As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get mygold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
edited February 2023 in Games and Technology
All right, fam. It's time for a new thread. Thank you to @Zavian for putting this excellent first post.
Zavian wrote: »
https://youtu.be/T6EcJ6Sv5Ns

A word from President & CEO/Director of FromSoftware, Inc., Hidetaka Miyazaki *
It's astonishing to see just how many people have been playing "Elden Ring."

I'd like to extend our heartfelt thanks on behalf of the entire development team.

"Elden Ring" is based on a mythological story written by George R. R. Martin. We hope players enjoy a high level of freedom when adventuring through its vast world, exploring its many secrets and facing up to its many threats.

Thank you for your continued support.

Platforms:
Microsoft Windows (Steam)
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S

Release Date: February 25, 2022

A word from Bandai Namco
"ELDEN RING" was created under the guidance of FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki, incorporating the expansive worldview through the eyes of George R. R. Martin, author of the fantasy novel series, "A Song of Ice and Fire," while applying FromSoftware’s expertise in developing pulse pounding, action based titles, and with the game’s vast and explorative world filled with excitement and adventure, customers worldwide have been showering the game with praise for its unprecedented and overwhelming gameplay experience. Simultaneous release of the game in fourteen languages (※3), coupled with the worldwide network tests prior to release, raised expectations to bring about sales of more than 12M units worldwide.

Please look forward to more of "ELDEN RING" as an IP (characters and other intellectual property) in hopes of expanding beyond the realm of games.

- Bandai Namco

INTERVIEW WITH MIYAZAKI
Sam Wilkinson, Bandai Namco: First off, please tell me when and how development for Elden Ring took off.
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Game Director: Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended. At the time, Elden Ring was being planned as a more classic fantasy title compared to others that were either being considered or already in the early stages of development.
We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren’t able to do in the Dark Souls series.
Wilkinson: What genre do you think Elden Ring will fall under?
Miyazaki: It is a third-person action RPG.
Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements.
Of course, we are not shying away from the fun of responsive melee-based combat, and these elements will be present as well.
Wilkinson: Do you believe this title will turn out to be a very From-like and challenging game?
Miyazaki: Yes, I do. The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles. I believe it will prove to be a very satisfying experience.
Earlier I had said that this title focuses more heavily on RPG elements. This title will include a wide variety of weapons, magic, and ways to engage enemies, that make it possible to provide users with a style of gameplay and strategy that suits them.
Even when compared to the Dark Souls series, I believe this title will provide even more variety in the ways for players to overcome challenges and tweak their tactics when facing enemies.
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain character customization elements like in Dark Souls, or will it be similar to Sekiro in that there is a fixed protagonist that the player controls?
Miyazaki: Yes, it will contain character customization elements.
Similar to the Dark Souls series, Elden Ring allows players to design and control their own unique character. As I said earlier, this title puts a heavy focus on RPG elements, and we thought this approach would best suit that focus.
Wilkinson: Regarding the collaboration with George R. R. Martin, can you further explain how this collaboration came about and in what role it has served throughout the project?
Miyazaki: I suppose the start of this collaboration came from the fact that I myself am I huge fan of Mr. Martin’s work.
I loved “A Song of Ice and Fire” as well as the “Tuf Voyaging” series, however if I had to pick a favorite I would probably say “Fevre Dream.”
I personally see “Fevre Dream” as a masterpiece among vampire fantasy and had even previously recommended it to all new employees.
Me being such a known fan of Mr. Martin caused our executive business director Eiichi Nakajima to reach out to him with the expectation that we would get turned down.
However, we were then given the rare opportunity to talk one-on-one with Mr. Martin which was an incredibly fun and stimulating experience. It was then that I strongly felt that I wanted to work with Mr. Martin.
I am still unable to put into words how grateful I am to Mr. Martin for agreeing to our offer.
The actual collaboration itself begun with Mr. Martin ever so politely confirming what sorts of themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects I had envisioned for the game.
This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself.
This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well. It was a wonderful source of stimulus for me and the development staff.
Elden Ring’s world was constructed using this mythos and stimulus as a base. Even I myself find it hard to contain my excitement from time to time. We hope that everyone else is looking forward to the world we have created.
Wilkinson: What are some differences when compared to your previous titles (especially Dark Souls)?
Miyazaki: If I were to put aside the world full of fresh stimulus thanks to our collaboration with Mr. Martin, I would have to say the biggest difference is it being open world.
Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume.
There are many definitions to the term “open world,” and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.
It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration.
Among those areas, you will also find intricately designed, multi-layered castles and such.
Wilkinson: What is the meaning behind the title?
Miyazaki: Elden Ring is the name given to a mysterious concept that defines the world itself.
As the trailer at the conference implied, this “Elden Ring” has been shattered. The significance of this will be one of the important themes of the game.
That’s about all I can say at this point in time (laughter)
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain the gritty, intense boss fights we’ve all come to love and expect from From?
Miyazaki: Yes, of course. Boss fights are something we enjoy making and make up one of the climaxes to this title as well. We feel there is a wide variety of unique and horrifying bosses for players to look forward to.
Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?
Miyazaki: We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess.
While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.
This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.
That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/
Multiplayer
The Multiplayer Menu can be accessed from within the Main Menu where you can set a Multiplayer Password and a Group Password. Setting a Multiplayer Password means you can only be matched for most multiplayer features by other people using the same password; However, this does not avoid Invasions nor support some multiplayer (e.g. summoned Hunters who activated a Blue Cipher Ring).

