Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Kiss a bear and grapple with the horrifying slug living in your brain

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited September 2023 in Social Entropy++
It's huge, it's horny, it's the most anticipated CRPG of the year, it's Baldur's Gate 3 baby.

Please make judicious use of spoiler tags as the game is still very new!

later, but important edit: The Dark Urge and a regular custom character are not the same thing. I'm mentioning this because I imagine at least one other person will be a silly dingus like I was and not realize they're separate options that are just located in different places on the character creation UI for no apparent reason, and I don't want anyone else to have to restart after twenty hours after it gets pointed out to them.

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Some friends of mine actually want to attempt a full party co-op start next week.

Now we just need to figure out party composition before Tuesday, lest everyone show up with a Sorcalock.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Some friends of mine actually want to attempt a full party co-op start next week.

Now we just need to figure out party composition before Tuesday, lest everyone show up with a Sorcalock.

Oops All Clerics

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Oops All Clerics

honestly, this isn't even a bad party comp if you all picked different domains.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thief just gets an additional free bonus action at level 3, yes

It is absolutely fucking wild

I think it's really good for Rogue specifically because it lets you Cunning Action and off-hand attack in the same turn, but most classes already can't make use of 1 Bonus Action so taking 3 levels of multiclass just to get a second probably doesn't do much. The feats that make bonus actions cracked in the tabletop seem to largely be absent here.

Jump is a bonus action

Shove is a bonus action

Level 2 Rogue makes Dash a bonus action

Flurry of Blows is a bonus action

Flourish and Pommel Strike and some other "weapon actions" are bonus actions

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Oops All Clerics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQQAYa_3mI

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Thief just gets an additional free bonus action at level 3, yes

It is absolutely fucking wild

I think it's really good for Rogue specifically because it lets you Cunning Action and off-hand attack in the same turn, but most classes already can't make use of 1 Bonus Action so taking 3 levels of multiclass just to get a second probably doesn't do much. The feats that make bonus actions cracked in the tabletop seem to largely be absent here.

Jump is a bonus action

Shove is a bonus action

Throwing stuff is a bonus action

Level 2 Rogue makes Dash a bonus action

Flurry of Blows is a bonus action

Flourish and Pommel Strike and some other "weapon actions" are bonus actions

Eh, none of these are good enough to give up three class levels for if that's the only reason you're taking Rogue levels. Very nice little extra if you want to take Rogue levels anyway, but, like, a Wizard taking 3 levels in Rogue just to get a free bonus for these is extremely not worth compared to what you're giving up.

Realistically unless you can make use of Sneak Attack I really don't think it's an effect use of levels to take 3 levels in Rogue when the cap is 12.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Carrying over:
    I've been doing the first map in a very haphazard order and they clearly did not plan for this, characters keep referencing things I haven't done yet or dialogue options I purposefully didn't choose. That's the peril of making your massive game a completely open world, I guess.

Do you have examples? Cause I haven't seen that at all.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Carrying over:
    I've been doing the first map in a very haphazard order and they clearly did not plan for this, characters keep referencing things I haven't done yet or dialogue options I purposefully didn't choose. That's the peril of making your massive game a completely open world, I guess.

Do you have examples? Cause I haven't seen that at all.

I don't know how much would or wouldn't be spoilers but I ran into a story event that definitely assumes I'd finished the rest of the map and referenced information I didn't have yet, and had a conversation with Nettie where she referenced dialogue options I specifically avoided.

edit: to be clear I'm not complaining, I think something like this is inevitable in a game that's gone for this scale and then turns you loose on a largely open map that you can navigate at your leisure.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I made a gnome bard as my first character and I'm really enjoying how all these big, powerful fighter types immediately, without question, accept that the tiny music man in stripey pyjamas should be leading the group and making all the decisions.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Oops All Clerics

One of my friends and I are both playing Clerics (of different domains) in our respective solo games, so at the very least the two of us are going to pick something else.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played significantly with an origin? My instinct is it'll be more interesting to talk to those characters but maybe it really changes your dialogue options?

