As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't live with [Jobs], Can't live without [Jobs]

HefflingHeffling No PicEverRegistered User regular
edited June 2023 in Social Entropy++
If the past few years have taught me anything, it's that I don't often get much time without some major disaster in my life, so I really should be enjoying my life right now instead of dreading and feeling like the other shoe is about to drop. I hate that I'm so fatalistic and jaded, but I don't know how to be otherwise.

In general, life is good. My wife isn't totally out of the woods, as we had conflicting reports from the CT scan of her neck initially and the ultrasounds at the hospital. But she's having another CT scan this Saturday, so we should know soon what needs to happen next there. Her migraines and some of her lack of stamina has resolved since getting the stent put in, and she's had the first of 4 iron injections to address her iron deficiency. It's a side effect of her stomach bypass, that she can't absorb iron from food or pills properly. But it's manageable and the injection took only about 15 minutes from time she entered the office until she was done, so it's not a major hassle.

I think I talked about my dad's adventures while I was sick before. They're doing good now. My dad has really listened to the talk we had, and called me over to help with several things including replacing some broken exterior pvc, moving some furniture, and changing some light bulbs that are high up. I'm really happy he listened to me.

My mom has finally acknowledge that she can't properly care for her husband anymore. He had a fall while getting out of bed, and broke two ribs. He's healing well, so they moved him from the hospital to a rehabilitation/physical therapy center. My mom is making arrangements for a nursing home for him. The wife and I are both very relieved, as we've known for a while that caring for him has been too much for her. We're going to visit her next weekend, it's about an 8 hour drive.

On the work front, I was told that the new engineering manager (where I've been the interim for all but 3 months of the past 2 years) has accepted the offer. There's some work to be done because he's an H1B Visa holder, but I'm really looking forward to working with him. He's the candidate I ranked #1 out of the several I interviewed.

At work, we transitioned to a new program to manage all of our engineering changes and part creation. Unfortunately, this has been causing hell with a ton of problems getting ECMs and parts released to production, so my team is over a month behind on our workflow queue. I am 99% confident we found the issue on Friday, which is that the ECM process breaks when you are logged in via the VPN (aka working from home), but works correctly when done on the intranet. So I've reached out to the SMEs for the new tool to find out how we can resolve this, as well as to my peers at other sites to see if they are experiencing the same.

I want to make sure and continue to support my team's WFH option, as I know for both members getting to work from home two days a week has been a huge stress relief. I am going to have to ask them to modify their schedules a bit, as right now it's one on M/Tu/W and one on M/Th/F, and I don't want them unable to work ECMs for more than 1 day at a time.

Our team supports both our quotations team and our parts/complete equipment teams, and only the latter two will need ECMs because we don't set up part numbers for quotes. So the focus will be two days a week on quotes, two days a week on orders, and Mondays are for whichever takes priority.

A duck! on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jobs? Jobs never change.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I look forward to the day when people are no longer primarily defined by what they do to earn money.

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I look forward to the day when people are no longer primarily defined by what they do to earn money.

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

o/` This is America o/`

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I'm on call all weekend and I already crave death...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    spent Thursday afternoon in a meeting with the company's Rainbow Heroes team.

We're talking about how to prepare for Pride next year (already), getting the budget together for a corporate sponsored booth at the Big Gay Out (large concert event at a public park usually at the end of Global Pride month), trying to organize more things like Drag Bingo at the corporate office, other smaller LGBTQ+ events that we can sponsor around the country throughout the year. We're negotiating with the Corporate Office Building to keep our Progress Flag doors up all year long (the sun streams in through the window in the morning and apparently when you get to the office it feels like walking through a rainbow every morning).

We've recently been accredited through Rainbow Tick, an org that evaluates work places on their safety and inclusive policies, so we've been working on that. We've got pronouns added to email signatures mid last year and are working on pushing that out through to everybody. And the next big project for the group is setting up a 'Transitioning At Work" policy/process. One of our new (like brand new less than a month) hires is actually transitioning and has offered to be on the committee with the SLT and ELT to discuss what to do.

We're getting progress flag pins to go on our work lanyards to show that we're Rainbow Heroes and therefore safe to speak with in the office.

I honestly wish that I had been working for this company previously. Or that this had been a corporate thing previously.