PA Group/Community Password: Wang ('wang' and 'WANG' also used)

CBZDO7r.jpg
z9WpE4v.jpg

@Zavian in this thread with character name and platform to be added to OP Multiplayer List

PS
Dignified Pauper

Xbox

PC
Official Tips/Info
DA7jCZr.jpgEe1hC6o.jpg
EjXKVKq.jpgeTPQ2NK.jpg
Trg64nK.jpg4CQ5Ihu.jpg
hpY17vY.jpgFq9X2Ta.jpg
Technical Info * https://www.fromsoftware.jp/ww/pressrelease_detail.html?tgt=20220316_eldenring_salesdata
4qvspf3rdn9h.png

Expansion time! Shadow of the Erdtree is in development. Get hyped!

More info to come!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
GoodKingJayIII on

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Ranni has more arms and some sick melee combat feats, I think she takes it.

Yes I realize it's a waifu battle and not a battle between waifus, this doesn't change my answer.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    thanks for making a new thread! I'm still holding out hope that we'll get some single player DLC announced and released sometime this year

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Release anniversary event of some sort this month on the 25th
    Maybe they'll announce DLC? Maybe not.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    After finishing Ranni's quest, I keep expecting her to catch me hugging Fia.

"Ranni? Oh god.. its not what looks like, I swear. Its actually a debuff, see?"

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    After finishing Ranni's quest, I keep expecting her to catch me hugging Fia.

"Ranni? Oh god.. its not what looks like, I swear. Its actually a debuff, see?"

dcjprl70dypi.png

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Still working on Melania before I tackle the last couple of story bosses

I have a pretty good system going to reach the second phase but I’m still trying to figure the second phase out

Got her down to maybe 10% once without really grasping how but I’m sure I can make something work

I even manage to not die from Waterfowl Dance sometimes

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Ranni is like top three Souls character designs for me.

Her and Lady Maria. Fashion souls has never been more on point.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Ranni is awesome. (edit to put stuff behind spoilers)

But also, after doing Fia's questline and
    using the Mending Rune of Death, I appreciate her a lot more. She's probably the least bad of any ER NPC. Ranni isn't evil, but she also has her own particular, sometimes selfish motives can be pretty duplicitous throughout the game. Fia just kinda wants the spirits who inhabit death to be left alone and given a chance at a proper rest, and restoring the natural order of life/death.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine why they would have an Elden Ring anniversary party other than to announce DLC or a sequel or something.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I mean I hope they do for sure but they kind of list the reasons right there in the tweet, I wouldn't go getting my hopes up at all.

