As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FAFSA Form Question

Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
How can you complete the FAFSA without your parents’ tax information?

My friend Kellee wants to go to college. But when she went to fill out the FAFSA her evil mother refused to give up the tax info. Since Kellee is 20, she’s classified as a dependent student. I know there’s a way around this, I just don’t know what it is.

The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
Nite-Man on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, when you're under 18, get yourself emancipated.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To my knowledge, there is not. Especially if she is filed as dependent.
    There is a non-profit organization in my city called Education Quest that assists with FAFSA related stuff for free and my roommate (19) wanted to file without his parents' taxes (as he is independent) and he told me that they said FAFSA still required the parent tax information.

Is tax information completely private? Can such information be requested from the government if the parent won't give it to you?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty much the only other way is to get your school's financial aid person to do an override, for which she'd need to prove some pretty serious stuff, beyond "she won't give me her tax information."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To do a FASFA online you need to supply at least one parents information. I just filled mine out a month ago and I could not find any way around it.

I just had to call up one parent and get the data.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did she explain to her mother that she needs that info to be able to get almost ANY kind of Financial Aid besides Scholarships? I'm sure she's "evil" or whatever, but maybe she just doesn't understand why your friend needs it. As long as she's a dependent, her FAFSA has to have that info or else she probably won't be able to get any loans through the school, and thus she probably won't be able to afford it. Maybe you could get her to explain to her mom that this could literally mean the difference between going to college or not - that might get her to relent a little.

I have to say, even though I regret waiting so long to get back into school, I am glad that I was considered independent by the time I started doing all this stuff. Cutting the parents out altogether makes things so much easier (even if I will be in soul-crushing debt when I graduate).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    HolyHesusHolyHesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    According to a college adviser they told my family just too estimate then update the info as soon as you have the hard copy.

HolyHesus on