Options

Games You Never Saw Again -- B.F.F. Edition

• Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I let some guy borrow:

Dreamcast / Marvel vs Capcom / Sonic Adventure

He fell off the face of the earth after a week. What a dick.

He probably took it to Paramount or Bellflower because he knew you would go in there looking for it ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lost a copy of Pilotwings (SNES) somewhere over the years. I don't remember if I lent it out or what, but it just mysteriously disappeard.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gage wrote: »

Fallout 2 for PC.

Straight up, I let my friend borrow FO1 and 2 and FOT:BoS... he left for the military and hasnt been back since... that was like 4 years ago.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    I can't find the first disk for Rome: Total War /cry

This would depress me so very much.

Original copies of PSX Final Fantasy Tactics and Anthology. I eventually found them in a Frys bargin bin so all was ok again.

Earthsiege 1 and 2. If someone has copies I will buy them off you.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ooooh I have a good story along these lines.

My friend had borrowed River City Ransom from another good friend of ours. We all loved RCR and would play it stupid amounts. One day we had a kid over who wasnt in our main circle of friends but he was alright.

After that River City Ransom disapeered, we looked all around my friend room where his NES was and it was nowhere to be seen. Putting 2 and 2 together we headed over to his house and yelled for him to give back the game. He hid inside and his older brother came out and threatened to and I quote "You Better Leave my brother alone or i'll rip your lungs out with a spoon"

Being that he was larger and older (I think we were like 13-14 he was 17 or something) we laughed told him to fuck off and ran away.

A few days later outside of my friends place laying on top of a shrub was River City Ransom.

After that we pretended that we were beating the shit out of that kid and his brother with the game.

Good times.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dungeon Keeper 2 ... I lent it out and never got it back but it's okay. That game wasn't as good as critics and fans made it out to be.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Who cares if you lost a game with 100% completion? You already did everything, you don't need to play the game ever again. Does it matter that much to you to prove to people you got 100%? That's really weird.

...O_o

Because I enjoyed the game? Getting 100% in that game was a pretty big feat, and I had everything unlocked for multi as a result. It was fun. Do I need a reason beyond that?

I was unaware that 'itt: we throw away games when we beat them'

I don't even know what Jet Force Gemini is, so maybe it has replay value that makes it worth keeping

I'm mostly thinking of something like Super Mario World which, although great fun, I would probably put aside after 100%.

Either way I'm sure your game was better than Mystic Quest

Man... Everyone hates Mystic Quest, but me. I loved that game. D:

I thought it was pretty fun. Not turribly deep. But entertaining. At least when I was playing it as a kid.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had this 2 cd set of 1000 games, that was largely freeware and shareware and much of it was crap. It kept me occupied for a good long time though. I lent it to a guy in high school, he never gave it back. Fortunately most of that stuff is available online now.

A friend lent me like, 10-15 ps1 games. He has never asked for them back. Somehow I ended up with 2 copies of FF8 and 9.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Killer Instinct for the SNES, I know it wasn't the most indepth game but I really missed it when it went missing.

.la1n on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My ex boyfriend still has my copy of Shadow of the Colossus. I want to play it so fucking bad..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent my cousins Pitfall II for the Atari 2600 one summer. They lent me Dolphin. It was pretty much understood that we'd trade back the next time we saw each other, which turned out to be about 2 years later. Of course, they had forgotten it wasn't theirs during that time and sold it at a garage sale. Dolphin != Pitfall II. :( But it was on that Activision Anthology, so it's all good now.

I lent Tiger Heli for the NES to a classmate in 7th grade. I think I borrowed Cobra Triangle. When we were going to exchange them back, some other kid confronted me and said that Cobra Triangle was, in fact, his, and that the other kid had been borrowing it from this guy. This guy was not someone I wanted to mess with, so I gave it to him. Never got Tiger Heli back because it was all bullshit. I was more annoyed because it had been a gift from my uncle, and didn't want to have to tell him what happened to Tiger Heli -- it wasn't that great of a game.