Sometimes people just like to celebrate a cool thing!

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

using the Mending Rune of Death, I appreciate her a lot more. She's probably the least bad of any ER NPC. Ranni isn't evil, but she also has her own particular, sometimes selfish motives can be pretty duplicitous throughout the game. Fia just kinda wants the spirits who inhabit death to be left alone and given a chance at a proper rest, and restoring the natural order of life/death.
    Is that what it would do? The impression i ended up with was more everyone would be undead.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Is that what it would do? The impression i ended up with was more everyone would be undead.

My understanding is that it's
    integrating the undead into the Golden Order, such that they're not abominations but something natural. Not making death normal again or turning everyone undead.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I’ve already decided I’m going with the
    Ranni
    ending my first time around

I have the option to do one other
    Fia
    but the rest I didn’t finish (or start, in some cases) the questlines

Also, (character)
    I went down into the sewers and found the Dung-Eater and opened his cell just to kill him myself. Not really looking forward to the playthrough where he’s my bestest bud.

knitdan on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

integrating the undead into the Golden Order, such that they're not abominations but something natural. Not making death normal again or turning everyone undead.
    The act of dying got all messed up when they lost Destined Death. The Cursemark is meant to bring death (the result of dying) back to the Lands Between.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Haven't played Blasphemous yet but every time I see gameplay of it, I kind of marvel at how effective it is visually.

That sort of religious horror is kind of an undermined theme. Guilt, self flageration, sacrifice, obsession, all can be abit unnerving depending on how you look at it.

Really interested to get into that one...athough its successful in a way at making me uncomfortable that I'll probably wait on it until I'm done with the lions share of other 2D souls.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Haven't played Blasphemous yet but every time I see gameplay of it, I kind of marvel at how effective it is visually.

That sort of religious horror is kind of an undermined theme. Guilt, self flageration, sacrifice, obsession, all can be abit unnerving depending on how you look at it.

Really interested to get into that one...athough its successful in a way at making me uncomfortable that I'll probably wait on it until I'm done with the lions share of other 2D souls.

Blasphemous is easily my favorite 2d Souls Like

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Kamar wrote: »

The act of dying got all messed up when they lost Destined Death. The Cursemark is meant to bring death (the result of dying) back to the Lands Between.

That might be the easy assumption, but the key item says something very different.

e5b6806z2mmk.png

"Embed the principal of life within Death into Order" means something quite different from making death work like we'd expect it to.

Also, Death is cut loose when you deal with Maliketh.

Godwyn was basically always meant to die, as said by the finger crone down near him who was his wet nurse

nfu8z1s7nd8o.png

Fia is explicitly about undead and protecting them. Godwyn got screwed up by Ranni's interference in the long-term plan (presumbably Marika's) to kill him and now there are undead and she wants them to have a proper place in the world

jqfvrgdxjq49.png

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The bit with
    Ranni's doll being modeled after her mentor is interesting. So I guess that explains the resemblance with Melina and why she was so curious about Torrent.

Melina herself though is still abit of a mysterious to me at the moment. I don't think I've found any lore any related to her yet (that I know of). I'm just waiting for her to be revealed as an eldritch horror from the great void fifteen galaxies away now.

Cleared Liorna, Limgrave, Caelid, Nekron and the Lake of Rot so far. Dicking around Volcano Manor and Altus right now. Game has a massive (for Souls) 130 hours clocked in now.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Malenia down

I finally stopped playing so cautious and reactive and just went on the offense with Morgott’s Cursed Sword+10 spamming L2 (though there were probably a couple others I could have gone with, like Maliketh’s Black Blade or Rivers of Blood) and basically stunlocked her for most of the fight.

Screw learning how to dodge that cheating-ass 4-combo whirlwind attack

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    As for DS2, that's the Burnt Ivory King down, along with Lud & Zallen. The king was an awesome fight, had my 4 knights with me almost to the end, but I got him in one go.

