As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some of my Old sketches

HALOPENHALOPEN Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
arbitervf6.jpg
The Arbiter Rocks!

mc2la8.jpg
MC (sadly taped)

mcao8.jpg
Feminine Rocket Chief...

I have other paintings and stuff but i work best with lead, I may include future works here and update as so! ;-)

mcyayer7.png
HALOPEN FILMS
www.halopen.com
HALOPEN on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    for your sake, don't draw on lined paper.
    also, like everyone will tell you here, you need to learn anatomy.
    keep working, and practicing, but also make sure you're learning the basics.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You should try drawing some human characters who aren't wearing body armor or baggy clothing, to get a better idea of how the anatomy underneath looks.

Right now you seem to be doing a good job of translating all the small details of the master chief's armor into your drawing, but the form underneath is flawed. Take a look at the groin and knee of the master chief in the last picture, or at how her abdomen is foreshortened incorrectly (where are her abdominal muscles?) - if you go back and draw her nude undeneath all that you'll probably see where you went wrong.

And yeah man, get yourself a sketchbook! Lined paper is the devil, you want all your drawings preserved on nice blank paper.

Brolo on
  • Options
    NeoKingNeoKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pick up the new How To Draw Transformers book. I know it sounds cheese but it has some good stuff in it on armor.

NeoKing on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The second picture looks like Master Chief is rubbing his crotch.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    Pick up the new How To Draw Transformers book. I know it sounds cheese but it has some good stuff in it on armor.

you can believe this advice... i mean, it comes with credentials

In all seriousness. Are you copying these from already existing images? If so... look harder.
    If not.. you really need to lay down some basics before you jump into these images, I know we all start that way, you draw master chief..probably starting with the helmet, think "that's cool, i'll do the rest" and by the time you get to the bottom it's all gone haywire. That last one for example, has incredibly distorted and wisened old lady legs. The thickness of the armor and all the man contained within has been lost.

If you put down even just a rudimentary stick figure first then you'll know where those legs are going to be, and you can plan accordingly.

As halo drawings go i've seen much worse, but if you're interested in improving.. you'll need to be drawing a whole bunch of non halo characters to learn what's happening underneath that armor.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    HALOPENHALOPEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the last picture was basically a failed attempt to fuse 2 pics together. and since others said it made chief look like a lady, then i started calling it a feminine rocket chief. I have much better work, this is a lot of early stuff. and the second pic was a doodle that took me about 15 minutes of class time just remembering scenes from the Halo 3 announcement TRAILER. I avoid ddrawing on lined paper as much as i can.

HALOPEN on
    mcyayer7.png
    HALOPEN FILMS
    www.halopen.com