I lent Mike Tyson's Punch Out to someone, and never got it back. Somehow I ended up acquiring the version with Mr. Dream, though. It might've been lent to me, and I never returned it to someone else?

SteevL on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .la1n wrote:
    Killer Instinct for the SNES, I know it wasn't the most indepth game but I really missed it when it went missing.

And it doesn't help that the carterage is black, does it?

My ex boyfriend still has my copy of Shadow of the Colossus. I want to play it so fucking bad..

You should have told me last week, I would have gotten it for you. My buddies and I were at the Long Beach Car Show. We're all big guys with even bigger tattoo's. SotC is a game worth getting back.

And they don't call me Papa Bear for nothing ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A dude at school lent me OoT to to try out. It was fucking cool. I then promptly returned it and purchased (*begged my parents) a copy of my own.

Another friend lent me his original Game Boy to play Pokemon Red. I eventually saved up for a GBC and returned it.

Another friend lent me Super Smash Bros. I played it for a while, then promptly returned it.

I am pretty awesome.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When one of my friends used to come over, he ALWAYS wanted to play Kirby Superstar. ALWAYS. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game. But it's ALL HE EVER WANTED TO DO. What's worse was that he sucked at it hard. So, in my frustration, I hid it and told him that I had lost it. Then when I went back to get it, I couldn't find it.

Never did.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't even know how many games my friend has out on loan from me, mostly xbox games

He straight up lost my other friend's copy of Super Puzzle Fighter for PS1, it was such a good game.

Now that I think about it I have my friend's copy of MGS3 but we talk often and he's not much of a gamer anyway, I don't think he misses it.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have had two Super Dodge Ball cartridges vanish mysteriously. For all I know, they're STILL in this house somewhere.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I win:

I lent ALL of my N64 Games (including my N64) to my neighbor.

Did that with my best friend and my SNES. He ran off with his girl's best friend (who I liked) and all my stuff.

I now hate Nintendo, and friendship.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HeffajiHeffaji Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mega Man X3. I have no idea what happened to it, but I'm still bothered as to where it is now.

Heffaji on
    917813-1.png
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My friend had two N64 games of mine. Paperboy, and Clayfighter 63 1/2.

His house then burnt down. D:

Ranx on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranx wrote: »
    My friend had two N64 games of mine. Paperboy, and Clayfighter 63 1/2.

His house then burnt down. D:

They probably caused the fire, those two games are hellspawn.

Right after I got Shadowgate for the GBC someone borrowed it from me and I didn't remember until years later that he had ran off with it. Also, my friend moved down to North Carolina with my Mario Party 2 and worse still, Harvest Moon 64. He keeps coming up to visit yet forgets those two games. I replaced HM 64 by borrowing it from a friend, so the cycle continues.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lost my copy of the original Tetris that came with the original Game Boy. (Still have that, though.)

Only other game I've ever lost was when I let a kid up the street from me borrow Goldeneye. Jackass never gave it back, but the pain was lessened somewhat when I picked up Perfect Dark.

On the flip side, I borrowed and re-borrowed LttP over the course of a year until I beat it and then gave it back. Never owned a Zelda game until OoT came out.

Edit: I feel sorry for you folks who lost copies of things like FF3US. The jackass who stole if has probably sold it off for big bucks by now. :\

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent few games over the years and never got them back, but the one that I did and still regret to this was Kirby Superstar.

I used to hang out with a kid down the blow from me. He was a savant when it came to video games. Give him 20 minutes, and he could master any game. Well, I felt bad for the kid, so we would hang out. He'd show me all these moves on SFII, the secrets in Super Mario Bros., speedbeating the original LoZ. He was so attracted to this Kirby game, that any time he saw it, he had to play it. I didn't mind, I loved the game, it was my favorite at the time. I loaned him things in the past, and always got them back in pretty good shape, so I loaned him Kirby. I didn't see him for about a week and a half, and was getting pretty antsy about it.

