As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me build a computer!

Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, a power outage fried my motherboard the other day, and I've decided that the time has come to just get a new machine - the old one was sort of falling apart anyway (neither of the optical drives worked, only one 80GB hard drive, shitty video card, etc). Also, my parents are willing to pay for half of a new one, since it's a legitimate school expense.

I've been picking through options and learning as I go, and here's what I've come up with.

Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan
$138 CDN including shipping
Nothing flashy, but it's a solid case with a 500W Antec power supply, and the free shipping alone is worth a lot.

BIOSTAR TA690G AM2 Socket AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard With HDMI Port - Retail
$90 US
Good reviews from third-party sites, integrated video has dual monitor support and HDMI and should be able to run older games just fine.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
$90 US
It's RAM, it's 2GB, nobody on Newegg has complained about it destroying their megahurtz.

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D/BEBE - OEM
$30 US
Basic IDE DVD burner.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail
with
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$151 US for both
I had been planning on a slower processor - a 3800+, maybe a 4000+ - but with the combo deal for $25 off, it's worth the extra bit for the upgrade.

Some notes on the system:
- I've been officially banned from playing games of any sort while living under my parents' roof. The new computer and I will be moving out in September, but my abstinence means I have about six years of backlog to catch up on before worrying about whether my system can handle the latest games. The integrated card should chew through older stuff just fine, and if I do decide to upgrade, the motherboard has a PCI-E 16x slot free.
- Dual monitor support is pretty awesome.
- In a year or so, when I'm done with school and get my own semi-permanent place, I plan on rewarding myself with a decent gaming rig, at which point this little guy will be turned into a pretty awesome HTPC. It's quiet - the case has noise-reducing features, and the motherboard uses passive cooling for everything including the integrated video - and has an HDMI port as well as S-Video.

Is there anything I'm missing here? For now, the system just needs to be able to handle schoolwork and older, less-intensive games like Mount & Blade and the old Black Isle RPGs. The total cost is $530 CDN including shipping, which isn't bad at all considering the shitty off-the-shelf HP discount abortion my parents were trying to talk me into was $499 plus tax, $568 total (and that was for a prebuilt with a totally inadequate power supply, no brand name parts, and a slower processor and less RAM than my build here).

Kate of Lokys on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm curious as to why you have a Micro ATX motherboard going into a standard sized case.

devoir on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like having room to work in, especially since this is going to be the first computer I've assembled from scratch myself. A microATX board should fit just fine in a standard ATX case, and I chose both of the components after a fair bit of research - I'm pretty sure they're exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd also like to avoid the possibility of running into space problems if I try to add a video card in a microATX case.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's cool; I just figured I'd check. By the looks of it, you could probably pull all that stuff out and put it into a micro ATX case for small form factor HTPC coolness.

The components all up look pretty solid, it's the kind of thing I'd recommend to my brother for university work.

devoir on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Get another 120 x 120 fan for the case. I think it should have a open slot on the front for intake.
    Or I might be mixing it up with another case.

Burning Organ on