L & Z was just... boring? It was just a duo redskin boss that I'd just beaten anyway, and the snowfield wasn't bad, just annoyingly bright.

All that said, I think I'm just about done with ds2. Gonna wrap a couple things up and move on to ds3, which I'm super excited about.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Icemopper wrote: »
    As for DS2, that's the Burnt Ivory King down, along with Lud & Zallen. The king was an awesome fight, had my 4 knights with me almost to the end, but I got him in one go.

L & Z was just... boring? It was just a duo redskin boss that I'd just beaten anyway, and the snowfield wasn't bad, just annoyingly bright.

All that said, I think I'm just about done with ds2. Gonna wrap a couple things up and move on to ds3, which I'm super excited about.

Did you go talk to the king one last time with all four crowns (three from DLC, one with the King's Set from Shrine of Amana after Vendrick is down)?

Kamar on
  • Options
    That's part of the clean up I need to do, and one more side boss I might have missed, but honestly the bosses in this one are all running together really easily. There's only a few that stand out as memorable, and only one or two that stand out in a good way.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I had a hell of a time with the Burnt Ivory King this replay, actually. He was the only boss that really made me work for it. Apparently someone at From realized the game is entirely too blockable and so every one of the attacks of the last DLC's bosses does massive stagger and stamina impact. As in, taking nearly three quarters of my bar and making me recoil for a second on every single combo hit with a 78+ stability greatshield, kind of impact. After the entire game with the shield being a powerful defensive option, it's like suddenly starting playing DS3, using a shield just gets you killed.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I've been invaded twice today by real people in DS2. I murdered them both. Yesterday one rolled off the cliff. Get wrecked assholes.

• Options
    I one-shot BIK when I went through on my UGS run, but I seriously hate that fight even when it goes well. I was angry and tilted the whole time muttering insults to the allied knights who just, completely refused to engage.

I will admit I used my only bright bug of the run there on the phase transition, not because I hate the second half but because I was that unwilling to do the first half again.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    I had a hell of a time with the Burnt Ivory King this replay, actually. He was the only boss that really made me work for it. Apparently someone at From realized the game is entirely too blockable and so every one of the attacks of the last DLC's bosses does massive stagger and stamina impact. As in, taking nearly three quarters of my bar and making me recoil for a second on every single combo hit with a 78+ stability greatshield, kind of impact. After the entire game with the shield being a powerful defensive option, it's like suddenly starting playing DS3, using a shield just gets you killed.

Yeah I think since my big hook into these games was Bloodborne I've never relied on shields. I tried one in Elden Ring for a minute but gave it up quickly and stuck to rolling all over the place. Burnt Ivory King was definitely a tough battle but I guess dodging around was quite effective.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

Yeah I think since my big hook into these games was Bloodborne I've never relied on shields. I tried one in Elden Ring for a minute but gave it up quickly and stuck to rolling all over the place. Burnt Ivory King was definitely a tough battle but I guess dodging around was quite effective.
    You gotta use a big meaty 100% phsyical negation shield with high guard boost to get that good tank feel. There are a lot of shitty small and medium ones out there that still make you take a good bit of damage and too much stamina loss.

Become the dog turtle.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I've trended away from beefy full coverage shields and more towards using light shields with middling stability and good fashion over time.

Anywhere that kind of shield works surprisingly well, that's a fight or attack that meant you to block it. If something is blowing up your guard, don't block it. Simple!

Of course, you can just sit behind something like the Fingerprint Stone Shield and laugh at incoming attacks in ER and do alright, but I'm not even kidding with my suggestion as a way to find the 'optimal' approach to surviving certain fights.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    greatshields are fun to use as like, a character gimmick, but yeah, i'll usually just use whatever half-decent parry capable targe i can get that looks good

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I've always had no interest in parrying in From games.