The next night, there's a big commotion down the street, I head over, and there's a crazy crime scene there. Police all over the place, tape everywhere. I ask someone what was happening, and they said someone broke into the house. The robber tried to take the kid's video game systems (he had something like 5 or 6 at this time) and the kid flipped out. The robber shot the kid, the father came in, got shot but disabled the robber and the police showed up. The mother, after the whole debacle, goes and sells everything the kid owned. She couldn't look at them anymore, understandably so. However, my kirby was still in his system, and she sold it. D:
    The whole situation just sucked.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not a game per se, but I once lost my Super Mario Land 2 box. I really liked that boxart :(

I just left it on a table place and never saw it again.

RockinX on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .la1n wrote: »

I let my cousin borrow my copy. I haven't seen him in the 12 year since.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    I let some guy borrow:

Dreamcast / Marvel vs Capcom / Sonic Adventure

He fell off the face of the earth after a week. What a dick.

He probably took it to Paramount or Bellflower because he knew you would go in there looking for it ...

He was from Paramount.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    .la1n wrote:

And it doesn't help that the carterage is black, does it?

You should have told me last week, I would have gotten it for you. My buddies and I were at the Long Beach Car Show. We're all big guys with even bigger tattoo's. SotC is a game worth getting back.

And they don't call me Papa Bear for nothing ...
    Papa Bear? Are you like big burly man gay?

Thanks for the offer, but it's fine, if we ever talk again I'll demand it back. I already sent a sack with all his shit back via mutual friend. Man it's been almost a year since I've played the game now.

I'm just kinda kicking myself over it thought. I spent so long convincing him to play it because I knew he'd love it. Then he got hooked and right after that we broke up while he happened to have the game at his place. Fuck..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    let the valedictorian borrow FF3 US in my last year of high school

fucker 'lost' it

delphinus on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .la1n wrote: »

I'm in the same boat as you. My brother also lent my AVP2 to a friend of his a long time ago, and I've never seen it since.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zelda WW Gold Disc and SSB Brawl?... my little cousin kept pestering me until I finally gave in and let him "borrow" them... he was 6 years old at the time and his dad finally got him a Gamecube... now the little M.F.er thinks he's hot shit...

But yeah is it wrong for a 25 year old man to ask a kindergardner for his games back? D: It just feels wrong for some reason.

Aside from that, never lend your games out unless you get something in return.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    I lent few games over the years and never got them back, but the one that I did and still regret to this was Kirby Superstar.

I used to hang out with a kid down the blow from me. He was a savant when it came to video games. Give him 20 minutes, and he could master any game. Well, I felt bad for the kid, so we would hang out. He'd show me all these moves on SFII, the secrets in Super Mario Bros., speedbeating the original LoZ. He was so attracted to this Kirby game, that any time he saw it, he had to play it. I didn't mind, I loved the game, it was my favorite at the time. I loaned him things in the past, and always got them back in pretty good shape, so I loaned him Kirby. I didn't see him for about a week and a half, and was getting pretty antsy about it.

The next night, there's a big commotion down the street, I head over, and there's a crazy crime scene there. Police all over the place, tape everywhere. I ask someone what was happening, and they said someone broke into the house. The robber tried to take the kid's video game systems (he had something like 5 or 6 at this time) and the kid flipped out. The robber shot the kid, the father came in, got shot but disabled the robber and the police showed up. The mother, after the whole debacle, goes and sells everything the kid owned. She couldn't look at them anymore, understandably so. However, my kirby was still in his system, and she sold it. D:
    The whole situation just sucked.

Wait, did the kid die? D:

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's never wrong to demand your games back. You can ask, sure. But you have every right to terminate the borrow period, especially if it's family. I went through some trouble with my dreamcast, and letting my cousin borrow it. He had it for a few months, then I wanted it back. He said he wasn't done, since he started getting games illegally.

