As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in Canada

msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, my fiancée and I are heading up to Canada for the latter half of the July 4th week. We plan on going through Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec. What are some of the things we shouldn't miss?

msuitepyon on

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, theres usually a friendship festival somewhere along the border the week of July 1-4, and you might catch some of that if you time it right. Otherwise, it's all tourist traps in Toronto anyway. You might be able to swing one of the broadway type shows that are playing downtown if you are lucky, depending on whats playing.

You could catch the Festival of Fire, which is just an excuse to fireworks in the air. http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/events/festival.html That's taking place all that week, with:

Canada
    July 1st, 2007

U.S.A.
    July 4th, 2007

Finale
    July 7th, 2007

You are apparently juuuust missing a Jazz festival happening in Toronto the week prior.

Go here if you wish to see the upcoming events in Toronto. Canada

http://www.eyeweekly.com/

Good luck and safe driving. You'll see.

Error on
  • Options
    Mr. AzMr. Az Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The main thing in Quebec City around that time is the Quebec City Summer Festival which usually bring a lot of action in all the downtown/old town area.

Main stage shows usually have attendance between 50,000 to 80,000 people.

You can also just walk around the Old Town/"Grande Allée" area, there's always something to do there.

Mr. Az on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can catch the tail end of the Montreal International Jazz Festival.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    See if there's a game playing at Rogers' Stadium. It's really cool if they open the dome. It's a nice place with a gigantic screen and a great atmosphere. Niagara's not too far from Toronto, you might want to hit that too if you run out of things to do.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This summer is great both the Montreal Jazz fest and the Quebec festival both have a lot of great artists/bands. Oh and there's also the Just for Laughs Festival at the beggining of july in Montreal. Don't know anything about Toronto tho.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Do you like soccer? Cause if you do you might want to catch a Toronto FC game or a FIFA U20 World Cup game in either Toronto or Montreal.

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're looking for the typical tourist-y type things, everyone that comes over from England to my place usually wants to see the CN Tower, Niagara Falls.

Generally tourists in Montreal want to see Mount Royal, but if you're going, aim for about sunset to get the best pictures. Toronto I'd say if you're interested at all there's a pretty good theme park, Canada's Wonderland.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In Toronto, if you like art, there's the AGO that's alright. Not sure what they're featuring now though. The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) is ok if you've never been there before. Umm... CN Tower is fun, but expensive. The restaurant at the top is ludicrously expensive.

If you're into strip clubs they get all the way naked here. Just sayin'.

The harbourfront is a nice place just to walk around. There are some really nice restaurants there, too (like Pier 51).

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is a great destination imo. The g/f and I loved it when we want last summer, and it wasn't fully open then either due to the new exhibit being built that's open now.

EDIT: It's in Toronto, I forgot to mention.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Titty bars eh?

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Montreal has some of the best strip clubs in the world, and there is no "offical" anti prostitution laws on the books, so if you and your wife are into 3somes and what not....

on a less adult natured side of it, hitting the Jazz festival is a good idea, and as stated you will hit the tail end of it. you might also want to try a Cirque de Soli (i know I butcherd the spelling) show. sadly the F1 race was weeks ago.

as for toronto and Quebec City, I do not know what to tell you as I have never been there.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck, if you're going in that direction hit up Ottawa. You'll be passing through when Bluesfest is going on which has a bunch of cool artists playing. But I think Ottawa isn't that bad since it is small enough that you can explore alot of what it has to offer and not be overwhelmed.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're a fan of the Evil Dead movies, you must see the Evil Dead musical when you're in Toronto. It's fantastic. Sit in the splatter zone and get covered in blood!

There's also the Hockey Hall of Fame, if you're a hockey fan.

elevature on