If I'm gonna defend in a game like this, I prefer to block and with heavy armor aswell. Its why DS1 remains probably my favorite playthrough of the series. All the other games are built to be more punishing for people with slower reaction times as From tries to find new ways to force people to dodge/play more offensively.

I'm glad Elden Ring feels like its trending back towards giving people more options rather than bemoaning at how said options "engender passivity" as Bloodborne would say. I love being able to suck up big blows and dish it out.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have to say, spending as much time with From Software games may have broken me for other titles.

I just started Fallen Order and you can't walk five feet without a tooltip telling you what to do or when to do it.

Just let me play the game please.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    In my DS2 run I got a petrified something and so I went to go turn that in with some of the pebbles. I started this run by farming the demon greathammer. And now I have two. Boom boom power stance.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I've always had no interest in parrying in From games.

If I'm gonna defend in a game like this, I prefer to block and with heavy armor aswell. Its why DS1 remains probably my favorite playthrough of the series. All the other games are built to be more punishing for people with slower reaction times as From tries to find new ways to force people to dodge/play more offensively.

I'm glad Elden Ring feels like its trending back towards giving people more options rather than bemoaning at how said options "engender passivity" as Bloodborne would say. I love being able to suck up big blows and dish it out.

Generally I will never parry unless the game forces me to. It's too high risk, too binary - either the parry works or you get absolutely fucked. And of course some attacks that look impossible to parry are perfectly parryable while others that look easier to parry are actually immune to parries. Either block or dodge are much safer and more reliable.

Sekiro works because a partial parry doesn't mean you eat shit completely, and also you can trust that parry works against everything that does not have a clear sign saying so, so if you do eat shit you at least know that was you messing the timing, not "wait, did I parry wrong, are the impact frames on this attack at a different part of the animation, is it not parryable?".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I parried once in DS1. End boss. I tried him without it and made headway he was just non stop aggro so it was just easier to do it that way.

DS2 so far ive parried once as well. Pursuer. Because getting the damn ballistas to work for me is impossible I guess heh.

In elden ring I did it during the tutorial and that was it. Guard Counters are just so good there.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I parried once in DS1. End boss. I tried him without it and made headway he was just non stop aggro so it was just easier to do it that way.

DS2 so far ive parried once as well. Pursuer. Because getting the damn ballistas to work for me is impossible I guess heh.

In elden ring I did it during the tutorial and that was it. Guard Counters are just so good there.

I’ll parry certain enemies in DS1, and never do it in DS2 because the parry there is so bad

DS3… eh, rolling got too good there

And then Elden Ring has guard counters which own so I just do those and roll around

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think Fromsoft's been getting better about thing that look like they might be parryable indeed being parryable. Seems like basically any enemy with a weapon smaller than a car in ER can be parried, including any bosses. Couple that with the ability to throw carian retaliation or golden parry on any non-great shield, and I think ER is the best time to mess around with parrying if you haven't so far. With how complicated some boss's movesets are in this one, being able to just shut them down with a parry was especially welcome.

• Options
    Sekiro parrying is the best parrying but it would definitely not work in any other Fromsoft game, same goes for Bloodborne's revenge healing mechanic.

This just makes me excited to see what crazy mechanics they're going to make for giant robots with huge guns.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I’ll parry certain enemies in DS1, and never do it in DS2 because the parry there is so bad

DS3… eh, rolling got too good there

And then Elden Ring has guard counters which own so I just do those and roll around

There were a couple of bosses in DS3 that parrying just made much easier. IIRC Champion Gundyr and first phase Pontiff Sulyvan were both very vulnerable to parry and it made both a lot less threatening.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Sekiro parrying is the best parrying but it would definitely not work in any other Fromsoft game, same goes for Bloodborne's revenge healing mechanic.

This just makes me excited to see what crazy mechanics they're going to make for giant robots with huge guns.

I'm curious to see what they've been doing for 7 years, since "early development" was in 2016. I assume it was with designers, concept artists, and other similar people during the planning.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    DS1 - I can parry everything that is parryable. I parried Gwyn to death.
    Every other game - cannot parry a thing.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.