Options

Full Metal Alchemist (spoiler warning)

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Texhnolyze is very dark, but it's confusing, and doesn't make much sense. The first episode has no dialogue.

Serial Experiments Lain was the creators' first series, and it's still one of my favorites. It's dark, complex, but it actually can make sense with enough repeated viewings. Texhnolyze, not so much.
    D:

D:

My god I did not know about this. I loved Lain.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    fma.jpg
    From my Anime Boston excursion. That Al suit is soldered and felted. These are friends-of-the-girlfriend-of-a-friend.

I really loved FMA. I watched some on Cartoon Network when it was on, was a little interested, watched the subtitled version online and thought it was amazing. Great, colorful characters and an interesting world.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've only ever watched the dubbed FMA, and I thought it was fine. Not necessarily up to Bebop levels, but I don't think anything outside of Miyazaki has dubs as good as Bebop.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    i'd do the one on the left

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    Never really seen any FMA, but the concept is fairly interesting.

I've got so many shows and movies that I "should watch" lately, though. My Netflix list is friggin' huge.

I've gotten big time into Avatar: The Last Airbender recently. Holy crap, that show is rad. So good. I love how they have an actual martial arts expert on staff to help with the proper forms and movement of the animation. Plus, the characters aren't totally flat like practically everything else on Nickelodeon. Uncle Iroh is the best.

Hi5 Geek! It only gets better as the series goes on!

Brolo on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Big bwother

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i'd do the one on the left

which left

cause uh

you know

also, ed totally should've nailed winry

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The one with two legs, I think he means.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, this tv-links.co website is pretty much completely illegal, right? Or am I missing something here?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    my fucking left, who else's?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The one with two legs, I think he means.

they both have two

one is just fake

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    my fucking left, who else's?

look all I'm saying here is

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    THE HOT ONE OKAY

Faricazy on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah FMA was pretty cool.

I really really hate dub though, I tried watching a dub episode and couldn't do it. This is the case for pretty much all anime in my opinion though. The last good dub I saw was Princess Mononoke

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Howl's Moving Castle had Billy Crystal in the english dub :^:

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Staleghoti wrote: »

I really really hate dub though, I tried watching a dub episode and couldn't do it. This is the case for pretty much all anime in my opinion though. The last good dub I saw was Princess Mononoke

what the hell?
    the dub for FMA was great.....

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He was the Fire Spirit thing, right?

Yeah, couldn't sit through that either.

I mainly don't watch english dubs for the same reason I wouldn't watch an english movie in japanese.

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He was the Fire Spirit thing, right?

Yeah, couldn't sit through that either.

I mainly don't watch english dubs for the same reason I wouldn't watch an english movie in japanese.
    Whaaa I thought it was just fine. All of Disney's dubs were good. I've actually never even seen Howl's in Japanese. The others, yeah, but not Howl's.

I thought Spirited Away was better in English than in Japanese too.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, Spirited Away actually made me frustrated when I tried to watch the dub.

I've pretty much given up on dub altogether, especially since I've seen Naruto and Bleach on YTV. They make me want to puke

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    MAINER 3.0MAINER 3.0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dubs are for scrubs

also, flog your dog

be sure to beat the shit out of your dog every day.

MAINER 3.0 on
    e1130cc97b22e51a13c9fb00ab1c3451.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Never really seen any FMA, but the concept is fairly interesting.

I've got so many shows and movies that I "should watch" lately, though. My Netflix list is friggin' huge.

I've gotten big time into Avatar: The Last Airbender recently. Holy crap, that show is rad. So good. I love how they have an actual martial arts expert on staff to help with the proper forms and movement of the animation. Plus, the characters aren't totally flat like practically everything else on Nickelodeon. Uncle Iroh is the best.

Hi5 Geek! It only gets better as the series goes on!

I'm almost all the way caught up. They haven't released the final disk of season 2 yet. The last episode I watched was Tales of Ba Sing Se.

Did you know the voice of Zuko is friggin' Rufio from Hook?

ROO FEE OH
    ROO FEE OH
    ROO FEE OH

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

what the hell?
    the dub for FMA was great.....

