read his whole thing. His poster with his picture has the whole thing on it, so I tell him to read from the poster and just do the whole thing. This is taking a bit of time, and he's not getting on stage at this time.

Most people have no idea what is going on, and I think it's being played off as him being shy. Like, they're encouraging him to go onstage. And he's not actually shy in the least... he goes up when he sees he can read all of it from the poster. He's doing really well, for him, but is clearly not as good as the other kids. But the director is sitting there helping him through it. And everybody cheers him when he's done for "working through his stage fright" ( getting through the monologue with minimal stops due to his slow processing speed).

In all, he got through it, and did it. If they hadn't tried to cut down his piece, he would have been much better, but I know why they did it. Just, I also know that the time to make the piece short was in the beginning, because once they said he'd perform what he wrote, he was going to want to perform it all. I tried to tell them, but they were oddly strict about trying to cut it down.

Anyways, he did insist on doing the whole thing and it mostly worked out and all the issues he had will likely be written off by everybody but me as stage fright.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    We just spent way too much fucking money on photographs of our family.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    One of the side effects of toilet training has been my daughter being much more aware when she needs to pee. She seems to take particular joy in informing us when she's about to go in the bath, usually ending like this:
    8umr5n.jpg

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My son is in a theater program, and he's enjoying it. I'm dreading today's final performance, though, because I got a hint yesterday that he isn't doing as well as they were letting on.
    They're supposed to be preparing little monologues and performing them. It's a short program, so they're reading from their pages. The kids wrote their own, and have been practicing. I have been told everything is going great.
    Until yesterday- they mentioned in an email that they want his to be shortened from ~two pages to... two lines. Which, what. They've had ten sessions (over two months), and literally the day before the final they want to change it up. He's fine with reading just his first two lines- he drew a picture and was basically just describing it. The first two lines introduce the picture, and the rest was filler. I get it. He stutters, has a hard time reading things out loud, and you may have had a hard time telling him to keep it short and simple. He's head-strong, and wanted to describe the picture well. But loop me in earlier. Change is hard, and it's easier to ease him into the change. I really hope he doesn't get annoyed that others can read more than him and now demand he read his original during the performance. He'll likely be fine, but one day to make this change doesn't give me hope things will go well.
    Heading off to pick my daughter up from school to take her to the performance soon. Oof
    They had a mini rehearsal before, and my kid was the only one asked to cut down his monologue. And every other kid had at least four lines. So the program director says the first four lines are fine. Print out the first four lines, get ready.

During the performance, every other kid is reading their whole thing. And my kid is getting dysregulated and feeling put out. His turn to go on stage, and he gets upset and wants to read his whole thing. His poster with his picture has the whole thing on it, so I tell him to read from the poster and just do the whole thing. This is taking a bit of time, and he's not getting on stage at this time.

Most people have no idea what is going on, and I think it's being played off as him being shy. Like, they're encouraging him to go onstage. And he's not actually shy in the least... he goes up when he sees he can read all of it from the poster. He's doing really well, for him, but is clearly not as good as the other kids. But the director is sitting there helping him through it. And everybody cheers him when he's done for "working through his stage fright" ( getting through the monologue with minimal stops due to his slow processing speed).

In all, he got through it, and did it. If they hadn't tried to cut down his piece, he would have been much better, but I know why they did it. Just, I also know that the time to make the piece short was in the beginning, because once they said he'd perform what he wrote, he was going to want to perform it all. I tried to tell them, but they were oddly strict about trying to cut it down.

Anyways, he did insist on doing the whole thing and it mostly worked out and all the issues he had will likely be written off by everybody but me as stage fright.

Honestly, I wish I could hug your poor kid, and tell him it gets better at some point. This reminded me of me when I was a kid. It makes me think of how my kid can get now, though thank god the teachers and students seem more understanding now than they were then with me. The worst part, worse than any of their other things they did to your kiddo, was giving him a specific task over two months and then trying to alter it at the last second only for him. Like, of course by that point he's dead set on reading the whole thing. That's the assignment! I'd be dysregulated and feeling put out too, regardless of age! Heck, I'm feeling incredibly annoyed and it wasn't even my task. :#

Does he have an autism diagnosis?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've found that one of the hardest parts of being a parent is knowing that your kids will eventually find out about the horrible parts of the world

• Options
    edited June 22
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Honestly, I wish I could hug your poor kid, and tell him it gets better at some point. This reminded me of me when I was a kid. It makes me think of how my kid can get now, though thank god the teachers and students seem more understanding now than they were then with me. The worst part, worse than any of their other things they did to your kiddo, was giving him a specific task over two months and then trying to alter it at the last second only for him. Like, of course by that point he's dead set on reading the whole thing. That's the assignment! I'd be dysregulated and feeling put out too, regardless of age! Heck, I'm feeling incredibly annoyed and it wasn't even my task. :#

Does he have an autism diagnosis?
    Yeah. He is autistic, and has ADHD. I think they thought he couldn't actually perform the whole piece, because he's very slow and deliberate (sometimes stuttering) in how he does things, and it looks like he's struggling. When really, it's fine, that's just how he does things when performing. The idea was to give him something smaller to do because something is better than nothing.
    So they had good intentions, but ultimately just didn't understand (although it's blindingly obvious to people who get it)

