As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

1202122232426»

• Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm, I'll give a it try Wulf, that's not a bad idea.

What I mean by 'physical' is the actual quality 'physical', as in, it will collide with the environment. Anything you attach to your avatar cannot have the 'physical' quality (like buildings, etc), so if I attached some giant stilts to my legs, instead of colliding with the ground and allowing me to walk on them, they would just clip through the ground.

Hm.... now that I think about it, that transformers sim had a couple of avatars that DID actually collide... I wonder how the hell they accomplished that. I'm going to experiment.

Actually I've got something for you. Some guy gave me a free totally modifiable robot avatar, about 5-6 times regular avatar height. The animation is a bit clunky, but it works. I think how it works is they set the default animation so that it's super high up on the Z-axis, then attach everything onto the body from there. If you watch the thing move around in wireframe mode, you can actually see your avatar inside the thing. If you want a copy, give me your in-game name and I will send it on over. (If anyone else wants, let me know as well.)

Also, in unrelated news, I abandoned my ninja idea, I hate working with uploading textures... so now I'm working on a regular sized robot. I need more textures! And not those damn 10billion textures in a library things, I can't browse that, it takes too damn long. I need some place where I can preview textures before getting them. Any ideas people?

veritas1 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nope, your fucked. Get those freebie 1,000 textures or whatever it is, sort them into quaint folders, like "Metal, wood, etc." and then get started from there.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nope, your fucked. Get those freebie 1,000 textures or whatever it is, sort them into quaint folders, like "Metal, wood, etc." and then get started from there.

You just broke my heart Cynic.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay guys! I am working on a grand steampunk project, and would like some help. If anyone is willing to, I want to create a Clockworked theme Sim/area. Gears, polished ticking gears, and all that awesome jazz. I am really astonished that Babbage doesn't really have anything like that yet, but I doubt I will get into Babbage without at least a working demo area or something.

Anyways, I could use a few brilliant minds to help me a long. I have many great concepts and am currently working on them and trying to get them to work with SL. Anybody interested?

Oh! And I have an issue regarding uploading sound to SL. I keep getting this fucking error because apparently my tracks aren't at the right sample rate, which apparently they are according to Audacity, any help?

Sounderror.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That sounds awesome. I would lend a hand, but I'm really bad at building. :P

I've also been a little sad about Babbage's lack of a clockwork area. I'd probably hang out there more if they had one. (I have this weird obsession with gears. It's probably where my love of Steampunk came from.)

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    AaronKI wrote: »
    That sounds awesome. I would lend a hand, but I'm really bad at building. :P

I've also been a little sad about Babbage's lack of a clockwork area. I'd probably hang out there more if they had one. (I have this weird obsession with gears. It's probably where my love of Steampunk came from.)

Pick up a skill, maybe scripting? That's always a good one.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Rise from your (virtual) grave!

So there's plans for a Second Life sequel. Is there call for this? Is Second Life still popular?

http://www.techdigest.tv/2014/06/second_life_sequel_on_the_way.html

Given they're not looking too much at backwards compatibility will the existing population of Second Life, with everything they've created, step over to the sequel?

I now feel somewhat compelled to take a tour of Second Life again, but every time I try I just get horribly lost and have no idea what I'm doing.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    1) This didn't necessitate a necropost. After six years you can just make a new thread.
    2) It should be in the MMO subforum anyways since this thread might actually predate it.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.