...until you watch it subbed. The voice-actors sound a lot better and more-emotive for side-characters like Roy Mustang. Ed and Al had great dubbing but minor characters sometimes fell far short of their Japanese counterpart. I only saw the first few episodes in English, however so they may get better.
    I mostly prefer how the fansub I got was worded.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've watched like one episode of Avatar, I liked it alright, but I hate how it seems like every other frame of animation is left out, fuck that

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, Spirited Away actually made me frustrated when I tried to watch the dub.

I've pretty much given up on dub altogether, especially since I've seen Naruto and Bleach on YTV. They make me want to puke

The dub of Steamboy is pretty good since it's got Anna Paquin, Alfred Molina, and Patrick Stewart.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    I've watched like one episode of Avatar, I liked it alright, but I hate how it seems like every other frame of animation is left out, fuck that

Huh? It's very well animated. Especially the action sequences.

They do tend to use some of the choppy anime style conventions for expressing large emotions, kinda like Teen Titans did, but otherwise, the animation is very smooth.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Huh? It's very well animated. Especially the action sequences.

They do tend to use some of the choppy anime style conventions for expressing large emotions, kinda like Teen Titans did, but otherwise, the animation is very smooth.

It might've been from the first season where they were kinda low on cash.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, a majority of the main voice cast for Avatar has little to no previous experience, according to IMDb, but you'd never know it. Aang, Katara, and Sokka are all very well voiced.

But man, you just can't beat Mako (before he died) as Uncle Iroh. The way he delivers lines is so perfect.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Avatar is really just a great show and they need to get the third season out, so Aang can learn to firebend.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Texhnolyze is very dark, but it's confusing, and doesn't make much sense. The first episode has no dialogue.

Serial Experiments Lain was the creators' first series, and it's still one of my favorites. It's dark, complex, but it actually can make sense with enough repeated viewings. Texhnolyze, not so much.
    D:

D:

My god I did not know about this. I loved Lain.

Well, Texhnolyze is as close to the second coming of a Lain-esque mindf' that you're going to find.

It isn't the first series they did since Lain(that was NieA, and Haibane was strictly ABe's brainchild), but it's definitely the most twisted.

And the art is gorgeous.

Texhnolyze_cover.jpg
    Texhnolyze.jpg

Also, Juno Reactor did the intro music(probably the best thing about the series, shy of the outtakes).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the best part about Avatar is that they actually kill some people off

Soup on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On January 8, 2007, Paramount Pictures' MTV Films and Nick Movies announced that they have signed M. Night Shyamalan to write, direct and produce a trilogy of live-action films based on the series, the first of which will encompass the main characters' adventures of Book one. The film is now in a dispute with James Cameron's film Avatar regarding title ownership.[48]

Avatar co-creators Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko have come forward to voice their opinion within an interview regarding M. Night Shymalan writing, directing and producing the film. The two displayed much enthusiasm over Shyamalan's decision for the adaption, stating that they admire his work and he in turn respects their material. This newfound information dispels fears that the co-creators were going to be left completely out of the creative process as Paramount did not specify their level of contribution when initial announcements of the deal with Shyamalan came forward

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but did anyone else just absolutely fucking loathe the movie?

I wish they had just waited for the manga to finish before doing anymore.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    welcome to january 8, 2007

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but did anyone else just absolutely fucking loathe the movie?

anime hitlerstache

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

The series and manga split off from each other pretty heavily rather early on.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, a majority of the main voice cast for Avatar has little to no previous experience, according to IMDb, but you'd never know it. Aang, Katara, and Sokka are all very well voiced.

But man, you just can't beat Mako (before he died) as Uncle Iroh. The way he delivers lines is so perfect.
    Mako_Tribute.jpg

Soup on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah, around episode 20 or so, and I really wish it hadn't. Show kind of went off the rails with the retarded and the plotholes a lot in the second half.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah, around episode 20 or so, and I really wish it hadn't. Show kind of went off the rails with the retarded and the plotholes a lot in the second half.

I loved it.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't know, things like
    Wrath being able to magically use Alchemy because he had Ed's arm when it was clear alchemy required the user to have a soul
    really ate at me and
    Robo-Archer
    was just stupid.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    so guys

the FMA manga
    what the fuck is Pride's power

Soup on
This discussion has been closed.