As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name That Game!

2»

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    bigwah wrote: »
    bigwah wrote: »
    I've been trying to think of a game I played back then, was MS-DOS game and was kind of a puzzle game. You portrayed a Indiana Jones type of guy and had to try to figure you way thru the level, which was only one screen, no scrolling. I can see it in my head still, but have no clue about the name.

Someone has to know what game this is. One cookie to the first correct response, I promise.
    Like, every level was just one screen? Something in the vein of Jumpman or Miner 2049er?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Montezuma's Revenge?

monteb_i.gif

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oooh, I just thought of one that's been bugging me.

It was a fantasy RTS from the 90's I think. PC, obviously. I don't remember much else except that one of the levels had you move an invisible guy through the enemy's base without touching any of their units. It may have been a dwarf/halfling rogue character thing. Afraid that's all I remember, but surely someone knows.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    ZizZiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How about this one? My friend had it, a PC game. I remember being all impressed because we (my family, always behind the computer times) only had a computer that could play a few floppy games. One had you trying to stop fires from spreading, when I was little I didn't' see how lighting more fires would help you accomplish this.

Anyway, my friend's game. I can't remember much, but it started with a flashback (or was it a dream, oooooo) where someone drilled into your head and stuck an alien in. Or something like that. The game was pretty open ended after that as you tried to find out what happened. The graphics weren't cartoony. I remember we died a lot, and when that happened you had to start over. I believe you had to be home before dark.

Ziz on
    218.jpg219.jpg217.jpg220.jpg
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pharaoh's Tomb - No
    Montezuma's Revenge - No

Like, every level was just one screen? Yes

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Werewulfy, War wind?
    ZiZ, Darkseed?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, nah, it had better graphics and I don't think it had really any sci-fi components. From what I remember it was just generic high fantasy.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here's a very obscure one. I only remember playing it in a computer class, so this must have been 1997 or so, but the game was very dated at that point. It was on two 5 1/4" floppies, I think.

It was kind of an exploration game. It was first person (Like Myst, kind of, but not interactable), and you went from room to room inside a pyramid searching for treasure or something. Sometimes you'd be presented with options about what to do.

kitch on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    Hmm, nah, it had better graphics and I don't think it had really any sci-fi components. From what I remember it was just generic high fantasy.
    Blood & Magic then, maybe?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man

i don't know if i've ever played any obscure title

really

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alright, if you guys can figure this out....wow.

Older game, working on Windows 3.1 or DoS here, May have been called "Homeworld" (Of no relation to current franchise).

The interface looks like a modern flash thing, where you'd point and click to pan the camera, move around, etc, in a "First Person" view, though I don't think the game had any guns. It started you off in your apartment, and your world was being attacked or invaded or something. You had to gather some things from your apartment and get the crap out. I could never get further than the hallway before I got caught and the game ended.

So, ideas?

Sounds like the beginning of Journeyman Project 2. Did you have to cloak when you were in your apartment to avoid detection?

They are making a TV series called Journeyman that has to do with the games, anyone know if this is the same franchise or not?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    ZizZiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Werewulfy, War wind?
    ZiZ, Darkseed?

Hrmm... looks like it! Thanks. :) I've been wondering about it for awhile. I can't remember much of the game but from time to time it'll pop into my head and I'll be left wondering what on Earth I played back then. :D

Ziz on
    218.jpg219.jpg217.jpg220.jpg
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I found it now that I'm home, Paganitzu Part I: Romancing the Rose:

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/211

Gonna go play now.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

Older game, working on Windows 3.1 or DoS here, May have been called "Homeworld" (Of no relation to current franchise).

The interface looks like a modern flash thing, where you'd point and click to pan the camera, move around, etc, in a "First Person" view, though I don't think the game had any guns. It started you off in your apartment, and your world was being attacked or invaded or something. You had to gather some things from your apartment and get the crap out. I could never get further than the hallway before I got caught and the game ended.

So, ideas?

Sounds like the beginning of Journeyman Project 2. Did you have to cloak when you were in your apartment to avoid detection?

They are making a TV series called Journeyman that has to do with the games, anyone know if this is the same franchise or not?

The TV series doesn't have anything to do with the old Journeyman games. You can probably find a preair torrent of the first episode out there somewhere if you look hard enough. From what I've been told it's more a romance show than a sci-fi one. I think I read somewhere that the concept was based on a novel.

Incidentally, there was a movie out that carried the Journeyman name a few years ago that also has nothing to do with the game.

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

So, ideas?

Er, Homeworld.

That is, Gateway II: Homeworld, based on the Frederick Pohl series of novels about the Heechee. It's a text adventure from Legend (See also: Spellcasting 101, Erik the Unready)

mattclem on
  • Options
    PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mattclem wrote: »

So, ideas?

Er, Homeworld.

That is, Gateway II: Homeworld, based on the Frederick Pohl series of novels about the Heechee. It's a text adventure from Legend (See also: Spellcasting 101, Erik the Unready)

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=446

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that's been bugging me.

It was a fantasy RTS from the 90's I think. PC, obviously. I don't remember much else except that one of the levels had you move an invisible guy through the enemy's base without touching any of their units. It may have been a dwarf/halfling rogue character thing. Afraid that's all I remember, but surely someone knows.

Rage of Mages?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    mamofishmamofish Registered User new member
    Pej wrote: »
    schmads wrote: »
    Panickd wrote: »
    schmads wrote: »
    Panickd wrote: »

Beneath a Steel Sky?

I don't remember the game in particular, but I don't think it's BASS. In BASS, you start out in an upper part of a busted up old factory, rather than a nice apartment. It is futuristic, though, and if anyone can figure out what game he is talking about, I want to play it! I'm thinking it's not one of the Scumm games, though.

Right. I was thinking it was maybe Martian Memorandum or Mean Streets but those came out earlier than 95 or 96.

Looking those up on Moby, I'm intrigued. I love me some good ol' point-and-click. It's possible that he could have meant Martian Memorandum (some of the screenshots look like fancy apartments and mines), but you're right that it seems unlikely considering it came out in 1991.

Despite being an avid adventure gamer I've not played any of the Tex Murphy games yet so its certainly possibly but like I said, I distinctly remember it running in Windows 95 natively. At the time I was still running DOS and 3.11 so I was impressed to see a good looking game running in Windows.

Oh, I have played through some of BASS (though I haven't ever completed it for some unknown reason) and am fairly certain it isn't the mystery game.

Bumping a really old thread but, I was just searching for this and was able to find it. It's called "The Journeyman Project Turbo"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OAcXgAhjM

This is the only place I found with someone asking about the same game I was looking for, thought I'd let you know in case you never found it.

• Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    mamofish wrote: »

Bumping a really old thread but, I was just searching for this and was able to find it. It's called "The Journeyman Project Turbo"

This is the only place I found with someone asking about the same game I was looking for, thought I'd let you know in case you never found it.

Damn! A blast from the past. I never did find the game, for the record. So, I'm not 100% that this actually it as I don't recall it being first person but some of the scenes do indeed look familiar so it's definitely possible. I don't think I'll know for sure until I play it myself or watch a play through. Thank you, good sir!

This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.