I can't help but wonder how it would have felt for me to be able to do all of this amazing work *before* I was completely burnt out of being in an office and burnt out in general.

Younger me would likely not have gotten involved because I was afraid and confused. But I wish I had the social energy that younger me had.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote:
    Hard to say, the collection development department will review it and make a recommendation to the executive director. I'd lean towards it moving because even though the publisher coded it as Juvenile Literature, School Library Journal reviewed it as YA and YALSA gave it an award a few years back. It's a pretty blurry distinction.

I'm afraid the youths will need to cuss the same way we did: by watching old PG movies that were rated in the pre PG-13 era.

My daughter is almost 8 and might be a huge Tom Cardy fan. Parents of the year over here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Spring break is over and I am at work.

Ugh.

At least the library is closed for big testing today so I can spend all my free time looking at the rolling dumpster fire that is the district turning off the wifi network that all the students and teachers illegally connected their phones to over the years.

Update: They might not be turning it off until noon. Going to go into the hallway and record a video of all the wailing.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My cousin tried to help me get a remote gig with her company, but the highest paying job they had with that feature was 17.50/hr. I'm looking for like 28/hr minimum so I thanked the interviewer for the info and asked them to please let me know if they need someone more technical/experienced with troubleshooting.

I have an in-person interview with a local MSP tomorrow that seems very promising, however. Good thing there are no other things of significance to look forward to on Tuesday

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tacos?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have successfully performed surgery on 3D printer #2 and replaced the LCD screen. The test print was good.

I am honestly shocked I did it correctly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I chose restraint and showed you mercy at the start of last year

Clearly this was a mistake

Clearly you will respect nothing except cold hard documentation explaining your failures and put it on record

But even then I'm still flabbergasted that you chose to go balls to the walls and not provide accurate information reinforcing your position and showing why we should believe you.

I mean the nature of this job means we have to trust you to be an asshole sometimes, but we're going to back you up, all we ask is that you cover your ass and show us that we are right to back you up with accurate information.

Not this bullshit. *thwacks paper*

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Being off all of last week really was good for my mental health. Just an absolute joy with my significant other and completely leaving all work behind. Getting back today sucked but hitting the ground running with work reminded me that I am actually good at my job and am very capable. Now to finish my resume and cover letter and submit my applications for other jobs.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well I didn't get either of the places I interviewed with last week.

I'm just tired really.

I did get my cobra insurance set up at least so i can go back to the dentist appointment i had to cancel last month.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    If you call in "on behalf" of another user (who is on the phone too) having a computer problem and insist on speaking for them when I ask clarifying questions, fuck you.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    If you call in "on behalf" of another user (who is on the phone too) having a computer problem and insist on speaking for them when I ask clarifying questions, fuck you.

It is a horribly common tactic to use to manipulate the elderly into giving up their homes, possessions, & even their freedom. I'm advocating on behalf of someone right now to regain control of their life and it is a fucking nightmare.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Network update. They killed the old one. I saw it happen.

What followed is all the devices that were on the old network then tried to automatically switch over to the working network which then overloaded throughout the district.

Who could have foreseen this?

Also grades are due today.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Another round of layoffs being reported at Amazon.

Well if they want to strike fear in the hearts of people thinking about switching jobs, it's working.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Well if they want to strike fear in the hearts of people thinking about switching jobs, it's working.

It only matters if you're working in Amazon

or are competing with the 9000 people for a job

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Network update. They killed the old one. I saw it happen.

What followed is all the devices that were on the old network then tried to automatically switch over to the working network which then overloaded throughout the district.

Who could have foreseen this?

Also grades are due today.

It's....almost trivial to simply automatically boot cell phones from your enterprise network.

I suppose they could do it this way though.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Orca wrote: »

I was going to say I was cooling off being upset/stifled at work..

But apparently after what I thought was a good week, I riled up my director again by making an off-handed joke about me and a couple devs screwing around with chatgpt. So much so that my director reached out to my team lead and said that the convo I was having was posted in the wrong chat / with the wrong audience, because I was treating it informally.

Whelp. Given that one of the things I'm most known for is my laughter, encouragement of coworkers, and general positive personality.. I guess he doesn't want to see any of that anymore.