I didn't care, since it was in essence, mine, not his. His mother (my aunt) threw a fit, and I ended up just taking it when they weren't home, and he made his mom buy him a new one.

Fast forward 6 months, the little brat then claims I stole his dreamcast (he lent it to a friend who in turn broke it) and told his mom to get it back. She came over demanding I give back the machine, which I never did.

Problem is, my brother then lent the machine to him a few months later when I wasn't aware of it, and I still can't get the thing back. They have it locked up somewhere.

Basically, NEVER loan your games out. I'm having a problem now with people at work and books I've lent out. I think 3 months is long enough to read a manga. Seriously. If it's taking you that long to read it, you need to buy it. I'm not a damned library.

People recommend me stuff, so I rent or buy the things myself. I don't borrow, because I do not want to be responsible for any potential damages that could happen in a house with 3 cats.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let someone in highschool borrow my Diablo II and LOD Expansion Junior year before summer.
    Never got it back.
    I got the entire battlechest for pretty cheap later on so it wasn't that bad.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a weird, WEIRD, multi-layered version of the template story set up by this thread. Anyway, it's TL;DR material, but it's a crazy fucking coincidence.

Killer Instinct Gold, my first N64 game:
    Killer Instinct Gold, my first N64 game (I rented from launch up until getting that for Christmas '96).
    I was a huge KI fan since getting the first the day it was in stock and learning the ropes on the SNES XBAND from the very hour/minute support for it went into "beta" (first match was against NOAKITEAM1 during school hours... I was home schooled).

As much as I loved Killer Instinct Gold, I decided to part for a few days with my $75 game so that I could get a neighborhood troublemaker to leave my apartment (it was late '97 by this time). I knew where he lived. My niece was his girlfriend. I didn't anticipate that I'd have any trouble getting it back and, well, I didn't (actually, I did have to go get it myself but that's not the issue). It was early January and I got it back on the day I was leaving for West Virginia to stay for a half-year and complete 11th grade in public school (it just wasn't going to happen living with my mom and her insistence on home-schooling or in my apartment). When I got there, I wasn't allowed to connect my N64 or SNES for five months, but somehow (I was being sneaky) I soon discovered that the dude had soaked KI Gold in cola (or "pop" as they call it in West Virginia). I've fixed friends' "ruined" SNES games that took a cola dump by soaking with water and drying, but that wasn't enough to fix KI Gold. It was safe to try because, contrary to popular belief, most N64 games used EEPROM/FlashRAM for save progress and not battery-backed SRAM. Even so, it was toast and I was far too far away from home to do something about it with the bastard responsible.

It didn't matter so much: I had a DRV64 backup unit and a backup. Having a broken N64 game was actually my justification for using that functionality! Over the next year, I tried to fix it with PCB alcohol baths and other label-ruining methods (though I always tried to protect the label).

When I came back home to Georgia five months after this began, I came back to the same assholes that always lived here. One of them in particular had borrowed my entire SNES collection and never returned it. His brother and friend had borrowed Illusion of Gaia and Super Mario RPG without returning them before even that! I was very intimidated by him and I just never went over to get them until so many years had passed that his brother had long claimed them and gotten rid of it all (well, once I noticed him playing my favorite, Tetris Attack, but he insisted that it was his :(). He sort of grew up thinking that they were his and he was sure that a specific person (not me or his brother) had given them to him.

Anyway, the asshole older brother had a problem with being a compulsive liar and trying his damndest to goad me into an argument to disprove his ridiculous claims (it was a game to him). It was usually obvious, like when he argued that the had a "surround sound expansion" for his N64 that fit into the slot with the Jumper Pak. He'd insist for HOURS even though he was talking to someone who owned a DrV64 "surround sound enhancer" who also knew exactly what would one day go under the "Memory Expansion" door and who knew that the N64 could do Dolby Pro Logic-compatible surround sound without any kind of upgrade. When it wasn't so obvious, he'd get so pushy that I believe he even convinced himself. To this day, I have no idea if he ACTUALLY thought he could fix my Killer Instinct Gold game pak or not, but it takes a pretty big fucking retard to think that this would fix it:

