Options

🖥️🎮 - Penny Larceny: Gig Economy Supervillain out today!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The weird bit about Immortals of Aveum is the interview that Remap did with one of their art folks- she came from Telltale and was incredibly enthusiastic about how great working on a new IP is, and how much work they put into the world building, making it feel like a real place, how the art team used critically endangered US plants as their non-magic flora to hopefully bring more awareness to them, how they have a 20 page story bible that has everyone on the team excited...

And then juxtapose this with one of the most generic looking games I've ever seen in my life.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I get that a lot of people also feel it looks generic, and like story wise maybe, but I think the visual design looks unique at least. Like I can’t think of many games that look exactly like it

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever played a game with the loot system you guys are discussing. Do they tend to mostly be multiplayer?
    Often they're open world single player games, like many Ubisoft's games for the past half decade, or those that take after them (Horizon: Zero Dawn), just oodles of gear drops that don't present a choice more interesting than Green Arrow Good Red Arrow Bad. But, as complained above, the problem is that it's seeped into every other popular genre also.

Oh then I guess I've definitely played them. I've just blanked out the loot stuff.

I think around Dragon Age Inquisition I basically stopped paying attention to gear in games where you pick up a lot. I stick with the same stuff until I feel like fights are getting too difficult, and just junk/sell/don't pick up everything else.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Ah Steel Battalion, mech games never did manage to reach your height again

https://youtu.be/BZXoe5TPCaY

There's also some xbox console repair stuff in the beginning cause you know 20 year old game

I really love the dedicated eject button, because if your mech is destroyed and you dont eject in time you actually die and the game deletes your save

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    looks absolutely ideal for controlling this fascinating deep sea vessel I am currently constructing out of a dirty oil drum and some glass panels we have left over from our old shower cubicle, I'm willing to let anyone interested be the test pilot

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I have made similar arguments in the past, but the thing that absolutely goes wrong in most modern loot driven games is that there is almost never any excitement about a drop anymore. And this is even more true in GaaS type games.

The reason for that is that they all have incredibly sanded-down flat power curves. All players need to be within 20% of each other or so if their gear score is the same, so all the green and red arrows are mostly an illusion, or get eaten up by level scaling.
    The thing that broke my brain is the original Destiny 2 campaign, which was all about the PC becoming stronger after Events. The area right after the first mission is also a daily quest area.
    When I first did that daily quest just as I started the campaign, it took 4 shots to kill the enemies there.
    When I returned 20 hours of gameplay later the hero of the universe, an inventory full of elite colors, I had the same daily quest. It took 4 shots to kill the enemies there. The number that popped above their head was 20x higher. The result was the same.

No matter how few or many drops there, the first thing that there needs to be is is a desire. And that should probably come from a build defining item, not a +13% x -4% y.
    And part of that is there needs to be very few gates. One of the things that makes lootbased roguelikes fun is the chance that maybe the Vorpal Sword drops of a gnome on level 2. And isn't always in the chest of Dragonlord Abraxas who you need to be level 45 to start a quest chain to enter his domain, and then it's a 3% upgrade over regular swords.

I also really dislike the Diablo 4 loot direction, which asks you to examine yellow items (called rare but about 1 drops every 30 seconds), to constantly weigh if it could be good in the future if you throw a ton of resources at it. This is similar to Path of Exile. The actual legendary drops mostly don't matter. What matters is that I vendor 20 inventories in the right way to generate resources for this process. It feels so much like work.

Elden Ring for instance is much more fun to me, because that game is way less balanced than other AAA items. And yeah, the Moonlight sword was perhaps a bit too good and too easy to get, and the Sword of Night and Flames needed to be nerfed.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I mean, that's why they're legendary swords

they're legendary

if they feel like a non legendary sword then you're only collecting them for the aesthetics or so that other people know how much you grinded

and thanks but I left """e-peen comparisons""" back with oversized WoW pauldrons in 2006

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    looks absolutely ideal for controlling this fascinating deep sea vessel I am currently constructing out of a dirty oil drum and some glass panels we have left over from our old shower cubicle, I'm willing to let anyone interested be the test pilot

if you tried to do this the entire Steel Battalion community would show up to your place, murder you, burn your house down, scrap your sub, and then leave after putting the controller into a hermetically sealed box before doing a full service on it and getting it to someone who wants to use it to play the game.

• Options
    yup, all six of them

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    they are very, VERY motivated.