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I’m having a great time with this so far. I went with a mostly-randomly generated Githyanki with a dashing moustache who’s a Charlatan Rogue. I’m enjoying how much he’s suited to moderately self-interested evil. He has a ready-made excuse to be standoffish and focused on the ghaik.

May roll up someone new soon just to try a weirder build though!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    This game is consuming my life. I played a bunch of my solo campaign today, and am about to go play a different campaign with friends. It's a good game

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    This game is consuming my life. I played a bunch of my solo campaign today, and am about to go play a different campaign with friends. It's a good game

I’d be interested to hear how that goes! I kinda want to play it with some distant pals but I don’t know how many will already have it and if it’s going to be $60 a pop for people I don’t want to find out the multiplayer element is too fiddly.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Are ya'll doing character screens? It's me, a warlock, using a magical necklace to invoke and speak with the dead-

d9ep9phdjldg.jpg

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'll be sure to report back! First time trying it, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Talking to animals rules and it the best skill in the game. I really like just rolling up in an area and finding a bird to be like “yo, what’s really going on here?”

But also, some animals are dicks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I met Raphael and it's a delight listening to his voice actor make an absolute buffet of the scenery.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I think the main thing to be aware of is that player 2-4 do not get to take progression with them. A coop partner is essentially a hireling in someone elses campaign. So I think that either you have to be really devoted about playing as a group, or you have to be ok with only seeing snippets of the story, and the MC needs to be the person who is most likely to be there every time.

I saw GB play 3 player coop, and the main problem there was that 2 of the people didn't really understand the system, so they were spending their actions poorly, and then getting mauled. So you either need to really learn, or play on Story.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    After reaching lvl 4 and seeing the list of Feats, I think my next project will be an unarmed but very burly bard with the tavern brawler feat.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Had my reminder that in certain varieties of DnD, "two levels higher" might as well be "a professional shit-stomper versus me, a pile of shit"

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Had my reminder that in certain varieties of DnD, "two levels higher" might as well be "a professional shit-stomper versus me, a pile of shit"

This game allows you to punch way above your weight class through environmental trickery and bonus action though.

An example about a Big Thing down below some goblins in Act 1
    When you first see a 125hp health bar and level 5 and adds, you could despair. But with stealth you can shoot out the eggs, and then you can open with fire damage on her web, causing a fall, which deals 30 damage. Her teleport spot is on another web, another 30 damage for 1 action. Then I pushed a medium spider with a bonus action, used 1 OP arrow for AoE. I washed off poison with create water. The boss did then insta my rogue, but I killed her the next round.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

This game allows you to punch way above your weight class through environmental trickery and bonus action though.

An example about a Big Thing down below some goblins in Act 1
    When you first see a 125hp health bar and level 5 and adds, you could despair. But with stealth you can shoot out the eggs, and then you can open with fire damage on her web, causing a fall, which deals 30 damage. Her teleport spot is on another web, another 30 damage for 1 action. Then I pushed a medium spider with a bonus action, used 1 OP arrow for AoE. I washed off poison with create water. The boss did then insta my rogue, but I killed her the next round.

I just saw that shit and noped right out of there.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

To the rafters for you!

To the pits for them!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm only ~3 hours of very slow gameplay in on this, and I'm having to force myself out of the mindset in more straightforward video game RPGs where your best bet is usually just to hit stuff as hard and fast as you can until it's dead

whereas it seems like in D&D (which I've never really played outside a couple one-shots) you really have to be willing to use turns to buff/debuff, use status abilities, cleanse yourself, put yourself in advantageous positions, etc.

I'm playing on easy mode so I doubt it'll get too nuts, but definitely something to keep in mind

• Options
    I really like this puppy and I see myself spending a lot of time on it over the next few months, but I do have a few minor gripes:

-Average level in the area you're walking into is in no way indicated. In early game especially, as Pooro noted, a couple levels is a huge difference. Already I've walked into an area expecting a normal fight and found myself facing a level 5 paladin who knocked Lae'zel unconscious and then deathblowed her in a single turn, because he was level 5 and my party is level 3.