Him: "Give it here. I can fix it."
    Me: "No you can't. I know far more than you about electronics. I study at home on my HeathKits."
    Him: "No, seriously. I've seen it before. Just let me see it"
    [I give it to him to shut him up/embellish him/let him embarrass himself (whichever results)]
    Him: "I need some tin foil."
    Me: "Nope. Even if I had some tin foil, there's no way in hell that anything you do with it can fix it."
    Him: "I need a knife. You see, it's these contacts right here in the N64."
    Me: "No it's not. Every other game works fine and the reason this one doesn't is well known (he's been told)"
    Him: "No, seriously. I've fixed this exact same problem. I need a knife. Seriously. Give me a knife."
    [I try to ignore him but I can't after he steps out of the room and makes his way toward the kitchen... I know what he's after: He's actually CONVINCED HIMSELF that trying whatever idiotic thing had popped into his mind would work and so he would continue on with his bluff to prove it.]
    Me: "Don't you dare stick that in my N64!"
    [I then follow him into the kitchen as he keeps me away with his other flailing arm "bully-style" and carries the game to the dish-rack where he grabs a strong fork instead. When we get back to the N64, I actually believe that he's joking and that he wouldn't dare so I let up a little and observe, but not before a little more asserting...]
    Me: "Listen, I know a million times more than you about this stuff, and you'd better not even dare do what I think you're about to do."
    [I watch as he sticks the fork under the metal in the game pak and pries it out so it bends toward the cartridge connector]
    Me: "You moron. That's the grounding plate. It's not supposed to go inside the cartridge connector and if you stick it in anyway it'll mangle the pins and tear up the console. Don't you dare do it. You're already ruining it but it's not too late for me to bend back. Look, just smell it. That's the smell of cola and fried electronics. You don't fix that by bending a plate."
    [It the boldest I've ever been with him.]
    Him: "No, trust me man. I know what I'm doing."
    [It falls on deaf ears and he knows it. He then moves it toward the N64 and, as I reach out to grab it and stop him, he starts doing the bully-style flailing push with his other arm again. He jabs it in the N64 and it won't go in (DUH). I'm pissed and yelling.]
    Me: "Get the hell out of here! Look what you did to the pins! You stupid motherfucker."

He goes into "defensive mode" and starts apologizing and swearing that he can still fix it. As I yell and drive him toward the front of the trailer. He begs me to let him take the game pak and "fix" it at home. I'm still laughing ad how retarded he must be if he thinks he can do that but I've had enough of his shit and I just want him out. Sure enough, I never see the game again. Strike that. There's more to this.

The N64 cartridge slot had a big gash on the outside and it never really played right again (if you bumped it while a game pak was inserted, it'd freeze). Luckily, my Dr.V64 used the expansion on the bottom of the console as a cartridge connector and it dumped the games using its own connector, so I still had a fully functional setup until the >256mbit games arrived (it was 1998 and the largest that year was the upcoming 256mbit TLoZelda: TOoT). By that time, I had a slot-mounted V64jr 512 and a new N64 instead. It wasn't until recent years when I found KI Gold cheap enough to warrant buying it used, considering that I still had my box, manual, etc and no place had ever had it new and in stock since the incident.