... He was quick to say he knew I wasn't screwing around, because of how hard I worked last week. But I know he's gonna use this to continue to feed his biases about my favorite coworkers, who I indirectly implicated.

God. I'd love this job, and almost everything about it, if I reported to literally anyone else.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

But apparently after what I thought was a good week, I riled up my director again by making an off-handed joke about me and a couple devs screwing around with chatgpt. So much so that my director reached out to my team lead and said that the convo I was having was posted in the wrong chat / with the wrong audience, because I was treating it informally.

Whelp. Given that one of the things I'm most known for is my laughter, encouragement of coworkers, and general positive personality.. I guess he doesn't want to see any of that anymore.

... He was quick to say he knew I wasn't screwing around, because of how hard I worked last week. But I know he's gonna use this to continue to feed his biases about my favorite coworkers, who I indirectly implicated.

God. I'd love this job, and almost everything about it, if I reported to literally anyone else.

Bad managers are one of the top reasons people leave their job.

You should leave your job.

• Options
    edited March 2023

At this point it's my own stubbornness and desire not to hurt my coworkers that is stopping me. Which isn't a good enough reason, I know.

I promise I'm listening to everyone, even if I'm not acting yet. I'm actually super excited, because last week I proved I could get all the Splunk elements done that I first got to mess around with a year ago, and further we finally have access to the Ansible environment so I can play with that.

Edit: Actually at this point, I got the confirmation that the director is going to try and use this as ammo against my friend, so I guess I am hurting my coworkers.

Athenor on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

At this point it's my own stubbornness and desire not to hurt my coworkers that is stopping me. Which isn't a good enough reason, I know.

I promise I'm listening to everyone, even if I'm not acting yet. I'm actually super excited, because last week I proved I could get all the Splunk elements done that I first got to mess around with a year ago, and further we finally have access to the Ansible environment so I can play with that.

Edit: Actually at this point, I got the confirmation that the director is going to try and use this as ammo against my friend, so I guess I am hurting my coworkers.

Nah, the director is hurting you all

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Was still feeling crappy this morning so I woke up at 645, called out from work, got the kid off to school, and went back to bed until 2pm. Best decision I've made in a long time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So had my back surgery back in September, my old position wasn't available also it was constant bad stress. Just completed a union training program and got hired as an apprentice meat cutter at an upscale market.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Bullshit.

Your director is hurting the entire team.

You having an offhand conversation while still also working is just being human.

Your director is an ass with an axe to grind and he would be doing so with our without anything you do. He would grind this axe week his teeth.

You are not responsible for the actions of other people.

I love you, but stop taking the world on your shoulders. You are not the only one with agency.

If you don't want a new job, can you find a way to get the director to just..... Go away.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Man the vibes are so off at my work...

I'm genuinely worried I'll make it to my expected jump off point in the summer.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So I was hired on as an IT support tech back in July, and had another new guy start the same day. At that point, we had...I think 10 techs support roughly 1,000 staff. We didn't hire another new tech until the end of October, and then that's been it since then.

Until this month, where we had one new tech start last week, two this week, and another one next week - along with a second IT support coordinator to go with the one that also started in October and is just now starting to get her legs under her.

I only bring this up because up until now I've been a little hesitant to let my boss know I'm not really happy in my role because the team has been stretched so thin and even losing someone relatively new like me would be a pretty big blow to the team. But now that we're finally starting to properly fill out, and we have our 6-month reviews coming up in April, I'm thinking it might be a good time to lay my cards on the table with him. I figure since the pressure is slowly starting to ease off, he won't be as reluctant as he might otherwise be to support my potential move into another area. Not that there's even anything available at the moment, but hopefully by the time there is, the newbies will be trained up and the boss won't be too worried about losing me (which, to be totally honest, I don't think I'm much above average at this job so I doubt he's gonna be too upset regardless).

Not really any bigger point here, just kind of thinking about where things are at vs. where I'd like them to be by summer.