-Spells and abilities don't have their full tooltips. I've groused about this before, but it's really annoying that even when turning on full tooltips it still truncates them and doesn't have full detailed tooltips, especially as there are enough changes from 5e tabletop that I can't just assume spells work the same way.

-The perception check range for traps is way too small. Much of the time as I notice I've started rolling a check, my character walks into the trap. I'd really like it the radius were larger, or if rolling the check stopped movement.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because I did buy the game two weeks ago but my computer died. So I have talked about how I just built this one {I was building over time but things like the pandemic and the rise and fall of bitcoin had prevented me from getting parts for it}
    I have asked if my brother is interested in it since he has the free time. He like me vaguely knows D&D. But he complains that a lot of the videos and info he talks about talk about the one way to play the game or power game BS
    I don't know what he would play

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Posted this in the youtube thread, but... (NSFW)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's very funny that a level 5 enemy fucks you up when you're level three in this because in the tabletop version of D&D, that's...not really how it works

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

Bard gets an amazing bonus dialogue choice for this
    you offer to write it as erotica for them

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    It's very funny that a level 5 enemy fucks you up when you're level three in this because in the tabletop version of D&D, that's...not really how it works

Level 5 monsters, agreed, but a party of level 5 enemies that are PC classes will very much truck a part of level 3 PCs. Level 5 is a huge breakpoint for PC classes.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I ended up repeatedly throwing that paladins companion off the a ladder, which will teach him for downing two of my party members in one turn

Jerk.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I have a solo story and a friend campaign, the friend campaign we're progressing through together and I haven't found any issues with the conversations/choosing who is talking/etc - it feels a lot like letting people decide who gets to talk at a table game of D&D, where everyone still kinda gets the info anyway

I think the private screen checkbox is cool if you and your pals got *hardcore* about it and wanted to roleplay, or keep things secret if someone was playing that role in another game

The only way I could see playing with pals being a worse experience is if you have friends who skip dialogue or run off and trigger a bunch of quests/dialogue without you

Looking forward to this game getting WEIRD with it when we all root each other on with our uncomfortable BioWare romances, gonna be weird to video game flirt with an AUDIENCE

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

Bard gets an amazing bonus dialogue choice for this
    you offer to write it as erotica for them

I have seen a video with a barbarian kink shaming them leading to a fight

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Cello wrote: »
    I have a solo story and a friend campaign, the friend campaign we're progressing through together and I haven't found any issues with the conversations/choosing who is talking/etc - it feels a lot like letting people decide who gets to talk at a table game of D&D, where everyone still kinda gets the info anyway

I think the private screen checkbox is cool if you and your pals got *hardcore* about it and wanted to roleplay, or keep things secret if someone was playing that role in another game

The only way I could see playing with pals being a worse experience is if you have friends who skip dialogue or run off and trigger a bunch of quests/dialogue without you

Looking forward to this game getting WEIRD with it when we all root each other on with our uncomfortable BioWare romances, gonna be weird to video game flirt with an AUDIENCE

Mrs. Red Robe and I played Divinity Original Sin 2 (the last game by this developer) together and it got real awkward when it turned out the romance end was a fully voice narrated sex scene between my guy and his elf girlfriend. :D

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    is it possible to get locked out of recruiting any party members in this?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    is it possible to get locked out of recruiting any party members in this?

Soft early party spoilers
    You can fuck up and kill a whole bunch of them rather than recruiting them yes

My party accidentally got the Githyanki lady killed and it's gonna be interesting seeing what effect that has on the game

If you're concerned, make sure to make a ton of quicksaves in the first 3 areas (probably a good habit regardless)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Getting 45fps at 1080p on medium settings on my old rig, you love to see it. I was afraid their idea of minimum experience was 20 fps average on low. GPU is 70c but too bad buddy.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Everyone show me your characters, I wanna see your pretty little freaks

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    YxXIyTh.png

My Dragon Champion Fighter, "borrowing" another NPC's armour.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
This discussion has been closed.