They've even found ways to modify those controllers to, for example, reduce overall wear on the pedals since as originally manufactured, over years of use, some of the internal components thereof will simply break.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I once got to play in one of those battletech pods

That was way cooler than steel battalion imho

Uriel on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh man, today I discovered one of my all-time childhood favourite games, which was unavailable for decades, got a 30th anniversary release in 2021 on Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObcdSbK96A

The only reason I discovered it existed at all is because I couldn't remember the name of the sequel to Another World, a completely unrelated game, and when I googled Flashback this came up in the Google autocomplete. Turrican Flashback for Switch? WTF is that?

More importantly: Brolo, why didn't you tell me back in January 2021?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh man, today I discovered one of my all-time childhood favourite games, which was unavailable for decades, got a 30th anniversary release in 2021 on Switch.

The only reason I discovered it existed at all is because I couldn't remember the name of the sequel to Another World, a completely unrelated game, and when I googled Flashback this came up in the Google autocomplete. Turrican Flashback for Switch? WTF is that?

Holy shit, the music in that trailer is 80s as fuck

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »

The actual sequel to Another World can go two ways, either the official sequel Heart of the Alien (Sega CD exclusive, original creator barely involved, the game is *palmwaggle* okay) or the spiritual successor Heart of Darkness, which is phenomenal.

• Options
    Heart of Darkness straight up gave me nightmares

your kid dies in so many fucked up pixelated ways

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Rated E for Everyone~

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMTsmkgeTI
    Become the ultimate badass in Trepang2: A gory, action-packed FPS set in the distant future. Unleash all hell on your enemies, dodge bullets and leave a trail of destruction in this hardcore and frenetic shooter.
    20230621 Trepang2 (Gore Violent Action FPS Bullet Time Indie)

• Options

Super Mario RPG Remake

Super Mario RPG Remake out Nov 17th

oh hey, it actually happened

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuck yesssssssss

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    What Faustian deal did they have to sign with square to make it happen

And will Nintendo now consider it part of the Mario Canon

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Aw shit, a those obnoxious Geno fans have woken from their deep slumber to haunt us once more.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Nintendo. Please. All I ask for is a Ring Fit 2.

It has helped me so much.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man, this Mario looks real good

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Aw shit, a those obnoxious Geno fans have woken from their deep slumber to haunt us once more.

Man forget Geno, the Mallow resurgence is upon us

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    also a new 2D mario

No this actually marks the end of the New 2D Marios, hope this helps

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    also a new 2D mario

Sorry but you didn't include the most important image

4a363dsidatm.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

This feels like a sequel to Super Mario Bros 2.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That game is going to be some kid's first Mario game, the one that becomes their baseline, and when they go back and play the older ones they're going to be like "lol wtf Mario doesn't even turn into an elephant in this? I guess they didn't really figure out what made a Mario game until 2023, dang"

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm way more excited for this than a new 3d Mario, I realized while watching, that looks fantastic

I only caught the end of the Direct so I'm going back to restart it now but I'll say that new Warioware looks great too, way better than the last one, and I'm excited by the new shit they showed off for Star Ocean Second Departure R

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i love that first pic

mario like "yup falling agan fuck it let's ride it out"

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

square: alright, you can do it. but you have to promise to never, ever put geno in smash

nintendo: sweet, we weren't going to do that anyway

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

square: alright, you can do it. but you have to promise to never, ever put geno in smash

nintendo: sweet, we weren't going to do that anyway

you jest but I wouldn't be surprised if part of the deal didn't include exact additions of the FF7 remake sequel characters to the next eventual smash game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Twitch is doing a bunch of free giveaways for Amazon Prime members for Prime Day, right now you can claim a free GOG DRM-free copy of Prey (2017), and coming soon are Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition (GOG), Shovel Knight Showdown (Amazon), and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Amazon). There's also a ton of other freebies including games and in-game items for a bunch of other stuff right now here.

EDIT: Oh sick the GOG version of Prey comes with a free download of the soundtrack, which includes the opening theme and Mind Game, hell yeah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOGu05q-Ch4

I love how Gordon Morgan is tapping their foot to the music while in the helicopter ride at the beginning.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAWpM2jBw9c

New Warframe update is out, with a new frame to get.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I didn't get to see the direct, did it say if the mariorpg would have the square elements, like is the crystal boss still in it

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    they are very, VERY motivated.

They've even found ways to modify those controllers to, for example, reduce overall wear on the pedals since as originally manufactured, over years of use, some of the internal components thereof will simply break.

Do you by chance have a link to that? My controller is relatively low mileage but I was always kinda suspicious of those pedals. As far as I can tell the actual pedals are metal but like, everything else is just plastic.

That controller is rad, but that video doesn’t lie, that game is so fucking hard.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the direct, did it say if the mariorpg would have the square elements, like is the crystal boss still in it

there is no mario rpg without square elements it's a joint product

catdz3eou2eb.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
This discussion has been closed.