As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor woes

NorayNoray Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey G&T, so I just got my new monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 931BW and it's pretty great but there's one thing that's bothering me. It's got a DVI output and an VGA output, and apparently DVI is better since this is a flatpanel and all. I have a Geforce 7600GT and it has DVI inputs. The problem is that when I hook the monitor up to the DVI input, it stays black and just says "Check signal input." So now I'm on the VGA output, through a DVI>VGA adapter thingy, and it works fine, but I just want to get the most out of this monitor, so I hope maybe one of you knows what the problem could be. Thanks.

Noray on

• Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, I have a slightly similar setup (Samsung Syncmaster 203B running through a Geforce 7800GS) and am currently running though the DVI input.

Does the problem occur when you just switch the inputs? That is, you're running Windows, and you take it out of VGA and put it into DVI? I seem to recall that I tried that and it doesn't work.

Then I shut down the computer and started it with the monitor plugged into DVI and it worked fine.

Of course you could have already tried that. If so, do you see the POST information at all through DVI?

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought you also had to change it from analog to digital in the monitor settings (not in windows on the monitor it self). I could be wrong though.

Also, if DVI doesn't work for what ever reason don't worry about it VGA looks pretty much the same.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I tried those two things separately and that didn't work, but combining them (PC off and switching cables, selecting digital) worked.

However! Now for some reason I can't get my resolution above 1152x864, which looks crap because the native resolution is 1440x900 (I think). I have installed the drivers, rebooted, but it doesn't work for some reason. Any ideas?

Noray on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited June 2007
    The resolution should be 1680 X 1050 (Native) and if you can't get it too that...then I'm not sure.

Can you select that with VGA?

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I'm back on VGA and the native resolution is indeed 1440x900, I have a 19", the one you're referring to is for 20 or 22" screens I believe. Oh well, looks like I'm sticking to VGA then.

Noray on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited June 2007
    I see, well VGA really is just as good if not the same. I actually saw a better picture on my dads LCD when he used VGA. DVI fucked up the blacks.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    burritolordburritolord Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had a similar issue with my Dell. I upgraded the video card and hooked it up via DVI (the old one was DVI as well). It would work fine for several minutes and then would just fade to black and go into what appeard to be a sleep mode. It said to move the mouse or keyboard to wake it up. It didn't work and the only thing I could think of was that I have to PS2 connectors and that was causing it to not go out of sleep mode. I checked all the power management settings as well as all the menus on the monitor, but with no luck. After much searching on various forums and google groups it seems like a fairly common problem with Dell computers with no real solution. I have it hooked up via VGA and it works fine, but it was getting frustruating so I just gave up and dealt with it being VGA instead of DVI.

burritolord on
    nachobandit.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had a similar issue with my Dell. I upgraded the video card and hooked it up via DVI (the old one was DVI as well). It would work fine for several minutes and then would just fade to black and go into what appeard to be a sleep mode. It said to move the mouse or keyboard to wake it up. It didn't work and the only thing I could think of was that I have to PS2 connectors and that was causing it to not go out of sleep mode. I checked all the power management settings as well as all the menus on the monitor, but with no luck. After much searching on various forums and google groups it seems like a fairly common problem with Dell computers with no real solution. I have it hooked up via VGA and it works fine, but it was getting frustruating so I just gave up and dealt with it being VGA instead of DVI.

Are you serious!?! Just last week my monitor stopped waking up. It was so annoying I turned off sleep for the monitor. I have been power-cycling it to get it back on. Can you send me some links about this problem? I didn't find it on Dell's site.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    burritolordburritolord Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sharp10r wrote: »

Are you serious!?! Just last week my monitor stopped waking up. It was so annoying I turned off sleep for the monitor. I have been power-cycling it to get it back on. Can you send me some links about this problem? I didn't find it on Dell's site.

I think the bulk of my information came from Google Groups. I got sick of fighting it so I switched it to VGA. I still like my theory that the inability to wake up the monitor is due to it looking for a ps2 signal...that is my story and I am sticking to it! :)

burritolord on
    nachobandit.png