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah. He is autistic, and has ADHD. I think they thought he couldn't actually perform the whole piece, because he's very slow and deliberate (sometimes stuttering) in how he does things, and it looks like he's struggling. When really, it's fine, that's just how he does things when performing. The idea was to give him something smaller to do because something is better than nothing.
    So they had good intentions, but ultimately just didn't understand (although it's blindingly obvious to people who get it)

I feel like it's the kind of thing staff should be trained about. If you give the autistic kid a task, and they accept doing that task, be ready for them to do it. It doesn't matter if they don't do it well, it matters that they were given and accepted the task. And sometimes it's not that they're struggling with the task in specific, but that the guy in the front row has a bright neon green tie and it's incredibly distracting. Or that we want to get the thing done right, not fast. Or something like that. I can see their good intentions, but it belies their understanding of the situation. :/

I am also both (though we didn't really know that at the time I was a kid back in the 80s-90s), and I wasn't always the most attentive kid (nor an adult, to be honest), so I got stuck in "kids choir" type things so the rest of the kids could cover for me. In a way I'm sort of glad I know how not great things were for me as a kid, so that I can champion the right things to happen for my autistic kid from a position of knowing that something is probably less or probably more likely to work for him. My kid missed what would have been his first school program (singing in a music class thing for first grade) because he was in the hospital, which he was bummed for days about. Because he had prepared for so long for the thing, and it was "wrong" that he was having to miss it.

Hopefully they can work with your kiddo more to understand his particular way of doing things, and learn what needs to be accommodated and what just needs to happen because it can't be changed.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    On the plus side, my biopsy was negative for lethal cancer.

On the negative, our boy has a fever, so instead of having fun at a birthday party, we've spent the entire day under a blanket watching Spidey Friends. And all of last night in his bed giving cuddles. He's probably fine, but a day of not much is probably smart.

So done, though.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    As a child of the 80's who watched so many movies way too young, I really struggle trying to wait to show my kid some of my favorites. I usually look at common sense media or reddit to try and calibrate myself. But the real question is, how young is too young to watch Bloodsport for the first time?

I would download a car.
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »
    As a child of the 80's who watched so many movies way too young, I really struggle trying to wait to show my kid some of my favorites. I usually look at common sense media or reddit to try and calibrate myself. But the real question is, how young is too young to watch Bloodsport for the first time?

The honest answer is it depends on the kid and the situation. Some kids handle violence or scary stuff better than others. Most kids will tolerate more bothersome stuff if they are with peers than with parents.

Ripley hates violence and she is really good about vocalizing it to me. She especially does not like guns. Am I proud she will stand up for what she wants? I am. Is it also annoying I can't watch Star wars or whatever around her? Also yes.

• Options
    edited June 27
    lazegamer wrote: »

Some guy on Reddit posted about showing his 8 year old Bloodsport and the kid loved it so he was looking for more similar recommendations.

I think you could go younger than 8 though. My 7 year old nephew would have had a blast with it a few years ago.

Edit: to clarify, I don't really think you should, but you could.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I think it all revolves around the kid in question. Can they watch a full movie? Do they like that kind of stuff? Kate kept asking me to watch scary movies, so I thought I'd go easy/simple and started with Ghost Busters. She's only 8.5 and liked the movie and didn't find any of it scary. My first inclination was to jump straight to The Thing, but I ended up with Gremlins. Which the only thing she didn't like was when the one got blended up and sprayed gremlin goo all over. In fact about half way through she got bored and we ended up shutting it off.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My daughter is talking more and more and learning and practicing more and more words, in Chinese and English. Her pronunciation is improving little by little. She's capable of responding to questions verbally as well as through action. And she hasn't yet gotten to the "I heard you but I'm gonna pretend like I didn't and keep doing my thing" or the "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" stages yet.

Life's pretty good right now.

• Options
    So, our Costco membership just paid for itself.
    On a trip to visit family, and noticed that my son's ADHD medication was running low. He should have had over a half a month left, so I looked closer and noticed his latest script was for 1xpill instead of the normal 2xpill.
    So we had a frantic couple of days of half dose.
    The doctor we see for his ADHD is a fellow (student in their last year, because no one takes insurance and they're all we can afford), and their last day was the day we noticed the wrong script. We had been assigned a new doctor, and were trying frantically to get ahold of them to get things fixed (haven't even met them in person ><). Everything was documented properly, so we were able to get him to send a script, thankfully.
    Of course, ADHD meds are in a perpetual shortage, but we knew Costco usually is able to fill. We were pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover it, because it hadn't been a month since last fill and we were out of state. (We could have waited a week and they would have, we later figured out, but we would have run out by then)
    But we saved the amount of our Costco membership with their discount program when we paid out of pocket.

When packing for this trip, I had the mantra of "we're going to another state, not the moon", so I didn't panic about making sure we had everything. The only thing I triple checked were the meds. I guess I didn't check well enough ><

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I am basically never barefoot, but I stepped on a cat's hairball and took my socks off and the baby is baffled like "what the fuck is that, are those toes?"

she keeps running up and pointing at my feet and very angrily saying "toes."

• Options
    Dallas just absolutely melted down instead of participating in the kindergarten screening.

My wife is like, completely incapable of dealing with the slightest adversity with our kids, also started sobbing in the education office.