Now, I said that there was more and there is. Until early this month or late last month, it was long gone. I often scour Goodwill for rare gaming collectibles and I found something curious: Another copy of Killer Instinct Gold for a buck minus a 25% student discount. Even though it was in bad condition as far as label wear and I had recently replace my old copy, I still have a few friends that would want it. It stayed in the car for a few days and in the Goodwill bag on the counter for a few more before I finally got around to it. When I removed it from the bag, I had the impulse to remind my twin brother of the incident. You see, despite my representation of it so far, he was right there with me through every bit of it. He was there from initially loaning the game, going to school in West Virginia, observing and objecting to the incident, etc. As you can see, we both would know that it had the distinct smell of fried electronics and cola when you sniffed the cartridge connector, and we had both smelled it many times when trying to repair it, so we had this exchange:
    Me: "Hey Evans?"
    [He looks away from his PC to see me holding it and holding the bag. I pretend to be sniffing it for the second time, but I am actually sniffing it for the first time.]
    Me: "This is our old cartridge!"
    [I had just let loose the canned line I was jokingly going to say, but as I smell it I have the sudden realization that it really is our old cartridge. I really *could* smell it! With genuine skepticism, he responds...]
    Him: "No way. Yeah right."

I somewhat disbelievingly told him that I was just making it up, but it appears to be true (due to the smell and label damage). He smells it too and comes to the same conclusion. Then, we both remembered the bent metal and we look to find the metal plate bowed out from the fork-jabbing retard. CONFIRMED.

Now, does that disqualify me from this thread because a 10yr old game I "never saw again" as of last month is suddenly back? I think it qualifies on the merits of it having been borrowed twice throughout this endeavor and took who-knows what miraculous path back to the thrift store. I'm surprised no one threw it away (it was non-functional after all). I didn't bother with trying to get a refund at Goodwill... this is some kind of trophy!

Guess what fork-stabbing retard called me for computer help during my 12hr shift at work that Saturday? Oh, you can imagine how THAT conversation went. "You remember that time when you..." It was very easy to get him off the phone that time. I preferred to use the "make him uncomfortable by bringing up something he should be self-conscious about and make him uncomfortably wonder if I'm still pissed" method rather than the "get pissed and challenge him about it making an enemy out of someone who knows where I live, what I have, and when my stuff is unattended." I normally refuse to answer him at any other phone so he's sorta trained through non-success to just call me at work when he's in a jam and needs my technical advice.

CZroe on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still have my old school friend's Planscape Torment.

But..you know, where would I find another?
    Besides, someone else still has my Fallout 1 and 2

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was that guy, but not by choice. It was one of my dad's friends' son, and it was the first time we met. He let me borrow Mercenaries and Ace Combat 4. Right after that, the parents got in a fight, so I never saw him again. I feel bad, but at the same time, hey two cool games for free. :P

YardGnome on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man that reminds me.

A friend of my little brother's lent him the GBA port of Yoshi's Island.

...then we moved. D:

I feel so bad.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Oh man that reminds me.

A friend of my little brother's lent him the GBA port of Yoshi's Island.

...then we moved. D:

I feel so bad.

I got the bad end of that TWICE... both times were after my original copy was lost inside a Target Lime Green Black Friday 2003 edition GBA. My brother set it on the roof of our car. I've given that game as a gift twice before, so I've bought it a ridiculous amount of times already (not even counting the SNES version) and I still don't have a copy to keep.

CZroe on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have as spoils of borrowing and moving away
    -Super Bass Fishing for the NES
    -Clay Fighter for SNES
    -Samurai Warriors for Xbox

I have lost from borrowing and moving away
    -King's Quest Collection for PC
    -Legacy of Kain for Xbox
    -Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for GBA (Ex still has this)

Games lost to suspicious circumstances
    -Ninety-nine Nights for Xbox 360
    -Chrome Hounds for Xbox 360

Incomplete Games
    -Psychonauts for PC

I'm missing the first disc of Psychonauts, and I managed to convince my girlfriend to play it. Of course, she also said she was going to try World of Warcraft and never did.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent a (no longer) friend of mine my copy of FF8. A few weeks later, I got it back.

Only the discs were so fucked up that I literally couldn't start a new game, as it would always freeze when playing the intro movie.

Fucker.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent Super Smash Brothers Melee to some chick and we lost touch and the next time I ran into her she denied knowing who I was, even though we were pretty good friends about two years before.

Bitch never gave it back to me. I hope you enjoy your copy of SSBM in hell.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.