• Options
    Currently dragging my feeting going into work so I do not have to interact with a subordinate whose actions were so undiplomatic ans poorly documented as to warrant my previous post

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So the roof should be flat lad who thinks hes never wrong, salaried by his parents and takes 4 weeks of a year just pulled the most impressive move I've ever seen

For the record I didn't realize what he was doing until the day after but thanks for getting us banned from a cloud and making my job harder and my coworker wanting to leave we all had a nice gig going and ya fucked it all up

All cause he's a open source idiot who doesn't understand software lisences but totally loves landlords don't ask me how you square that circle I gave up a week after meeting him

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    So I was hired on as an IT support tech back in July, and had another new guy start the same day. At that point, we had...I think 10 techs support roughly 1,000 staff. We didn't hire another new tech until the end of October, and then that's been it since then.

Until this month, where we had one new tech start last week, two this week, and another one next week - along with a second IT support coordinator to go with the one that also started in October and is just now starting to get her legs under her.

I only bring this up because up until now I've been a little hesitant to let my boss know I'm not really happy in my role because the team has been stretched so thin and even losing someone relatively new like me would be a pretty big blow to the team. But now that we're finally starting to properly fill out, and we have our 6-month reviews coming up in April, I'm thinking it might be a good time to lay my cards on the table with him. I figure since the pressure is slowly starting to ease off, he won't be as reluctant as he might otherwise be to support my potential move into another area. Not that there's even anything available at the moment, but hopefully by the time there is, the newbies will be trained up and the boss won't be too worried about losing me (which, to be totally honest, I don't think I'm much above average at this job so I doubt he's gonna be too upset regardless).

Not really any bigger point here, just kind of thinking about where things are at vs. where I'd like them to be by summer.

I think there's a way to frame this doesn't make it sound like you -dislike- your current work as much as you'd like to explore and learn more about what other teams do. Because you're not sure you want to do this work forever.

Only mentioning this because it's kind of -a thing- where people take jobs that they don't really want in cool companies (like yours!), and then try to switch teams. I know that's not what you did, but the perception that you did that could ruffle some feathers.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah absolutely, I'm like hyper aware that that's how it could come off which is the last thing I want. I was pretty upfront with him when I started that I hadn't done this kind of work before beyond a hobbyist level so I was coming in not knowing how I might fit into it, so it's not like this would be out of nowhere. But yeah, for sure don't want to come off as ungrateful or having ulterior motives from the beginning.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think an easy way to do it, is to find a team that's relatively adjacent to yours - not so close everyone knows how to deal with them, but not so far that nobody ever deals with them - and sell yourself as a potential liasion/expert in issues your team works with that team on. That'll give you a good angle to talk and work closer with that team, as well as give you an idea of their processes and tech

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

It is a horribly common tactic to use to manipulate the elderly into giving up their homes, possessions, & even their freedom. I'm advocating on behalf of someone right now to regain control of their life and it is a fucking nightmare.

I will offer as a slightly less nefarious thing that I have had to do this as a remote support for MSP before because they need the user to verify account things but the user doesn't know how to explain their problem or understand every direction at times so I'll be there to help do that and to reassure the user that this is legit as they pay the company to be ready support.

But yeah usually there's scamming involved probably

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah my boyfriend is primary carer for an elderly woman with low grade dementia, and he’s not allowed to speak for her (or even try to assist) on certain discussions about medical or legal matters, which means the calls often go nowhere because she can’t always keep track of the conversation or remember why she’s having it (or she’ll just make stuff up to get whoever is talking to her off her back).

There’s a weird, difficult gulf between “not able to reliably self report” and “declared legally incompetent” where people can fall through the cracks. But on the flip side, there’s a lot of room for bad actors to fuck people like that over.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I'm so tired of assholes not following policies and procedures that they helped write and agreed to follow and then wondering why everything is a mess and nothing makes sense, then asking me to decipher the mess

Day after day

I'm going to get feisty about it today and get in trouble tomorrow, but I really don't care

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Currently in fetal position on couch. Stomach ache but too tired and cranky to get up and make myseld happier
    Too tired to [verb]
    Too hungry and wired to sleep

Fick tech issues

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is " I would not trust you to run a hotdog stand at
    a tee ball game!" A good insult for the inventory industry?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Currently in fetal position on couch. Stomach ache but too tired and cranky to get up and make myseld happier
    Too tired to [verb]
    Too hungry and wired to sleep

Fick tech issues

Are you ok, man? I'm worried about you.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is " I would not trust you to run a hotdog stand at
    a tee ball game!" A good insult for the inventory industry?

You couldn’t organise a root in a brothel.

This discussion has been closed.